Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doseku
Nov 9, 2009

Hello there and welcome to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants In Manhattan. Just recently released on May 24th. Made by the same people that brought you Transformers: Devastation.
The game is a 3D cell shaded beat em up much like Devastation was and actually has working multiplayer for co-op fun. Which is more than I could say about Out of The Shadows which was the other PC Ninja Turtles game.

So are you actually going to be co-oping this time around?
Unfortunately no. The reason being that in co-op mode you miss story elements and the end of the game as in after you beat the last boss you get booted right back to the lobby with no ending cutscene or credits.
My goal here is to show the full story which is can only be found in story mode which is the single player campaign. Which is pretty dumb design decision to be honest but what can you do.

hrrm. How is this going to go down?
I'm going to be straight with you. This isn't a fresh run. I have already completed co-op with a few friends was disappointed in the lack of closure and am running through the single player campaign which was already partway completed when I switched over to multiplayer.
What this means is that I will have abilities and levels that you won't have in a fresh game.
The higher level than normal will allow for bosses to be beaten much faster which is supposed to increase the chances of having the secret bosses show up since you are supposed to whip on the regular boss really really fast to get the secret boss to show up.

For the commentary side of the house I will be joined by Sessile who was one of my co-op buddies for this game. He'll also be the guy trying to keep me on track if I start to go off on a tangent or forget to talk about certain things.

That's all fine. But the completionist in me wants you to 100% this. Are you going to sate that desire?
Unlike castle of Illusion, I can't promise that. Heck I'm still unsure if I can get all the secret bosses to show up. But I will collect whatever crosses my path and will show off each of the turtles the best I can.

Bah. You always do that. Whatever. How about spoilers? Can I spoil the crap out of this?
Not really. This is a fairly new game and not everybody has seen it yet. Such as myself when it comes to the story.
However the game itself kinda shows you all the bosses in the game in the stage select, so with the exception of Mega Krang (which is new to this game) and the super final boss(Which I haven't actually gotten to. Thanks again multiplayer), feel free to talk about the various bosses but not the stages they are found in until we actually get to those stages.
As always feel free to talk about the shows, comics and other games as long it's civil.

So with all that being said let's roll right into this.

Current Episode:

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Finale: Shredder(With Sessile and Seeric)

Videos:
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 01: Bebop
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 02: Rocksteady
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 03: Slash (Featuring Sessile and EvilKit)
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 04: Kurai (Featuring Sessile and EvilKit)
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 05: Shark guy (with Sessile and EvilKit)
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 06: Wingnut (with Sessile and Seeric)
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 07: Krang (With Sessile)
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 08: Mega Krang (With Sessile and Evil Kit)

Doseku fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

In which Dose and I talk more about the game mechanics than the first level itself :v:
I'll do my best to keep this thing on the rails but I'm almost as scatterbrained as Doseku himself. As our ad-libbed commentary might fail to mention a few features, please feel free to ask! In future vids I'll bring up topics I know we missed, but there's a lot about this game we're still unsure of (see: secret boss requirements).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It is of course incredibly appropriate that Dose is knocked out on the floor when the first boss dies. I'm going to be looking forward to the rest of this lp. :allears:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
In today's episode we venture into the subway. Argue about charm slots and utilize a super weapon that really isn't useful unless you are locked on to an enemy.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 02: Rocksteady

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is the second time Shirahama has directed a game, and it's the second time that we got a really bad Platinum game. It's kind of really disappointing.

At the very least, I'll have more fun watching this LP than I did playing the game. Looking forward to more of this LP!

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

This is the second time Shirahama has directed a game, and it's the second time that we got a really bad Platinum game. It's kind of really disappointing.

I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that the other game was Legend of Korra?
Honestly I enjoy beat `em ups just fine, even when the combat systems are shallow *cough* musou *cough*. There are a few glaring problems with this game though, which will become apparent in future episodes.

The second level's soundtrack is deplorable and monotonous. However, each boss has their own unique theme, and Rocksteady's is :rock:

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we visit one of the blandest stages the game has to offer.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 03: Slash (Featuring Sessile and EvilKit)

This is honestly one of the worst stages in the game in terms of design and visuals. Unlike the other stages it's a whole lot more linear and everything looks the same. This won't even the last time we see this level either since it will come up again in a different iteration later in the game.
I would like to make a correction. Apparently I was wrong in how the secret bosses operated. True you still need to whoop the main boss fast enough to get them however their order is not determined by upcoming stage like I thought. It's still set in stone however. So these are the bosses you would get so far:
Bebop = Rocksteady
Rocksteady = Bebop
Slash = Armaggon

our upcoming fight with Kurai will have one but it won't be a mutant. I'll let you think on who will show up.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Sessile posted:

I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that the other game was Legend of Korra?
Honestly I enjoy beat `em ups just fine, even when the combat systems are shallow *cough* musou *cough*. There are a few glaring problems with this game though, which will become apparent in future episodes.

The second level's soundtrack is deplorable and monotonous. However, each boss has their own unique theme, and Rocksteady's is :rock:

Personally the problem with Korra is it was about as "Budget title tie in" as you could get, and was really empty in the environments. The combat and gameplay itself was still Platinum tier fun imo. You even still had the whole parry poo poo going down.
I'm not saying it's good as whole just that bending was still satisfying.
And honestly looking at this, it's also...not great, and even more so kind of disappointing since it ISN'T as bare bones as Korra's rushed void of nothingness was.

...Although it is kinda telling that both times it was a Nickelodeon product tie in game- we can't take all the blame off the producers and Platinum but we can see that there's the beginnings of a pattern. I guess if they make a Spongebob game where you play as Mermaid Man cosplay and it's also poo poo despite how amazing and potentially goofy cool that concept is, we'll know what the problem is for sure.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Tonight we step away from linearity and go into a more open ended stage.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 04: Kurai

From here on out with the exception of Krang 1 and the shredder, all upcoming stages will be retreads of ones we've already been to.
For instance our upcoming fight with Armaggon will take us right back to the sewers which we just left. It will be a different layout but the visuals and major objective will be the same as the first.
Out of the remaining five stages only two are going to be unique while the rest are repeats.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

alright, let's put a chain around Mikey's neck. too thug? then let's put an ALBUM on the chain! that way people know it's, like, a music reference! (if albums on chains is an actual thing just correct me)

also a turtle with a mohawk looks simultaneously awesome and disturbing

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Thank you guys for showing this game off. My son in particular is really enjoying it, and I keep thinking I might get it for him, but stuff like these boss fights seem like they may be a bit much for him.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

the game does have a tutorial mission that walks you through the gameplay mechanics, but due to redundancy we won't be showing that off. the secret in defeating bosses easily lies in learning how to use the dodge button.

if you dodge at the perfect moment so that the enemy strikes your "after-image", you'll automatically swing behind them and get the chance to either instant kill them or grapple them, depending on their size. grappled enemies will helplessly try to reach you on their back, which looks especially hilarious when you're grappling, say, Slash :v:
harder yet, if you end the turtle dodge ability (where you're spinnin around in your shell) at the exact moment an enemy strikes you, you'll perform an instant counter attack that knocks them on their rear end.

Dose is no good at dodging so here's the closest example you're gonna get:

the LP is covering the game on normal mode, but it does have an easy mode as well! and while Mutants in Manhattan sadly does not have split-screen co-op, it does have online co-op. honestly the game is way more fun in co-op than singleplayer.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's time return to the sewers once more.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 05: Shark guy (with Sessile and EvilKit)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Nice to see there's a new update. I was beginning to wonder if this was abandoned.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

I'll make Dose finish this even if he exasperatedly sighs himself to death :v:

Unfortunately this level has the least amount of cool stuff happening. Armaggon is a cool guy tho. It takes a lot of ambition to be king of all of Earth's oceans.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Good day everyone.

I apologize for the lack of updates. As always my work schedule has caught up to me and I'll have to put this game on Hiatus for a short term. When I am able to resume we will get to the end of this. I thank you for your patience.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Hi, Just letting you know that I haven't forgotten about the game yet. Real life is still very much in the way for a while longer. it shouldn't be too long before a new video will come out. Who knows, perhaps there will be new dlc by that time.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's been a while. So today we take we go into the skyscaper level once more to face a different boss.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 06: Wingnut

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I read a review for this in one of the free daily newspapers we get in NYC. Reading that it was a TMNT beat-'em-up game made by Platinum made me think it was gonna be good, but alas, they panned it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It was directed by Shirahama, who was the creative mind behind the Legend of Korra game. I don't think he's very good.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we hit the corridor level.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 07: Krang (With Sessile)

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

I'd apologize for the boring level, but really that's all on Platinum this time. honestly if they'd removed the hallway segments and JUST had bosses it would've been more interesting. the Krang bossfight is a letdown after having gone through everyone else. even his theme song is only kinda ok? fortunately Krang will get some redemption in the next stage!

also for future reference, the "flip all the switches" puzzles in a 3x3 grid can always be solved by hitting each corner and the center (in any order)

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Today we reach the penultimate level. A kind of rehash of the first level.

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Episode 08: Mega Krang (With Sessile and Evil Kit)

on and off throughout this playthrough Sessile and myself discussed what it would take to make a secret boss appear. Eventually he linked me to the official FAQ page for the game.
Essentially

Activision posted:

The appearance of a secret boss is governed by random chance based on the average score in each of the stage’s missions, as well as the selected difficulty. Therefore, excellent scores at high difficulty levels will have more of a chance of triggering a secret boss.

Note that secret bosses will never trigger the first time you play a stage.

Which basically means that you need a high enough score to even get the random chance of having the boss appear, which would explain a couple things. However it doesn't make sense as we had at least one secret boss show up in the co-op mode of the game when we were in the the sewers for the first time and that's not what determines if you get the secret final boss. Which may not even be accessible in multiplayer.

However bear in mind that this faq has questions such as "How do I unlock very hard mode?" which the game tells you how to do when you try to select it. The answer being is to beat hard mode.
Or my personal favorite: "I don't seem to be able to play stages 7-9, How do I access them?", This one has an answer that comes complete with a chart that basically shows that you have to beat the previous levels. Which you are forced to do anyway since the next level doesn't unlock until you do. Unless you are playing in multiplayer, then every level and difficulty is open right off the bat.

The only question out of the whole official FAQ that isn't dumb talks about a specific emblem and how to get it. I'll be talking about that and some other emblems in the next episode because a few of them have requirements that just seem odd.

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

it may be that the "beat a level once" requirement to get the secret boss to appear doesn't apply to multiplayer, much like how all the levels are immediately accessible in multiplayer. it may also be that this game's documentation is so bad that even Activision, the publisher, has no idea how the mechanics work. and there's certainly no evidence of this game's scripting being buggy.

also impressed by how well Dose fixed the audio issues, except for not removing his request to pause the video. 8.5/10

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It's finally time to bring our adventure to an end.

There may be one more video coming up involving co-op against Shredder but it has yet to be decided.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Hi,

Just a little update on what's going on with the game. Sessile and myself have been trying to get to Super Shredder and we have been sucessful exactly once. However the video for that session looks like a pixelated mess due to some screw ups with obs studio on my side.
Today we took another crack at it in Hard mode just like before. However things did not go as well as before. Somehow the game got even harder from the last time we played and as of yet we haven't been able to even beat regular Shredder on hard. Add on to the fact that it
takes forever to even get to him, which I clocked in at 18 minutes of elevator. It was just to frustrating to do on Hard. We will eventually get the video out but it won't be for a bit longer.

What was decide is that we are more willing to do multiple runs on a lower difficulty to get it than go for the higher chance on Hard and that's what will happen when our schedules align next.
Thanks for being patient with us.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sounds like a pain in the rear end. Good luck!

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

The rate of cursing correlates strongly with the amount of time playing this game. Soon, all we'll be able to say in the commentary is a long, drawn out "Fuuuuuuuuuuck."

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
And here it is. The very final video where we take on the secret final boss and learn that it doesn't change a darn thing.
TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - Bonus: Super Shredder

There really is nothing else to say about this game at this point. All I can say was that it was a dissapointment. I really wanted to like it especially after coming off of transformers devastation but by the end I just wanted to finish it so I could be done with it.
It doesn't help that this game has several major flaws strewn throughout, one of the biggest being that you can't actually experience the games story in co-op which goes against everything that co-op turtle games of yore have done. Then there is the modes of difficulty which are poorly implemented. Essentially all a higher difficulty will do is turn practically all enemies into damage sponges add a couple more elites along with increasing their strength and then add two more health bars to the bosses. Add on to the fact that it also adds more random missions that need to be completed and you have a recipe for turning a normal stage into a tedious slog.

It's especially evident in the final stage which is an elevator ride to the final boss. On hard the thing lasts eighteen minutes while on normal it's only six minutes. Then there are the levels themselves, out of nine stages only four or five are actually unique while the rest are rehashes of earlier stages with only a couple differences. The sewer level is the worst of the bunch in this regard. It's so freaking bland that by the time it we entered it for the second time I thought were back in it's earlier iteration.

There are positives but the negatives far outweigh those and unless you are playing with friends I can't recommend it.

I hope you guys enjoyed the LP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

dobby is free :stonklol:

• Locked thread