Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

I think there's something to be said for Bolt over Path. But I agree if Suicide Zoo starts to fade from the meta.

Path is roughly 10 billion times better vs Suicide Zoo than Bolt is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

I meant in general I like Bolt as a removal spell more and in the Suicide Zoo matchup Jund has access to burn spells.

Burn spells are horrible against Suicide Zoo. Jund is never going to be able to play the beatdown in that matchup the way Burn can. You will literally never win a game vs Suicide zoo that way.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You just hate Jund

I do. But I also think that Abzan is better in the current meta by alot.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 23, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Walked posted:

Anyone else going to the Baltimore SCG in November? I'm going to do the main legacy event and then modern when i fail to make day 2.

Trying to drag my brother and a guy from work, but TBD

Yeah.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think that the Titan Ramp decks are the best "Big Mana" decks to be playing right now but I don't understand how that deck ever beats Suicide Zoo. It's been a bye every time I've played the matchup.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Got the last cards for my Modern Junk list today, hopefully testing it out at FNM this week :woop:

Deck: Junk Beatdown

//Lands
2 Forest
2 Gavony Township
2 Godless Shrine
1 Hissing Quagmire
3 Marsh Flats
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Shambling Vent
1 Stirring Wildwood
1 Swamp
2 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Lingering Souls
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
4 Path to Exile
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Kitchen Finks
2 Qasali Pridemage
3 Scavenging Ooze
4 Siege Rhino
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Dismember
1 Gaddock Teeg
1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Painful Truths
1 Qasali Pridemage
1 Spellskite
2 Stony Silence
3 Thoughtseize
1 Zealous Persecution

Display deck statistics

Manabase is admittedly a little weird because it's a combination of stuff I already have and me not knowing which manland(s) are best, but other than that I'm pretty happy. SB is pretty general because I don't have a consistent picture of the local meta yet, and I kind of want to put the Thoughtseizes MB but it's supposed to be a more creature-focused build so I dunno. Maybe once (if?) I pick up the Goyfs and LotVs to make actual Junk.

I don't like 4x Finks in the MB of decks that aren't trying to combo off with it. This deck is just way more fair than anything I would want to be doing in Modern.... Also Noble is just strictly better than Birds in this kind of deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I played against a Junk player who ran 2 of them to protect against sweepers and to combo with his Rhino's, Goyfs, and 1-of Kalitas.

That seems awful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I think this is playable in modern, and I wonder about Legacy elves as well. 4 cmc is a lot but the potential synergy with sylvan library is pretty nuts.

This isn't getting out of EDH.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

Since I have basically everything for Junk already and Kaladesh is bringing enemy fastlands I figured I'd give it a shot. Is thoughtseize going to be a 4-of in this deck with all the lifegain and the new fastlands? I'm thinking of trying 4 thoughtseize, 1 inquisition, and 1 collective brutality instead of the usual 3/3 split.

I think 3/3 and 2 brutality is going to be industry standard. The split now is usually 4/2 inquisitions.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mef989 posted:

I've been liking 3 Rhinos and 1 Kalitas. Im still on 24 land and 0 nobles though.

Kalitas seems terrible in Abzan. I'm mixed on Noble. I hate putting another bad lategame topdeck in the deck but it's so good if you have it early...

Here is my list for reference: http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=107366

ThePeavstenator posted:

They aren't in older builds. Now that decks are more linear, powering out a Liliana/Anafenza/Lingering Souls turn 2 is pretty good. Also it lets your Goyfs win in combat and your Rhinos trample for more.

I don't think you need Anafenza anymore. Seems like Dredge has been hated out of alot of metas.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 15, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mef989 posted:

He's been OK but I really don't play enough anymore to have tested him too much. I can see dropping him for a 3rd scooze or tasigur. I might try picking up nobles to try but I missed grabbing them when they were down to $35

Tasigur is bad with Goyf. I don't think you want it unless you're playing the grim flayer version.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

4c Delver is in a really bad place in the meta to be honest. The colorless eldrazi deck is super strong, as is the white splash for Thalias, Displacer, and whatnot. I've ever seen weirder poo poo, like splashing red for Flametongue Kavu, or playing Fleetwheel Cruisers as Reality Smashers 5-8.

The only deck I would play in a legacy event is Belcher.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tried to watch some Vintage and I got 15 mins of players shuffling while Randy Buehler tries to fill time...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Did i mention that the pacing on this stream is HORRIBLE?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

After going 4-0, 4-0 , and 3-1 in my last few FNMs with the same list I have an opinion about Modern Junk:

Grim Flayer is good as a 2/2 and the 4/4 mode should be seen as a bonus, don't put bad cycling artifacts in your deck just to try and turn it on.

Abzan is good in the world of Infect and Affinity but I'm seeing nothing but Bant Eldrazi and Tron. Makes it very rough to try to play any GB deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Ponza owns

people were playing noted $45 uncommon Mishra's Bauble for a time in Junk and Jund

It's $20... Not $45.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hey vintage people. If my LGS is having a Vintage 15 proxy tourney next weekend what should I play that is good vs Shops? Dredge?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Snacksmaniac posted:

Just play dredge

Do you have an updated list? Is it playing Amalgams?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would it, Amalgams are glacially slow.

Got a list?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yLc2tu2CM4pLYUn0SSroYjOLafQZwCCE90iaNSaIWxg/edit?usp=sharing

That is what I played at eternal weekend this year to a X-3 finish. If you are not concerned with facing the mirror board the leylines for Unmasks (this is particularly good vs eldrazi and shops), and cut a barbarian ring, 2 wispmare and a chewer for the leylines. Also Fragmentize is worth playing, swap a couple of the chewers/wispmares for 3 at least.

Thanks. I guess you're playing alot of lands because of Bloodghast?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

More because after board you have to cast your anti-hate spells consistently, and cabal pit takes the place of removal for priests/jailers. Also loam was amazing all weekend, rebuying pits or bazaars game 1 and being another way to rebuild your hand to keep bazaaring when digging for answers while keeping cards in hand after board.

And you found that DK is better than Flamekin Zealot?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'd jam some legacy on Cockatrice if people want. I don't have xmage.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

black potus posted:

This story of playing two grim flayers in a deathrite shaman format is very illustrative of how modo players are bad thank you! :jerry:

Grim Flayer is very legacy playable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jund and several different Sultai Variants.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Biaga posted:

I got a box of Kaladesh as a gift and opened a foiled Sword of Feast and Famine. I do not want to keep this card and would like to sell it to buy cards I am not paranoid about.

What is the best way to maximize my return for it? Most stores won't offer me less than 50% of its value, is online the best way? is there a place outside ebay that I can put it up for sale?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

this is forums poster Hellsau making Rich double-take

you ever have a gurmag angler Venser'd (which, as a Wizard, is a spell and not a creature)? pretty clear that it's unplayable based on that experience alone

It's not like it's all that hard to get 6 more cards in the yard in Grixis Delver...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone have a good post- Fatal Push Abzan list in modern?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm working on one but I think it involves playing 4 Bobs. Adding 4 one-drops to that deck really brings the average CMC down.

Over Flayer?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Anyone who wants to see why Terminus needs to go, watch Reid's latest video. Match 3 I think.

Terminus #1: on their turn 4 draw step, has Counterspell for Reid's Force. Because you should be able to cast a 2 mana spell plus a board wipe with 3 mana

Terminus #2: the next turn to clean up the rest of Reid's cards, I think followed up by some spell or another.

Terminus #3: a few turns later followed up by a JtMS. Because you should be able to wipe the board again and cast a 4 mana spell on the same turn that early in the game.

What a cool card that isn't completely format warping!

Without Top, Terminus would see zero play. It's never the payoff, it's the enabler.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

And Top is played in plenty of other decks and is a perfectly fine card contrary to what people want to believe from playing against bad players. Terminus is played in one deck and is singlehandedly responsible for keeping an entire archetype down.

Again none of this matters because if they ban anything it'll be Top.

No it's not. It's not more than a 1 of any other decent deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The March Hare posted:

Infect is T1 and I'm also reasonably certain that BR reanimator, which is also T1, shits right on top of miracles.

Legacy Infect isn't T1 unless Tom Ross is playing it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

eSporks posted:

You take that back buddy. Doomsday will be referred to as nothing less than "The Best Deck", this is followed closely by Nic-Fit.

Actually one of my best friends in magic plays Doomsday in legacy. He's a lunatic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sultai Delver in Legacy is sweet and fun.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Which version of Suital Delver is better? The combo hate version with Stifle and multiple Spell Pierce main or the Midrange Grindfest with Hymms and Lilianas and MD Discard? I also feel like cutting the Gofys for Mandrils is correct right now since Fatal Push is a beating and a half... Thoughts?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

i guess i probably should have just written the drat thing up:

4x Delver of Secrets
4x Death's Shadow
3x Deathrite Shaman
3x Gurmag Angler

4x Ponder
4x Brainstorm
4x Gitaxian Probe
4x Stifle
4x Daze
4x Force of Will
2x Dismember
2x Snuff Out
1x Fatal Push

4x Polluted Delta
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Wasteland
2x Underground Sea
1x Tropical Island
1x Watery Grave
1x Island

//SB
3x Thoughtseize
2x Submerge
2x Nausea
1x Winter Orb
1x Pithing Needle
1x Flusterstorm
1x Surgical Extraction
1x Sylvan Library
1x Toxic Deluge
1x Echoing Truth
1x Fatal Push

I'm not sure about the sideboard at all. I think I want to find room for a basic swamp, maybe some more of the flusterstorms and surgicals.

Cut Gurmag number 3 for a Phyrexian Dreadnought and Dismember number 2 or Snuff out number 2 for the 4th Deathrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

doing damage as opposed to giving -1/-1 is worse against stuff like mom and TNN (though i don't think it will be in for the TNN matchups anyway)

I have, no poo poo, thought about throwing in a dreadnought

I always play 1 whenever I play a Stifle deck. If you get 1 free win with it, it's worth the slot.