Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I genuinely enjoyed going to random podunk towns and helping to solve all the mysteries like scooby doo episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gaunter o'dimm is a cool villain

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I liked the contract to catch an imp and geralt immediately asks the guy if his notice had an "imp-erfection" and then gave the smuggest loving smile

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I thought everything up to the battle at Kaer Morhen was awesome and then afterwards the pace was really thrown off because suddenly we were all still farting around for a while even though there wasn't really anything keeping the wild hunt from just ambushing Ciri again

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

anyway time to start blood and wine today, heard nothing but great things about it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

HORMELCHILI posted:

its probably the best looking game out yet

As mediocre as the new Battlefront is, it's a seriously amazing looking game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Blood and wine is much better than hearts of stone

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hearts of stone feels like most modern dlc where there's basically a single super long quest chain and a small handful of new side things, while B&W feels like an old school expansion pack that takes place entirely separately from the plot of the base game and I definitely appreciate them both a little more for that

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

julian assflange posted:

The B&W mutations are game breaking and insanely fun. Do they carry over for NG+?

I love how they made a mutation that was literally "all of your sword attacks dismember or trigger finishing moves"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I found the quest variety in witcher 3 to be better than pretty much every other RPG I've ever played

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hearts of stone is very good but blood and wine is simply top tier dlc

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Witcher 3 combat is like one or two mods away from being amazing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

You can actually just stumble on a random higher vampire in a tunnel under Novigrad

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

blood and wine is also great because the tone of a lot of the quests is completely different too

it's basically if Geralt were dropped into a classic fantasy story with happy endings and without this giant war looming in the background

I will say though that if you care a lot about getting a good ending for the main plot then you might want to do a little research because it's really easy to screw up

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Literary Agent: Those games are making your books sell pretty well overseas, Andrej, we will be rolling in Zloty.
Andrej: *Velen peasant voice* loving sod off, you pencil dick banker whoreson! gently caress!

lol

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

your potions regenerate when you rest with a little alcohol, so feel free to chug your foul witcher drugs whenever you please.

also your bombs

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm enjoying the quests and writing so far, but man it's a lot of talking.. I can see why this game takes so long to beat..

Once you get out of the first area and onto the big map the pace picks up a bit. The starting zone is slower and less combat heavy than the rest of the game, since it basically acts as a super long tutorial for all the different game mechanics

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

I remember one spot having some drowners in the teens for level I had to go back eventually to clear out, but it was just a random ? in a lake iirc. Nothing too important.

Oh yeah this reminds me: your crossbow does like 1000000 damage when you and the target are both swimming so even much higher level enemies you can kill pretty easily

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It also helps that the game gives you an updating encyclopedia of all the NPCs you meet/hear about, so even if you go in with zero witcher knowledge other than it's from poland and there's probably some tits, you can still keep up

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Death march makes the starting area super tedious imho. Blood and broken bones and then upping it to death march around the time you reach novigrad did well for me

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I had a hearty lol during the wedding mission just walking Geralt around like a douchebag

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Yes but he is a massive money sink, so only if you're planning to spend

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Griffin set ftw btw

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My gwent quest got bugged and I never was able to get a card from the Red Baron or any of the subsequent northern realm special cards, so I ended up playing scoiatel for the whole game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

extremely steampunk posted:

I can't get into Gwent, I've only played a handful of games and mostly lost because my deck is just garbage. I hope there aren't any important quests involving it because I don't want to waste my time with it at all

There's only one major quest in the base game that requires you to play gwent and they only let you start it if you already have a serious collection. Everything else is just little side things that reward more cards

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I go back and forth because even though the music is good it feels kind of repetitive

I know what you mean but I feel like that has as much to do with the fact that I put dozens of hours into this awesome game, so the music was going to get repetitive eventually no matter what

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Alchemy seemed like the kinda thing you’d use to break the game on a second playthrough, I remember being overwhelmed and just dumping points into signs and the deflect arrow parry because jedis are cool

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

polish people are really kind, theyre the nicest group of people ive ever lived with. i cant eat their food though, seems like everything they eat comes out of a jar or can

pierogies are good

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

They really are and I can’t help but feel Cyberpunk 2077 will be a day one purchase.

They’ve been making it for approx. 20 years and I cannot wait

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

My favorite part of B&W is how the people don’t all loving hate your guts. The majority of the populace is happy to have Geralt’s help. Combine that with the beautiful, untouched-by-brutal-war scenery, and it’s just a wonderful victory lap of an expansion.

Yeah the different tone is a really nice contrast, since it’s fun to drop Geralt into a more classic fantasy setting with chivalrous knights in shining armor

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

Possessed Geralt hitting on Shani at a wedding was pretty great. Pretty much everything involving that wedding is excellent.

Possessed Geralt’s walking animation alone made the wedding great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pablo Gigante posted:

I only played a few hours of this when it came out, I think I’m gonna dive back in soon. I have the complete edition, how does the DLC tie into the main story?

First DLC opens up a small area on the east of the main map and the central quest chain focuses on a minor character from the main story and some new/returning characters from older games.

The second DLC is an old-school expansion on its own self-contained map with no real relation to the main plot, but the change in tone and some of the tongue-in-cheek moments mean its best played when you’re mostly wrapping up the main story

• Locked thread