Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Thanks for making a new thread - nice OP! If anyone's on the fence about Legacy and lives in a place where they think they'd get their money's worth out of it, I definitely recommend giving it a shot. It's a real good format with some real powerful decks, but also a format where an unusual brew or fun Tier Whatever deck can still be good for taking down a small local event.

I also recommend, especially after you've been playing Legacy for a while, proxying up Vintage with your playgroup and giving that a shot too. I think I prefer the kind of games I get in Legacy more if I had to choose one, but Vintage is quickly becoming my favorite way to fill the time between rounds at Legacy night. I'm still a little ways away from having my VIntage deck finished on MODO but I'm looking forward to playing in an actual metagame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
One local store doesn't have a huge supply but they're doing a hush-hush limited thing for regulars. Haven't heard how much they plan to price it but it's cool to know I at least have the option.

I'm mostly looking forward to finding out what the official Japanese name of Force of Will is, since everyone I know in Japan just calls it "Will." Sometimes cards get good localizations but a lot of them are overly literal in ways that don't really carry the same gravity as they do in English, and I'm interested in seeing how they come up with new names for things that have been established in players' minds for years.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Anyone disappointed in EMA had expectations they should have realized were unrealistic from the start. (Or they were holding off on buying their Rishadan Ports, I guess.) It's completely in line with the other paper Masters sets we've had before.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
There are no white-bordered duals on MTGO, unfortunately.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

empathe posted:

Surgical is just a fun card and lots of people like jamming it as a "gently caress your 4 of" card but yeah it's not great vs. D&T.

I guess it's semi legit if they really can't deal with Wasteland?

Yeah, on 12 Post I usually board some in against D&T for Wastelands, then take them right back out when I remember it doesn't really deal with any of their other cards and I'm better off using something that might help against Cataclysm instead.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

suicidesteve posted:

Ok fine Miracles has one bad tier 2.5 match-up.

Two. Don't forget the eleven or so of us who play Cloudpost :colbert:

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Archenteron posted:

Someone turned the Breakfast Burrito into some sort of dadaist art piece making it 10x more moving parts and inefficient while having the dubious upside of letting it work in multiplayer(????)

:allbuttons:

I am really, really tempted to throw this together, mostly because my scene has a lot of curious players who would definitely sit and watch the combo play out at least once and I want to see the look on their faces when they realize what the Door is for.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

where are the brainstorms

To the right of the Gambles

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Not Modern but last time a guy thought he'd beaten me by Surgicaling my Emrakul I ended up slowly killing him with a single Phyrexian Revoker naming Sneak Attack while he couldn't do anything. I guess the moral of the story here is don't underestimate your opponent and also plan to deal with a really common answer for the only wincon left in your deck after you board out Show and Tell.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Even as a 12 Post player, I may actually be more upset that I never got around to sleeving up Thought Lash combo for one more night of laughter and explaining what my cards do before it died than I am about Miracles. And losing Top for Post itself, but I'm pretty sure Miracles biting the dust hurts Post way more than losing Top did. Looks like it's time to pivot to Colorless Green Post for giggles and finally get around to building Lands.

I still can't believe they were dumb enough to ban Top instead of Terminus but enh actually I totally can.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

EvilBeard posted:

I think people get the wrong impression. This was less about Miracles being oppressive and more about top being obnoxious with 90% of players.

I get that that was part of it, but I also think it's dumb to ban a card because some people are bad at Magic.

Also not that I doubt it happens but geez, did I just luck out and get the only local scene where almost everyone could Top in a reasonable amount of time?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Most people exaggerate how many people just durdle slowly with top. It's easy to complain about.

I find after a month or two most miracles players speed up to normal speeds.

The people I do know who were slow Toppers are also all just excruciatingly slow players in general. Top does present those people with a greater number of decisions, but man I just do not think that's a good criteria for a ban at all. Enforce or re-examine the rules concerning slow play in competitive environments if you have to, but take care of it with those rules, not by taking cards away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

kirtar posted:

Wait what other format besides modern?

Extended, when that was a thing.