Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Any thoughts on this list I've been messing with? I might sleeve this for FNM tonight.

I don't have breaches, if I did I might be playing a more normal moon list. I know Mox Monkey is sort of a questionable card (I'm down to 3 from 4 originally), but of course T2 blood moon can just be GG a lot of the time, and T3 Chandra or Jace can also be pretty hard to recover from. I've had games where I got a T3 walker and lost it 2-3 turns later, but had accrued enough value to either make another one stick, or flip a thing, etc.

Originally I had a 4/3 split of monkey/moon in the other direction, but I think it's probably better to play the full set of moon?

Logic Knot and Remand are better than Leak/Negate/spell pierce imo. You don't have ways to quickly close out the game so you're going to end up with leak/pierce stuck sitting dead in your hand when the game goes longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah Harvest Pyre is maybe a better singleton than Roast if you are worried about killing Goyfs, especially since you aren't running something like Logic Knot that's competing for GY cards.

Pyre is going to be real slow at killing an early Angler or Hollow One

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

I've been messing around with GW valuetown a bit, and curious why it might run a singleton Eldritch Evolution in the board. Against low removal decks? Why not just run a drat chord?

Valuetown is super slow to close out games and doesn't interact well with combo decks. Evolution is another copy of their kataki or eidolon of rhetoric or whatever that can be pumped out on turn 2

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it was pre-BBE and was not very good. really all you would do is shave a few numbers on your finks/trackers/courser and then add in like, a magus of the moon maindeck. Since the deck goes 1->3->5 mana a lot of the time anyway, you can get turn two hate cards out just like in GW value

There's an Eldritch Evolution list that keeps showing up in the list of 5-0 decks for mtgo leagues. The only other non-creature spell it runs is Saheeli Rai :eyepop:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

yea, my bad forgot it had oaths as well

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DurdleDuck posted:

^ Re: the Saheeli Evolution deck

I don’t think the above is really true, decks like Jeskai and Jund are quite hard, especially games 2 and 3 as you don’t gain as much after board as they do (tutor decks like this want “bullets” to knock out strategies, which ehh please let me know when you find the Jund/Jeskai bullet - I’m interested).;;

just make sure to never turn it into a creature vs. jeskai

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
reminder that not only are chinese counterfeits cheaper, they are also more moral to purchase. printing new cards involves actual labor as opposed to profiting off market manipulation

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

myDad posted:

I like to play Abzan with hand disruption in the main instead of more combo pieces :shrug: (reason being it can buy time to CoCo for the combo in faster matchups and can fight against Jund/Humans combination of cheap disruption & removal)

you mean like inquisition/thoughtseize? that sounds awful in your combo deck with 30 mana sources and a bunch of mopey creatures

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Lot of people run some number of tidehollow sculler main, which may be what he meant.

that's a little better since it's a hit off coco but it still seems awful against jund. playing anything that doesn't contribute to comboing off or out valuing your opponent is going to make you more vulnerable to getting picked apart by discard and removal. humans was the other deck mentioned but that seems awkward as well.

game one you should just be focusing on executing the combo as quickly and as resiliently as possible (at least in counters company where your combo pieces suck real bad on their own, the other company decks are a lot better at playing a fair game). save the actual interaction for post-board when your opponent will be better positioned to stop your plan A.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
unless you're playing in mtgo comp leagues, or with only players you know are good and are playing turned competitive decks, take your testing data with a huge grain of salt. The players in the high win brackets of a competitive event are going to do a much better job at knowing the card vines exists than your fnm opponents.

stompy seems questionable because you're awful at interaction and there's no guarantee you're going to be faster than whatever busted thing your opponent is doing. the answer in modern is always "play what you know" but ponza and elves have been having great results lately while stompy never shows up in the mtgo league results, meaning there's ~40 decks that are more viable than it currently

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
anyone in here play mardu pyromancer? i'm in the process of picking it up.

Got any tips and tricks that might not be obvious to a new pilot? Also how do you beat tron?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

No. A tempo deck doesn't want to spend 2 turns and 4 mana to get blown out by a Kolaghan's Command, especially when those 2 turns and 4 mana could cast actual cards and get a better clock out anyway.

maybe i could use my powerful brain to cast the other cards in my hand instead of running batterskull into a spell that my opponent is obviously representing

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Agreed, 3 gps is too few and it leads to some weird things in the data. Like Jeskai having atrocious kci and affinity win percentages while UW Control has positive win percentages against the.

That statistic doesnt really make much sense and terminusing etched champions doesnt account for how massive the difference is. What im thinking is that the UW players had Stony Silence (or other good sideboard answers to those decks) in their sideboard while Jeskai players didnt. Something like that would absolutely produce those results and the small sample size makes a mountain out of a mole hill.

it's very common for jeskai to not run any copies of stony

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn’t Jund a good matchup, especially now?

literally the only way spirits beats jund/mardu is coco into two copies of drogskol cavalry (or one and a phantasmal spirit)

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Jabor posted:

What do you think the odds are of rolling even vs. odd on 2d6?

Does your answer change if you first roll one die and look at it (let's suppose it's a 4) before rolling the second one?

lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Mardu is a bunch better but I don't think you can play a grindy black deck against Militia Bugler Humans.

:thunk:
http://www.starcitygames.com/decks/StarCityGamescom_Modern_Open/2018-07-28_modern_Indianapolis_IN_US/1/

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I obliterated Humans last night with this nonsense:

I'm thinking of sleeving this up for FNM next week, does anyone have any thoughts?

Faithless looting is suboptimal but it pitches nicely to lily and IDK what else I'm supposed to do to fix my hands in these colors.

the manabase seems pretty messy. so many basics, tapped lands, and colorless lands are gonna screw you up, seems like a deck that badly wants to curve out for the first three turns without any issues.

bolts don't make a ton of sense, you're a prison deck with tons of other answers to creatures and it's not like you have any sort of clock to speed up

other cards to consider off the top of my head: that land that gets luck counters, smallpox, fulminator mage. goblin rabblemaster would be really good for the sideboard

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Pontius Pilate posted:

I don’t think I’ve lost to uw control with mardu pyromancer but I think that’s mostly a function of masses of middling players picking it up in my mediocre meta.

This one I've also had issues with, mainly because of how well mardu can rebuild quickly after a wipe and the selective discard. I don't think it's massively advantaged either way but it can definitely grind out game 1 better depending on who gets ahead first.

from the mardu side it feels close to 50-50, maybe with mardu having a slight advantage. the mardu gameplan is much more powerful in a vacuum but if u/w topdecks terminus/baneslayer/teferei/azcanta/etc and you don't have a good follow-up the game just ends.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Jeskai Ascendancy was my secret favorite combo deck, ever.

I don't understand how this isn't running Manamorphose, though.

manamorphonse is pretty bad in decks where you're trying to assemble something complex. it makes mulligan decisions and cantrips real difficult, because if you see a one you don't know what card you're actually getting

it makes you win harder once you've resolved a few combo pieces, but that part isn't the difficult one

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
vial is just one of those cards where you need to accept some amount of risk, because the upside of having one on turn 1 is just so impactful

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I just remembered that Hallowed Moonlight is a card. Is it SB material worth considering in Modern? Stops Vial, Company, Through the Breach, Madcap Experiment, Dredge's creature suite, tokens, Chord, Eldritch Evolution etc. However, Stony Silence in most every white SB can stop Vial if need be, and then Grafdigger's Cage hits almost everything else on that list if you need the coverage.

i tried it for a while and it is not a good card. it's not actually good against dredge or vials, because they just say "cool, i'll do it next turn instead". Against all those other cards, if they do anything except cast the spell you're expecting, you get severely punished for holding up two mana and not doing anything with it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Is Mardu Pyromancer still a competitive modern deck (assuming enough practice with the deck)? I'm really only K-commands away from a non-LotV build of the deck now that I've been able to scoop up some shocklands, and since my Monday nights will finally be free in the not too distant future and modern mondays are probably my store's most attended events, I've been thinking about putting it together.

It's a fine weekly event deck but doesn't show up much in high level tournaments (although things may change with kci gone). Based on my experience with the deck, you will win exactly 50% of your matches.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1580973#paper

I've been testing this white eldrazi stompy deck a bit. I took an older white eldrazi stompy/taxes list and made adjustments that I think are better for the current meta and included tithe taker. Went 4-0 last night beating affinity, elves, UW control, and hollow one. It feels really good right now.

Tithe taker is insane. I've been a taxes aficionado in modern for a long time, and this is probably the best new card for that archetype in a long time. I replaced arbiter with it since I don't think arbiter is good currently, and that allowed me to cut the ghost quarters in this list for some field of ruins and clean the mana up, making the deck operate much more smoothly. There were a lot of games where tithe taker was just a better card than Thalia, and they play together extremely well. Tithe taker also ruined the affinity player because he couldn't use arcbound ravager's ability on my turn to make efficient blocks. The sideboard cataclysmic gearhulks also blew up 12 creatures across 2 games against elves, which was extremely satisfying.

Can you go over some of the other situations where Tithe Taker is strong? I've been playing the vial+path version of white eldrazi and that card looks underwhelming to me.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hollow one: sorta medium here, but was both an excellent chump blocker and good at preventing combat blowouts. Knowing they couldn't bolt a creature when I went for a double block was nice.

thanks but I don't follow this one

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

It's more that it was nice having a double chumper against fast Hollow ones and anglers, plus they play with low mana so going for a double block to kill a guy often meant they couldn't go for a bolt to blow me out. Stacks well with thalia again there.

it doesn't tax them on their combat step though...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Aw dunk :( Are you talking about Breach + Emrakul specifically, or the Snaps + UR spells + Blood Moon + Jace concept overall?

u/r phoenix is top tier atm, blue moon is playable (although some of them are cutting moons and running field of ruin instead because moon sucks right now). the combo specifically is detrimental to your win rate.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
does anyone play mono-red phoenix in modern and have any sort of sideboarding guide? mostly looking to know what cards people cut.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
feel like this company is going to be really confused when i give them a piece of paper with my contact info and work experience. better put the word "resume" on top so they know what it is

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
There's got to be a better way to get card selection than sarkhan, and the other two modes are pretty much irrelevant for you.

Yeah the chalices are pretty crucial to what the deck is doing. It's been fun though, I forgot how soul crushing prison decks can be for some people.

You're most likely right, Euro. I wasn't sure what else to try in that spot, beyond going for a 3rd Chandra, or just cutting angrath to move the 4th brutality main, or something of similar effect. I do want to find room for something like 2-3 Goblin rabblemaster or Legion Warboss for the sideboard for the decks that cut a lot of their removal against me where earlier pressure is good.

Pack Rat is a popular option for b/r moon decks.

I'd just go with 4 chandras main, it seems like everything you want from your top end.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Elyv posted:

dear 3 people who play Vintage: Are people going to be correct to play this card in Vintage

you can just play yawgmoth's bargain which has essentially the same effect only you don't fizzle out when you see a land on top of your deck

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

So, what are the chances U/W control in Modern shifts to a heavier U build which leans on Archmage's Charm and (to a slightly lesser extent) Cryptic Command?

UUU is hefty, but having the flexibility of instant speed Divination or Cancel (or stealing a giant Champion of the Parish, I guess?) in one card seems really nice.

there's a mono-blue control deck that's been showing up online, that's a starting place if you want to find a place for archmage's charm

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

Mono-R or Izzet? Mono-R is doing quite well lately.

according to u/r players i've talked to, aria is an analogue to pyromancer ascension (since both give you late game inevitability) except it works through graveyard hate.

i don't think mono red can play it, you can't cantrip half as well and if they have graveyard hate you just want to be a burn deck

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Network42 posted:

On an unrelated note, can someone explain or link a stream or something to see how these new builds of vintage dredge work? An example list here.

I feel like without narcomoebas you have to take at least an extra turn to start getting things turned on, I feel like I am missing something, please send help.

you're not wrong, it's a slower build and it's banking on opponents not being on a combo deck (or they are but can't win fast enough through a force of vigor). probably a correct meta read since there's no storm decks showing up in that tournament. also hogaak seems good at getting that turn back

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Goddamn bw tokens is a middle of the road deck. It'll never be enough to top 8 a real event, but it definitely won't finish last.

Arrested development narrator: It finished last.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Your opponent brought Grafdigger's Cage in against you

not sure what the shadow player's 75 looks like, but cage seems like an upgrade to the stubborn denials you're looking to cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
all a deck trophying tells you is that it won 5 matches in a row. doesn't mean it's optimized or the best version of its archetype.