Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just played Hearts of Stone and it was insanely good. I thought Gaunter was going to be bad but he was a really great villain. Too many cutscenes though, I wish it had let me actually play the heist mission.

Blood and Wine is sexy as hell and extremely funny so far. CDProjekt are bae.

Harrow posted:

Hearts of Stone is really super good. I didn't play it when it first came out so I'm doing it now just before Blood and Wine and I'm really impressed by the whole thing.
this is what I did. I'm really glad I saved it to now to appreciate it. Got spoiled a bit for ith though :(

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

at the date posted:

I oneshotted the whole group in the inn with grapeshot so in the following cutscene the whole room was drenched in gore while bystanders were screaming and vomiting. I don't think the devs meant that scene to be quite so hardcore.
I did that too. The innkeeper's horrified reaction makes more sense this way imo

Bobnumerotres posted:

i dont touch the gwent at all and im glad that the game never, ever forces you to do it. even in sidequests where it seems like you have to play someone for info you can actually just murder/thieve your way through it
gwent's actually good fun and i never play card minigames due to still crying out "pazaak" in my sleep years after KotOR

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

one thing i love about gwent is the way characters casually talk about the rare cards which almost exclusively represent geralt and his friends and never acknowledge that there's anything weird about it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jerkops posted:

*fat drunk at the tavern talking to his mates* You got a Triss card? Hell yeah... That's my waifu

He's drunk because he makes bad decisions, like picking Triss.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

arcomage is he best.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Equine Phantoms is the best quest of all time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I replayed it modded out the rear end end of last year and it was a good time. play the Autumn Leaves mod

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

i beat the vanilla game and started on hearts of stone. the wedding was lots of fun!
it's so good. all three main HoS quests are amazing but I wish Open Sesame had been a bit more interactive

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

thats the wrong choice, imo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Hearts of Stone is Shani actually. The aspiring medic.
I loved Shani in TW1 despite the crazy buggy grandma lady who randomly spawned to throw you out of her house.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Blood and wine is much better than hearts of stone
they each showcase one of TW3's two greatest strengths, hearts of stone the brilliant writing and quest design and blood and wine the fantastic world and exploration. I liked Blood and Wine more too but that's drat clever

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BBJoey posted:

there's something to be said for both having a very carefully paced story with barely any distractions like HoS and having a sprawling open world where there's a main quest but also a hundred other things, and I'm glad that witcher 3 did both with its expansions
it's drat smart thinking because it stops them feeling like just "more of the same". which would still be great but i love their distinct identities. CDProjekt have grown so muhc, and i'm proud of them

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, and imagine if it decided to try goring you with those antlers - I dare say it'll do more damage than a punch! That hunter is either very brave, or very stupid
Such a good .gif though hahah

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor is my friend.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Heh, not entirely certain if all these empty-quotes drawing attention to my post is a good thing or a bad thing :v:
In any case, as I finished the game a little while ago and have been considering replaying it via 'new game+', when you reach B&W does your estate keep all the upgrades, or does it fall back into disrepair? Since I sank a lot of money into that place, not long before finishing the story - so now I'm basically broke and don't really want it to all be for nothing.
It's all for nothing. I was kinda disappointed in the estate to be honest, I wanted it to be a cool party villa where [all the characters from Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy etc] would come in and join my birthday party every day. It gave me bad feels to build a guest bedroom that nobody ever came to stay in..... and also for that to happen in th e game, haha.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tumor looking batty posted:

I'm in novagrad and getting bored of all the fetch quests. Does it get better
yeah Novigrad is probably the low point. I love city areas and it's incredibly well designed and has good side quests but the main quest in it is a drag

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

julian assflange posted:

Just played a great quest in B&W where Roach can talk and it's ftw.
that quest is excellent. the dev who posts in the Games thread wrote it and wanted to make it so you could keep Roach talking forever and she would comment on everything in the expansion but it didn't happen

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

I played this for a while when it came out and got to Novigrad (I think I was looking for Dandelion?) and stopped for some reason and never played again .... reinstalled today and decided to just start a fresh save and I'm really getting into it.... also I never touched Gwent the first time around but now it's starting to click for me and it's great. The interface improvements they patched in with the inventory and stuff are a godsend too because that poo poo was miserable at launch.

Oh yeah is there any reason to buy the DLC now or should I just wait until endgame? I know the second expansion takes place in a totally new location but I think I remember hearing that the first one is mostly stuff in Novigrad; is it like Souls or Bloodborne where it gets integrated into the main story or is it its own thing that I won't be messing with until the end of the campaign?
nah wait until the end. The second expansion is 99% officially set after the main story and the first one is, uh, whenever, but imo still makes more sense played afterwards

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah apparently alchemy is gamebreakingly good at higher levels but the descriptions of all the skills were a bit too abstract for me to bother with lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I saved him because I feel like Geralt wouldn't miss the chance to gently caress up Satan's day for kicks

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eh the combat is fine for what it is . I like the preparation aspect better than the moment to moment fighting itself though

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sapkowski is the perfect grumpy old Eastern European rear end in a top hat and he owns even though the books aren't very good. He originally thought the Witcher 1 was going to like Pong or Tetris with a Witcher skin because he refuses to accept that video games can have stories. I love him

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

theres absolutely no way this will be good on a Netflix budget but I'm hoping it's at least fun in a goofy way

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plutonis posted:

The games are like the only reason people outside of Poland are reading his books why would he complain

he genuinely doesn't believe this, he thinks his books getting translated is what made the games popular, and he still has a confused old man belief that games *literally* can't have stories or characters and that the Witcher games are basically complex versions of Tetris or Pong which have his characters and lore as window dressing like having Batman on the side of a pinball cabinet or whatever. For a dude who writes trashy pulp fantasy he's insanely elitist lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HoS is a brilliant compact series of quests telling an amazing story and is probably the best 5-6 hours of the game (apart from the bank heist mission where are the fun looking bits are 90% cutscene for some reason). Blood and Wine is an epic new 30-hour open world adventure by a team at the peak of their powers but obviously isn't as focused. They're both extremely powerful in very different ways, and I love it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

goferchan posted:

at launch there was an exploit where you could slaughter infinitely respawning cows in White Orchard for their hides and make infinite money. when they addressed it in a patch , the notes just said "Added Bovine Defense Force Initiative" and now a massive overleveled Chort shows up and murders you if you kill too many cows. Also in one of the expansions if you're holding too much money a tax collector shows up and accuses you of "engaging in illegal rawhide trade in the white orchard reigon" or something lol
my favourite thing about this is that he's the most reliable dropper of red mutagens or whatever in the game so I used him to grind them early and he kept running off to murder everyone in white orchard

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Switch between the two highest difficulties depending on your mood. Or play it on hardest and use the mod that lets you equip more than a few talents at a time because it makes the game 100x more fun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm enjoying the quests and writing so far, but man it's a lot of talking.. I can see why this game takes so long to beat..

I was a little sad to see the alchemy collecting is the same tho. I don't know how to fix that but running around an open world struggling to get the camera just right to pick up the last flower you need is balls.

Haven't done much fighting yet aside from the random baddiez in the field but I'm suiting up for my first real fight. Does this game have special timed hits? I remember that being a thing but don't remember any tutorial mentioning it
don't bother collecting alchemy stuff 90% of the time, just buy it off herbalists for cheap

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the arbitrary mobs of random normal-looking enemies that are actually extremely powerful are the worst part of the game but they don't really matter too much

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

https://youtu.be/A3GEPkjNh6k

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

at the date posted:

Yeah, nothing until the first DLC comes close to the Crones as villains, particularly not the Wild Hunt. You feel their influence all over Velen long before they're so much as named.

The Wild Hunt kind of suck lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

those talents are great because respeccing mid/late-game is cheap as gently caress and they're super useful up until that point

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I dunno if I'll ever replay this and it makes me kind of sad

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

is Witcher 1 really that bad

It's insanely janky and sometimes kind of bonkers but it's worth playing and dirt cheap

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Holy poo poo lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the Skellige ?s really feel like someone was tasked with filling up all the empty sea parts and had no idea what to put in them lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1 is fun and has some really surreal bits due to the low budget and janky nature. The best part is when you go to a party with Zoltan, Dandelion and Shani and you're all reminiscing about the past. It's supposed to be a special heartwarming chillout scene because Geralt has amnesia and this is the first time he's had the chance to settle down with friends and have a drink since he came back from the dead. Instead it's a nightmarish David Lynch situatiuon where ominous music keeps playing for no reason, everyone stands around with bulging eyes not talking to each other, Dandelion sings a song badly while the background music keeps playing and nobody acknowledges him, Shani's grandmother has a fixed 50% chance of throwing you out of the house every time you go downstairs because they forgot to turn that script off for the party scene, and Zoltan rumbles around roaring "PICKLES, GERRLT, WE HUV TAE GET SOME PIIIICKLES AND BREAAAAD" while the screen swims in and out of vision

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Also its possible to permanently keep the old lady from kicking you out when she acts like its her birthday and tells you she wants golden gloves. I eventually bought them because I got kicked out of the house 20 times in a row once
I did that but she forgot

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

it's fun but it's no Arcomage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremely steampunk posted:

just beat the main story, what an awesome game.

running around deserted kaer morhen now feeling really sad. on to the DLC

the game world feels so lonely after you're finished, it made me too melancholy to clear up the remaining points of interest and stuff. B&W kind of helps with that but I wish there was some way to hang out with Geralt's buds in the wild

• Locked thread