Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yesss let the hate flow through you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

tithin posted:

And gets absolutely hosed by a bunch of reporters on why that's a bad idea.

And gets really uncomfortable when asked why it was fine for investigations into LNP members be left to the police and not this one. Reverts to the soundbite he was given but can't get off the merry go round. Hilarity ensues. This is the alternate Attorney General who doesn't believe in separation of powers.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Taht was great hope they dont lose their job now

Are you kidding, they should be swapped with the dickheads in Canberra: can you imagine the improvement in election reporting?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'll just leave this here, shall I?

reptilian overlord unmasked posted:

Would the last liberal in the Liberal Party please turn off the lights?

Waves of memberships, donations and pledges of support from people who have traditionally supported the Liberals are flowing into parties that support liberal values. We’ve certainly benefited at the Liberal Democrats, and we understanding the same has occurred at Family First. We first noticed a shift from the Liberals when the Coalition dropped its commitment to free speech and the repeal of Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act. And we have noticed it every time the government blocks a foreign investor, describes a new spending program as an ‘initiative’ or ‘investment’, or tweaks a tax to raise more revenue.

But the biggest wave of disappointed Liberal supporters has come as a result of the budget a few weeks ago. The budget increased discretionary spending, despite the previous acknowledgement that we have a spending problem. It increased taxes on multinationals and smokers, despite the Government previously ridiculing Labor when it proposed something similar. And it increased taxes on savers, despite the Government’s pledge that ‘there will be no new taxes on superannuation under this Government’.

The budget also abandoned the limp commitment to deliver a budget surplus equal to 1 per cent of GDP by 2023-24, despite the repeated rhetoric that government must live within its means.

Real liberals are leaving the Liberals in droves. A similar phenomenon has been seen before on the other side of politics. For years, the Greens have been gaining members, donations and votes from people who traditionally supported Labor, but who yearned for more interventionist policy in areas like tobacco control and renewable energy. Now the Coalition is losing support from traditional supporters who yearn for more liberal, responsible and market-oriented policies.

Such a transfer of support from the Coalition’s base to more market-oriented minor parties will come as no surprise to political theorists, for four reasons.

First, median voter theory suggests it is logical for the Coalition to sell out its base. Government is not won by the party most loyal to its founding principles; it is won by the party that wins the support of the ‘median voter’. This ‘median voter’ doesn’t identify with either the Coalition or Labor. Median voter support swings between parties from election to election. If the backroom apparatchiks in the Coalition or Labor think the ‘median voter’ wants bigger spending, more tax on the rich and bans on free speech and foreign investment, then that is what both the Coalition and Labor will offer.

Second, compulsory voting encourages the Coalition to appeal to people who are so politically apathetic that they would not bother to vote if it were voluntary. This slants the Coalition’s offerings away from policies that would appeal to their thoughtful traditional supporters, and towards superficial policies that appeal to the apathetic and ill-informed.

The third reason for the exodus of support from the Coalition to market-oriented minor parties is preferential voting. The wise heads among traditional Liberal supporters know they can safely send the party a message by voting 1 for a party such as the Liberal Democrats and 2 for the Coalition. Such a vote will either elect a market-oriented minor party candidate who can hold the government to account and help it cut spending and balance the budget — or it will elect a Coalition candidate. Such voting will in no way contribute to the formation of a Labor Government, or a Senate crossbench populated by the Greens.

Finally, the transfer of the Coalition’s base to market-oriented parties is reinforced by the Coalition’s decision to hold a double dissolution election. Disgruntled Coalition supporters who know their maths realise this is a great opportunity to flush obstructionist ferals from the Senate crossbench and introduce additional senators who can pass spending cuts and serve as the conscience of a Coalition government.

The Greens became the third force in Australian politics by pressuring Labor to adopt pious but economically irresponsible policies. The stage is now set for a fourth force to emerge to pull the Coalition back to its base.

With each passing week the Liberals are bleeding members, donors and first-preference votes. That the Prime Minister has arranged for this election campaign to be one of the longest in Australian history is surely a matter of considerable concern at Coalition campaign headquarters, and considerable celebration elsewhere.

David Leyonhjelm is a Senator for the Liberal Democrats

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It was:

what, me shill for votes? Never! posted:

The wise heads among traditional Liberal supporters know they can safely send the party a message by voting 1 for a party such as the Liberal Democrats and 2 for the Coalition. Such a vote will either elect a market-oriented minor party candidate who can hold the government to account and help it cut spending and balance the budget — or it will elect a Coalition candidate. Such voting will in no way contribute to the formation of a Labor Government, or a Senate crossbench populated by the Greens.

that made me :allears:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The safety word is "schmackos".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

The ball gag makes this darker than you probably intended (I hope).
Someone tweet Kenny and get blocked for your trouble.

Way to douse my comedy flamethrower, dude :mad:

Also gently caress LaTrobe Uni, suspended Roz Ward after :qq: racists complained about her Facebook post.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A quick effortpost on the campaign and some of the commentary:

Speaking of hopeless causes like the Dems, Dee Madigan guested on the most recent Double Disillusionists podcast and wanted a nice centrist party like the Dems back not like those hysterical lefty Greens. Yes, she's a Labor voter. The DD's dont think Labor can get in either, but if the current distress of David Cameron is anything to go by, it might just be the best election to lose right now. Until the LNP/IPA's ideas are run into the ground so that even the most thick marginal seat voter can see they've got no clue, I do fail to see how they're going to learn otherwise. It's the death of the ideology that's needed, whoever tries to put the best face on it as PM.

Back to the DDs who think that Turnbull has done so little it's hard to find ways to pin him to LNP mistakes, although I would have thought rubber-stamping everything Abbott's done plus a lovely Budget would be enough, but apparently not. If we have a lame minority government who can't pass legislation through a hostile Senate, surely that's good enough. What are they going to do, keep having DDs until they get one they like?

On the other hand, one of the issues I have with the podcast is how they tend to echo the CPG narrative on things, even if they interpret events in a different way, and the CPG is firmly of the belief that it'll all turn around for Mal, because he hasn't been losing enough, and because Shorten can't win enough. If you want true cynicism, check out Two Grumpy Hacks who clearly have so little faith in the process they're just amused by the inevitable stuff ups.

I think it's a bit early to be certain of the result, but I do think that the LNP will be damaged by this election. By "damaged" I don't just mean hopefully the end of Pyne's and Joyce's careers, but also the certainty of their polling in the areas they've clearly been taking for granted, and that they're still taking for granted. I expect ALP to retain its Victorian seats: they've totally misread our state, and their boots on the ground are hopeless, a fact I'm sure will be relayed to Michael Kroger in no small detail. Maybe Qld is a bridge too far for the ALP, but NSW and WA (lets assume SA is gone too) might be a shock for the LNP. Losing country NSW seats would be the danger sign, WA might be more of a parochial loss.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Frogmanv2 posted:

He is usually ok, but as was said before, anything related to gender, just put it in the bin.

I'm not sure he's all that good on Marx either, but I'm no expert. He's right in one thing: the dominant economic themes in current politics are quite besides the point, a discussion between the haves about "how much have" they should get instead of addressing the have-nots who only matter at election time and can be dispensed with otherwise. Globalism is such that governments seem powerless, and unless globalism enforces a better duty of care, there won't be any.

Tokamak posted:

What a strange article by Rundle. A mess and confusion of ideas where I'm left unsure as to the purpose of the article.

That's a normal response to Grundle.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 5, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Very Pythonesque, that line. That's why it seems he has a rather undergrad take on Marxism. If you're taking "doctrine of liberation" seriously you've already lost the plot.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fliptophead posted:

I chose not to bother with arguing the point...but this is obviously something that's doing the rounds.

Meanwhile Baird had done a great job killing Kings Cross so his mates can get some sweet resi developments up and running.

Yeah the juxtaposition of that narrative and fact is typically bizarre political behaviour from the ALP. Positioning yourself as "not as lefty as THEM" doesn't really serve your own cause that well, nor as it is plain, explain how those in power actually change things if they are not Green. It's a bit of a meltdown.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

First world, first world problems! I bet Julio the pool guy is really booked out this week.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

wombat74 posted:

Here's another view of the house with the collapsed swimming pool...

Really explanatory picture here. I had a passionate geography teacher in my late-70's high-school, so we learnt a lot about the geomorphology of beaches, took trips to Surfers and the northern beaches to learn precisely these issues. Saw the useless rock walls, etc, learnt about the prevailing wind/currents, the use of the sandbar, and the ecology of the beach from the waters edge back into the hinterland.

What hasn't been pointed out by learned wombat74, is look where the buildings are. Right on the first dune. Guess what keeps the beach from collapsing? Yup. Guess what mistake has been made right the way up to Surfers? Yup.

The first dune is part of the beach's integrity, it's not just the sand it's the vegetation that holds it together and protects it against being disrupted. If it's compromised and you get king/storm tides like this, you get that, every time. You've essentially made a line between the dune and the beach and the beach goes with the wind/waves and takes a swipe out of the dune as it goes.

Notice to the north of the picture where the dune is more intact, and there's still beach? Never build on the first dune. On some beaches north of Brisbane and even down here in Victoria, they fence off the first dune to stop people destroying it with random paths. You can't plan for king/storm tides. They'll happen randomly every 30-40 years, maybe sooner. You can only avoid loving up the beach in the first place, or learn this expensive lesson.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

Mate I don't think you understand how much the first dune real estate it worth. Besides, what if it blocks the ocean views if we just build apartments behind it? You gotta think about the bigger picture here.

That was precisely the Gold Coast developers argument before they did a quick getaway with the cash. See also every coastal developer ever. This led to the godawful canals once the beachfront had been hosed up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah because they're muddy and stagnant hahaha. Also, I'm imagining the insurers argument about the damage and trying not to choke on my coffee for laughing.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

wombat74 posted:

The only positive I'm taking from this whole shitstorm is remembering, after 20 years, how much I enjoyed the environmental science aspects of my Geology degree and a germ of an idea of going back to do an Enviro Science degree forming in the back of my head

I absolutely loved the environmental geography at school but it was a shock to realize just how dumb our infrastructure is, how thoughtless and wasteful and fruitless. Events like this expose all those intersection of failure, from the careless developer to the heedless planner, all the way down to the foolish buyer who's not going to get paid out for a house that has to be knocked down to save what's left of that dune. Not to mention the government which immediately washes its hands and zooms away rapidly at any suggestion of assistance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

iajanus posted:

Used to be?

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a canal on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the strongest canal in all of the Gold Coast!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

We've know the Young Liberals were a toxic bunch of kiddies for years, but if this is an accurate picture, it's beginning to scare even the grownups, so imagine how poo poo they'll be as politicians.

I hope Cleverman is as divisive as possible.

edit: on another subject, can anyone remember the last time a government employed a small-target strategy during an election? I suppose you could call Abbott's strategy small-targetish, but Turnbull's seems something new, he's not debating, seems to be in a race to see who actually launches their platform last (and remember, the taxpayer is paying for everything up to that point!), and beginning to retreat from saying anything that could be a PR gotcha.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 7, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Are George has done a Sophie:

quote:

The Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) has referred a complaint about federal MP George Christensen to the Australian Federal Police (AFP).

Leftwing activist group GetUp complained to the AEC about "bribery concerns" over Mr Christensen's promise to personally donate $12,000 to a turtle rescue centre in Queensland's Whitsundays if he is re-elected.

GetUp spokesman Paul Oosting said he was glad the complaint was being taken seriously.

"It's not a good look and not a good way for a politician to be behaving," he said.

Mr Christensen, the LNP Member for Dawson, has described the GetUp complaint as ridiculous, saying it was politically motivated.

"How is it bribery? The centre doesn't vote, the turtles don't vote," he said yesterday.

He said he withdrew his offer of money to avoid any confusion.

Mr Christensen did not turn up to an election event in Mackay this morning that he was scheduled to attend.

Mr Oosting said the allegation is a very serious matter.

"If found to be true, it really undermines our democracy," he said.

"We want people to cast their vote without fear or favour and without the influence of money involved."

Mr Oosting said he believed the referral would encourage voters to consider their support for Mr Christensen.

"We already know there are real tensions in the community around George Christensen's behaviour and range of issues, so I think they'll be taking a good hard look at this and we're all waiting to see what the outcome for the AFP investigation is."

drat, the competition for dumb fucker this election is hot!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tommofork posted:

Ha ha ha bushy eyebrows ha ha ha

In the hands of a comedy master like Tony Martin, Howard was good for years of material. But Howard was around for years to be made fun of too. With this generation of politicians it takes ages before any distinguishing features come out at all, we have to wait for their 2nd or 3rd scandals to really get going.

Brayds2006 posted:

I don't know, I think Mad as Hell does a great job with what they've been given, even if it is approached with a more surreal slant than the Chaser. It might be that Social Media has ruined our expectations. Jokes about politics are a dime a dozen on Twitter. Waiting up to a week for one of these shows to air in this current landscape takes away from that experience I think.

It's hard to make a one-liner stick out a week after the fact, but also this is a really long election and gaffes which might have been critical are being smoothed out by time, although the cumulative effect might be as lethal. I suspect the good jokes will be closer to the date when you can cascade a whole series of soundbites and events into something much harder to laugh off.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The shovel's political filter has made the ABC election page so much better today

quote:

Pie eating contest 2016: Richy McRichface talks Cory Bernardi's wish to marry a dog, growth, Hillary Clinton on 7.30
7.30 By political glorified blogger Stephanie Anderson, staff

Speaking with Leigh Sales, he also addressed his stance on Cory Bernardi's wish to marry a dog, tarot card readings, campaign rhetoric and Hillary Clinton clinching the Democratic Party nomination in the United States.

Here are the top exchanges from the interview:

Prime Minister Richy McRichface said economic growth led to more unstoppable killing machines, which he said was an issue true blue dinky die honest Aussie battlers cared about.

"Our record is good. In 2015 we had 3 per cent growth in GDP. It is now 3.1 per cent, the last figures," he said.

"We had over 300,000 unstoppable killing machines created, the highest number of unstoppable killing machines created in Australia since before the [Global Financial Crisis]."

Prime Minister Richy McRichface was asked what he meant when he talked about stronger economic growth, and in particular, pressed on how it would benefit everyday idiots.

He said: "a stronger economy means better prospects for the business and better prospects for the employees of that business".

When asked whether that message was getting through to idiots, he replied: "Everyone knows that their prosperity depends on the prosperity of their slave driver".

Prime Minister Richy McRichface used tarot card readings as part of his reasoning for ousting his predecessor, a man who once ate a raw onion, but the Prime Minister would not comment on why he thought his popularity in the polls had fallen, saying he would not be drawn "into that kind of introspection".

He said he had "noted" it, but had not taken "any notice".

Prime Minister Richy McRichface denied he was exaggerating his language when talking about Labor's "war on the family businesses of Australia".
When questioned if his language was insulting the intelligence of idiots, Prime Minister Richy McRichface responded: "I am not exaggerating ... they are standing in the way".

On the topic of Cory Bernardi's wish to marry a dog, Prime Minister Richy McRichface said he expected the push for a plebiscite to be passed by the Wizard's Council, but he would not be drawn on what action he would take if it did not pass.

On US politics, Prime Minister Richy McRichface gave this response when asked on which party he would prefer to see in the White House: "I couldn't possibly comment".

On the win for Hillary Clinton as the presumptive Democratic nominee, Prime Minister Richy McRichface said it was a matter for celebration that a woman has been endorsed as the presidential candidate for a major party.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"nobody warned me" because the risk was so obvious to people with a braincell they just assumed your greed overcame your limited capacity to forecast possible events. Greenies my rear end.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Oz is going Xenophon for slumlord offences

Don't loving read the Arsetralian posted:

Nick Xenophon appears to have been caught out denying he or his family had unwittingly become slumlords in a unit block blighted by illegal overcrowding.

The senator admitted last week to failing to declare to parliament that he was the director of the company that developed and sold the Adelaide Towers apartments.

He flatly denied in an interview with the ABC that he, his father Theo Xenophou or their company had owned units turned into slums by student tenants.

The Australian can reveal that land title records show Mr Xeno­phou’s company owned unit 101, which came to the attention of the Residential Tenancies Tribunal because it had illegal partitioning, sub-letting and overcrowding.

It can also be revealed that Senator Xenophon, who was sold two units at less than the average price of an apartment in the building at the time, and his father owed $230,000 between them to the owners corporation.

Mr Xenophou had failed to pay strata fees for a year over a dispute about asbestos, rubbish chutes and tiling. A legal bid to recover the money cost the owners corporation almost $100,000 and was settled in 2012.

Senator Xenophon, who stands to win the balance of power, insisted during an interview last Friday on ABC radio in Adelaide that “he (Mr Xenophou) was not the owner of those apartments where there were overcrowding issues”.

“In relation to the issue of overcrowding; my father developed the building but the overcrowding had nothing to do with any apartments that he owned.

“The issues in respect of overcrowding were not in respect of any apartments that my father owned, that the company of which he was the director owned.”

According to a Residential Tenancies Tribunal decis­ion of March 21, 2012, apartment 101 was subject to an order because of breaches of council by-laws and the Tenancies Act in relation to partitioning, illegal sub-letting and overcrowding related to a tenancy that began on February 18, 2011.

Property agent Sandy Szabo, who represented apartment 101 at the tribunal in 2012, said partitioning had been put in place by tenants and “bogus people” across a number of apartments owned by different people in the complex at the time. “There were others we found out about through the strata,’’ he said.

Mr Xenophou sold the apartment in 2014.

Stephen English said he stepped in as the corporation’s presiding officer between 2010 and 2012 after what he considered poor maintenance of the building. He said the management committee fought the overcrowding issue for the two years he was in office.

During a bitter dispute with the community corporation over tiling, asbestos, and rubbish chute problems in the apartment block, Senator Xenophon’s father stopped paying contributions and levies, resulting in other unit ­owners being slugged an extra $250,000 levy. When the community corpora­tion began recovery action in 2011, Mr Xenophou counterclaimed, and Senator Xenophon’s and Mr Xenophou’s cases were joined in the District Court, with a trial date set for July 2, 2012. The case was settled prior to the trial date.

According to correspondence at the time, the case was settled on the eve of the trial, leaving the corporation with a legal bill of about $97,500.

Adelaide Tower (Mr Xenophou) paid $200,000 and Senator Xenophon $30,000 to settle the action, correspondence shows.

Senator Xenophon currently owns two apartments at 65 King William Street, sold to him by his father’s Adelaide Tower Pty Ltd for $192,000 and $150,000 in March 2005. He sold two other apartments in the block during the past four years, one in June 2012 for $285,000 that he bought from his father for $150,000 in 2005, and another in December 2013 for $297,000 that he paid $183,000 for in 2005.

Apartments in 65 King William Street went on sale in March 2005, with the average sale price in the first three months being $201,500.

The lowest publicly recorded sale price at the time was 25/65 King William Street, which sold for $160,000.

Senator Xenophon said yesterday he would only deal with The Australian in writing. He did not respond by deadline.

Haw. Only in writing. Then not writing at all. Notice the paranoia in the bolded bits, they're so transparent.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

I think that "HA-HA"-ing at people who bought houses on the beach for extremely high prices with no awareness about the dangers of included is a bit gross in this thread. The responsibility lies with the council for allowing that land to be developed in the first place and not instituting a buyback and or restoration scheme and the developers who built on the land without sufficient protection. Yeah the guy is a rich idiot, but the only things I know about beach management, coastal erosion and king tides are things I've learned from people in this thread.

And I learnt those things in high school, so unless this rich idiot and his friends are all poorly educated, I fail to see how they could not have done a smidgeon of diligence when buying a house on a loving beach. You know, beaches, where those waves come from.

Councils never do anything like your suggestion until its too late and then it becomes a NIMBY shitfight (see: Byron Bay councils for the last 30 years), although I agree some sort of Australia-wide code should be developed but hahaha that will never happen. Once the money pours in, government from council up just rolls over. Developers say, we just sold the land, its not our responsibility, councils say people want to build there, and wouldn't accept a zoning plan preserving the first dune, its not our responsibility, and now the owner of a condemned wreck cries foul. Sometimes its just a tragedy of the commons, and without federal support, no council can hold off developers and greedy state politicians for long.

But: buying a house is not a small thing, you know. You have to take some responsibility for your decisions, and if not for choosing a house, then what the gently caress else can someone with more money than sense get away with? Too late to blame the council now, too late to blame everyone else, and the problem gets handed on to the next generation, and I'm betting they'll do gently caress all as well.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

Councils and the states failing to protect people through political cowardice and being compromised by capital still doesn't really make victim blaming ok.

Like I said, I think this should be legislated and managed nation-wide but it isn't going to happen because the Feds don't want the responsibility let alone the work to set it up and administer it. And yeah, I do blame falling educational standards if this kind of thing is no longer taught in schools since my time, because jesus most of us live on the coast, its not a small issue for many Australians.

But no, I'm not going to sympathise with Joe Q Rich Guy Who Doesn't Research, sorry. He had so many options, there is no excuse for stupidity and after-the-fact demands to have it fixed up. He just doesn't get a pass for this. If he had unknowingly bought in on a radioactive dump or a dodgy landfill redevelopment, then I could excuse those facts being actively hidden from him, but this is stuff you can research: there's news from the UK and the US every year of houses being washed away by storm tides. He'd have to have been living under a loving rock to ignore those hints. His cries of ignorance won't pass muster in court without a genius barrister, seriously. It's not a coincidence that insurers refuse to insure against actions of the sea, go look that up.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hooman posted:

But why would it cost anything to insure against flooding in alice springs?

Because it actually happens? It's on the flood plain of the Todd River.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Recoome posted:

What? TONY ABBOT is evolving!

Congratulations! Your TONY ABBOT evolved into a MALCOLM TURNBULL!

He's super DEFECTIVE!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Recoome posted:

This is also why rehabilitation/education/support in prison is a cool and good thing because we want to break this cycle of disenfranchisement. That's why it's poo poo when we cut support programs inside prisons because we are being "too soft on crime".

It's also to do with the crazy societal ethics we seem to have where the further up the rich/white scale you are, the less responsible you have to be, hence the victim-blaming of the LNP on poor/not-so-white. If rich = automatically good, then there's already a bias. And you can't be "tough on crime" as a politician and punish members of your own social class, can you.

On the other hand, witness the difficulty NT "justice" has had with integrating some tribal law into the system so that young offenders can be policed by their tribe rather than the throw-away-the-key system. But this offends racist whites, so they fight back. Recently they built a lovely new jail in the middle of nowhere, so far away that it makes it difficult for family visits. And the government refused to make transport available. NT does tend to be rather obvious in these ways, but it's the same but more subtle in the rest of the country.

Options? Don't make me laugh, there's been plenty of options for decades.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

wombat74 posted:

Big story out of Victoria that could have federal ramifications - Jane Garrett has resigned as Emergency Services minister over the CFA/UFU stoush. The Herald Scum is going to have a field day over this

Bad luck, we're heading into a weekend, and it could bugger up plans for the new week's narratives. And since it's a State issue it'll fizzle nationally. Dan might have made a strategic error though, this gives Garrett ammo for the future. Expect the issue to blow up during the summer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I think it's more a case that both majors have been concerned with their base because of perceived threat from minor/independents for a long time and the results over a long campaign are rather showing up what a bleak strategy that is, particularly when you've got zero to sell like Tithin says. They're too entrenched in having painted themselves into rhetorical corners by their idiotic posturing on various issues and hoping that doubt will work in their favour.

If you can take anything from the polls, it's that a large group of voters refuse to tell us what they're thinking because they're impressed by neither majors messaging and aren't prepared to commit to anything beyond maybe sorting out minor party preferencing. Maybe a factor will be that the taxpayer has effectively paid all federal politicians for doing absolutely nothing for months while they lie to us about what they might and might not do.

And give the huge size of the Senate voting sheet this election, it's going to be mayhem despite the changes. I know there's been a lot of hooha over the ballots for ticket positions, noone knows, not even Antony Green, how that will pan out.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I WANNA BE A TWINK posted:

There are still a large number of people in Australia who still think Howard is PM.

Ballot positions are very important, a lot of people will vote 1-6 left to right of the ballot. So getting in the top 6 is very important.

It's possible, I'm not convinced by the evidence so far. And further to that are the new changes which complicate the issue further. Wait till after the election before confident predictions.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dun dun dunnnn

tithin posted:

You can strip out everything else he said past the opening statement.

Just like ewe2 said, this election is about damaging the credibility of anyone not lib/lab

And just to underline that, Labor is preferencing Libs over Nats which is a quid pro quo for the Greens preferencing. So much for the Coalition when Libs are threatened, hey.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 12, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm wondering when we'll start getting those mailbox stuffers from the ALP and the Libs, maybe this week if the Greens have already started.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What is it with the homophobes hiding behind racist terrorism scaremongering these days? Almost as if the victims don't matter as much as the important message about scary brown people!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Ahahaha, a gun fetishist who hasn't heard of DC vs Heller, you really are an ignorant fuckwit.

Apparently AR-15's were illegal in the US between 1994 and 2004 but that's when the ban lapsed. I'm thinking that might change soon.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's also not the same as, "no they weren't."

538's podcast mentioned this fact, there was a ban on AR-15 domestic sales for that period, but it was a sunset clause and not renewed. Cue predictable squeals from gun nuts when it's suggested to renew the ban more permanently.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

turn your monitor on

*snerk* you win the internets :pgabz:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bendigo Reps ballot order, unusually high female to male ratio this time:

1 Andy Madison, Nats
2 Rosemary Flasher, Greens
3 Sandra Caddy, Rise Up Australia
4 Lisa Chesters, ALP (incumbent)
5 Megan Purcell, Liberal
6 Ruth Parramore, Animal Justice Party
7 Anita Donlon, Independent (former Palmer United Party)
8 Alan Howard, Family First

Howard is particularly charming, but it's fierce competition with AJP and RUAP. Got my LNP htv in the mail, of course they want Howard 3rd ugh.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Recoome posted:

So basically Perth is a gigantic racist shithole where duders can be openly racist and belligerent and noottthhhiiing happens, it's amazing. I mean the only other place where I'm aware this might be possible is like Bendigo or Melton.

They had to bus people into Bendigo for the stupid UPF thing here, and it got a great deal of attention and counter-protesting. The only local protesters are a couple of insane people who are butthurt they can't influence anything and settle for loud whining to the Herald Sun who is only too happy to whip up idiotic headlines. I predict there'll be another shitshow as the next stage of the mosque proceeds now that the pointless objections have been thrown out, but shitshows are good because they can't be hidden and they have the opposite effect to their intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Australia is a me-too country in many ways, particularly socially, but I think our population is too small and spread-out to really ever get properly organized like a UKIP or a British National Party. A lot of it is trying to create a nationalist sense where there isn't one, and we always have this xenophobic streak precisely because we really don't have that core identity to begin with. But we're slavish followers of fashion so it's got to look like a right-wing anti-immigration bandwagon, and foster dreams of an Ausexit from obligations we wish we hadn't signed so we can be as awful as Americans.

• Locked thread