Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it's great seeing people's opinions shift as they slowly age and they start whining about millenials or whatever when they're really just experiencing the creeping realization that all teenagers are pretty much dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
NBC reporting that Chris Christie is the top pick to be Trump's VP. Christie is the only person to have recieved the official vetting information request documents so far.

That means Chris Christie has a very good chance of being VP or Trump is waiting until two weeks before the convention to start vetting. Either is very possible!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

NBC reporting that Chris Christie is the top pick to be Trump's VP. Christie is the only person to have recieved the official vetting information request documents so far.

That means Chris Christie has a very good chance of being VP or Trump is waiting until two weeks before the convention to start vetting. Either is very possible!

Pleeeaaassseeee!!!!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO_C41yuLls

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm shaking with excitement. Trump/Christie would be theeeeeee most amazing ticket.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Has he been measured for the gimp suit yet?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kalman posted:

I mean, in prayers at a minimum, yeah, you do. (For religious aspects of Judaism.)

Reform called, they want their liturgy back

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

yes, please, yes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Christie is going to prosecute Clinton!

Indite now for $5!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's great seeing people's opinions shift as they slowly age and they start whining about millenials or whatever when they're really just experiencing the creeping realization that all teenagers are pretty much dumb as gently caress

teens are dumb af, whether or not you grow out of that is why we have conservatives

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Whoever debates Christie if he gets the vp should just spend anytime not talking imitating that dumb gently caress look of Christie

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Not cool.

At least I was on break so my coworkers couldn't hear that snortlaugh.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I'll just leave this here: http://gawker.com/chris-christies-lawyers-hid-one-of-his-personal-email-a-1782833599

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bolton/Reek 2016, hell yeah

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there anyone coming out of this mess worse off than Chris Christie?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Andy Kaufman needs to rein it in, we need him to last through the convention.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gyges posted:

Until quite recently, unless you went and caught a fish yourself, eating fish from the store in the Midwest was a good way to eat some old rear end fish. Until air delivery and quality refrigeration, you were eating fish caught days earlier on one of the coasts and then shipped in a, more or less, literal ice box by train. Canned tuna was the exception because canning it kept it "fresh".

So in my Great Grandmother's time, eating fish in Kansas was a dumb as gently caress idea. In my grandmother's time it was an expensive bad idea. In my father's time it was an expensive idea that never occurred to him due to the cultural culinary tradition he grew up in. Then he got drafted and surprising, new and exotic foods introduced to him by whim of Uncle Sam didn't stick. Some pepper or some really mild "spicy" cheese dip for tortilla chips is as hot as he goes.

He also only eats well done steak because the Midwest is culinary hell. Hope you like various takes on jello salads.

Only if you're in the part actually around the Great Lakes or on the banks of the Mississippi.

I forgot that folks lump the Great Plains into the Midwest. Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. are in a totally different (and much worse) universe for food and culture than the eastern Midwest. Even if the eastern Midwest is also a relative cultural and culinary desert compared to anywhere good!

Eating fish is cool and good in the eastern Midwest, but there's definitely a suspicion of spicy food.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/748636061060968449

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Indiana is pretty good about a diverse food culture that doesn't skimp on the spicy, moreso the college town I'm in now than when I was living in Indy, but Indy ain't bad

The important bit here that needs to be said is that people in the south, especially white people, like to talk a big game about eating spicy foods but they're every bit as bad as your average midwesterner. Southern cuisine isn't about spice or even variety at all, it's about SUGAR and lots of it. Hence why all their loving feet are rotting off

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there anyone coming out of this mess worse off than Chris Christie?

The American People

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

If it was The Onion Biden, it would be a bootleg.

I hope The Onion puts out a collection of all their Diamond Joe articles.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rygar201 posted:

How loving hard can it be to sink a presidential campaign? It's like Springtime for Hitler at this point!

Got me. Trump wouldn't know diplomacy if it but him on the rear end, but apparently he appeals to the spiteful lizard brains of the republican base. Trump getting this far has shown hat just how broken the GOP base really is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Indiana is pretty good about a diverse food culture that doesn't skimp on the spicy, moreso the college town I'm in now than when I was living in Indy, but Indy ain't bad

The important bit here that needs to be said is that people in the south, especially white people, like to talk a big game about eating spicy foods but they're every bit as bad as your average midwesterner. Southern cuisine isn't about spice or even variety at all, it's about SUGAR and lots of it. Hence why all their loving feet are rotting off

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. Inability to metabolize sugar properly is a symptom of the disease. There is no causal connection.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Unfortunately you've gotten the wrong impression from Indy and college towns, drive for thirty miles and try to convince the first person you see to eat something spicy and you might talk them up to chili with spaghetti in it

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Well, sugar makes you fat and being fat leads to diabetes.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jazerus posted:

I forgot that folks lump the Great Plains into the Midwest. Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. are in a totally different (and much worse) universe for food and culture than the eastern Midwest. Even if the eastern Midwest is also a relative cultural and culinary desert compared to anywhere good!

Eating fish is cool and good in the eastern Midwest, but there's definitely a suspicion of spicy food.

On the other hand, Oklahoma City has many excellent Vietnamese restaurants thanks to a push by local religious groups to sponsor Vietnamese refugees after the fall of Saigon (apparently this was in the time before scary immigrants were coming to take our jobs). No doubt if the same situation were repeated today the governor would be turning them back at the state line for being potential terrorists communists.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LeJackal posted:

Thats about as thinly veiled excuse as saying 'I like the Jews, but spoken Hebrew gives me the willies.'

It might be a real thing. Consider that most bigots usually ask, "Why can't you just speak American!? You want to live here, speak the loving language!"

Rather than,

"Why can't you just eat hamburgers and fries!? You want to live here, eat loving tacos and pizza!"

Or,

"Why can't you just vote Republican!? You want to live here, vote GOP like everybody else!"

Or even,

"Why can't you just like the Cardinals!? You want to live here, buy loving LA Galaxy merch!"

Because while anybody can dress like the next dude if they reeally want to blend in, you can't hide an accent without serious work. Language is a dead giveaway of being The Other.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 30, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
A New York City billionaire and a fat guy from New Jersey are going to fly around the country for four months as the champions of evangelicals and the American "heartland".

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Epic High Five posted:

Lmao, yeah come to South LA and taste the food.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

A New York City billionaire and a fat guy from New Jersey are going to fly around the country for four months as the champions of evangelicals and the American "heartland".

The heartland has always appreciated slapstick.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

zoux posted:

State journalists have been trying to pry the abortion numbers that Texas collects out of the Dept. of State Health Services since HB2, but they dragged the gently caress out of their feet. Now that the rulings done, DSHS put them up and guess what they show :razz:

https://twitter.com/TumaTime/status/748610669545549824

https://twitter.com/andreagrimes/status/748609545249796098

https://twitter.com/alexazura/status/748600935237115904

Oh cool, so there are maybe 12000 kids running around being raised by parents who probably weren't ready to have a kid yet. This will certainly have no consequences. Though I suppose a number of them went to other states or found backalley doctors if they're lucky.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Jazerus posted:

Yeah, I don't get that tendency either. I use college sports conferences to determine regions of the US, which means Midwest states have Big Ten universities circa 1917. By that metric, the Midwest doesn't stretch past Iowa.

It's the same rule that makes Florida count as part of the South.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Epic High Five posted:

Am I correct in assuming that the noticeably darker splotches in the Mountain West and the Great Plains are where the Reservations are?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Isn't his handling of that Bridge Scandal still under investigation? You never know when that could drop on him.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. Inability to metabolize sugar properly is a symptom of the disease. There is no causal connection.

Depends on the type

Rygar201 posted:

Lmao, yeah come to South LA and taste the food.

I hate to break it to you, but the entire south is coasting on one sub-region's reputation for liking spicy food and it's making you guys look bad

Jazerus posted:

Unfortunately you've gotten the wrong impression from Indy and college towns, drive for thirty miles and try to convince the first person you see to eat something spicy and you might talk them up to chili with spaghetti in it

Oh yeah, I had a job offer in Anderson once and I declined because I didn't want an hour+ commute each way and I sure as gently caress wasn't living there. Going by my experience, they'd say they love spicy food and use Skyline as evidence

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Epic High Five posted:

this has more to do with the link between poverty and processed food, see the right wing talking point "if food deserts why are poor people obese"

or in other words:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Technogeek posted:

Yeah, I don't get that tendency either. I use college sports conferences to determine regions of the US, which means Midwest states have Big Ten universities circa 1917. By that metric, the Midwest doesn't stretch past Iowa.

It's the same rule that makes Florida count as part of the South.

Maryland and Pennsylvania are not the Midwest and West Virginia is not South Central US. :colbert:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

this has more to do with the link between poverty and processed food, see the right wing talking point "if food deserts why are poor people obese"

or in other words:

The gently caress is that random splotch of Other in Pennsylvania?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

looks like Polish

The racial makeup of the county was 96.63% White, 1.69% Black or African American, 0.09% Native American, 0.58% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.43% from other races, and 0.57% from two or more races. 1.16% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 22.2% were of Polish, 15.6% Italian, 13.8% Irish, 12.1% German and 5.3% Slovak ancestry according to the 2000 census.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nessus posted:

Polish.

efb

• Locked thread