Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

Is this game hard or am i really bad? I cant parry at all. I cant get the timing down

Yeah, parrying can be a bit annoying, unless you're just in a 1v1 or 1v2 situation, where it's more manageable. In the end I wound up dodging/sidestepping when fighting humans in most cases, or diving behind the enemy to attack, if they've got a shield or a halberd.

proverb posted:

If you've played blood and wine, it's like an encore performance for all the worst Witcher 1 mobs, except now they're cool.

I agree - I really didn't like that Barghest encounter in W1, but in W3 they (and the other creatures from the old games that featured in B&W - especially in the area with that cursed lady with the spoon collection) were much more interesting to encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

Um.. Well ya it would o.o deers run fast as gently caress dude and just punching it to death -- That would be a lot of punching and you would probably get tired

Yeah, and imagine if it decided to try goring you with those antlers - I dare say it'll do more damage than a punch! That hunter is either very brave, or very stupid
Such a good .gif though hahah

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Heh, not entirely certain if all these empty-quotes drawing attention to my post is a good thing or a bad thing :v:
In any case, as I finished the game a little while ago and have been considering replaying it via 'new game+', when you reach B&W does your estate keep all the upgrades, or does it fall back into disrepair? Since I sank a lot of money into that place, not long before finishing the story - so now I'm basically broke and don't really want it to all be for nothing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

nah wait until the end. The second expansion is 99% officially set after the main story and the first one is, uh, whenever, but imo still makes more sense played afterwards

Yeah, I agree - I think other people say that they always play HoS during the main story, but I think it's better to be left until afterwards, when you aren't also dealing with a heap of other poo poo like getting Dandelion out of yet another mess. (Plus it allows you to focus entirely on the HoS story, and I think it's better that way, rather than splitting it with the main plot)
Otherwise yeah, BaW is definitely after the main story and HoS, as it paves the way for Geralt's eventual retirement.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

are there consequences for letting vigi the loon die?

Pretty sure he just doesn't show up to help Geralt at a certain point later on with the others, but he's more of an extra than anything, in the story segment I'm referring to. So no, not really, from what I recall.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I figured that Geralt would have wanted to spite both of them for making him do a bunch of convoluted nonsense to settle their own score but at the end of the day I at least owed Master Mirror for the tip at the start of the base game and busting me out of the Olfieri ship while Olgierd was a dick who didn't do anything for me. And Gaunter was a bro anyway. That scene where he just casually sticks a spoon in that dude's brain lmfao.

I absolutely refused any reward from him though. I know better than that at least.

Yeah, I feel that Actual Geralt(tm) probably would've let Gaunter have Olgierd but not ask for anything in return - simply because as you mentioned, Gaunter helped Geralt out twice now (once just seemingly randomly at the start of the game), and all Olgierd has done is be a dick towards Geralt. (I know he turns out to be a top bloke etc etc if you save him, but that's far from obvious when you're doing his quests)

I myself saved him though, because I like being the good guy. I feel that it's something I/Geralt may live to regret, though - pissing off the devil himself is bound to have consequences! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Grandmother of Five posted:

In order to not be too negative because it really is a great game, my fav line from the game that made me lol;

Lambert: You had to kneel down to see that?

Yeah, that quote is pretty great! TW3 also has one of the best poems around: "Lambert Lambert, what a prick"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Sapkowski is the perfect grumpy old Eastern European rear end in a top hat and he owns even though the books aren't very good. He originally thought the Witcher 1 was going to like Pong or Tetris with a Witcher skin because he refuses to accept that video games can have stories. I love him

Hey now, I found that the books were good! Not to everyone's liking (at least, the main saga wouldn't be) sure, but I liked 'em.

I didn't know about his opinions on video games though - that's hilarious! :D I guess it might explain why he apparently originally signed a deal where he doesn't get any royalties from the games at all; he must have thought it would make no money whatsoever, anyway!
(Naturally I can't be 100% sure on how accurate that is though, seeing as it was just some article I read about him online, which said all of this)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BBJoey posted:

if you played witcher 1, returning to kaer morhen in 3 is an intense feel

Yeah, same with after reading the books (mainly the first ones in the saga) where Geralt and co. spend a winter there. Then in TW3 when they all make the hard decision to leave it for good, after Uncle Vesemir died. :( That was a huge bittersweet part of the game, with Geralt and the others having a great time talking poo poo, messing around with Vesemir's old hat, then seeing him (and potentially Lambert) be killed right after.

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

I bet cyberpunk is gonna be great

Definitely! Can't wait for it - I really hope they pull it off.

Palpek posted:

I'd ignore the rune guy because his mods aren't that useful and save your cash for grandmaster witcher sets in B&W.

Yeah, this is absolutely correct; I don't think it's worth it really, unless you've got spare time and a lot of cash. Definitely prioritize the grandmaster equipment sets, if anything.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I play with KB+M, but that's only because I don't actually have a controller for my PC. :shobon: I really oughta get one, one of these days...
(Also yeah, definitely seconding the quality of the soundtrack)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

dwarf salesman: would you like some fleet footed dodging? it's like regular dodging except more... fun.

geralt: okay... i'l take 5 points worth.

*a horde of monsters holding signs that say "we don't acknowledge fleet footed dodging"*

geralt: d'oh!

hahah so good :D I loved that 'Itchy and Scratchy money' scene

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

funny screenshot of the witcher 3 i saw in fyad

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Geralt: Whoa, watch it Roach... Another group of drowners up ahead.

hahaha :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wait there's free dlc packs as well?

Yeah, there are some DLC packs that feature contracts (fairly quick standalone ones, but I remember them being good) as well as some costumes for the other main characters. I'd definitely recommend downloading the contract packs for your second playthrough

• Locked thread