Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Legacy is the greatest format.

http://imgur.com/a/5nRLi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Why should I be playing City of Solitude over Defense Grid in ANT?

Stops your opponent from using top (relevant with counterbalance and with miracles floating countermagic on top of their deck to protect it from discard).

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Why would you be playing either of these in ANT? Do you have a list? I've only ever seen Defense Grid in Vintage Storm. That and also Serenity for the lists that splash white instead of red in the side. I just can't imagine either of those played in ANT....not sure what you'd cut for them.

I have had city of solitude played against me out of ANT. Seems like you could swap it in for Xantid Swarm - it has a similar effect, isn't vulnerable to creature removal (bolt often stays in vs storm, and as miracles I leave in some plow/terminus/staticasters for empty the warrens, dark confidant, and xantid swarm), works the turn you cast it, and is stronger vs miracles. It is significantly more expensive, though, so not all upside.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I've always thought both of those would be way too slow and expensive for Legacy. City isn't that bad if you're playing Trop + Bayou (I run the 15 lands with both personally) but I still can't imagine losing anything to fit in 2-3 more cards in the side. I guess I'll have to watch the Cheon videos and see how they ended up. I just feel like we already have the tools to beat any deck we'd ever want Grid/Solitude against. I don't even have Xantid in the side and took out Carpet of Flowers a while back too. Shrug.

I have never played storm so idk. When it was cast against me I force of willed it.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

I actually bring in 1 wear/tear in the dark vs ANT for carpet of flowers, grid, city and other random stuff - at worst it's a 1/2 for counterbalance. If I see a target I bring in the other one for game 3.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 22, 2016

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Not an Aggro Loam player, but Garruk comes in against Miracles and I would assume stuff like Merfolk and D&T. Engineered Plague on monk will kill Mentor tokens. Pulse I could see vs Miracles (it's an out to Moat, is a CMC3 so hard to CB, and can kill Jace or a bunch of monk tokens or whatever).

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

So I am playing Miracles vs TES and my opponent and I just discovered that Rite of Flame produces 0 mana with a Rest in Peace out.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, we both realized it was a bug. Can I file for comp even though I won the match (possibly because of the bug, not really clear if my opponent could have won that game anyway)?

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Got back:

quote:

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast customer support. I'm sorry you encountered an error with Rite of Flame in your League event.

Normally we would nullify the results of this match and give you another chance to win this game without any problems arising. However, you won the match in question. Therefore, I have not nullified this match.

Please let me know if you would like to nullify this match for a chance to play it without problems.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/seKekfs.jpg

Won this game on a mulligan to 3 on the play against an opponent who kept 7 and played a turn 3 Choke (which stayed on the board for a lot of turns). Don't keep your Veteran Explorers in vs Miracles, Nic Fit players. Also be careful with your Pithing Needle names, I guess.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 23, 2016

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

I think it would be very viable in a miracles-heavy format as something you can drop turn 1 and then just kill them with and it doesn't die to StP. Against most other decks I think most of the regular spells are just better.

The problem with this is that Miracles is already bringing in wear//tear for Vortex, Eidolon, and random SB cards. A lot of EEs around right now too. Also as a 1 drop it is really bad vs established countertop if you don't have it in your opener. Really for the Miracles matchup with burn you just want 4 firecrafts and try to knock your opponent low enough before they get cb/top to finish them off with them.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Plow and most if not all of your terminus stay in against burn. Not only does burn have a bunch of creatures that are very important to answer but you can use plow as a life gain spell in a pinch and terminus counterbalances fireblast and gets rid of eidolon without extra damage.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Things that happened in legacy tonight at my LGS:

- My tin fins opponent drew the whole deck except 5 cards, couldn't go off, moved to discard, I point at their Jin-Gitaxias "you draw 7 and lose".
- I cast Arcanis the Omnipotent twice (and attacked with it for 6 in one game).
-Survived a turn where I untapped with 1 life and a Sulfiric Vortex in play.

Greatest format.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 13, 2016

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Archenteron posted:

What deck runs Arcanis?

Was running it as a 1-of over my third Jace in legend miracles purely for fun.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Everyone always says this (they also say it about every deck so :shrug:) and I've never seen it win a game, let alone a match.

I play Miracles, I have a friend who plays Merfolk who I have played against many times and watched play against many times. The matchup is not good for Miracles if the Merfolk player doesn't wildly overextend into Terminus without countermagic backup. Counterbalance is next to worthless and a single TNN demands a Terminus, Council's Judgment, or EE, and Chalice on 1 is a huge beating. Mutavaults are also incredibly annoying for the Miracles player if they are not overextended into a big Terminus.

Postboard Moat is big game against them - their only out is usually 1-2 Echoing Truth if that - otherwise it's still not great.

I would call it at least a 60-40 matchup for Merfolk if not better. IIRC I am like 2-7 personally against my experienced Merfolk friend.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 31, 2016

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

http://imgur.com/a/DxVcm

Greatest thief in the multiverse.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Back when you had legacy dailies, you occasionally had people entering with pauper decks. I guess someone decided to keep doing so with leagues.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what are you playing? UWR mentor or something?

i don't see the card snapcaster mage all that much in vintage

Big blue UWR control.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Apparently you can no longer use undo to change the order you are putting back cards mid-ponder or top activation on MTGO. I think I've had to retop about a dozen times in one match tonight so far because I'm so used to using undo liberally.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Another one bites the dust.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 14, 2016

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

At least one of which is a Tropical Island.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I've been experimenting with two different builds, with and without a street wraith / reanimate package. Here are where they both are presently:

This may just be a worse BUG delver, tarmogoyf overall is likely more reliable than death's shadow, but the games where you get to go to 1 and swing with a 24/12 trampler backed by force/flusterstorm are pretty exciting.

Maindeck reanimate is also funny against RBx reanimator decks that aren't expecting it and pass turn with a fatty in the yard.

Being at 1 with force backup does not seem terribly exciting unless you have 3UU up.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

It is correct to scry yourself rather than fateseal your opponent with Jace if they have an active top going. You're not really accomplishing anything with the latter except make them spend a bit of mana.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

https://clips.twitch.tv/tmdbrassman/DullMonkeySuperVinlin

MTGO is a quality program.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

and in the P9 challenge too

Rich Shay is in the finals of that event with some Walking Balista/Hangarback Walker shops nonsense. wizards please restrict these oppressive artifacts so i can gush in peace

That was in a fun game he was playing after the challenge; Brassman was playing ballista/animation module shops in the P9 and lost in the first round of top 8.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah ravager + animation module is 1: put a +1/+1 counter on ravager which is pretty nuts. You then shunt that onto a ballista...

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Joe Lossett style Legend Miracles has always been pretty fringe. 4 ponder, some # of predict and counterspell, with mentor Miracles has been the most common build since before Fatal Push.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

http://imgur.com/a/1rWCh

The sweet tech of getting your opponent to play a combo piece for you.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Wat. You had grindstone down and they played servant? :psyduck:

They played t1 Painter on the play, I played Grindstone on my turn 1. They actually had a turn 2 Grindstone kill but needed to tap a mana to Pyroblast my Force of Will on their Grindstone, so they had to pass and I had Time Walk into the kill.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 18, 2017

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

https://clips.twitch.tv/BillowingSpoopyGnatDxAbomb

They can stop me from playing Miracles in Legacy, but they can't stop me from playing Miracles.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Pictured: a hardcast chalice for X=5 is countered by a hardcast force with two defense grids in play.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

http://i.imgur.com/qkRtskJ.png

Opponent scooped to this one.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Pictured: Not the greatest misdirection I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Man it feels good when your tiny % play of splitting Pyroblast and REB matters. (Opp didn't know about the Pyroblast, they were guessing based on the mana I left up/having REBed them last game).