Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
To continue a discussion from the F-Plus thread: Have I just been running in weird circles or is Armor generally considered a minor classic of SF? Because I heard a lot of praise for that book over the years.

I even tried reading it myself, but got too annoyed and bored during the Jack Crow stuff to bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I realize language has changed over the years, but I don't think there was ever a time when "The executioner had goofed" was not funny

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Chris's dramatic reading was the best part, hands down.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is Niko's audio sped up, or does he just talk fast?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
J mentions this on the episode, but it really is surprising that Da Vinci Code is a bigger hit than Angels and Demons, because even though it's still not a good book, poo poo at least happens in Angels and Demons

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

Collision is a fine co-host and I enjoy his voice but the fact that he comes from a similar background to Friedman means that they seem to have a bit too much overlap with their interests and blind spots. It's why I like when other people come on, they actually break up the music/wrestling/gen X stuff that otherwise dominates the normal episodes.

This is a problem I've noticed in multiple podcasts where if two guys end up coming from a similar enough background and share enough interests, it tends to mean that they often get locked into viewing things in a certain way and can kind of reinforce each other into ruts.

It can also mean they have a good rapport though, so.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

im trying to think of episodes dominated by wrestling discussion that weren't already books about wrestling and drawing up a blank

Me either.

They share similar musical tastes, I suppose

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
And now we find out if there's enough of an overlap between IDEOTV fans and RPG nerds for someone to get angry about this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Random Stranger posted:

I overdosed on those books when I was young and they taught me to recognize completely poo poo books and that I shouldn't spend so much time reading poo poo.

The song in the episode is amazing.

THIS IS FOR ALL YOU GRASSLANDS FANS OUT THERE

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64-yM2n03BU Woah, this is some twisted poo poo...

Am I reading about Sqweegel or is Sqweegel reading about me?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

The snail in a maze made of salt at 1:55 :perfect:

That snail did not deserve to be hurt for the sake of fuckin' Level 26.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm probably going to have to track down that rat book

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There's such a thing as a dead horse having been an incredibly lovely rear end in a top hat horse while it was alive

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wolf In White Van is pretty decent too

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
inb4 a buncha goons stunting about how they totally didn't like it in high school

Nerdo, we all know you did

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

jokes on you motherfucker, i didn't read books in high school

poo poo you're cool

I'll go see if I can find my old locker to stuff myself into

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Crocobile posted:

Doesn't Card have some weird belief that intent is more morally important than the consequence? Or basically that the "means" justify the "ends" vs the other way around?

In which not being a ethical consequentialist is now a "weird belief"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Honestly that's what bothers me most about the Ender Hitler essay

Non-consequentialist ethical frameworks exist, and people believe them without being monsters. Read a book, nerdo.

EDIT: Though it's been a while, so I might be misremembering. Googling mostly turns up dead links.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Famethrowa posted:

That's not what the essay claims. It's entirely focused on the questionable ethics of the book in question.

quote:

The doctrine that the morality of an action is solely determined by the actor’s motive rests on a significant assumption: that the good always know what their motives are, and are never moved to do things for selfish reasons while yet thinking themselves moved by virtue

I internet archived it and this quote in particular is some bullshit

Sorry, no

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

That's a big plus for SF
You can create scenarios that would never exist in the real world and examine them as such. It's like saying Blade is an evil movie, because in real life there wouldn't be any vampires and he'd just be murderizing normal people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
E: actually I have decided to not follow through with this debate because this, as others have said, is not the place for it

I will say you have some weird hangups about Mormons. I have a Mormon friend and they're like, the best person I know, they aren't Darth Vader dude

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Famethrowa posted:

I have no problems with Mormons, or the religion at large, I have a problem with individual Mormons like Card, and with things promoted by the Mormon institution.

Fair enough

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Djeser posted:

That's not what he's saying in his argument though. He's not arguing that Ender's Game is evil because if it was in the real world, he'd be evil. He's arguing that Ender's Game has a flawed ethical system where people are good or evil only by merit of their intentions, and that the book is constructed in such a way that a "good" person (as judged by the ethical system evident in the book) can commit genocide while remaining innocent.

He isn't arguing against intention having any bearing on ethics, he's arguing against an ethical system where intentions are the be-all and end-all of ethics, which is the system he argues Ender's Game operates under.

If he is, he's doing a piss-poor job of it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This is also the one that had a movie adaptation that got on MST3k https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp1RTGZxBTw

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

The Time Dissolver posted:

I want to specifically refute this. It's a podcast, building your audience through what you talk about is the entire point. IDGAF about virtue signaling, only Nazis get up in arms about it. It's that uniquely Californian unctuousness that annoys me.

The term "virtue signalling" is a neo-nazi development, but I remember people getting angry af at macklemore and John Green for virtue signalling for years.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Improbable Lobster posted:

They weren't made about virtue signalling because it's a fake idea made up by neo-nazis.

They totes were. I agree it's dumb and neo-nazis have raised it to a way of life, so gently caress it regardless

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

No it isn't, because it was literally invented by neo-nazis. The term virtua signaling is literally something that neo-nazis invented.

I'm not a huge James Bartholomew fan, or a fan at all, but calling him a nazi is a bit harsh.

Guy Mann posted:

It's not a real thing because if you're at the point where you have to criticise the imagined motivations for a person's actions rather than the actions themselves then you've already lost. It's like an even more insufferable version of accusing other people of being philosophical zombies.

Oh in an actual debate it amounts to an ad hominem accusation of bad faith, it should definitely be frowned upon in any kind of rational discourse where it's a good idea to have a basic level of charity and assume your interlocutor is at least arguing in good faith, which is what I think a lot of the knee-jerk anger at the term comes from. When any left-wing sentiment at all is seen as "virtue signalling" it makes it impossible to have a real conversation.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Yes, I agree that it's a worthless term invented whole-cloth by a hate-mongering tabloid.

Time to go back to calling it slacktivism then

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Forums hosed up

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I am not born yet, and I refuse to listen to vaporwave post-EDM neorap just like all of my classmates. I wish I lived in the good old days when we had good bands like 3OH!3

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spark That Bled posted:

I'd remember Ride of the Valkyries more than The End, actually.

Well yes, but that's like remembering the Sister Christian scene in Boogie Nights more than the The Touch scene. They're both great, one is just better

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Random Stranger posted:

Worst part of the live episode is that they will not do Tyra Banks's Modelland as a future episode.

:argh: Cowards!

The Frank Herbert mutant bee thing was the highlight of the evening

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's like World of Synnibar but with an insane ten year old girl sensibility instead of an insane ten year old boy sensibility

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A popular rock band from the 1960s? It's actually bad, and you like it for reasons that are also bad. Now let me tell you about the last great Rush album, Presto.

Heath posted:

Thinking on it, the rub comes in where they're talking about biographical stuff vs. bad fiction. Clockwork Angels was okay because it had the fictional aspects of Kevin Anderson's awful writing to make fun of. The band books are (while mostly technically fictional) meant to be biographical and thus the show ends up turning from "look at how ridiculous and silly this fictional character is made to be" to "look at how lovely the subject of the book is/was" posturing. Instead of making fun of the author by way of his characters, they're making fun of the "character" by way of the author, and it's tiresome and not fun to listen to.

It's weird because the Money Pizza Respect and Seven Deadly Sins episodes were funny and good. Maybe they're just burnt out on hanging out in the mindspace of a lovely person after the United States has turned into the mindspace of a lovely person.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Spark That Bled posted:

Band books are the episodes I hate the most, usually because it means that it enables the things I hate the most about these guys: extra large music snobbery.
I've enjoyed some, but I hear ya

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Alaois posted:

it owns, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKpQgEyjNdM

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
that was one of the ones I enjoyed

Largely because it had nothing to do with Corey loving Taylor's music

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You guys get offended by weird poo poo

"Offended" is a weird way to put it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man he looks like a guy who will talk your ear off about Rush on a bus ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I read God's Debris when I was young and stupid, probably at the age Scott Adams said shouldn't read it because it would blow their minds too hard.

It seemed like a dumb stretch even then, though I'll be mildly controversial and say that as far as extended lectures by crazy people books go, it's still better than Ishmael by Daniel Quinn though it's a "getting a bad cold vs getting a bad flu" kind of thing.