Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Ten years ago I started lurking in PITR, watching JCarver videos. For 7-8 years I was a poker pro until last January when I decided to move onto other things. It's been a long, strange journey..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Imaduck posted:

I think this could come back if online poker becomes easier to use and more popular again. Basically, this means more states are going to have to legalize online poker, and the player pools will need to be merged. From what I understand - while it's not as good as the pre-Black Friday ages - there are still plenty of bad players to be found on Pokerstars international. The brief explosion of daily fantasy sports in the states tells me that there are still plenty of Americans that'd be willing to gamble online if they were given the opportunity. Right now, people have to jump through way too many hoops to play in the US, so only somewhat dedicated players are going to end up on the sites.

I'd love to hear your stories! What got you into it? How big did you make it? What was your life like? What made you quit? Are you glad you did it?

PITR got me started. Reading posts from JCarver, EC10, Adar..then transitioned to Cardrunners and HUSNG.com with CTS, Lotto Lenya, Croixdawg, etc. Not sure what you would define as "big". I made six figures plus most years playing $60-300 six max and then later on heads up SNGs, making videos for Cardrunners and PokerStrategy, coaching, running a stable, etc. What made me quit? I've been doing real estate for about five years because I knew poker wasn't going to last with the government crackdowns...buying rentals, doing flips, etc. Last year I decided it was time to push off and pivot hard into something permament. Games were really bad, I would be waiting for two hours for a $100 game, on a good day maybe play 20 games..it just got old real quick. Super glad I did it though. It gave me the freedom to do what I wanted when I wanted for a long time. Never working more than 30 hours a week, traveling to Iceland, waking up and deciding I am going to go golf instead of work, buying investment properties, etc. It treated me very well.

One story sticks out. I was never a MTT player but one year I decided to do the whole WSOP thing. I thought I would play a light schedule, maybe 15 tournaments. The first day there I get to the Rio and valet my truck and I am walking in and realize I left fifty grand in cash on the passenger seat (I was so green back then I didn't realize you could wire money to the cage there). I go into a dead sprint to catch the guy valeting my car and grab it. Phew, that could of been a bad start. The first event I play was the $2,500 mixed limit / no limit. In the first ten minutes I get it in with AA against AK and AK. I am thinking "this is how my legend begins, tripling up and final tabling my first ever WSOP tournament" then it four flushed and I lost. Oh well, I have a good bad beat WSOP story I thought. Then the next day I got food poisoning from some bad Thai food. I end up in the hospital near death and miss the entire rest of the series. Maybe it was God's way of telling me to stay away from MTTs.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Imaduck posted:

Thanks faarcyde, that's really interesting!

Are you in the US? Did you consider going overseas for better Poker action, or were you just ready to get out of it?

I live in Detroit..from 2012-2015 I rented an apartment in Windsor so I could play on Stars and Full Tilt. I commuted back and forth, it was about a 25 minute drive depending on tunnel traffic. I have geography run good.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

I had never before considered this angle for some reason

I suppose there are also a bunch of American pros in San Diego who commute for work into Mexico

Hm.

That doesn't work because it can take 2-3 hours to get back into the country form Mexico. Usually only takes 10 minutes in Windsor/Detroit, on a bad day maybe 30.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Sheep-Goats posted:

Oh okay. Is it specifically Windosor/Detroit or is this kind of a US/Canada border thing?

It'd be weird if there was a large community of online poker pros in Detroit for the sake of one workable border there.

It's not a major drug hub so the border is pretty efficient. You can sign up for an express lane that makes it a lot easier where you are pre-screened.

There are a lot of people who do it..I know 4-5 acquaintances. 2+2 used to have a Windsor thread although it's been a while since I was involved over there.

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Murgos posted:

Like many I dabbled in poker 10-12 years ago. I think it was reading 2+2 that put me off it for good though. Reading accounts of people much better than I was at the time talk about their online BB/hour rates while grinding out 6-8 1/2 or 3/6 tables at Party or Stars made me realize that it was way too much like work to be any fun and that the real expected payout for maybe 90% of them wasn't any better than having a only half decent profession.

Lots and lots of people made a lot of money. You could make six figures working 25 hours a week as a slightly above average regular in midstakes games up to about 3-4 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005

Terrorforge posted:

Let's try this thing:

I'm playing .01/.02 cash games on PokerStars. I'm small blind and have AhAd in the hole.

Preflop, everyone folds to me. I raise to 3xBB. Big blind calls.

Flop comes up 10c2d3h. I bet 1/3 the pot (2xBB), thinking I probably still have the best hand and might be able to entice them to put more money in.

Big blind immediately raises to 2.5x the pot (20xBB).

What do I do now? Have I made any mistakes up to this point? How badly dig I just mangle the jargon?

e: in case you don't feel like counting, at this point there are 27BB in the pot, and calling would cost 18BB
I've been retired for a couple years now but I will dust off the ole strat hat.

1) Your pre-flop bet size was good but you want to bet at least half pot on the flop when you continuation bet. There are spots where betting very small could be awesome but as a standard half pot is good. Half pot gets some value but it also works well as a bluff if you have air. When you bet so small you are giving him a good price to catch up to you for cheap or you are not getting enough value when he has a second best hand.

2) Always be thinking about the texture of the board when you are evaluating a hand. It seems like you are doing that given you provided the suits on the flop. One of my first "a ha" moments as a player was considering the combination of hands someone can have on the flop. If we take your example of T32, the answer is very few. Calling in the big blind, he can have a lot of hands, but it is unlikely that he has any two pair hands (for example he isn't calling with T3o, probably). So it makes the range of hands he can have very slim when he check raises. Really the only hands he can have that beat you are 22, 33, TT (which is prob reraising preflop), T3s, T2s, 32s (the last three a lot less likely). With all that said, he probably has a ton of Tx in his range. AT, KT, QT, JT, T9, T8 and then maybe all the suited Tx. He can also have some draws like 45s, A5, etc.

3) Assuming you have 100 blind or less effective stacks, you have two options (folding is not one of them). We can either call his flop raise and let him hang himself on the turn when he commits himself or just get it in now. Both options have merit because if he does have, let's say QT, he will definitely get it in on the flop but if a card like a king comes on the turn he might get away from it. It is really a question of how often do you think he is bluffing or semi bluffing. Since we are talking about a 1 cent / 2 cent game, I would say the chances are pretty high. I think I would generally call the flop and get it in on the turn or if he checks the turn then ship it myself.

4) Just as an end note, always be thinking in terms of ranges and not individual hands. A common rookie mistake is people say "it feels like he has a set here". While of course that is possible, we need to play against the entirety of his hand distribution and not freak occurrences when he smashes the board. Ranges are everywhere...someone's checking range, their flop betting range, their river raising range, etc. Once you start thinking in those terms, it will open up a lot of possibilities.

Back when I was coaching I charged $200 an hour. That took me about 15 minutes so that was $50 of free advice :-p

• Locked thread