Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If you like a Gwent quest, I tell you I'm your man,
You win some, lose some, it's all the same to me,
The pleasure is to play, makes no difference what you say,
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is
Sigismund Dijkstra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

klapman posted:

If you're interested in Gwent at all, you might want to start now. Apparently if you wait too long the Gwent difficulty will scale up and even Swamp Farmer Bob will have a top tier deck. That's just what I heard though and I never bothered with it myself

It's not so much that, like the first couple of games are always hard no matter who you play, it's just that you kind of need to build a collection and keeping track of who you've won cards from is easier if you just kind of play Gwent as you go. Plus it'd be kind of boring to play it all in one stretch, riding Roache around to find every dang blacksmith or w/e

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Gwent seems kind of dumb, like there's not much strategy compared to real card games, since bigger numbers are always better.

It's easy but it's not really about the bigger numbers. Like all card games, you win when you have card advantage, so you just play one of the two factions with spies, pack decoys, and play with your whole deck. Sometimes the AI has the same strategy but they're not as good at it so you win anyway.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rediscover posted:

Anti-Goomba Stomp: Failing a quest or even a side objective and having that red X next to it forever, in this game

This happened to me with Ciri's race with the Baron, and it was a glitch. It showed me the movie for her winning the race, then showed me the movie for her losing and gave me the big fail X.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Played Witcher 3 entirely on a controller because I'm a filthy console player

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like the brawls on the controller, because it's basically the very, very easy version of the satisfying counter attack from Bloodborne over and over again, with your opponent never landing a blow as you repeatedly punch him in the face while a small crowd cheers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I haven't played the game in over a month and I still have the Toussaint song stuck in my head.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I know what you mean but I feel like that has as much to do with the fact that I put dozens of hours into this awesome game, so the music was going to get repetitive eventually no matter what

Yeah, like the sad Velen violins got tiresome because I kept going back to Crow's nest to sell armor and the Skellige music grating on me is my own fault for finding all the ?s, but it does a decent job of mostly being subtle enough that 100s of hours later, you don't want to murder the person who wrote it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

every couple of pages a new person starts the DLC for the first time and i am always extremely jealous.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the game world feels so lonely after you're finished, it made me too melancholy to clear up the remaining points of interest and stuff. B&W kind of helps with that but I wish there was some way to hang out with Geralt's buds in the wild

Yeah, I tried to clear the POI about halfway through B&W's Main Quest, so the very last thing I did was the actual epilogue, then buying a few things for New Game +

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean if you're used to stuff like Bloodborne, even only swords Deathmarch is going to be a breeze, probably. I don't like that kind of difficulty in games with random encounters, but I'd still believe the horse races are the hardest part besides maybe two bosses in the DLC.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a well known fact that most Witchers die by drowning while looking for treasure in a sunken ship, falling off a cliff, or committing rage-suicide after losing a horse race.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

yes waiter ill have the raw meat with crate cheese

this plus vodka is the entire diet of Velen peasants

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im playing this for the first time, what should I be putting ability points in?

im level 9 and I have points in muscle memory, resolve, fleet footed, melt armor and acquired tolerance.

also im overwhelmed by the number of quests jesus christ there's so many

Start out with the physical stuff if you feel overwhelmed and then maybe switch to signs or alchemy when you Respec. I'd recommend the first few points in Axii so you can use it for hilarious hypnotism in dialog options

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

i dont remember what its called but the shield sign is extremely powerful for learning/first time. like everyone else said though on normal or lower you can do whatever and be fine

Yeah Quen is really excellently good and I used it a ton in my first playthrough while learning enemy attacks. Being able to take one hit without it doing any damage is nice

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if its maxed you wont take any damage while dodging, which makes you practically invincible

Someone in the main thread said that it doesn't actually work, though. I dunno, I never took it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dwarf salesman: would you like some fleet footed dodging? it's like regular dodging except more... fun.

geralt: okay... i'l take 5 points worth.

*a horde of monsters holding signs that say "we don't acknowledge fleet footed dodging"*

geralt: d'oh!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm on a console so i can't get the mod that puts the oils on automatically but I don't think it's that's hard to throw an old on your sword before combat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

the whole oil thing is sort of silly because you can reapply it during combat. honestly they should have made it just stay active the entire fight until you change it, because there's no penalty for pausing the game and reapplying the oil.

yeah. like i guess they did it so you'd have to make the improved versions, but they could have just incremented the damage a little instead

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

i just took it from peoples houses. they dont really seem to care if you ransack their homes for food and water despite having names like Poor Townsman and Peasant and constantly saying stuff like oi guvnor i eat so many pine cones my arse has splinters

Some kid, while a veiny weirdo runs off with all his potable water: We's catching snails!! :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Don't you get extra XP if you don't negotiate for $ most of the time, though? Money grows on trees in this game, I'd prefer the experience

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The weeping and buzzing flies you hear in most Velen towns is actually just a recording of the working conditions at CD Projekt Red.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

i kept most of it for a while, but eventually i just sold everything that wasnt a flawless gem or dimeritium cos having 6000 items in your inventory makes it lag on the ps4. chitinous shells are useful too and green gold + copper from the blood and wine dlc is needed but you can sell everything else

i love walking into a hovel where children are sleeping on the floor but when you look through their shelves, you find a bunch of diamond dust

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"oi, master witcher, i had to trade all my coin for this 'ere diamond what the pellar said if i ground up and rubbed on my ballock-sack, i'd be free of the pox i got from ploughin' a drowner. so i have nough to give ye, boi 'okey and top o' the mornin' to yeh. would you like to play some gwent?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I did most of main game up until just before the end, then did Hearts of Stone, then the end of the Main Quest, then B&W, and I think Main Game, HoS, B&W is probably better. The only good thing about doing the latter is you get to do it dressed as maximum Geralt Cool Dad in a huge robe.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Everything about B&W is pretty well thought out. Like it doesn't even have as good of a Main Quest as HoS IMO (it's good, just HoS's is better), but it takes all the stuff from the base game and both celebrates and laughs at it in a really satisfying way to close out 100+ hours of Witcher 3. The horse quest, the one where you negotiate for potatoes, the testicles quest, the Gwent Dwarves, the postgame quest that sums up your choices...

Plus the overworld music still gets stuck in my head whenever I think of a similar setting anymore, and it's been at least six months since I played B&W. That and the Gwent music really stand out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wish B&W had added the dies to the base game instead of just to Touissant. My brother is playing through it now and I keep wanting to make the Griffin Armor red.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I'm near the end of B&W, thinking about doing another play through and actually playing gwent.

Should I do NG+ or just start a second game.

I'd do NG+, and buy a couple of potions of clearance before you switch over. That way, you can change your playstyle a ton in White Orchard until you find something you want to stick with for a little while. Plus, you probably haven't finished your mutations and stuff. Stuff any gear you want to take with you in your stash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Sounds good. I've bought a few mutations already though, the first combat one, first sign one, and 2 of the alchemy ones (using euphoria at the moment), so I have 2 of the extra ability slots opened up.

Potions of clearance are probably a good idea because I'm definitely built towards concoction abuse due to having all the alchemy formula and have 5 points into acquired tolerance, which won't help at all in a new game.

It actually will. You keep your potions. You get weapon and armor diagrams again, but they're upgraded to reflect your higher level.

• Locked thread