Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

jassi007 posted:

He won GP Columbus with Iegacy Infect.

poo poo yes! That was the first legacy deck I ever built and I love it to pieces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skyl3lazer posted:

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?20529-DTB-Miracle-Control&p=954705&viewfull=1#post954705

Here's a tournament report from the 2nd place miracles player at gp Prague. He talks a bit about his lines.

Lol his username is jizz???

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Holy poo poo.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

In Suicide Zoo? No. You can't be playing 2 mana creatures in this deck. I don't even play the 1 of Goyf.

On this we agree.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Built modern spirits because I already had 90% of the cards for it, and my other two decks are infect and bogles because I hate everyone.

Spirits is cool and fun, and I need tempo practice anyways. Has anybody else made it?

Any advice on side boarding against popular archetypes and matchup info and/or tips and tricks?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

woah, fortuitous.

I like this list a bit more: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=13441&d=278913&f=MO

but budget magic is alright too.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 27, 2016

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
CROSSPOSTING MODERN TOURNAMENT REPORT

Modern Spirits writeup:

Deck List:

20 LANDS

2 Cavern of Souls
1 Eiganjo Castle
4 Flooded Strand
2 Ghost Quarter
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
2 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
2 Seachrome Coast

31 CREATURES

4 Drogskol Captain
2 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
3 Phantasmal Image
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

6 INSTANTS and SORC.

4 Path to Exile
2 Spell Pierce

4 OTHER SPELLS

4 Æther Vial

SIDEBOARD

2 Dispel
1 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Kor Firewalker
2 Meddling Mage
2 Rest in Peace Runed Halo
2 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence

So I took Modern spirits to a 3K recently, after having practiced about 4 rounds total with the deck. I made some huge play mistakes that cost me some rounds, but what can you do. Here's my tournament report. Also of note, I lost every die roll.

R1: Elves Lose 1-2

G1: hey it's the tribal battle. Opponent lands an Ezuri and it's GG for me.

G2: I spell queller Ezuri, and path Archdruid, opponent makes a pile of mana and tries to Chord through Thalia, but I have a rattlechains and flash in a mausoleum wanderer for the force spike.

G3: I make a huge play mistake and it costs me the game. Basically my opponent swings me down to 3 before I stabilize, we have even boards for the most part, but I have a Geist of St Traft that's hatcheting him down. Opponent is in topdeck mode and casts a mana dork, me thinking that this would give him an extra attacker over the number of blockers I have, I spell queller it. Two turns later opponent topdecks the Shaman of the pack and I lose like a scrub having wasted my queller on a mana dork like an idiot. WELP.

R2: Bye

R3: Affinity Win 2-0

G1: My opponent keep a slightly slower hand but has the Steel overseeer, so I take the aggro plan. I start swinging in in the air and getting damage through. Finally opponent lands a vault skirge, but doesn't have the mana to equip the cranial plating. Opponent is at 14 and I swing for 7, he decides not to block, pass turn. During my opponents turn he equips the cranial plating and swings in for 7 lifelink, no blocks on my end, opponent goes to 14. During opponents end step flash in Rattlechains and Drogskol captain, untap, play another drogskol captain, swing 18, gg.

G2: I land a T2 Kataki, and it's all over.

R4: Scapeshift Lose 0-2

G1: I figure he's on Scapeshift when I see the sakura tribe elder. I see zero spell quellers, so I just try to get in there. I set up a board state where if he doesn't combo off this turn, I have exactly lethal next turn. He combo's off that turn through my mausoleum wanderer.

G2: I get the hexproof board, but it's not fast enough to race his T4 titan and active valakut. *kanye shrug*

R5: Affinity Lose 1-2 I literally throw this match away like a huge scrub.

G1: opponent has a great hand and wins, like affinity is wont to do.

G2: I drop a T2 Kataki and my opponent pretty much immediately scoops.

G3: I get a stony silence down relatively early, but I'm getting pinged in by 1/1's a lot. I get a drogskol captain down and things start to look pretty good for me because I have another one in hand and a rattlechains out. And then I make a TSN turning point misplay. My opponent casts a signal pest, and the correct move is to flash in Drogskol captain so that my board is untouchable, what I actually do is Spell Queller the Signal pest, because I am the worlds biggest idiot. Anyways my opponent gets an aether grid online and slowpings my board and me to death. Also he cheated when he activated a blinkmoth to block one of my creatures and then activated the blinkmoths ability after blocking, but I didn't notice until like an hour later.

R6: Jeskai Nahiri win 2-0

This is honestly the matchup I was hoping to play against all day. We both play at end step, and I'm better.

G1: T1 I play a mausoleum wanderer, Opponent Lightning Helixes it, I sac to Counter. T2 I play a second Mausoleum Wanderer and an aether vial, opponent throws another lightning helix out, I sac to counter. T3 at opponents end step I tap Moorland Haunt to make a spirit token. Untap move to combat, opponent rips a third lightning helix at the token (???) I rattlechains to give hexproof, punch in for 1 and pass. Opponent paths Rattlechains, okay. Next turn swing in with a token again and pass. Opponent untaps and passes, I make a spirit token during end step. I swing for 2 and my opponent snapcaster lightning helixes the token, I spell Queller it (interesting fact: that lightning helix is gone forever) swing in.

The game gets to a point where my hand is 2x spell queller, and 1x Drogskol Captain and I have 6 open mana and an aether vial at 3.

G2: I spell queller an ancestral visions because I am the worst kind of person.

R7 Grixis Win 2-1

G1: I have the aggro draw backed up with counterspells.

G2: long back and forth but he has lots of removal.

G3: I get the hexproof board and that maked removal worse.

R8 Skred win 2-1

G1: He gets that active KOTH, and has lots of removal. And he has main deck blood moons and maindeck anger of the gods. Jesus.

G2: Hexproof Board state and a selfless spirit. There is nothing you can do, make your time.

G3: I get the hexproof board state and he has a single turn to draw an anger of the gods, and doesn't.

Thoughts:

- I need more practice with this deck.
- I should find room for Runed halo (cut 1-2 meddling mages)
- Holy poo poo does this deck eat jeskai nahiri for lunch. Also Jund, also Junk. Less good against mardu though.
- I got so many compliments for even running this deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

god that masques brainstorm is loving hot

e: yo mezzanon, how many people did you gack with your spell pierces? i know i never play around that card and most people playing modern don't either

I counted at least six spells with it, and it won me at least two games.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
This just in: Pauper loving rules.

Played paper pauper and it is just sweet tits.

Got to see brainstorm into thought scour during end step, and brainstorm into crack evolving wilds during end step, which are both sweet loving plays.

I got to see a guy drop a T1 gorilla shaman versus affinity in a G3

I saw a T3 non-evoked Mulldrifter

I personally got to Momentary blink a mulldrifter in response to removal.

And I got to reality acid a million loving permanents

This format is great.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Playing legacy for the first time today. Pretty stoked.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

what are you playing and why isn't it doomsday

Played infect.

Lost to esper reanimator.

Beat eldrazi, painter stone, and food chain combo.

A+ great format for cool people.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

finish neither and build 4c Aluren

Just play infect and goblins like noted cool guy, me.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I'm glad you're considering this

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Harsh, but it was my second time out with the deck so you're probably on to something there. I've at least stopped keeping hands that don't contain any ramp :cheeky: I was also maybe a little overconfident after going an easy 2-0-1 with it last time, it's a fun deck.

I wish there was an easier way to take notes during games, I'll always sketch down a couple quick highlights and my SBing after each match but if there was an easy way to jot down my starting hands without slowing the match down and looking like a lunatic I would. Maybe just snapping a picture of them?

Write it on the opposite side of your life pad and then transfer the notes to your phone in between games/matches.

Also here's my modern FNM report from today. I was on u/w spirits (I like the utility lands and aether vial the over noble hierarch and company)

R1 vs elves: lose 0-2

G1: we both keep it iffy hands (me on a mull to 6), but he eventually draws a chord and I draw no removal :/

Sideboard: out 2x kira, in 2x meddling mage

Game 2: keep a 3 creature, 3 land, 1 aether vial hand. Opponent mulls to 5. I draw 5 land and a phantasmal image :/

R2 vs Mono Red Burn: win 2-0

G1 I vial in a Thalia in response to a shard volley because I'd seen
Death and taxes do something similar in response to a miracle trigger. But upon researching it I realize this does not work, so now I feel like an rear end in a top hat. I'm gonna tell that guy next FNM, dang.

Side out: 2x aether vial 3x phantasmal image
Side in: 2x kor, 2x spellskite, 1x meddling mage

G2: I land an early kor firewalker and counter as needed, winning game at 1.

R3 vs affinity: win 2-1

G1: I path the early steel overseer and my opponent doesn't expect rattlechIns into moorland haunt activation to kill his second overseer. I try to hold out for as long as possible with double haunt activations but never draw a path :(

Side out: 4x vial, 2x Kira. In: 2x stony silence, 2x kataki, 2x meddling mage

G2: slow starts, my opponent attacks and I flash in blockers. My first my opponent rips a blood moon out of nowhere from the side, thinking it'll gently caress him more than me, after we both have slow starts (on his T4 when I have no basics in play) in response I activate moorland haunt and then ghost quarter my moorland haunt for a basic. I then Top deck a motherfucking rattle chains for lethal.

G3: I mull to 6 but keep the best hand against affinity possible. T2 stony silence, into T3 Kataki. Then drogskol captain and rattle chains. Also out of spite I ghost quarter my opponents only mountain after he gets it off a path. A good strip mine.

R4. S jeskai nahiri win 2-0.
Win the die roll.
G1 this is literally the matchup I was born to play. Mausoleum wanderers into thali
Into rattlechains and spell queller.

Side out: 4x path, side in 2x spellskite, 2x dispel (no mages this time)

G2: sac wanderer to counter helix's, swing all the time, counter the bombs.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

pauper

The best format.

Because I can play a foiled out Acid Trip control deck!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

The March Hare posted:

I never said it wasn't the best deck, I'm just curious what you think it is holding down? Just looking at Louisville because I'm not about to do a statistical analysis of legacy finishes to figure this out but the T8 has 1 miracles deck and 5 decks that win by attacking with creatures that aren't Emrakul or Griselbrand. Are you worried that miracles is holding back burn or goblins or zoo or what? I'm just not sure creature strategies are being hosed as badly as you seem to be saying.

Didn't miracles lose to infect at a big legacy GP recently?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Did you just mind game a sucka?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Well now that Fatal Push is out, I'm probably going to shelve Spirits and Infect for a while while everyone plays unlimited removal decks. So it's back to Bogles for me!

Any new Bogles tech come out recently? I see Gryff's Boon as a 2 of in a lot of lists. What about that thing that lets you play aura's at instant speed?

I'm probably going to stick with my 3X suppression field though, it just feels so good.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

So you're saying continue to jam bogles all day erryday?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

would Bogles play more Kor Spiritdancers? Sram is a bad Kor Spiritdancer in that deck, I guess.

Absolutely not.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Any thoughts on the Modern Meta now that Fatal push is in and bans are here?

I took Bogles to a GPT and managed to squeak in a top 8 (By asking my opponent on 8-rack if they wanted to draw into top 8, because that was a match I was not going to win) and I then lost in top 8 to a teammate on Ad Nauseum.

turns out main deck suppression field is still good.

The local meta was half affinity, a quarter jund, and then a pile of outlier decks including modern Jeskai Cats. I'm going to GP Vancouver so I'm expecting a lot of Jund, Junk, and Grixis, and then a lot of Tron to counter those. Probably a fair amount of affinity to try and get in under those two archetypes

Currently trying to decide on what deck to play for the new weeks leading up to GP Van, and what to play at GP Van.

I currently have:

- Bogles (I have quite a few reps with this deck, and I love running main deck suppression fields. Has trouble against Lily)

- U/W or Bant spirits (Probably the most fun deck to play. I'd probably convert to Bant for fun)

- Infect (Still a great deck even without probe)

- Mon G Beats and Bear/Delver/Ninja (I'm not going to play these)

Any advice?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

Bogles seems pretty well positioned, do you run dryad arbors to counter Lili -2?

Just one. And the aforementioned Suppression Fields.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Molybdenum posted:

Seems good, the only bummer about the deck is drawing all bogles and no enchantments or vice versa.

A position I have been in too many times.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I saw a Grixis Delver/Control-y deck last FNM that lost a squeaker to Jund, it was using Push to great effect. But I was playing Titan so I didn't see any.

Suppression Field is sweet and I wish I had a deck where it was worth the drawback to yourself :( I have an Enchantress Deck where it would probably be good but it's not worth slowing down my own Arbor Elves and Luminarch Ascension.

Play the deck that you feel most comfortable with! Remember that a GP is a long event and you're going to be bored and/or tired by the end, so play something that's fun and feels natural to you. I'd also be interested in hearing if there have been any new developments on the Spirits front lately, I still kind of want to build the UW version.

I brought Bogles to GP van two years ago and went 5-4. I think it's slightly better positioned right now? I'm expecting, jund and junk and grixis. With people meta-ing tron to counter that. And assumedly people going affinity to counter tron.

Bogles and spirits are both not great against tron.

New spirits tech is bant instead of U/W which means gavony township and green lands instead of utility lands. 1x steel of the godhead seems like the max (if that).

Bogles seems great against push decks, especially if people are running a split on Lily of the veil vs last hope. Bant spirits has Kira, wanderer, lords, queller, and rattlechains.

I'll probably just build both and see what I can do.

Is maelstrom pulse still popular in G/x lists?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah but Suppression Field in the main against Tron is the best feeling. Buys you the extra 1-2 turns to win. They need a natural Tron to get you.

Suppression field might be my favorite card in modern. It's just so hateful.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah but Suppression Field in the main against Tron is the best feeling. Buys you the extra 1-2 turns to win. They need a natural Tron to get you.

They need a T3 tron, but even then they can't play Karn into an open board if you have suppression field. And to T4 Ugin you they need natural Tron plus double tower.

opponents not cracking their fetch in response to you playing yours on turn 2 is the best feeling in the world

That's what I'm all about.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Converted spirits from U/W to bant and took it out for a spin today.. deck feels real good.

Bant Spirits

Creatures

4 Drogskol Captain
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Phantasmal Image
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
3 Geist of Saint Craft
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Lands

1 Forest
1 Island
1 Plains
3 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
4 Flooded Strand
1 Gavony Township
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Razorverge Thicket
1 Temple Garden
3 Windswept Heath

Spells

4 Collected Company
3 Path to Exile

Sideboard

2 Spellskite
2 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Path to Exile
2 Kataki
2 Meddling Mage
2 Hurkyll's Recall
2 Kor Firewalker

R1 vs Kiki-chord win 2-0

Both games my opponent mulligans into oblivion. G1 I don't think he gets above 2 land and a bird. G2 I keep path mana up but it never comes up because I'm just too fast.

R2 versus Jeskai and the pussycats (modern version) win 2-0

G1 mausoleum wanderer is a great card and spell quelled blocks the combo.

G2 my opponent cliques me and I spell quell it. Next turn he cliques again and I CoCo in response putting in double captain. Opponent bottoms a rattlechains, and I draw a mausoleum wanderer. This ruins my opponents plan of angering me and he scoops.

R3 vs bant eldrazi win 2-1

G1 I keep a 1 lander and play a T1 mausoleum wanderer over a T1 heirarch. My opponent paths the wanderer (gently caress yeah) so I hit a Geist of st traft. Opponent eventually drops a thought knot exiling a selfless spirit. I get to 3 land and a heirarch and play double phantasmal image both targeting heirarch. I attack with Geist for 9 and my opponent misplays by blocking with the he thought knot thinking they would trade, but whoops Geist is a 5/5.

G2 double temple into brush land and displacer is a bad time for me.

G3 T1 heirarch means I can hold up queller starting on T2. At end step I flash in a rattlechains and now I can play my whole deck during my opponents end step. This is real bad for my opponent.

R4 vs G/W tron. I was terrified going into this match because I assumed tron was one of my worst matchups. Win 2-0

G1 I win the die roll, which felt key. I counter every ramp spell and queller the O-stone that comes up and my opponent doesn't have natural tron, and can't find pieces, so I keep swinging in for damage.

G2. Thus is the sweetest feeling ever. My opponent plays tron pieces on T1 and 2. T2 I meddling made naming Karn. Opponent frowns and plays the T3 natural tron and passes. T3 I phantasmal image meddling mage naming Ugin. Opponent looks even more upset as I swung in. They brick on lands for a few turns as I swing in. Eventually they hit an extra tron piece and cast Ulamog, exiling both meddling mages. Unfortunately I get to untap and swing lethal.

Deck is cool and good and feels fun to play. I'm making sideboard adjustments still, but the deck feels strong and good and fun. A+

I also got 5 prize packs and got a walking ballista and a chalice from them.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 4, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

uninverted posted:

Regionals decklists are up. Lots of spice in there, including storm, living end, landfall aggro with renegade rallier, and BUG delver.

HOLY poo poo BLACK/RED PACK RAT

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tim Raines IRL posted:

what the gently caress am i doing with my life

being cool and playing berserk.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Procrastinator posted:

Any goons getting owned in the gp van main event?

Lost back to back win and in rounds today. Feels bad man.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
GP Vancouver Tournament report:

I played the main event at GP Vancouver I was on bant spirits and I think the deck is A+ aces. I could probably be better at piloting it though.

Here's the Decklist:

Land:

2 x Botanical Sanctum
3 x Windswept Heath
4 x Flooded Strand
3 x Misty Rainforest
1 x Cavern of Souls
2 x Breeding Pool
1 x Hallowed Fountain
1 x Temple Garden
1 x Razorverge Thicket
1 x Gavony Township
1 x Forest
1 x Plains
1 x Island
(22)

Creatures:

4 x Noble Hierarch
3 x Phantasmal Image
4 x Drogskol Captain
4 x Mausoleum Wanderer
4 x Spell Queller
4 x Selfless Spirit
4 x Rattlechains
3 x Geist of Saint Traft
(30)

Spells:

4 x Collected Company
4 x Path to Exile
(8)

Sideboard:

2 x Rest in Peace
2 x Stony Silence
2 x Meddling Mage
2 x Kataki, War's Wage
2 x Rhox War Monk
2 x Blessed Alliance
3 x Qasali Pridemage
(15)

I was expecting a fair amount of affinity/burn. Which I was not wrong about. The Meddling Mages are my spicy sideboard action, and kataki, pridemage, and stony silence put in work against other decks as well (looking at you lantern control) I also like having most of my sideboard cards being able to be hit by CoCo. Blessed Alliance is just great FYI.

Tournament report:

Round 1 vs B/W Eldrazi Taxes.
Win 2-1
win die roll.

G1: I play a T1 mausoleum wanderer, and my opponent stops and asks to read the card, and then just looks confused. My opponent plays a b/w fastland and passes. T2 i swing for one and pass, opponent plays eldrazi temple into bob and passes, EOT I flash in rattlechains. Opponent reveals land off bob trigger, plays a land and taps out for thought knot, in response I flash in Drogskol Captain and show a hand of Second Drogskol captain and Phantasmal image + land. My clock wins.

G2: My opponent gets the T2 thought Knot, followed by the T3 Thought Knot. followed by eldrazi displacer, which is honestly pretty dang good.

G3: The board state just gets weirdly complicated here. My board contains 2x Drogskol captain, 1x phantasmal image on drogskol Captain, mausoleum wanderer, rattlechains, spell queller (exiling eldrazi displacer), and geist of st traft.

My opponent has Bob, eldrazi displacer, Resto angel, 2x Flickerwisp, thought knot.

So combat involves me swinging with the team, opponent blocking most of it then activating eldrazi displacer targeting resto which blinks and comes back blinking flickerwisp, which blinks second flickerwisp, which blinks angel token from geist. It's a lot to take in. Eventually I get him to the point where I can swing in and he has to block or die, but I have two spirits to flash in to make it lethal off of mausoleum wanderer triggers.

Round 2 vs G/B Tron
Win 2-1
Win die roll
I think Tron is one of this decks worst matchups, I have no idea how I pulled this out.

G1: I look at my opening hand and it's 2x path, 2x hierarch, and 4x fetchland. I think to myself "This is a perfectly keepable hand against anything excpt tron!" and keep it. I go T1 land, fetch, hierarch pass. Opponent goes T1 Tron land, expedition map, pass. Great. I play the second hierarch and start swinging for two. My T4 comes and I have drawn only land every turn of the game after playing and cracking 4 fetches. Feels bad man. My opponent plays a T4 Ugin and I immediately scoop so that he doesnt know what I am on.

Sideboard in: 2x Stony Silence, 2x Kataki

G2: I go T1 hierarch into T2 Geist of st traft which is fast enough to beat anything he tries to make happen.

G3: This is a long, grindy game. I snap down a T2 Kataki which pretty much delays my opponent by 2-3 turns, which feels really good. Gives me some time to swing in the air for chip damage. Eventually my opponent gets tron and drops awurmcoil engine, which I immediately phantasmal image so that I also have a wurmcoil engine of my own (this play feels great) We have a wurmcoil staredown while I continue to swing in for chip damage in the air. Opponent eventually lands an Ugin and -3's it to wipe my spirit board. I also bin my phantasmal image, but I am pretty sure that's wrong because it didn't have a color at the time right?

Anyways, opponent Ugin's so I CoCo on his end step, Punch out Ugin on the backswing, and then keep going in for eventual lethal. Feels good man.

Round 3 vs BreachTitan
Lose 1-2
Lose Die Roll

G1 I get a T2 geist of St Traft, and follow it up with more flying creatures, and it's much faster than he can Breach.

G2: I have a slower hand, and on T3 (at 4 mana) he goes exile simian spirit guide, Breach -> titan on end step, I go through my turn, he hardcasts a second titan, and swings with first titan. Yep you got it.

G3: This is a real heartbreaker because I had a great chance to win this. We had a good back and forth and both of our life totals were very low. I coco at opponents end step and hit a single mausoleum wanderer after my opponent clears the board. Opponent is at two life. top decking any creature in the deck, or a coco and I win the game. I draw a land and can only swing for 1, putting my opponent at 1, lose on the crack back. :\

Round 4 vs Jund
Lose 1-2

G1: Lose a very close game with my opponent at two life. I misplayed my geist of st traft, but I don't think it mattered as my opponent kept a double lily hand. What can you do.

G2: I play wanderer into Rattlechains, sac wanderer to counter an inquisition. Opponent plays a tap land and targets rattlechains with an abrupt decay, I flash in a captain for hexproof. Next turn opponent abrupt decays the captain, and I have a rattlechains in response, he lightning bolts in response, I rattlechains the bolt as well. Next turn opponent casts anger of the gods and I flash in the selfless spirit and he scoops.

G3 I mull to 6 and keep a 2 lander and hierarch. Opponent opens up with an inquisition taking the hierarch, and then has T2 Bob, T3 lily and I draw 3 drops and no land, and my two drops eat unlimited removal spells.

Round 5 vs Affinity
Win 2-1
Win die roll.

G1: I go T1 Hierarch, T2 Geist of St traft, T3 hierarch, hierarch, swing 9. Turns out that wins games very fast.

G2: I see zero sideboard cards and my opponent has overseer into master of etherium with skirge and plating on board. It's over fast.

G3: I also see zero sideboard cards in this game, but my opening hand says I can race him. My opponent also makes a TSN Turning Point Misplay of the Match! Opponent casts an etched champion with a ravager on 4 counters (he's been chumping with ornithopters and saccing before damage to poiwer the ravager) Opponent plays and activates a sea gate wreckage, which taps him out, and then sacs ravager to put all the counters on his etched champion and moves to combat. However my opponent doesn't realize that by saccing his ravager, he doesn't have metalcraft anymore. so I chump the etched champion which buys me the single turn I need to swing in for lethal. Feels good man.

Round 6 vs Naya Bushwacker
win 2-1
Lose Die roll

G1: my 2/3's are bigger than his 2/2's but he eventually lands a bushwacker and swings while I am at 5. I block his creatures and flash in a selfless spirit to make my board indestructible. He bloodrush's a Ghor clan to try and trample over for lethal but I have a path for it and that's G1.

G2: He gets the nutty fast burning tree bushwacker play and I'm out pretty quickly.

G3: I play a bit more defensively, and only have to fetch once, which is good because my opponent casts all 4 vexing devils. Luckily I had gained a few life off of a rhox war monk. He did have a burning tree shaman that he swung in with and then Ghor Clan'd, but I was ready with the escalated Blessed Alliance.

Round 7 vs Affinity
win 2-0
win the die roll

G1: My opening 7 might be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Land, land, Hierarch, 4x Spell Queller. Opponent plays out 2 vault skirge a drum and an opal, but I quell 2x cranial plating, master of etherium, and steel overseer during his turns. Feels real good.

G2: Opponent on the play goes T1 land, skirge, mox, drum, cranial plating. I go Land, pass. Opponent T2 goes second skirge, *no land drop* equip plating, swing. I go T2 land, Kataki, pass. Opponent loses entire board aside from land, skirge, plating, *no land drop* mox, pass. I slowly chip down with spirit beats as my opponent has nothing.

At this point I am 5-2 and just have to win one of my next two matches to seal day 2.

I look at my round 8 pairings, and I get a little bummed. I'm paired against BoSu. BoSu is probably one of, if not the best players in Alberta/Western Canada. On the upside, he's also a suepr nice and pleasant guy.

Round 8 vs TitanShift
Lose 0-2
Lose Die Roll

G1: What I would have given for a mausoleum wanderer in this match. I get some beats in, but he has a good amount of land up and he goes for the scapeshift with 1 untapped. I spell queller it and he shows me the lightning bolt for the queller. I figured it was coming but I had to make sure that he had it.

G2: Rhox War monks put in a lot of work and I almost pull through and win this one just on the back of lifelink. But eventually he gets to 4 valakut in play and at that point he's got it.

Round 9 vs Jund
Lose 0-2
Lose Die roll

G1: T1 inquisition T2 Bob, T3 Lily T4 kitchen finks (????) is tough to deal with.

G2: I mull to 6 and keep a 1 land double hierarch. because mulling to 5 against Jund you might as well just scoop. T1 hierarch gets bolted, T2 hierarch gets bolted, and my rattlechains gets inquisitioned. I never see a second land. Oh well what can you do? (mulligan better)

All in all I rank the deck an A+. I can see why many lists run a runed halo for the Valakut matches. But I also just sold mine because I got them for two dollars each and sold them for much more than that. I can see why people run Steel of the Godhead, but I would much rather have the extra phantasmal and mainboard path.

Sideboard cards:

- Rest in peace: I sided it in against Jund in a side event and it made his double goyf hand very bad. It also took the spice out of his mainboard scooze, and KCommands.

- Stony Silence: Card is still good against several decks including affinity, tron, lantern, tezzerator, etc.

- Blessed Alliance: Good against so many decks. Burn, low to the ground aggro decks, bogles, infect, tron.

- Qasali Pridemage: A perfectly cromulent sideboard card. exalted trigger is good.

- Rhox War Monk: Good against low to the ground aggro and burn and valakut decks

- Kataki: See stony silence, and you can hit it off of CoCo

- Meddling Mage: This is my pet card, and I love it. Side it in against scapeshift decks to delay them for a turn. Side it in against tron and name karn/ugin. side it in against infect and name blighted agent/glistener elf. Side it in against Ad nauseum and name Ad nauseum/Angels grace. Just really get buck wild on people with it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

I was led to believe that Tron is a decent match-up for Spirits. Karn isn't incredibly effective because he has a hard time picking off your guys and they're often big enough that you can kill him in a turn or 2 through plussing. O-Stone gets Quelled and countered by Selfless Spirit. Ugin is an issue but even then you have Company/Rattlechains to reload on their EOT.

I finally got my 2nd-5th judge Hierarchs at GP Pitt so I'll probably be trying this out soon. Is this just Caleb's list minus the bad enchantment and plus Path #4? Because that's pretty much exactly what I changed. I also made a few changes to the sideboard, specifically a Worship, Runed Halo, and Mark of Asylum.

Also yes Phantasmal Image on Wurmcoil feels amazing, and yes it is colorless. They can't even Karn it away.

Like I said, I always thought that the matchup was bad. But in practice it's much better than I thought it would be. I filled out my 4th Judge promo Hierarch at GP van, which felt great because playing with 3 and a regular one for the longest time felt bad. Runed halo would probably significantly increase the Valakut matchup, but what can you do.

yeah your phantasmal lives thru an ugin minus there (e;fb)

how do you (or anybody) playing modern come up with mana bases where it makes sense to play the fast lands? I don't know the math for figuring out how many botanical sanctums vs fetchable sources like breeding pools and so on. I usually just load up on fetches and shocks.

Land that comes into play untapped and doesn't hurt you is .... good.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is Moorland Haunt just not worth running as a land in that deck?

I ran moorland haunt when I was playing straight U/W spirits. but a 3 colour deck can't have too many lands that don't tap for a colour.

suicidesteve posted:

Is it better than Gavony? Probably not in general. The deck is already good against Jund/k and control which is where Moorland Haunt is good. If your meta is heavily skewed to the fairer decks then Haunt is probably better, which is why I'm playing it instead of Gavony (also because I can't find my Gavonys.)

I'm playing with Gavony and it has generally been better.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

It doesn't matter how you stack the triggers. Exalted only triggers when a creature attacks by itself. The angel token is put into play already attacking, so it doesn't trigger Exalted. Once Geist attacks, both its ability and Exalted (it's the only creature attacking) trigger. You can then resolve them however you wish.

This. That's why in round 5 vs affinity my geist was able to swing for 9 with triple hierarch out.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Procrastinator posted:

Gp van trip report:

Skipped the main event. Drafted multiple times and made the finals each time. Ditto a modern 8 man. Played rw burn in the modern confrontation and got smashed real quick. Felt like the bad side of variance but no big deal. Came home with 18 kld/aer draft sets to play with.

poo poo was aight.

Mezzanon are you living in this godforsaken city or somewhere else? I assume Alberta since you called it out specifically.

I lived in Vancouver from 2010-2013 and now I live in Alberta (just south of Calgary) because I immediately got hired out here in the field I went to school for. Also the cost of living is acceptable here in Canada's Texas.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hahaha, my teammates GP Vancouver tournament report. He placed 65TH (prizing to top 64)

Endless Salt: How I placed 65th at GP Vancouver

Going into the tournament, I was feeling pretty high on Ad Nauseum, although I’d just recently switched to the Spoils of the Vault version, so I was still a little unsure how to sideboard with the changes. I think ultimately this was the downfall of my performance and why I placed just outside prizing.

Decklist

4 Ad Nauseam
4 Angel's Grace
3 Darkslick Shores
1 Dreadship Reef
1 Laboratory Maniac
4 Gemstone Mine
1 Lightning Storm
4 Lotus Bloom
3 Pact of Negation
4 Pentad Prism
4 Phyrexian Unlife
1 Plains
4 Serum Visions
4 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Sleight of Hand
3 Spoils of the Vault
3 Temple of Deceit
3 Temple of Enlightenment
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Seachrome Coast
1 Island

Sideboard:
1 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
3 Darkness
1 Echoing Truth
2 Hurkyl's Recall
4 Leyline of Sanctity
1 Lightning Storm
1 Lingering Souls
1 Slaughter Pact
1 Thoughtseize

For the Sideboard, my teammate and I talked about placing a Dragonlord Dromoka in the sideboard, but that was the night before the tournament, so I never was able to make the replacement.

Due to winning a GPT, I was able to sleep in and skip those first two rounds, so my report will begin at round 3

Round 3 - Patrick on Ad Nauseum

G1
This was not how I wanted to start my day. My opponent won the roll, and immediately suspended a lotus bloom. I followed suit on my turn and we both went uhhh, never played the mirror before. He was far ahead on mana all game against me, and he went for it, going Lab man kill. I Angel’s graced, but ultimately lost as I did not draw a Spoils or Ad Naus all game..

In
+1 Lingering Souls
+1 Thoughtseize

Out
-2 Spoils

G2
My opponent had another good mana start, and I was off to a bit of a slow start. I played a turn 3 unlife, and felt pretty good. I had an Ad Nauseum, but nothing to protect it. Eventually, I drew a Pact and scried a second to the top, but before I drew it, my opponent went for his Ad Naus, casting it off Boseiju. I attempted to Ad naus in response, which he pacted, and I pacted back, but he had the 2nd pact. He gets his cards, and has a Seismic Assault to win the mirror.

Loss: 0-2

Record: 2-1

Round 4: Travis on Tron

Tron is a great match up. Honestly this is one of those matches that was over so fast I’m not even sure what happened.

Game 1 he applied no pressure and i was able to combo him on turn 4 before he hit natural tron.

In
+1 Echoing Truth

Out
-1 Dreadship Reef

Game 2, I have the spoils, and when it hits turn 4 I am able to go for it. He hit tron in this game, but did not do much to pressure me with it.

Win: 2-0

Record 3-1

Round 5: Steven on Bant Eldrazi

This is one of those match-ups we hadn’t tested a lot and I think that is ultimately why I lost.

Game 1: He leads off with a fetch into a Hierarch. The lands he played, I was afraid this was going to be infect, but on turn 2 he plays down an Eldrazi temple which makes me feel better. He applies early pressure with sky spawner and a reality smasher, but I’m able to combo him on turn 4.

In
+1 Truth
+2 Darkness
+1 Slaughter Pact

Out
-3 Slaughter Pact
-1 Dreadship Reef

Game 2 he plays TKS on turns 3 and 4 and rips the combo out of my hand, applying a good amount of pressure. I play an unlife, but he is able to destroy it.

Game 3, I have fogs and graces, but he plays a turn 2 stony silence which cuts me off the turn 4 despite a slow draw from him. He begins ripping my hand apart with a TKS on turn 5. I have an unlife out so I feel safe, but he strips a fog from my hand with a second TKS. He knocks me below 0, but only has 8 power in play, I scry an ad nauseum to the top and know I win the next turn as long as I survive. He rips the Reality Smasher off the top and I die.

Loss 1-2

Record: 3-2

Round 6: Brandon on Merfolk

This poor guy had no idea how Ad nauseum worked.

I won the draw and cast a serum visions turn 1, then suspend a bloom. My opponent plays an island and passes back. I follow up with a second serum visions, which my opponent spell pierces, and i follow up with a third visions. My opponent then plays a lord of some sort. I untap and play an unlife, and then pass. He plays a lord and then hits me for 3 and leaves up a blue. He spell pierces my bloom, which I pay for. I then draw a pact and have the spoils for the next turn. He plays another lord and swings for 8, then I spoils end of his turn, which he allows to resolve. I take 8. I untap and draw then cast ad nauseum and pact his third spell pierce. I go to -60 (he made my flip them and count it out), then I lightning storm him. He was very confused on how I did not die to my ad nauseum.

In
+1 Echoing Truth
+2 Darkness

Out
-2 Pact of Negation
-1 Dreadship Reef

Normally against Merfolk you are supposed to take out the pacts, but it felt weird as he had so many counters in the main. So I left one in so I could protect my spells

Game 2

My opponent either kept a really slow hand, or did not understand that his role is to apply pressure so I don’t have time to draw the combo if I don’t have it. He played a curse catcher turn 1 then, didn’t play another fish until turn 6. He did however have some counters. Eventually he realized plinking away for 1 a turn was a bad idea so he jammed a few creatures to try to apply more pressure. He ended up casting Unified will on an unlife, but I had a grace in hand. He eventually tapped low for more fish, and I had a hand where I could pay for the catcher and a spell pierce if he had them. Luckily for me he did not have both, so I played a land post Ad nauseum and cast lightning storm and killed him. He again was confused over why I had not lost after casting the ad nauseum, and I had to show him that Angel’s grace prevented me from losing the game.

Win 2-0

Record 4-2

Round 7: Kevin on Affinity

Game 1 my opponent didn’t apply very much pressure so I was able to get him on the turn 4 kill. I comboed while at 9, but he had lethal the next turn so I had to go for it.

In
+2 Hurkyl’s Recall
+1 Lingering Souls
+2 Darkness

Out
-1 Dreadship Reef
-3 Pact of Negation
-1 Pentad Prism

My opponent had a super slow start and I had the turn 4 so I was feeling pretty rosy, but right before I combo’d he cast Stain the Mind and named Ad Nauseum. My hand was totally dependant on the Ad Nauseum, so despite being at 20, I scooped it up so he couldn’t see my sideboard plan.

I tanked pretty hard here on whether or not to bring in the Leyline’s of Sanctity. I put them in my deck then almost took them out, and then went back through and did take them out of the deck finally. Not changing my sb plan at all. Some might say this was a bold move. My reasoning was that, it was likely only 1 or 2 of the cards in his 60, and not so important that he would mulligan for it. I also now knew about it, so I was not going to keep a hand that was all in on Ad nauseum if I did not have to.

Game 3, my opponent has another super slow start, durdling around until turn 4 again. This time my hand is spoils and unlife and mana. Perfectly good if I want to go for the Ad naus kill, but also good otherwise. I end up scrying a second spoils to the top, and play an unlife. He ends up casting Stain the mind and ses my hand of 2 spoils, but doesn’t seem phased. I begin scrying and hoping for a draw spell and a turn later I draw visions off of a sleight. My opponent hits me to 12, then I spoils for Lab Maniac and then untap and draw, then spoils again for Primeval Titan, and play the Lab Man, then the visions.

Win 2-1

Record 5-2

This is where I start getting nervous, last Modern GP Van, I went 6-3, and I was actually 6-1 going into the last 2 rounds, but here i’m 5-2 and in that same situation, if I lose my next 2, I’m done.

Round 8: Sherman on Jund

I’ve always found Jund to be a 50/50 match up, and was a little frightened to see it here. He has a fairly slow draw though that was low on discard, so I ended up drawing into the combo through a single inquisition and end up killing him.

In
+4 Leyline of Sanctity
+1 Echoing Truth

Out
-3 Pact of Negation
-1 Dreadship Reef
-2 Pentad Prism

Game 2, I have the leyline, which bricks a third of his hand. He ends up playing a goyf, but isn’t really able to do much from there. He doesn’t even pressure me that much and I grace, spoils, Ad naus for the kill.

Win 2-0

Record 6-2

This was vindication for the last time I missed out and I was super tired, but super happy about my performance. My goal coming into the tournament was to Day 2, and I’d just achieved that. I was hoping to make it to 7-2 though.

Round 9: Jason on Martyr Proc

Jason is an Alberta boy and always fun to play against. I knew he was on Martyr as I’d talked to him the day before and he literally always plays the same deck.

Game 1, he plays a tap land on turn 1, and I suspend my bloom. He goes oh yeah you play Ad Naus. He plays a martyr turn 2 and passes. I build my mana base some more with a prism, as I know I’ll need to Lab Maniac kill him. He hit me for 1 then plays a Squadron hawk, leaving up a single white. I untap, cast my bloom then draw, and go for the kill in my main phase. I play the maniac and cast serum visions, and he attempts to path the Lab Man so I pact it.

In
+1 Truth
+1 Slaughter Pact

Out
-1 Pact of Negation
-1 Dreadship Reef

I really wish I had a second different way of winning, as Lightning Storm is just not viable in this siuation, he was repping a 15+ point life gain in game 1, which means I need 11+ lands in hand to even get him dead, and then any lands he may have as well. I keep in a pair of pacts because he runs path and we’ve talked in the past that that is his way to win this match.

Game 2 he applies a bit of pressure, and ends up playing a crucible of worlds. He does make a mistake where he has 2 legendary lands in play and then realized it a turn later (to be fair I did not know flagstones of Trokair was legendary) He ends up playing a Ghost Quarter, which I totally blank upon the fact that he also has a crucible. This is important for me comboing. In my draw step, he ghost quarters my land. This actually was way better for me than if he had done it in my draw step. I like an idiot just grab the land and move to my main phase MISPLAY #1. Had I comboed then I’d have had an extra mana and won that turn. So I instead go for it on my main phase, and after drawing the whole deck realize, oh poo poo I’m a mana short. So instead of winning on the spot, I have to win across this turn and the next. So i play an unlife with my spirit guides. And end up keeping a hand of basic land, angel’s grace, pact, pact, slaughter pact, Lab Man, Serum visions. MISPLAY #2. This was really dumb as I’d forgotten about the ghost quarter and was going to be unable to play the grace, lab man and visions all in 1 turn. The correct line was to keep a second Grace, so I could cast a second angel’s grace in case he either had a removal spell for my lab man, or tried to play a threat that was lethal. In the end, he hits me to 4 infect and passes back and I angel’s grace in upkeep and he Ghost Quarters an untapped land. I play the land from my hand and slam the Lab man in my main phase and pass back. My opponent then swings for 4 putting me to 8 infect and I win in my draw step. My opponent misplayed here as he did not realize he had lethal with the gideon in hand, which I could not counter or kill since I forgot the second Angel’s Grace.

All in all the last round of day 1 was a gong show, but it is always fun playing against Jason!

Won 2-0

Record 7-2

So we grabbed food and then slept the night away, I felt refreshed in the morning and ready to go 3-3 and get my first ever pro point, that was in fact my goal for day 2 since I’d made it there.

Round 10: Akash on Affinity

My opponent went to the bathroom and was late, with the judges’ permission this round. Also, super weird Efro was 2 tables down playing Ad Naus and in between us was an Ad naus mirror match involving my teammate.

So this one was pretty simple I ended up combing him after he applied decent pressure and put me to 1. I spoilsed and then ad nauseumed and got him.

In
+2 Hurkyl’s Recall
+1 Lingering Souls
+2 Darkness

Out
-1 Dreadship Reef
-3 Pact of Negation
-1 Pentad Prism

Game 2, he applied a ton of pressure early and thoughtseized me on turn 2 to get the early combo out of my hand and I ended up dying.

Game 3 he applied decent early pressure and started gaining life, but I was faster and comboed him on turn 4.

Win 2-1

Record 8-2

Round 11: Steven on Burn

This guy beat my teammate in round 9, so it was grudge match time.

He played a goblin guide and flipped 3 lands in a row to it, so that was pretty sweet. He knocked me down to 5 and I still hadn’t seen an Ad Nauseum, so I angel’s Graced and Spoils for Ad Naus, which was 30+ cards in. I eventually exiled both my win conditions, so I scooped and we went to game 2.

In
+4 Leyline of Sanctity
+1 Lightning Storm

Out
-2 Pact of Negation
-1 Dreadship Reef
-1 Spoils of the Vault
-1 Laboratory Maniac

Game 2, I had a leyline and was just much faster when he couldn’t hit me with spells. He never drew a revelry and i beat him pretty easily due to that. I ended up going for it when I was at 14 as he couldn’t stop me. He made such notable plays as helixing himself to push in a second point of damage on his Swiftspear.

Game 3, he had a more interactive hand, with an Eidolon, which dealt a ton of damage to me. He got stuck on 2 mana, and missing a green source. On the decisive turn he could either knock me to -1 and begin to deal infect, or hold up deflecting palm. He elected to go the infect route, and I was able to win, although I would have won the other way as well, it just would have been closer. 8 infect instead of 6.

Win 2-1

Record 9-2

Round 12: Jon on Death’s Shadow Jund

Game 1 I did not see any of the Death’s Shadow pieces and thought he was on a weird jund deck. He put himself to 10 (which honestly should have been a hint), but he played inquisition into tarmogoyf, so I read jund. I ended up getting him dead on turn 4.

In
+4 Leyline of Sanctity
+1 Echoing Truth

Out
-3 Pact of Negation
-1 Dreadship Reef
-2 Pentad Prism

The Sideboard plan actually worked out really well as I had a leyline in the opening hand, and was able to shut off his thoughtseize into surgical plan. I ended up opening on serum visions into double serum visions, and he bemoaned the fact he had not gone for the surgical there. I ended up having a really good hand, and my opponent missed his second land drop, and then on his third turn hit it. He then on turn 4 played a traverse, getting a Death’s Shadow, and I was like OH! I really goofed on my sideboarding. Then he played the Death’s shadow and I untapped and killed him. He showed me he had a fulminator in hand and had contemplated playing it, to which I said, that really only delays me by a turn, if at all, and it gives me more time to draw the combo if I don’t have it anyway, so I liked his line of present a clock, it just didn’t work out for him in that situation.

Win 2-0

Record 10-2

Round 13: Derrick on Melira Company

Game one, he plays a Heirarch into a Pridemage, so I bait out the use of the ability with a pentad prism, so I can play my unlife. This works out, and he chips away at my life until I’m at 6. I have the combo for the next turn, and then he just passes without attacking and all his mana up with a fetchland. I read Chord into Renegade Rallier, so I pass back. He doesn’t do anything and draws for turn, and then plays a Rallier. With the spell on the stack, he is at 2 lands and 2 creatures, so I Ad Naus in response and kill him. I asked if he had the chord, and he did, so I felt pretty good about this play.

In
+4 Leyline
+1 Echoing Truth
+1 Slaughter Pact

Out
-3 Pact
-1 Dreadship
-1 Unlife
-1 Pentad

I did not have a leyline in hand, but had the natural turn 4. I had put the leyline in, in case he had redcap, which talking to him afterwards he didn’t, but he did have his turn 2 play, which was Tidehollow Sculler. So he stripped the Ad naus out of my hand, and then a turn later took 1 of the 2 Angel’s graces out of my hand. Here I played an unlife, and was able to force him to go for the kill and hope I don’t draw an out. With 7 outs in the deck, I liked his line. His other line was mana denial, but delayed the kill by a two turns, which could allow me to draw into the mana I needed and one of the outs. I end up Angel’s gracing and going to 1. He asks me to just flip my top deck as he has lethal next turn. I peek and flip the spoils, and name ad naus. I exile 12 cards, none of which were relevant and he congratulates me on the win.

Win 2-0

Record 11-2

Round 14: Jason on Eldrazi & Taxes

He mulls to 6, and then windbrisks on turn 1. He snapped off one of the cards, and then passed back. I have a pretty reasonable draw here, and suspend a bloom and pass. He plays a thalia and passes. He untaps and windmill slams a TKS out of his hand. Hitting a combo piece. I’m still live here, and end up playing an unlife. The activates a mutavault and hits me for 8, then slams a TKS from under his windbrisk. I’m still alive, but he slams a third TKS and taes the spoils from my hand and makes me use the Angel’s Grace. I hope he doesn’t attack with the thalia, but he does and I lose.

In
+1 Echoing truth
+1 Slaughter Pact

Out
-2 Pact of Negation

I didn’t bring in Leyline as the only thing that wrecks my day is the TKS, and I doubt he has them. He proceeds to play a chalice on 1, another on 0 and when I play the Unlife, he o-rings it, then plays a TKS to take the Ad naus out of my hand and strands 4 1 mana spells, and I die shortly after.

Lose 0-2

Record 11-3
This was the end of my run for top 8, but i was still live for prizes, so i was happy about that. With a win or draw i was guaranteed prizing.

Round 15: Chantelle playing Naya Titanshift

This went oddly for me, she played a turn 3 nahiri, and i had a ton of mana, all I needed to draw was an ad naus or spoils and I had the win, but across 5 turns I missed on all of them and eventually she cast scapeshift, which i allowed to resolve, and angel’s graced the follow up and then she ultimated the Nahiri to get Emrakul, which wrecked my permenants.

In
+4 Leyline

Out
-3 pact
-1 dreadship

I brought in the Leyline to give an extra target to the nahiri and to prevent the scapeshift win.

I draw the Leyline off a serum visions, and am nowhere near the combo. I use quite a few draw spells and miss on them all, then play the leyline on turn 4 and she uses her turn 3 nahiri to exile it and then goes through the breach titan kill you. It was a sad day, but Chantelle on the top placing won at 24th, so that was cool!

Lose 0-2

Record 11-4

I watched the rest of the win and ins at this point as a friend of mine was playing against Jon Stern for top 8, and he narrowly missed out on the top 8. We all sat around waiting for the top 8 announcement, and everyone made it that we thought would. Then they announced that final standings were up and looking at another person’s phone, I died a little as I came 65th.

Take aways:
Ad Naus is a sweet deck that has great game against an uninteractive field. I’d definitely play it again if I were playing again this weekend. Even the interactive match ups can be favourable. I felt that my TKS match up wasn’t great, but hadn’t seen it a lot in Lethbridge so I probably made some Sideboarding mistakes.

If I were to try another deck, I think I’d go with the Death’s Shadow jund. It looked sweet and is pretty quick. I’d also like to try out the Top 16 8 rack deck that was splashing white for some spicy sideboard tech.

All in all, a fun tournament, and I’m very excited that I got my first 2 pro points! BUT I AM ONE WITH THE SALT!

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Its cool that he got to play the Eldrazi guy who made it to top 8.

Yeah that guy had a very spicy eldrazi deck.

Side question: Is there a different place I should be putting tournament reports? I like writing them when I go to big events, and I think they are informative, but if this isn't the thread for them then I can stop.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I had a guy breach out a Woodfall Primus at me at a side event. Destroying a land, swinging in, saccing it, destroying another land, having a 5/5.

That felt real bad.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Is anybody else playing frontier? Is it a,real format? Apparently it's gaining a poo poo ton of traction in my area.

I think it looks dumb but that's just me. Modern without any of the hate Cardsnthat keep the format in check.

HOWEVER, one of the only days off I have per week is going to be rotating format day at a FLGS. Since I have modern, legacy, and pauper decks I might as well spend a maximum of $40 and make a frontier deck as well.

I'm thinking Grixis Ensoul because it's not very popular and also seems fun and stupid.

3 Anticipate
3 Bonded Construct
3 Chief Engineer
4 Chief of the Foundry
2 Compelling Deterrence
1 Cranial Archive
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Ensoul Artifact
4 Hangarback Walker
2 Island
3 Lightning Strike
1 Mirrorpool
1 Mountain
3 Negate
2 Obelisk of Urd
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
2 Phyrexian Revoker
3 Roast
2 New Tezzeret
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
2 Scuttling Doom Engine
4 Shivan Reef
4 Shrapnel Blast
2 Smash to Smithereens
4 Spirebluff Canal
3 Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
2 Unknown Shores
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Workshop Assistant

Something like that. Maybe that 3 mana tezzeret enchsntment that does the same as ensoul. Maybe ghostfire blade instead of obelisk.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
That sounds good to me. Like I said I'll invest $30 into the format for grixis ensoul so I have a deck to play casually and other than that I'll stick with the formats I like. Modern, legacy, and pauper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

EvilBeard posted:

Please, do not play bad decks that lose to die rolls. Play something like Dragon Stompy (another Chalice deck but with planeswalkers and creatures), or Monored Sneak Attack. Basically, being the Blood Moon/Chalice pain.

Play legacy infect.