Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Every time I watch a series of Modern matches with a deck that uses Mishra's Bauble, I always wish it could be a Spellbomb instead. If it weren't for that fuckin zero, I bet it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

That and it replacing itself for free, which spellbomb can't. I've been looking at abzan midrange decklists online lately and seeing a lot with 1-2 spellbomb main though.

Yeah, it's being able to do everything it needs to for free is why Bauble is so ubiquitous. It's just such a lame card to play and people only play with it because they have to and not because they want to. I'd so much rather return a blocker to hand or put two damage in an opponent's face than look at the top card of a library.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I uses to play Enlightened Tutor in the sideboard of Maverick to find Ethersworn Canonist for storm matchups.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm not having fun when I'm on the receiving end of Stifle, Wasteland, and Daze, but that's just my opinion.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

May I recommend Burn?

My first Legacy deck was Merfolk in 2009 :v: I loved wrecking people's days with Force of Will, Daze, Stifle, and Cursecatcher like the rest of you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Play Assemble the Legion every chance you get.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Should I play Loam Depths or mono B Pox tomorrow at the Legacy 1k?

I know Loam is more powerful, but Pox makes the opponent more miserable.

Do you really want to spend the money on entry and a chunk of your Saturday with a deck that will make someone else regret their decision to participate slightly more than you will when you get the crap beat out of you by other decks?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Go 0-2 drop and do anything else there is to do in Vegas until you're completely out of money and your only way out of it is to jump off the edge of Hoover Dam.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I wonder if you can get away with putting a card like Drake Haven in Seismic Swans. Seems like a good way to get around Leyline of Sanctity.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Modern fam, there are three upcoming PPTQs in Wyoming that I plan on going to. I've been slowly getting back into it since I sold my stash in 2013, but cards I bought in 2009 and 2010 are worth a shitload more now.

Hour of Devastation will have been released before the PPTQs start in August, but I'm for now going to presume that there are no major changes after the set's release and to the banlist. I'm expecting the meta to be reflective of what it looks like now, so Death's Shadow, (Eldrazi) Tron, Counters Company, Affinity, Burn, Storm, and Dredge.

The decks I have completed (as in: I don't have to make janky substitutions from my card pool) are Skred Red and R/W Prison. I want to be able to compete, so if I"m going to drive for two hours to Casper or four hours to Cheyenne, then I at least want to go 0-2 drop with something competitive. I'm afraid that Skred just isn't going to cut it and I'm probably over worried that R/W Prison is going to have its prison cards eaten by Abrupt Decay by BGx Death's Shadow decks. I can probably buy into another deck so long as it's rooted in red, green, or white over two months.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Typhus733 posted:

I would think any deck with main board chalice and blood moon would be in a pretty good spot right now actually.

Then why aren't they showing up in the top eight? Is it because the format's saturated with Death's Shadow and other aggressive decks or is it because they are able to beat Chalice and Blood Moon?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

For the same reason, Llanowar Elves seem better than Arbor Elf.

If you attach Utopia Sprawl to a basic Forest, then you'll get four mana from the enchanted land if you untap it with Arbor Elf.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

That's when you bring in Threeball and Bosejiu/Cavern of Souls! :eng101:

Trinisphere doesn't change the converted mana cost of cards ya dingus

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yeah, but spending CoS Mana on threeball's added cost will let you get around Chalice

No it doesn't. Trinisphere just adds mana to the total casting cost of the card, but effects that change the total casting cost of a card do not change the converted mana cost.

Spending mana generated by Boseiju or Cavern of Souls to cast a spell will prevent Chalice of the Void from countering it, but Trinisphere just adds to the total casting cost.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

kirtar posted:

So where exactly is your disagreement? He is saying that the added casting cost from Trinisphere makes it possible to use Boseju or Cavern uncounterable mana where it might not otherwise be possible. This of course stops working if you drop a Blood Moon.

I guess there isn't one. But then what the gently caress are you doing playing janky poo poo like that and not just casting mana ramp spells on or ahead of curve like you're supposed to?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just make it old school Legacy play Stiflenought.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

leper khan posted:

Dehumanize and submit to combo. Play belcher. You get to go for walks outside between rounds because you get like 40-60 extra minutes of free time /per round/. More of some rear end in a top hat is playing a draw go mirror.

I think my own personal hatred for combo comes from playing against Show and Tell every Wednesday for Legacy. The guy playing the deck was one of the the three shop owners and would just beat up anyone he could quickly with Show and Tell. If he got first, then he got store credit and got to use his employee discount on top of it.

It was fuckin lovely.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It was also a place where the only way to win credit as a prize was to place first and you had to use it that day, so you couldn't build it up to buy some expensive card, just get a $10 discount. Prize packs couldn't be traded in or anything and I didn't have the sense yet to just stash my prize packs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In Modern tonight, I was playing RW Prison and beat an RG Tron deck in game two by keeping an Urza's Tower tapped with Ajani Vengeant. My opponent kept drawing copies of Ulamog and wasn't able to find any Tron lands to get him to ten mana while I built up Ajani to destroy his lands and Nahiri for Emrakul. He conceded the turn before I could use the ultimate abilities of both planeswalkers on my next turn.

Seems good.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
They can unban Jace when I have a playset of them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Can we splash white so that Knight of the Reliquary can play too? Or would it just be Tireless Tracker?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

Fine Jace can stay gone

Instead free Stoneforge

They can unban Stoneforge Mystic after I get my playset first.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Sexual Shiite posted:

promos are 13 bucks each on Amazon. Get to buying.

I don't like foils.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I'm one of those people that prefers all of his cards to be of the same edition and finish if I can help it. Foils are typically more expensive than regular cards too, so I'd rather use the money I save buying plain cards to buy more plain cards. It takes something like foil special editions of a card that are way cheaper than the regular one for me to consider them. Like, if I needed Loyal Retainers for a deck, I'd rather pay ~$30 for one that came from Commander's Arsenal or the Amonkhet Invocation edition because it's cheaper than the $50 I'd have to pay for one from Portal: Three Kingdoms if I wanted it in English.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Maybe these people should put out new videos or articles as the metagame changes so that people aren't quoting things that aren't relevant anymore.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the other acceptable time is when the foil reprints are in the correct frame, e.g. Crucible of Worlds and Noble Hierarch

I don't have nostalgia for a period of the game I never played in.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I use as many different printing as possible of a card to piss people off.

I don't get pissed that other people do that :shrug:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm like the only person where I play that keeps track of life totals on paper. Play all the white border, mismatched editions cards you want in your schoolgirl anime sleeves.

Just keep track of your life total with pen and paper, represent tapped cards by turning them a full 90 degrees, and have your planeswalkers that enter the battlefield have their loyalty marked even if they're staying at their starting loyalty.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

I keep track of life totals on my phone because it's FNM, who cares. If I play a GP or PPTQ the pen and paper come out. 100% agree with the others, although I've never seen any of the...unusual methods of marking loyalty.

Using a phone app to keep track of life totals is an acceptable aubstitute for pen and paper at $5 tournaments like FNM and Standard Showdown. Just no dice, sticks, teeth, whatever....

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It would probably be Thoughtseize that eats the ban.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

In turn one, you can knock your life total down to 15 with a fetchland, shockland, and a Thoughtseize and pick off a card that will take out your Death's Shadow or delve creature. In turn two, if you have a second Thoughtseize, you can do it again and put yourself at 10 life and have a 3/3 Death's Shadow. Without Thoutseize, you need to spend more time whittling away your own life total to get a sizable Death's Shadow.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Welcome to the lands club.

Wouldn't it be a country club?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Halo posted:

sounds like my kind of party. out of curiosity, what is the main issue with Icy in current formats? the casting cost seems maybe like it's too high to play early? i figure it would be good for preventing creature attacks but that's all i got. thanks!

Icy Manipulator is from a time in Magic that they just made cards without a care in the world if they were good or bad. The good stuff ended up being mostly spells and artifacts that accelerate mana for the price of zero or one mana. There may be a ton of creatures from ABU that became archetypes for things down the road, but Serra Angel's dominion is in limited. I'd be more excited to have a Beta Birds of Paradise or Lord of Atlantis than a Beta Serra Angel.

If you want an effect that's evocative of Icy Manipulator, I would recommend Ajani Vengeant.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Archenteron posted:

I mean if you're poxing, don't you throw in mind stone? That or comedy answer Knight of the White Orchid

Knight of the White Orchid is not a joke and I will fight you to the death.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

X-post: Iconic Masters previews are happening at Hascon and they're uhhhhhhh pretty dece.

Horizon Canopy (and the whole FUT land cycle)
Flusterstorm
Mana Drain
Cryptic Command
Ancestral Visions
Auriok Champion (at uncommon)
Glimpse the Unthinkable
Aether Vial
Magus of the Moon
Thoughtseize (with its original art)
Others that I'm probably forgetting

Channel
Fireball

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Snacksmaniac posted:

A big list of cards that were in my buylist pile.
Can I get snappy at rare please ?

No. I also have no hope in Noble Hierarch getting a reprint.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Even Thomas Kinkade had the decency not to put a bright loving logo on his paintings.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Modern Scapeshift/Breach crew- why do I keep seeing decks running 2x Relic of Progenitus mainboard? Is having a graveyard wipe + cantrip useful enough for maindeck slots? Admittedly I'm running Emrakuls so I'd rather keep my graveyard around for the chance to shuffle it all back in, but I might ended cutting down on those if not removing them altogether. Is Relic that much better than running more ramp or something like an extra Bolt?

Also, anyone try SSG in the deck? I picked up a couple and am thinking of trying them out, having better odds at a turn 3 Breach seems handy. I've seen a handful of lists running them online but it's not commonplace.

You're trying to erase the graveyard before someone can cast Tasigur or Gurmag Angler or flashback a spell with Snapcaster Mage. It also draws you a card sometimes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

Well yeah it's a good and useful card, don't get me wrong. I'm just wondering if the deck has some inherent weakness to decks that use the graveyard as a resource (Dredge, Grixis Death's Shadow, Storm) that I haven't picked up on. I haven't seen too many decks at my store lately that fit that description, so maindecking graveyard hate isn't something that I feel is necessary for the deck (at least when I'm playing it around here).

Adjust for your meta. If there aren't decks that have graveyard manipulation in your meta, then don't worry about it.

But now I'm reminiscing about Alara-Zendikar Standard when I could play Quenchable Flames in Red Deck Wins because blue was in such a weak position. Then Jace, the Mind Sculptor was printed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's a Ramunap deck in Modern?