Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So I'd like to talk about a decklist today. Specifically, this decklist: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/420679#online

I'm mainly interested in sideboard choices and the Jund matchup. Why run Linvala in the board when Pod isn't a card anymore? For the mirror/Infect? What can this deck do to not get pasted by Jund? What decks are Eidolon and Teeg being brought in against (Eidolon especially, isn't Storm dead)? Is the deck really so reliant on the combo that Twisted Image is a good sideboard card for Spellskite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

little munchkin posted:

Linvala is also good against Bant Eldrazi and affinity.

Eidolon is good against Ad Nauseam as well. With Pridemages to answer Phyrexian Unlife, you can keep them off the combo completely.

Usually against Jund the Company/Chord decks sideboard out as many mana dorks as possible. You're not going to combo off agianst jund and those cards are really bad in a game that's about attrition or topdecking. You replace them with anything in your board that you think might be more relevant than a 0-power creature.

I'm wondering about 2 Path in place of Twisted Image, it still deals with Spellskite, is more relevant in the Jund matchup and it helps for Infect.

E: Or is dealing with dorks that important?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pod is my favorite card and the epitome of Starcraft Magic, imo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So is Dredge in Modern a real deck now or is it overhyped nonsense?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

It's yet another "draw your sideboard card or you probably lose" deck that the format is already full of except it also randomly loses to itself a lot.

What makes it lose to itself? The lack of Bridge and a reliable sac outlet?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

A. It will never be good.

2. Why would it drop the card it can use to cast Force of Will and still get value out of it?

Why would it need to drop it?

Having more copies of Misthollow isn't necessarily bad, and it allows you to follow a Baleful Strix directly into it on turn 3, or curve a dork into strix into it turn 2.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

What happens if you activate a token copy of Chaos Orb?

Are you allowed to represent your tokens with one of those oversized commander cards?

Use your Tibalt Body Pillow for a token.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

always be closing posted:

Any thoughts on this hoogland spirits brew? Looks pretty cool.

As long as you're all in on spirits, isn't Long-Forgotten Gohei something to strongly consider vs. Favourable Winds?

What about that W/U spell land that exiles creatures to make spirits? Mutavault really doesn't seem that great in a deck with only 4 lords and those lords can't even grant evasion.

Which I guess brings me to the other point; what ultimately makes this worth playing over Merfolk? You trade more power for evasion and some protection, but there doesn't seem to be a way to provide overwhelming board presence and your only source of card advantage is Spell Queller, is it not? Is the deck basically drop Captain then Image, or bust?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

I played a homebrewed UW Spirits list at Modern last night and ended up going 2-1, taking down 2-0s against Jund and Abzan Company while getting hosed by Bushwhacker Zoo. It basically feels like a worse version of UR Delver or Faeries that trades speed and consistently good cards for tricky interactions.

If I put more money into the list the first things I'd add would be Celestial Colonnade and Cavern of Souls, but so far the surprise standout was Moorland Haunt. Turns out being able to turn used cards into 1/1 flying tokens for 3 mana is a pretty loving big deal in a topdeck war.

Moorland Haunt seems like the reason to use Spirits over any other tribal deck, that land is incredible gas as long as you have a way to reliably fuel it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

uninverted posted:

Has anyone here had experience with the bant retreat deck that got 8th & 9th at Baltimore? It looks rad, like abzan company with a less consistent combo but a better fair game.

I have some experience with it, it is a really fun deck to play.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What do you both think of Grim Flayer in the deck?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=13441&d=278913&f=MO

For all those people doing some Spirit speculation

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 8, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

So what's the mana base look like in Modern Naya Burn without Arid Mesas and Scalding Tarns? Does the deck work with the Khans fetches that are much more affordable?

Works just fine with Khans fetches, if you want to play in a big tournament you'll probably want to borrow the other 4 fetches though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13511&d=279459&f=MO

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Knightfall seems like a really well positioned deck in Modern right now, between Tron and most control decks being a bit mediocre.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilBeard posted:

Here's a little thought exercise. We're in my end step. My opponent has a Thespian's Stage, two Lotus Petals, a Snow Covered Forest. I have 3 Islands. My hand is Split Decision, Cunning Wish, Omniscience, Fact or Fiction, Emrakul. My opponent casts Crop Rotation, sacrificing his Forest. How do you not lose?

Here is my decklist. Relevant information: I sideboarded out 3 Spell Pierce for the Young Pyromancers in this game.

E: Guess I'll need to think more on this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure the answer is split decision to copy crop rotation, getting ancient tomb. Then cunning wish for pact of negation. You're cold to them naturally drawing a depths in the next two turns, or if they have wasteland in hand, but after that you're not in bad shape.

Doesn't that leave you a mana short on your next upkeep?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

does starfield of nyx cause enchantments to trigger creature ETB effects?

It should, yeah.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

That's a funny way to spell black-red reanimator.

I've been out of the legacy loop for a while, what's this deck do differently to justify the red and is it really better than UB Reanimator?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Do you have an updated list? Is it playing Amalgams?

Why would it, Amalgams are glacially slow.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Burn's that bad for you board Worship. You don't deal that much damage to yourself, your creatures are tough to kill and they aren't boarding in Destructive Revelry against you.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I have landed a Worship on one life against Affinity and Burn more than once and it feels a lot like cheating

E: Eldrazi, Suicide Zoo and Merfolk all hate this one weird trick to piss off an aggro player too!!

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 19, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah this is also a thing I thought of but forgot to say.

Affinity still has Inkmoth. It's probably worth bringing in against all the random stupid Valakut decks too. Get 2 Drogskol Captains and they almost can't win.

They do, but if I have a KotR active it generally doesn't matter to me, I'll have at least two Quarters waiting in my deck or already active waiting for them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

You've sold me on Worship at the very least. I wonder if that means I leave in the Serum Visions to look for it.

Visions is too slow and actively works against you if they have an Eidolon out. As long as you have something more useful you could be doing turn 1 (Mausoleum Wanderer or Pathing their Guide comes to mind), I would board it out for something more effective unless you have some real stinkers against them game 1

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Grim Flayer is very legacy playable.

In what?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Smdh at these fools playing deadguy ale

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly Modern is looking pretty darn solid right now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What are Modern Tezzerator's main weaknesses right now? Did getting access to 4 of a really solid removal spell change their fortunes any?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

uninverted posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/553522#paper

Abzan company with Saffi Eriksdottir + Renegade Rallier got 2nd at the modern classic this weekend. It looks like they're using it to get infinite scries with viscera seer. No tron in the top 16 is surprising.

EDIT: Actually it gets infinite bolsters too if you have Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit out.

So just put a million triggers on the stack and then stop doing the combo?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The math roughly works out to shaving a land every two cantrips so as long as he's not running like 4 it's probably fine?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is Moorland Haunt just not worth running as a land in that deck?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

agreed, the joke was suggesting it to a brand new legacy player

e: i'd play it except that I really want to jam some games with Walking Ballista Food Chain

I wish to learn more about this

Do you play Trinket Mage to fetch the Ballista?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

More dumb cards I wish had a home in Modern:

Progenitus
Thornling
Akroma, Angel of Wrath
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur

Akroma is a fringe card in some flicker decks I think

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tim Raines IRL posted:

can I get some feedback on this probably awful list I cribbed together? It's basically "Cards I own 4c gifts (with some credit to SaffronOlive for steering)". I'm not looking to make anything hyper competitive, I actually hate modern but I don't have access to paper legacy anymore so I'm just looking for a way to have some fun at FNM and resolve the occasional titan.

I'm guessing you have no access to Lingering Souls, Lili, or Elesh Norn?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Personally I wouldn't be maindecking Wrath with 8 manadorks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Do Death's Shadow decks play Dark Confidant? That always seemed like a very Suicide Black card to me but maybe it's too slow.

Death's Shadow decks run 4 copies of a self Lava Axe maindeck, as good a card as Bob is there's just a really good chance you end up finishing yourself off.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Taking Jund, Eldrazi Tron, and Bant Company to an FNM this week, how hosed are those decks if they run into Death's Shadow?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
When your deck dies to both Burn and Tron you are in a bad place in the meta

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Caleb was playing an Esper build a few weeks ago. White seems a lot worse than blue or red though. You do get Lingering Souls though, which took a few games the other builds wouldn't have won.

Isn't Jund souls splashing White for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If you want to play her you want to at least be running Hierarchs alongside so she can flip something even at the lowest mode.