Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The green/white eldrazi list is actually superior to the mono-whit eone just because brushland is a triland effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Elyv posted:

I've never seen GW Eldrazi in Vintage, but I don't follow the format closely. Got a list?

Its on the Mana Drain but TMD is down right now. Its under the eldrazi thread.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Elyv posted:

I've never seen GW Eldrazi in Vintage, but I don't follow the format closely. Got a list?

http://www.themanadrain.com/topic/350/white-eldrazi/4

For gw eldrazi. The main takeaway is bushland and horizon canopy are insane, and Noble hierarch pushes you over the top in the mirror, allowing you to push through damage with exalted triggers and wasteland more without colorscrewing yourself. YMMV of course, but it looks great to me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

They're just lucky I had a wedding and couldn't bring the ultimate in anti-Eldrazi technology

Moat Stompy? I dont think that deck can beat turn 1 moat.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Man, if only there were a deck that played both of these...

:twisted:

:getin:

Speaking of moats and rest in peaces, I might be picking up the pieces for enchantress soon. That's gonna be all sorts of fun.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Let's talk about the objectively best eternal format, which is Pauper

What is everyone doing in pauper? I'm not particularly revolutionary and have been trying out elvish vanguard, shaving a few visionaries and sometimes a priest of titania. It has been Pretty Good but just making a big idiot isn't that interesting.

i've also tried making UG Canadian Threshold work, and as sweet of a card as Temporal Spring is, it is not going well

I'm running a grixis or 4 color (depending on the win con I want) teachings/skred control list. I really really like curse of the bloody tome vs the peregrine Drake list in particular, since they can't combo you if you mill their 1 guy that mills. Also it's just sweet in general. If I'm playing 4 color, it's for sprout spawning to have a win con I can tutor for. Either way, I think I want to be playing a boatload of removal, some crypt incursions and winning with jaces erasure or curse of the bloody tome.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

i need a list immediately

i'm assuming it shaves some countermagic for bolts and skreds?

This is where I'm at currently. Considerations for changes Im thinking now: 1 more mill card, and another crypt incursion, or blockers somewhere. When I was playing sprout spawning (which I cut because dispel is too common nowadays to rely on it) it was great for making blockers, but this list leans heavily on removal then eventually resolving a crypt incursion halfway through milling the opponents deck to stay alive. its weak to mono-black, but is otherwise decent in most matchups.

4 Evolving Wilds
3 Izzet Boilerworks
8 Snow-Covered Island
2 Snow-Covered Mountain
2 Snow-Covered Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Brainstorm
1 Chainer's Edict
4 Counterspell
1 Crypt Incursion
2 Curse of the Bloody Tome
1 Diabolic Edict
2 Dispel
1 Echoing Truth
1 Electrickery
1 Jace's Erasure
3 Lightning Bolt
1 Logic Knot
3 Mana Leak
2 Mystical Teachings
1 Pyroblast
2 Skred
2 Staggershock
1 Terminate

Sideboard:

1 Circle of Protection: Red
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Dispel
1 Electrickery
1 Hydroblast
1 Muddle the Mixture
2 Pyroblast
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Serene Heart
2 Shattering Pulse
1 Skred
1 Snow-Covered Plains

edit: I also have been going back and forth on muddle the mixture in the main. I may go for 1-3 drift of phantasms for decent blockers and being able to tutor for crypt incursion.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 22, 2016

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

the Lava Man is fine if you go the bauble/probe/lava spike/mutagenic growth plan and just try and hit people in the face. if you're on that plan you probably shave a few lands and don't mess around with things like Pia and Kirin

e:
Paul Rietzl has unveiled a delight of a deck in the VSL:

//Creatures
1 Blightsteel Colossus
1 Trinket Mage
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Consecrated Sphinx

//Jace the Mind Sculptors
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Spells
1 Tinker
1 Time Walk
4 Force of Will
3 Mana Drain
3 Mental Misstep
2 Flusterstorm
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Brainstorm
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Repeal
1 Spell Pierce
1 Spell Snare

//Artifacts
3 Null Rod
1 Black Lotus
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Sol Ring
1 Chalice of the Void
1 Mana Crypt

//Enchantments
3 Back to Basics

//Lands
9 Island
4 Wasteland
2 Polluted Delta
1 Strip Mine
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Flooded Strand
1 Misty Rainforest

//Sideboard
1 Flusterstorm
2 Annul
2 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Mindbreak Trap
2 Dismember
1 Propaganda
1 Hurkyl's Recall
1 Arcane Laboratory
1 Ravenous Trap

So, this deck is kind of a mash of the two things I wanted to do in Vintage. I wanted to play 4 wastelands, a strip mine, and a crucible. That leaves me with landstill or some shops variant. the other thing I want to do is play a 3 mana enchantment that hoses most lands in the format. This meant Blue Moon, but Paul has remembered that Back to Basics is a card that exists.

I think if I played this, I would be inclined to make it UR, just to have better ways of interacting with resolved permanents. So, probably some Dork Fandangos and Sudden Shocks and an EE main, pyroblasts, sulfur elemental, probably a hammer mage and other red artifact hate in the board. People played three color stoneblade decks with back to basics in it, so there has to be a way to make that manabase work. Maybe two Volcs and a mountain? maybe switch that around? One thing I know I am keeping around is Propaganda. holy poo poo is that hot against the Eldrazi manabase

I think in the current meta, white is a better splash than red. Yes, you dont get pyroblast, but swords/path and disenchant are way better right now than the direct damage spells. If you do switch it up, you need min 6 fetches, maybe 8. two basics of your splash color, and 1 dual to fetch with the off-color fetch.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Everything you are saying makes sense, except that I cannot use Plains to cast a Hammer Mage

Luckily in their infinite wisdom, and in anticipation of this exact problem, WotC has produced a magical card to circumvent this issue entirely.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Seems like it needs containment priest main. Legacy is slow enough that the interaction between priest and displacer might be actually really good, rather than just a byproduct of maindeck oath hate like the vintage version has. And last I checked, sneak and show was still a thing, right?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Somebody talk to me about B/W Death and Taxes. I play ANT almost exclusively right now and have always thought building a non-combo backup deck wouldn't be a bad idea. I've seen a few lists around where they basically bring in Scrublands, discard, and Dark Confidants and cut some of the extra fat on the traditional mono white version. Just trying to see the pros and cons with the black splash, beyond the obvious. Here's a list similar to what I've seen. Seems like the mana-base is worse and it's harder to grind with added life loss due to Bob and fetches?

3 Flooded Strand
3 Karakas
4 Rishadan Port
4 Scrubland
2 Plains
4 Wasteland
3 Windswept Heath

4 Dark Confidant
4 Flickerwisp
4 Mother of Runes
1 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Serra Avenger
4 Stoneforge Mystic
4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Thoughtseize
1 Batterskull
1 Sword of Fire and Ice
1 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Æther Vial

SB

1 Bitterblossom
1 Circle of Protection: Red
2 Containment Priest
1 Enlightened Tutor
2 Ethersworn Canonist
2 Orzhov Pontiff
1 Pithing Needle
2 Rest in Peace
1 Seal of Cleansing
1 Thoughtseize
1 Vindicate
What you're looking for is a deck called 'deadguy ale' and it hasn't been good since 2012. Sadly. Basically cut the flickerwisps and ports and reviker, play tidehollow scullers, and as many Liliana of the veil as your wallet allows.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I have some $ for a new legacy deck. do i go for the better deck and build infect, or should i put together the daretti stax list I've been playing on xmage? it's not great but it keeps your opponent from playing magic at all.

Never not Daretti Stax. Its one of the most fun decks in the format that has the chance to be good.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I want to just stick with Grixis for this weekend but I hate the Eldrazi matchup. Talk me out of switching...

Just play max strixes and hope to be lucky.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I have a dilemna. Should I register 4x moat for an upcoming legacy tournament, or 4x chains of mephistopheles? Or try to brew something with both.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I dont own tabernacle :saddowns:

I think I'm gonna go with 4 plateaus and play blood moon, stompy lands/chrome mox/mox diamond, moats, and a smattering of zany angels, elspeths and nahiris. And 1 emrakul because why not at that point.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

DarkRider09 posted:

My LGS has been getting more into legacy recently, so I finally pulled the trigger on a set of Gaea's Cradle after the price settled back down a bit. Elves has always been my favorite tribe so getting to play an insanely powerful version of the deck is great. Now it's a matter of tweaking the sideboard for the local meta. Luckily there's only 1 guy on miracles in the store.

Just as an aside, if you are having trouble with miracles Wren's Run Packmaster is a great card for the matchup. Not only does it hide an elf away from terminus, you can flood the board without casting more spells. Also null rod, reclamation sage, and gaddock teeg are your friends from the board.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Star Man posted:

I am going to try it in Modern and retreive Iona or Elesh Norn. Though I have to learn which color to name against certain matchups.

Easy, just play mirror gallery, and play 4 Ionas, and some clones. Name every color and just pray they're not running all is dust.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Before terminus there was no viable control deck though. Without it there would only be aggro-control and combo left.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Yeah, its been updated to include mentor, and pyromancer, and all sorts of other things such as lab man doomsday.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

Thanks guys; thats the way I was leaning. I tend to shy away from Modern Infect because its lacking in interaction compared to Jund; so while it's effective, it's not the most engaging. Legacy infect just about entirely fixes this.

:homebrew:

Definitely infect because blue lands and forces are the most important cards to own.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but the only cards in Legacy infect that are played in anything else are Forces and Trops...

Dazes and cantrips too. It's got way more crossover with other decks than D&t which only has wasteland, stoneforge, and containment priest.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mehall posted:

This is what I'm looking to move into, from my current version of Nic Fit, since I feel like I can lose some of the midrange easy-wins as I feel I'm strong enough against the aggro decks I'm facing.
Combo is basically a wash for this deck, I hope they don't have it, and hope I draw some hate post-SB, so trying to find where i can gain against the control decks has been key, and this deck plays super sweet.

Thoughts?
(Other than "replace your temple garden with a savannah, and get more ABU duals!")

Cut the too cute jank like Yosei, play max hymns. Hymn will give you more game vs most combo and control decks, especially since you also have cabal therapies.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I bought the last cards for UW Spirits yesterday. Now I just need everything to show up in the mail.

Including the foil Rattlechains from Russia. :negative:

Good man.

I'm trying out a 5 color Pyromancer list with Leovold and new Thalia. It seems marginally promising. Not sure it's actually good (it isn't) but it's really really fun. After 3 years of miracles straight I'm getting bored of counterbalance.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

It's the first halfway competitive deck I've ever actually wanted to play in modern so hopefully it turns out to be real. Is there any kind of concensus on UW vs. Bant? UW seems like the much more common build.

I dont know poo poo about modern. I usually just play mill when I have to play it. I stole the list from some other goon in here I think, or maybe some GP or something? I was most excited about russian cards. Theyre so pretty

Errant Gin Monks posted:

When I get tired of miracles I switch to Lands.

Make a 20/20... Attack you for 20 is just different enough to be cathartic.

I sold my depths a while back. I didnt see myself ever actually making marit lage again. I mostly just want to be casting young pyromancer when Im not on terminus and co. Maybe I should put Junk back together though. Casting knight of the reliquary again seems sweet.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I'm hoping to be able to get to Champs in October so I can sell all of my other stuff and hopefully find most of what I'm missing. Anyone else going?

Sweet cards! I was going to go to champs, but Im spending the money on a trip with my fiance instead. Especially since I could only borrow dredge.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

X-post from the main thread: Zendikar Expeditions concept becoming re-occurring feature in future blocks, re-named "Masterpieces" and themed specifically for that block. In case your decks weren't blinged out enough.

Kaladesh Inventions spoiler, not that Aether Revolt will have its own set similar to BFZ/OGW so don't panic that only 3/5 Swords are here.

If they weren't foil some of them are almost pretty. But foils are gross.

I'd much rather the expeditions instead of being old cards in new borders be new cards in old borders. That would make then actually match the typical eternal players collection .

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Beggars can't be choosers

Heh, my friend offered me the choice. He has the cards for every variant, including the one that boards into depths combo.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

I haven't had a chance to play that yet with the funky SB. We played a proxy league for a bit and I loved regular dredge. I just can't get my hands on Bazaars for Eternal Weekend.

It's not good. The depths sideboard plan. Just play whatever Sullivan brophy is playing, because his list is almost certainly correct.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the depth sideboard owns actually since it dodges all of their hate

I'm aware of that, but it's often too slow to actually win a goldfish vs any reasonable vintage hand.

I much prefer the 15 card sideboard of anti-hate you get to bring in whatever directly counters their plan.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

i prefer to not cast spells when playing dredge and using my draw 2 every turn to find what i need

though i wouldn't play the Dark depths version in non-pitch dredge since the therapies and countermagic give you a bunch of time. vengeful pharaoh is also great since it is still effective under the most common hate, Cage

So what you're saying is you would rather not cast spells in dredge, but you would only play depths in the dredge list that casts the most spells?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

I'm not familiar with the pitch version.

It is worse, in general in my opinion. It has 4 force 4 misstep 4 mind break trap and usually prized amalgam to add more blue to the deck. It generally eschews dread return and the worse dredgers to make room. It's slightly less consistent to have some disruption.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

current mission is to cut elfball lands to 75 cards with 3x eldritch evolution, maindeck taiga, 2x trop, Leovold, Magus of the moon, KoTR, Titania.

This sounds amazing, do you have a list posted somewhere?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So the new 3 mana bw1 adviser hatebear looks super sweet for vintage. The more recent sets have really been hitting it out of the park with disruptive dudes.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Anyone else going to EW?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Just kiss already I can't handle the suspense!

Vintage champs in a few weeks. I think all I can afford is unpowered Eldrazi but if I could find bazaars I'd play dredge in a heartbeat.

Unpowered eldrazi is great though! Turns out my friend loaning me dredge is getting all foreign cards he was missing for the list to loan me. So I get to not only borrow dredge, I get pimped dredge! Also I'm playing 5 color Pyromancer in legacy. It's super fun.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

It's doing pretty great in our mini lunchtime gauntlet against everything but oath. I just really want to play Dredge :(

Yeah... Dredge is pretty fun. It's not magic, but at least the rounds will be over fast.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Dunno when exactly when they announced it, but the VIP playmat for EW is Library. And it looks gorgeous. And you can get it signed there by the artist. Thats strongly worth considering for $60. You also get a bunch of other junk, but the playmat is what matters.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Buy Power.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Man, vintage top 8 had some real drama going on this morning. The eventual winner got deck-checked for 20 minutes, was told 2 of his cards (crucible and sol ring) were clearly marked (the only foils in his deck, single sleeved and very curved)had to replace only one of them immediately (the other had to be replaced after the match, which makes little sense if it really was marked) and got no penalty for it. Did get a warning for insufficient randomization though for other reasons we were told. Many people around were quite :mad: about this both ways. Most everyone but his team were mad that he got off completely scot-free for something so seemingly serious, while his team seemed very mad that anyone would dare impugn his honor that way. Apparently his team (vintage magic) have a reputation for being savage cheaters at other events in the past, which made the whole situation that much more charged and tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

finally, pauper can return to its rightful place as the best eternal format:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/pauper-banned-list-change-2016-11-03

hail satan

Yeah. Drake was boring to both play and play against. Plus it was just so resilient. Can finally get back to playing 4-5 color control!