Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this has more to do with the link between poverty and processed food, see the right wing talking point "if food deserts why are poor people obese"

Nah, it has everything to do with every man woman and child drinking gallons of ridiculously hyper-saturated sweet tea all the time. I see it literally every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fool_of_sound posted:

Nah, it has everything to do with every man woman and child drinking gallons of ridiculously hyper-saturated sweet tea all the time. I see it literally every day.

there isn't any more sugar in sweet tea than in cola which is popular across the united states so i'm gonna need some more current stereotyping for that anecdote to be valid, pal

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this has more to do with the link between poverty and processed food, see the right wing talking point "if food deserts why are poor people obese"

or in other words:

Poor people food tend to be very high in carbohydrates, especially simple ones. Also:

fool_of_sound posted:

This is no joke and seen as a point of cultural pride. Normal human people-made sweet tea isn't TERRIBLE but restaurants have been racing to make it super sweet (we used to super saturate ours by mixing it right after it brewed) and now that's become the standard because the brain loving loves sugar. It's why restaurant food is also extremely salty

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

This is no joke and seen as a point of cultural pride. Normal human people-made sweet tea isn't TERRIBLE but restaurants have been racing to make it super sweet (we used to super saturate ours by mixing it right after it brewed) and now that's become the standard because the brain loving loves sugar. It's why restaurant food is also extremely salty

this post is going to morph into "HFCS is far worse for the human body than table sugar" in 3... 2... 1...

sugary drinks are sugary drinks, and it's pretty dumb to single out just one reason why poor people eat badly

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

there isn't any more sugar in sweet tea* than in cola which is popular across the united states so i'm gonna need some more current stereotyping for that anecdote to be valid, pal

* Commercial, i.e., Nestea/Lipton canned/bottled tea, not the poo poo the crazy fuckers make for themselves; equivalent to pouring sugar on Frosted Flakes. :supaburn:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

this post is going to morph into "HFCS is far worse for the human body than table sugar" in 3... 2... 1...

Not from me boss, I'm as open and accepting of all food as possible. I just got done having an argument with somebody irl about GMOs actually, which is becoming something of an unintentional hobby of mine apparently

I've got a love affair with fatty foods like eggs and sardines and I want the world to cast off the shackles of lovely cheap carbs pretending like they're healthy and embrace the wonderful world of flavor and deliciousness of rich foods

I'm careful about what I eat and spend a lot of time with meatheads thanks to my hobby of lifting, but a lot of these people are loving nuts about food. Have a little faith in your body people goddamn

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

there isn't any more sugar in sweet tea than in cola which is popular across the united states so i'm gonna need some more current stereotyping for that anecdote to be valid, pal

No, he's on point. You can tell when chains down here have been inspected by corporate recently because their sweet tea gets lovely for a littlest while.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also apparently it's ok to sneer at the diets of poor minorities so long as you're imagining poor white people in your head while you're doing it. classism, as tempered by anti-racism, a favored thread hobby

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

Maryland and Pennsylvania are not the Midwest and West Virginia is not South Central US. :colbert:

I said 1917. Pennsylvania and Maryland didn't join until 1990 and 2014, respectively.

EDIT: And I see nothing wrong with grouping West Virginia in with Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 30, 2016

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Lot of Regionalism and "UM, ACTUALLY" the past couple pages trying to spin the very basic fact that poor, monocultural White People food is garbage for babies, but their diet drastically improves as you add money and/or cultural exposure. Like, my Dad's favorite food as a poor college student was "spaghetti", where the sauce was just tomato sauce with sugar. Now that he has money and segregation isn't the literal law of the land, he loves Thai and Indian and sushi. He's talked at length about how he and his grandfather actively avoided new foods, because poverty meant that if you tried something new and didn't like it loving tough that's what you were eating anyway, possibly for days. Guess what that does to a palate?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

also apparently it's ok to sneer at the diets of poor minorities so long as you're imagining poor white people in your head while you're doing it. classism, as tempered by anti-racism, a favored thread hobby

It's OK to sneer at bad diets of both poor minorities and poor white people as long as you realized that the reason is poverty and poverty is bad and causing bad things to happen, like them eating bad things that are bad for their long term health.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm speaking from experience in the ATL burbs, where if MARTA ran out there the station would be sabotaged within an hour of being opened.

The diet is the cause of these issues, but not the reason that the sufferers are predominantly poor (which is the south is code for black), that's because of lack of access to healthcare which is not an issue where people have money.

It's also a whole different can of worms

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yes i also live in atlanta, this is not an excuse

i'm itp tho so i'm obvs superior in all things

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
LOL at Christie being veep, he's like the #1 suspect of being "John Doe", a man that got the courts to delay publishing a list of unindicted co-conspirators.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if Trump goes with Christie Hillary should go with Castro.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Reform called, they want their liturgy back

Even Reform and Reconstructionist Jews say the Shema in Hebrew. :colbert:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You know, I was going to be smarmy about my local food, but then I realized that there really isn't a regional cuisine that I can point to, and instead a mashup of Mexican and creole dishes, with a side of grits.

Still, gently caress you Yankees for insinuating that Texan's can't take the heat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Didn't Christie bribe some public officials with 9/11 wreckage?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

Even Reform and Reconstructionist Jews say the Shema in Hebrew. :colbert:

Given my synagogue and how I grew up in a Conservative shul, I wish

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Didn't Christie bribe some public officials with 9/11 wreckage?

Yes.

Christie is like a mini version of the Trump dumpster fire.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

Gyges posted:

Yes.

Christie is like a mini version of the Trump dumpster fire.

Christie is Jersey to Trump's New York.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

I hate to break it to you, but the entire south is coasting on one sub-region's reputation for liking spicy food and it's making you guys look bad

Said the person claiming that indiana was good for spicy food, when it is in fact a hellhole that will smother anything with enough american cheese to kill a large dog.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bushiz posted:

Said the person claiming that indiana was good for spicy food, when it is in fact a hellhole that will smother anything with enough american cheese to kill a large dog.

Depends on where you are in the state! It's great where I'm at, and where I was before this. I can't speak for Fort Wayne, and of course the sticks are a wasteland in every way

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Wasn't it assumed Mitt Romney passed up on Christie for his VP because he had way too many skeletons in his closet?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

looks like Polish

The racial makeup of the county was 96.63% White, 1.69% Black or African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.58% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.43% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. 1.16% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 22.2% were of Polish, 15.6% Italian, 13.8% Irish, 12.1% German and 5.3% Slovak ancestry according to the 2000 census.

I'm American, I can't trace my ancestry at all. I just know that my family kept running away till they hit the next ocean. Why is there no box for that?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mister Macys posted:

* Commercial, i.e., Nestea/Lipton canned/bottled tea, not the poo poo the crazy fuckers make for themselves; equivalent to pouring sugar on Frosted Flakes. :supaburn:

I'm glad you pointed this out.
I love sweet stuff and I find Southern Sweet Tea to be undrinkable syrup.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 minutes!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Wasn't it assumed Mitt Romney passed up on Christie for his VP because he had way too many skeletons in his closet?

I don't think there was anything official, but it was bantered about in the press. Christie's not a good pick in any way shape or form, but at this point Trump isn't playing the same game as everyone else. Supposedly Christie is a decent attorney general, and that could be the angle Trump is hoping to utilize.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BlueBlazer posted:

I'm American, I can't trace my ancestry at all. I just know that my family kept running away till they hit the next ocean. Why is there no box for that?

That's basically what "American" is for.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

BlueBlazer posted:

Well, I mean, there literally is a category for "American" on that map.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Pretty much. You'd have recipes that measured out pepper in *grains* like it was plutonium or something.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

For a lot of the country the shift didn't really happen until the 1980s onward unless you happened to have ethnic communities with good food nearby.

Ask me how I know. :corsair:

Late, but please don't drag noted wingnut James Lileks into this.

(I own and appreciate the aesthetic behind his book on 50s-60s food. But he's a complete troglodyte.)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GET hosed, PENCE

quote:

A federal judge blocked Indiana's new abortion law from going into effect Thursday, finding it would likely not hold up to constitutional scrutiny.

Judge Tanya Walton-Pratt ordered the stay on the law – which would have gone into effect Friday – in a 31-page ruling.

The law, passed this spring over the objection of Democrats and even many members of the Indiana Republican Party, would have been one of the most restrictive abortion regulations in the country. Among other constraints, HEA 1337 would have made it illegal for a woman to seek an abortion on the basis of the race, gender or disability of a fetus. The law also stipulated new restrictions on the disposal of fetal tissue.

This was the law that was so strict that it made Texas blush. We're talking forced funerals for aborted embryos and everything

PPIK and the ACLU took turns dunking on Pence and Evangelical GOPers in general

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am a white Southerner and I can confirm that we are garbage sacks of poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Trump has so many skeletons of his own that it's like the deadites attacking in Army of Darkness, one little closet's worth of them ain't no thing. He's loving running for President, goddamnit.

BlueBlazer posted:

Assuming you've recently drunk a beer, and lets be honest if you're actually an American you have, you put down Irish because, gently caress, they drink, right?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Some positive local news. :toot:

The New Hampshire Executive Council, which wields veto power over state contracts among other things, voted 3-2 to restore $549,000 in funding to Planned Parenthood. Chris Sununu, who is the frontrunner for the Republican gubernatorial nomination, cast the deciding vote. He voted against funding in August. He explained his switch as being due to the debunking of the PP videos allegedly selling body parts. He is pro-choice. He's getting hammered for it by other Republicans, but I don't think anything can stop him from winning the primary for Governor.

http://www.wmur.com/politics/executive-council-votes-32-to-restore-funding-to-planned-parenthood/40276040

quote:

“They’ve been debunked,” he said. “And so while it could be politically expedient to do the opposite, at the end of the day we have to make sure that we are providing the best services for the women, especially low-income women, of the state. This contract provides that and I’m not going to stand in the way of it.”

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Gyges posted:

Am I correct in assuming that the noticeably darker splotches in the Mountain West and the Great Plains are where the Reservations are?

Yeah pretty much. The commodity food support they get is really poo poo quality. See: the iconic Plains Indian frybread, because what are you gonna do with tons of lard and flour and not much else?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Depends on where you are in the state! It's great where I'm at, and where I was before this. I can't speak for Fort Wayne, and of course the sticks are a wasteland in every way

"The south is a barren wasteland of food, for which the only exception is los angeles, but indiana is a rich tapestry of culinary delights and deserves consideration!"

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

smg77 posted:

Has he been measured for the gimp suit yet?

Chris Christie on the campaign trail: :nms: http://i.imgur.com/sSerQW8.jpg :nws:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OhFunny posted:

Some positive local news. :toot:

The New Hampshire Executive Council, which wields veto power over state contracts among other things, voted 3-2 to restore $549,000 in funding to Planned Parenthood. Chris Sununu, who is the frontrunner for the Republican gubernatorial nomination, cast the deciding vote. He voted against funding in August. He explained his switch as being due to the debunking of the PP videos allegedly selling body parts. He is pro-choice. He's getting hammered for it by other Republicans, but I don't think anything can stop him from winning the primary for Governor.

http://www.wmur.com/politics/executive-council-votes-32-to-restore-funding-to-planned-parenthood/40276040
Huh. Today I learned John Sununu not only has a brother, but that his brother is also a Republican politician. loving Sununus. They should... go back where they came from? To law school? Or something.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

It's funny that your first response to anyone arguing with you is to make wild accusations to make them regret doing so. At least Fishmech bothers to make arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Bushiz posted:

"The south is a barren wasteland of food, for which the only exception is los angeles, but indiana is a rich tapestry of culinary delights and deserves consideration!"

Ya pretty much, except lmao at calling LA the south. That's the west homie. Most of the south is just coasting on the reputation of a relative handful of deranged Frenchmen when it comes to variety and spice. Everything else is just butter and sugar.

• Locked thread