Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
The thing I see new players do at neighborhood games is call WAY too frequently. Because calling is seen as friendly, but not weak, and they lose very quickly.

Basically a good excercise as a newbie, spend your first hour never calling. Either Raise or Fold, because you don't know what a good call is yet, and you don't have a grasp on hands yet. so chances are, a raise or fold are better choice than a call, but because you've been socially conditioned to play along, you call.

The other big mistake I see is people not understanding how vastly the odds and the strength of hands changes based on how many people are playing. Playing with 10-8 isn't that different but there's a HUGE difference in what's strong between playing 4 & 5 people.

Also playing some tournament style poker tends to sharpen you faster as it's really easy to just lose money at low stakes and not care. Getting knocked out of a tournament at any stakes sucks.

But then again, I'm a pretty bad poker player, and I can't consistently beat anything. I tend to get very bored playing tight, which is why I like 1 table tournaments, you have to start getting very aggressive at a certain point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
You're right, but in my experience, with a lot of very new players, they just call and call and call and call, and are scared to raise or and don't want to look weak to the group so they fold.

I've seen people call *with a bluff*. Developing ranges for their opponents isn't even an idea, a value bet is a new concept to some people.

And yes poker is about making money, but at live low-stakes games with friends, I'm there to learn, and make each other better, and make the game better. I have way more fun arguing about a play, and teaching each other better poker through play than to grind it out. Poker can be a really fun interesting game.

Also, I'm thinking of getting back into Online, and saw people recommend Bovada, is there one to recommend these days? I live in NYC.

• Locked thread