Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

eSporks posted:

Yea, that decks mana is atrocious. It's a 2 color deck with no fetch lands. This is exactly what I mean, wizards takes the firm stance than eldrazi mana was not a 6th color, and some techno babble about how the mechanic has always existed and is nothing new. Then you see the constraints it puts on play and deck building, and it absolutely is a 6th color.
Except it's not a 6th color. Sources that make mana "of any color" do not produce colorless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mcmagic posted:

I want to just stick with Grixis for this weekend but I hate the Eldrazi matchup. Talk me out of switching...
Everything has bad matchups and if you switch to a deck you have less experience playing you will lose to your mistakes more often. Legacy is not Standard.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

C-Euro posted:

Finally finished my lovely Modern Turbofog deck, excited to (hopefully) troll my aggro-heavy meta with it next week :toot:

Anything I might have missed or matchups I haven't accounted for?
It feels like you're pretty much Leyline-or-bust against Burn and Ad Nauseam.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

kirtar posted:

Doesn't Ad Nauseam usually run at least one way to get around these types of things (e.g. Lab Maniac)?
True, but this deck folds to lightning storm too if it doesn't have a leyline. I guess what I'm saying is that the deck feels terrible in that matchup, since he asked about matchups.

Also not playing removal seems terrible.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Errant Gin Monks posted:

it wouldnt be budget per se, just no tabernacle. The card isnt worth it to me for that kind of cash.
No Tabernacle Lands is budget, that's about half the cost of the deck.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

The March Hare posted:

Some people have been running the cunning wish plan to deal with this, for whatever that's worth.
Yeah, I see these good results for the traditional Sneak/Show lists recently, but I can't bring myself to let go of the Cunning Wish plan. Traditional lists fold hard to hate, where the Wishboard is much more resilient.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

C-Euro posted:

Not as good as I had hoped but what bugs me more is that, outside of the punt R4G1, I'm not sure what I could have done differently R1 and 2. Both decks managed to go off faster than my deck, loathe as I am to use :byodood:MATCHUPS:byodood: as an excuse. The only thing I can think of in hindsight is that I probably didn't need to board out the Pacts R2. My fear was casting a Pact and having him tap down the relevant manner when I tried to pay the upkeep cost, but I think the timing works such that I can pay it off first. Other than that, any advice?
You are correct on timing for Gigadrowse. Pact trigger goes on the stack during your upkeep, he taps your lands, you float mana and pay for Pact. However, they also play Exhaustion, and that gets you because your lands just don't untap.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

L0cke17 posted:

Fair enough. I've only ever played him in vintage where he's nuts.
Yeah, it turns out recurring spells is way better when those spells can be Ancestral Recall and Time Walk.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Soul Glo posted:

I think it's only been referred to in investor calls and business reporting stuff. They don't want to worry people like you who have money in MTGO.

I think if they just make the new thing run on both Windows and Mac, they'll likely pull in plenty of new users to cover any losses from people who leave and stay gone if they don't port collections over.

I know I'd use it a lot more if I could do it on my Macbook Air instead of firing up my old pc upstairs anytime I wanted to draft.
I hear there are these newfangled phone things that all of the kids are using to play games.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I would cut Unearth and Thought Scour for Deathrite and Ponder if you want to be able to cantrip more effectively and limit RIP exposure.

Re: Venser vs Clique, what decks are you trying to resolve Venser against where Cavern matters? Don't just think about creature types; they are good against completely different types of decks.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it's mostly the sneak and show matchup, but i dunno. people play lots of weird poo poo and have countermagic.

im not cutting unearths because the only reason for me to play this deck is to cast unearth

e: vensering your own snapcasters back is kinda sweet too but having that sort of mana is probably a pipe dream
That's pretty edge case against Sneak/Show. The goal is to just put him in if they resolve Show & Tell (and hope they aren't able to do anything at instant speed if they are on Omnitell). I guess it's just not clear what the deck is trying to do at all.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

It's trying to use Unearth, Striges, and Snapcasters to play the value game and kill with Mentors. That seems pretty clear to me.
I get that, but it just seems like BGx is already better at that game plan. Unearth seems terrible since Miracles is a deck you have to worry about and their removal doesn't put your guys in the GY.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Skyl3lazer posted:

Here's the Modern pile I'm going to try out in side events at GP Richmond when I'm not in Legacy Challenges

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/636813#paper
Is the green splash for Lumbering Falls really better than just using Celestial Collonnade and more basics?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i guess i probably should have just written the drat thing up.
I'm not sure how you got this far without realizing Brainstorm is legal in Legacy.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

EvilBeard posted:

Solidarity. It uses Reset. It's monoblue, so it has FoW, Snapcaster, Flusterstorm, and is much worse without Dig Through Time.
I would recommend not doing Solidarity for this project. Giving someone an A+B combo deck or a stompy deck cold is one thing, but any Storm type combo deck is impractical to hand someone and expect them to figure out with 5 minutes of explanation.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Elyv posted:

I can think of decent decks that are blue but not black, but not the other way around. I don't play Leg much, though
RB Reanimator, Loam variants, and Elves off the top of my head. Maverick is extremely meta-dependent. Dead Guy Ale if you're willing to expand your definition of decent.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

All I'm coming up with is assorted Show and Tell decks. Non-Deathrite delver decks are super dead. X-blade decks all seem to splash black now. Elves technically has black and no blue but I'm not counting that. Just Loam, reanimator and that terrible turbo-Depths deck come to mind.
For blue but not black you pretty much have S&T (other than their uncastable Griselbrands), RUG/UR Delver, and the shambling corpse of Miracles.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

Conflagate is XXR so 1 card discarded is +2.
Yeah, it's sort of surprising that a judge would screw that up. It seems like a good 20-30% of most intro judge training materials revolve around "what is the CMC now" type questions.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

AkumaHokoru posted:

because it allowed him to wasteland repeatedly and crush his opponent's mana base and is easier to recover than a crucible being a creature?
It's also not an artifact. Keep in mind that while people do have creature removal in Vintage, a huge portion of the meta revolves around the ability to kill artifacts.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

I still think there's no deck that wants the first Opt before the 4th Serum Visions but there are decks that want it before Sleight of Hand.
I assume that UW control might if it’s not a tap out deck. UWR flash feels like it wants Opt but I haven’t had a chance to play Modern to check.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Oh and Steve--it looks like RUG Delver might be OK after all. Really weird to see it without Goyfs, though.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Smashing Link posted:

Anyone else excited we may see a new Legacy deck emerge tanks to Bloody Sun?
That seems unlikely.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Hypothetically speaking, if I rolled in my LGS for their Legacy night, how bad would I get stomped running this?
You would get stomped so bad.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I know Mox Monkey is sort of a questionable card
Mox Monkey is Gorilla Shaman.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Delver/pyro is pretty solid and doesn’t have much cost if you already have an UR mana base.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

BabyRyoga posted:

Sup, rate this deck I made back in the mid 90s. It would always place highly in local comic store tourneys for a year or two. How could I improve it by substituting in cards that were printed in the last 20+ years, without straying too much?

It's called Kird Rape
Bad name, bad deck. 93-94/Old School has a Naya Zoo deck but it’s obviously a major change.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
I’m looking forward to RUG Delver being good again.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

I still think RUG is going to be worse than Grixis. Maybe cutting Goyfs and adding Pyros? I had a ton of success with that build in the Treasure Cruise days.
I think the loss of Probe synergy hurts Pyro-centric Grixis builds quite a bit (from both the free cantrip and Therapy angles). What do you think makes Grixis great right now?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yes. Also vialing in things like TKS or tidehollow sculler.
Or Vendilion Clique, or Stifle the trigger.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

suicidesteve posted:

Stifle the fetch they need to cast the spell imo.
I tell people Lightning Bolt is my favorite card, but I think it’s actually Stifle. My all time favorite play was killing a particularly smug Miracles player with Goyfs after Stifle his Rest In Peace ETB.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

jassi007 posted:

The judge pulled me aside afterward and thanked me for taking ownership of the mistake and taking the game loss. I was relieved he saw it that way. I hung around the store because my friend made top 8, and as I sat there I thought hard about talking to the judge again. My actions while truly the actions of an idiot, but from a slight change of intent could be cheating. I think this is why cheating is, perhaps not rampant, but hard to catch in Magic. People are probably too forgiving. The judge should have honestly at least given me a warning and Game Loss, and when I hosed the match slip up he probably should have DQ'd me last round or not. The only difference between a smooth cheater and an idiot is intent. I hosed up, and did what I could to make it right. But someone caught cheating would probably do something similar. I ultimately did not go tell the judge he should have punished me harder because I could have been an intentional cheater because I'd rather he and the store owner think of my as an idiot who will own up to his blunders than view me as someone who probably tried to cheat but got caught. However, I really feel that he should have taken further actions for the good of the game overall. He let me off too lightly.
So, there are a few things here. First, you’ll never get a Warning and a Game Loss for the same penalty—it’s a one or the other deal. Second, if you weren’t cheating, there’s no DQ here. Judges have a lot of latitude on determining cheating, but it sounds like they made the right call here. Third, filling out a match slip wrong isn’t a penalty on its own—if you were doing it on purpose that would be cheating, but if you’re just dumb then we ask you and your opponent to be more careful next time.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
Just to put it out there, FtMGS Warnings don’t upgrade. They are only there to assist investigations if someone has a pattern of only failing to maintain when it benefits them-aka cheating.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

C-Euro posted:

Huh, maybe that's why everyone called odds last night (still rolled even all three matches though :cool:)
Don’t listen to them. Any number of fair even-sided dice will give an equal even/odd distribution—it’s the parity function. (even+even=even, even+odd=odd, odd+even=odd, odd+odd=even)

standard.deviant fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 28, 2018

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Elmon posted:

I think $8 a pack. Plus use the new battlebond boxes. And you can have 16 pack boxes and an msrp equal to standard boxes.
That’s a neat math trick, but you need 24 packs to draft.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

TheKingofSprings posted:

Playing in a tournament Saturday, don't have much time to test but I want to play UW Control so I'm looking at this decklist right now and I'd like to discuss it: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=19977&d=329531&f=MO

At first glance it seems heavily geared towards grindier games and the mirror. I wonder if the Ancestrals are better served being additional removal right now, I really don't want to just durdle and die.
I'm a little bit curious as to why people play Oust over Condemn in this deck. Is 3 life and sorcery speed better than more life and requires attacking but works at instant speed? It doesn't deal with mana dorks very well, but letting you play at instant speed seems like it might be worth it. Why am I dumb?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Lawnie posted:

I lost to a Gaea’s Revenge in two consecutive games of modern against a terrible rg tamp brew, with an assassin’s trophy in hand both games. I asked for a judge to clarify and three people including one off-duty judge were all wrong re: multicolored cards. Next time I’m asking to look up weird cards for their oracle text.
I don’t understand this. The relevant part of the text is the same on Oracle and the printed cards. Assassin’s Trophy is green, so I don’t get what the confusion was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Lawnie posted:

I wasn’t sure if it was an exclusive or inclusive rule, if that makes sense. Does it mean only green, or must include green? I guess that might sound stupid but I don’t think it’s the dumbest thing to be confused about. I mean, I asked “can I target this with assassin’s trophy” and was told “no.”
I suppose anyone can get a ruling wrong at any point, but this is the first Gatherer ruling on Gaea’s Revenge: “If a spell is one or more colors, and one of those colors is green, that spell can target Gaea's Revenge.
2015-06-22, Gatherer Rulings”