Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I did it. It felt great. Nothing like selling an UNL U Sea you spent $180 on for $400.

Even better my seas were 110 when I got them :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

It (Blood Sun) has potential in modern to make the ravnica bouncelands just etb tapped sol lands. So perhaps some sort of primeval titan/amulet deck would benefit from this as well, with its hosing of fetches being incidental to its playability

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 6, 2018

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Any UW control players here given any thought into changes in the deck now that jtms is unbanned? I'm almost certainly cutting the single Jace AoT for one, and I'd been messing around with the Ojutai version but that card is always just a win-more so I'm going to cut it for a 2nd jtms. I think two is probably the right number to start. Not sure if the rest of the deck changes composition as a result of including jtms though, or if it's still on the same plan of stall until t4 and wrath. I don't know if the deck wants to start playing mana leak again to improve odds of landing a safe jtms but I doubt it.

Alternatively, people are discussing modern UW miracles? Anyone seen testing of that to indicate if it's better than normal UW draw-go?

I think if you're playing terminus you start with 3 jtms, maybe 4 and 2-3 search for azcanta bare minimum for manipulation. The only reason terminus was bad is you couldn't put it back. So you want to maximize your ability to do so. Being able to 1 Mana wrath on your turn and hold up removal/counters is gonna be really really strong.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I'm debating selling off more legacy cards since I barely have time to play anymore. I want to keep 1 deck still intact to play, but it feels like a huge waste of money to keep all of these cards without actually playing them. It's between miracles or Czech pile which I want to keep. Ive played a lot of both now, but I played pre-ban miracles much more. Downside to keeping Czech pile is I only have 2 underground seas so the manabase always feels like a slight compromise. Anyone have any thoughts on what would be better to keep?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Yeah if I ever get the chance to play Magic again I'll have Swans completely built by the end of this week save for the SB Glorious End (and really I'm just too lazy to go to the store in town and get a copy out of the bulk binder).

Flash poll for the non-rotating deck-havers: what is your longest-active deck, both currently-active and all-time (even if you've since taken it apart)? I've had some form of Mill built in Modern since I got back into the game in 2013, it's rarely if ever been the best deck in the room but I've had the most success with it, and the most fun even when it's not playing so well. Once or twice a year I contemplate selling off my collection and just keeping that deck and stockpiling other potential Mill cards but then I realize that any competitive events and my own deck ADD require me to have a "real" deck available as well.

After that I had Titan Breach built for almost two years, I kind of regret talking it apart but it got very same-y after a while and stopped putting up results. Oh well.

I had miracles together from 2012?ish til the top banning. I suppose it's still a good deck now. I actually still have it together in it's pre-ban form in a deckbox because I haven't played legacy since.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The March Hare posted:

Solidarity is the best deck. Also: unban dig through time.

I am only short resets for this. But I cant justify buying that much value of garbage cards.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Purphoros has stolen me a few games; last night I had someone bolt a nest with him out, clearly not thinking about the consequences. Chandra is really strong here, both because the card is stupid in general and because in a pinch it can deal 4 to a nest. Obviously it's an expensive card, but I've been running 3 in otherwise stock Ponza lists because that's how good it's been.

In other spicy news, one of my friends just took #18 out of ~240 at a regionals with this "Naya Ladies" list:

I just finished building it because I only needed ~$20 in cards to do so, and running 3 Ice Age Fiery Justice in a modern 75 is something I need.

Its not quite as good in modern as in legacy with swords to plowshares, but Kavu Predator with Grove and Fiery justice is hilarious and good in a bad way.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Double-post to say that my LGS added Legacy night to its rotation of Friday events a while back, but I just learned that it is :siren:full proxy:siren: Legacy and now I feel obligated to put something together. If money is no object, which Legacy deck strikes the best balance between "doesn't take a ton of practice to learn" and "leads to fun and interesting games"?

Solidarity. You just play islands until they swing for lethal, then win in response.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Real card top, current generation of Chinese counterfeits bottom.

These are the best fakes I've ever seen. The texture is very slightly too glossy, but I think that would wear off with a bunch of riffle shuffling. The title font is not perfect, and that's the biggest tell: rosette looks good to me, we're doing black on top now, light test result is convincing. Tearing these apart, the core looks like the core of a real card. There's no way these would be noticeable in sleeves.

This is gen7 from this particular criminal counterfeiter. The earlier generations were basically nice proxies, but the tech has improved a lot, and at this rate I'm going to be surprised if we don't start seeing cards that I cannot differentiate anymore.

(Note: my personal code of conduct is that I'll never sell/trade/give these away, obviously never use them in sanctioned play, and I'm also not going to talk about where they come from except to say that it's trivial to find). I'm taking these into my LGS with a printout of that zoom so local guys know what's up, after that they're going into a proxy cube.

Those are looking really good. I've debated buying cheap counterfits to put into edh lists to take to conventions so I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars in my pocket just to play with friends.

At the same time, I'm worried that eventually my cards will be valueless because you can't tell the difference.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I haven't played sanctioned legacy in 14 months and I'm pretty tempted to liquidate everything and rebuild in proxies.

If I do it with these, though, I will probably get a permanent-ink PROXY stamp to deface each card with in permanent ink, because I don't want someone to steal these and then dump them on the market proper.

Agree that carrying around 5+ digits in cardboard at conventions full of randos is a bad feeling.

Same. I haven't played legacy for 13 months. I.would probably keep URW poo poo and sell the rest. I have done 5 proxy vintage events though. That's where the real fun is for me now.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

GOOSE IS LOOSE

Sleeving up RUG Delver tomorrow

:getin:

I'm sad I sold goyfs now. I wonder if there's sufficient replacements to still play thresh without it. Maybe werebears :getin:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

RUG Delver lacks the resources to take advantage of Pyromancer. RUG has a stronger mana denial suite than Grixis and mana denial is going to be very powerful without DRS bolstering everybody's mana bases. Maybe Mandrills can see play now given that TNN will be worse and there will be less delve threats.

This. Thresh is designed to operate on 2 lands, and pyromancer wants you to put 3-4 in at before playing it. It puts you in a really awkward spot in terms of requirements on your mana.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

I don't see why it is. It's fine to call Jeskai Control just a Control deck instead of a Control deck with some burn elements, it's also fine to call KCI a Combo deck rather than a Combo deck with some control elements, it's perfectly fine to also call Humans and Spirits Aggro decks.

Its probably because some people associate aggro decks with new players and view it as a pejorative. They cant take their e-honor being besmirched by changing the name of the deck they play. I also dont know whats wrong with calling them tempo decks either, since that's basically what they are.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

So my buddy and I sleeved up some sorta jank tonight.

Standstill on his end, and Planeswalker Nic Fit on my side.

Holy moly I won't say either deck is good but it was quite possibly the most fun I've had playing magic since middle school

Did you play Eureka?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

Miracles is so fuckin fun right now

Is miracles back to good again? I haven't touched legacy at all really since the top ban.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Yes. 2nd highest meta share on goldfish @ 8%, 8% on mtgtop8, frequently showing up in paper T8s.

What did it's share peak at right before the top ban, 25% or something dumb? 8% seems fine to me, 25 is not.

It was maybe low 20s? I kinda ragequit the format after the ban though. Too long playing it even before it became super popular. It just seemed like I had wasted so much time learning to play quickly and well for them to just delete it as it was.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

I'm on an AK build. It's just so much smoother than predict/portent.

Generally speaking:
3 Terminus / 1 Verdict
2 Jace (sometimes 3) / 1 Teferi
2 - 3 Mentor
2 Back to Basics (main; 1x side)
No counterbalance main (2x side)

Deck runs incredibly smooth and performs great. It's a bit of an oddball build but I love it.
I waffle over running the red splash because I have sweet beta Volcs but I personally feel that UW is a little better right now.

Yeah its real good. Back to Basics is great; and Accumulated Knowledge is a turbocharger with DRS gone.

Got a list?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Welp, I put together new miracles. The prospect of durdly AK control mirrors is the most excitement I've felt for this format in a long time.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So having played a bunch more matches with new miracles it seems like it's lost all the inevitability it used to have. Gotta play way more aggressively. I think I also want to run a keranos because it fucks with so many of the things I have a hard time with now. I'm on the UWr version with only mentor/Jace maindeck and an entreat in the board.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

The new miracles is so much air that it's unsurprising people keep trying to jam SFMs in to it.

e; I saw a sweet UW delver list that played SFM alongside daze/delver because it puts another card in your hand and brainstorms get better.

If I was gonna do SFMs I'd probably be playing maindeck cliques instead of mentor and probably the 4th snapcaster.

E: if there's ever a world for young peezy to coexist with SFM in a deck it's the miracles shell right now. That could be sweet, get slightly lower to the ground than mentor and take advantage of all the cantrips.

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 5, 2018

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

no but maybe in grixis or some of the slower urx control decks. doing something like turning your baleful strix into another pithing needle or turning your hate piece into a gurmag angler to end the game a turn sooner might be ok

Wouldn't turning it into a pithing needle do nothing since it wouldn't have gotten a trigger to name a card?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

you right. the principle still stands tho

It does look really cool. I wonder if there's a durdly combo control deck with multiple artifacts that would be decent with that. A consistent stream of chump blockers and redundant combo pieces maybe? Or maybe some sort of miracles variant that could make use of the ability.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's crazy to me that they're playing 4 cards from the most recent set.

Is there a new good miracles list? Work is lightening up and I should be able to go play this week or next but I'm about 8 months behind in my list.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Not sure the exact look of it now, but Anuraag is playing lists like these

I love how he has gotten name recognition now. I played magic with him back in college a lot and he was always a great player and genuinely nice guy.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Played new miracles today at a local tournament. It was almost as fun as old miracles. The new Narset and Teferi are amazing in the blue mirror.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

False, it's the third. Chains of Mephistopheles came before either chalice or new narset.

If I could have my own invitational card I'd just print the text of chains on a 1B 2/1 body and call it a day and it still wouldn't be enough to hurt blue any serious amount.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What nightmare pile is this?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Just lol if you don’t know what all 15k cards do without having to read them.

I still get really happy when people read my German Vendilion Clique. The name in German is Vendilion-Clique so people assume it’s the English version and get about 5 words into reading the text box before getting a really confused look on their face that never fails to make me chuckle.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

But now the companion app makes cross pod play mandatory at drafts

What the gently caress is this? Hate-drafting and knowing what's in your opponents deck are 2 key features of draft I thought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

Have you ever been in a 6 person pod and played against someone from an 8 person pod whose deck is the same archetype but better in every possible way because they saw 6 extra packs worth of cards?

Because I have, and it’s the reason I don’t play flgs drafts anymore.

Maybe I’ll come out of limited retirement at a face to face open if i scrub out of a main event

I've unfortunately avoided all in-person events since the plague hit. I've got a baby who still cant get his shots yet.