Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Legacy rules. You should play legacy. Good OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Is that Eldrazi deck overloaded with Karaks for Show and Tell? I've only been playing one. And I can't remember if I had diamond still. Not a fan of SSG in the deck.

Karakas seems pretty bad here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You can play Combo Elves with Overgrown Tombs and Nykthos. It's probably a better deck, if you're good with it, than Nic Fit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CompeAnansi posted:

I'm about $500 from having legacy Eldrazi, which is by far the closest of any of the decks listed in the OP. Almost all of that comes from the 4x Cavern of Souls, 4x Wasteland, 3x Chalice of the Void (I already have one), and 1-2 Karakas, which are all staple cards that I should probably have if I want to play legacy anyways. I know the deck is relatively new, but how competitive is Eldrazi in the legacy metagame? Is it at least a tier two strategy?

Yeah it's definitely T2 at worst. You're good vs Delver/Storm and bad vs Sneak/Show and Lands. It's basically the new MUD of the meta and it's better than MUD was.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 2, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

People keep saying this but I keep running into the same aggro/combo decks I airways have and find myself hoping for my sideboard cards more than I find myself hoping to have an interesting game.

This has always described modern. I guess if you like modern you like it now and if you don't you don''t.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Oraculum Animi posted:

Is 8 fetches enough to run 2 Grim Lavamancer in modern Boros burn?

Why are you only playing 8? They are great with Searing Blaze too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Presumably because lol @ Tarns and Mesas.

Oraculum Animi posted:

What this man said. And I have the Searing Blazes.

Play 3x Sacred Foundry 1 or 2 Plains and 2-3 Windswept Heath.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

Going to a Legacy FNM this week with borrowed Reanimator (U/B/g with Archetype of Endurance, Golgari Charm, and Abrupt Decays). Playing the deck for the first time, what advice would you guys give me? I have watched other people play the archetype and watched MODO videos.

This is pretty close to what my friend has sleeved up right now, though he did mention MD Thoughtseize. Thanks!

Archetype of Endurance was bad for the very limited number of times I played this deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

Yeah but beggars can't be choosers. What would you replace it with?

I like the singleton Jace or if you're on a budget, Hapless Researcher in that deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

I think my buddy has a Jace I can also borrow. Thanks!

Any piloting tips?

I always like just jamming with a deck like this and if they have the answer they just have it.

Edit. I mean Little Jace.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

No you meant Flip Jace

The littlest Jace.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eSporks posted:

Looks like its time for dredge or 12 post.

It's gonna take more than that for these decks to be good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's criminal that GP Columbus wasn't streamed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eSporks posted:

If you guys missed the finals of GP Prague, its worth watching. Link to Game 3 here Its miracles vs Storm
Miracles player is holding force, force, flusterstorm, flusterstorm, surgical extraction, snap caster, blue card, and has a top in play. Storm player manages to win.

That guy was one of the better storm players I've seen. A well deserved win.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Do people bring in Sphere of Resistance against Miracles?

On what deck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Please just ban Top already.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kraus posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to buy a couple of Badlands so I can play Dark Burn and B/R Reanimator?

Depends if you like losing or not....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

So we've basically come full-circle back to the "no evasion, no way to protect itself, no value if it dies right away" reason people thought it was underwhelming when it first got spoiled?

No. It's still the best at what it does. Beats down to close for fair decks. Those decks just happen to be bad right now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Goyf is a really good card in a vacuum but the big hitters in the meta right now all work around it. The best Delver is BURg and has pyro and angler as better critters, Miracles doesn't run goyf, Eldrazi stand up against Goyf really well, etc.

Goyf is just a really great beater. We have another one of those now in Angler, and legacy, with few exceptions, has always demanded that creatures bring a lot more value than power/toughness to the table. The fact that it's gone on so long as The Legacy Creature is testament to how good it is, but he relies on the other 56 cards to make Be a Big Beater good.

Legacy is a format where there are entire decks built around amazing creatures that are bad legacy decks (Nic Fit) so when you say Goyf isn't the best in legacy any more it's not like that's saying goyf is terrible.

Legacy is like 3 good decks (Miracles, Best Delver Variant At The Moment, Rotating Third Option) and 700 terrible decks, and Goyf is still amazing in all but 3 decks at the moment.

Lands and ANT are both still T1 legacy decks. I agree with the rest of what you're saying though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why should I be playing City of Solitude over Defense Grid in ANT?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jabor posted:

Because sometimes you don't want to wait for them to tap out for something before going off.

Ok but does that outweigh the downside of 2 vs 3 mana and having to fetch a Trop vs Wasteland decks?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rogue0071 posted:

Stops your opponent from using top (relevant with counterbalance and with miracles floating countermagic on top of their deck to protect it from discard).

Yup, thats the reason. I didn't realize it stops activated abilities.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Why would you be playing either of these in ANT? Do you have a list? I've only ever seen Defense Grid in Vintage Storm. That and also Serenity for the lists that splash white instead of red in the side. I just can't imagine either of those played in ANT....not sure what you'd cut for them.

It's relatively new tech. Paul Cheon was playing it at GP Columbus and in some of his ANT videos.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone playing MonoW Eldrazi in Legacy?

Michael Majors played it at a GP and it looks good...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=104145

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Seems like it needs containment priest main. Legacy is slow enough that the interaction between priest and displacer might be actually really good, rather than just a byproduct of maindeck oath hate like the vintage version has. And last I checked, sneak and show was still a thing, right?

I really like cutting the Endless One's or some number of Mimics for MD containment Priest.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Anyone playing MonoW Eldrazi in Legacy?

Michael Majors played it at a GP and it looks good...

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=104145

Why isn't anyone else playing this deck?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

They.....are? Like, Eldrazi decks get lumped by tcdecks and mtggoldfish and such but they're out there.

All I see are the colorless versions of the deck... This white version with Thalia just seems much better to me...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I want to just stick with Grixis for this weekend but I hate the Eldrazi matchup. Talk me out of switching...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

standard.deviant posted:

Everything has bad matchups and if you switch to a deck you have less experience playing you will lose to your mistakes more often. Legacy is not Standard.

I have experience with Shardless and with Sultai Delver too. Just not sure which one is best for the weekend though I don't know if their Eldrazi matchups are much better than Grixis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AgentSythe posted:

Grixis Delver with Stifles is probably not good (though most aren't playing Stifles anyway) but that eldrazi deck is still a Stompy deck. they don't have any manipulation like you do. More Pierces and Strixes seems good.

I do play Stifles but i agree with you about Strix's. I want 1 in the Main and probably 2 more in the board.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

I have a dilemna. Should I register 4x moat for an upcoming legacy tournament, or 4x chains of mephistopheles? Or try to brew something with both.

Moat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

McMagic, what's the ol zooicide SB look like for you now? Are you going to pack any more gy hate?

So this weekend I had zero GY hate in the board, played against Dredge once and lost but it was a weird match where I didn't draw Death's Shadow either game and he was also playing Bolts in the deck which he top decked to beat me off a 3rd redraw when I had a Nacatl attacking for like 17 or something so IDK if it would've helped. I think I just want to be killing them fast. Ross's deck is going to be the list people play and that has virtually zero removal and blocks awfully so I'm going to try to warp my board to beat it. I think the matchup is fine as it is. Someone recommended Postmorten Lunge to me and it was in my board on Saturday but I didn't play against Jund or Jeskai to bring it in. Ended up losing a win and in to Folk because he had a MB Vaper Snag (which I thought wasn't popular now) and that blew me out.

FWIW I played Infect yesterday and that deck is a hoot and a half too. Turn 2 kills are a thing in modern. I lost the mirror to the best player in the room Osyp L and to the UW Control deck that I thought was a good matchup but turned out horrible... IDK I don't have enough experience with the deck.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 15, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Tales of Adventure is hosting Eternal Extravaganza V in Baltimore this year on October 17-18 or thereabouts so huzzah for a big legacy event that isn't in Ohio.

It's on a loving monday and tuesday? LOL And people wonder why legacy is dying.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

Yo McMagicEagleGunGuy,

Have you been playing Steppe Lynx or deathtouch tree as your last creature in Death's Shadow?

Steppe Lynx for life. I was happy to see Brad Nelson agreed with me too...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

What do you both think of Grim Flayer in the deck?

In Suicide Zoo? No. You can't be playing 2 mana creatures in this deck. I don't even play the 1 of Goyf.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 22, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

I don't play the goyf either but if I feared chalice, I might try flayer on the gof slot.

Nothing in modern is really playing Chalice now...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Definitely infect because blue lands and forces are the most important cards to own.

Yeah but the only cards in Legacy infect that are played in anything else are Forces and Trops...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Dazes and cantrips too. It's got way more crossover with other decks than D&t which only has wasteland, stoneforge, and containment priest.

Yeah but Dazes and Brainstorms are like a quarter each. I'm talking cards you actually have to spend money on.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm expecting GP Indy to be a huge breakout weekend for Dredge which is why I'm packing my Jund sideboard with all the hate I can.

That means you will play against dredge zero times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

lol this is the other thing I'm worried about

e:

Basically sideboarding for:

Jund Mirror
Grindy control (Nahiri/UWx/Grixis)
Dredge
Suicide Zoo
Affinity

If you ask me, Abzan is better positioned right now than Jund is.