Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Yeah part of my interest in Nic Fit is that I'm already working on Modern Junk, so I have most of the Modern-legal cards in that list and a couple other things like Marsh Flats I could use until I can get the priciest cards.

I know we discussed modern junk lists in the last thread, so I'll throw in my 2 cent and say I really enjoy playing dark maverick in legacy. Similar to junk in that it's a good stuffs deck but leaning more towards hatebears and extremely flexible lists. I only run 4 duals (bayou, scrub land, 2 savannah). No rhinos but you get stoneforge package and thalia, plus all star knight of the Reliquary. Lots of flex spots to play with.

But now I just goof off with enchantress when I have the time to play legacy.

Also modern is great right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

People keep saying this but I keep running into the same aggro/combo decks I airways have and find myself hoping for my sideboard cards more than I find myself hoping to have an interesting game.

There's more viable decks than ever before and I find people now are actually having to piece their sideboards together more carefully now than before. Complaining about aggro/combo is kinda pointless if you want to play Magic in general but control decks are actually more viable now than before as well.

This is all a moot point if you only want to play known bad deck blue tron, but you should know what you're getting into when you choose to play that anyway. This is coming from a place of love for the deck too, as I own it and enjoy playing it myself sometimes at weekly events.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I know.

My problem isn't that they exist, it's that they're still the majority of viable decks and there's still not really a reason to play a non-linear deck. And control is still a joke.

Hey, I said "yet!" Angler comes pretty close sometimes.

But they aren't? Highest percentage of any deck played in the format is jund at 7%. There is no "majority" in modern anymore. Infect and affinity are the next two most played at 6% and 5% respectively, and infect is actually kinda bad in the meta right now but people still play it. Jeskai nahiri is the 5th most played and came in 4th and 9th at GP LA and Charlotte and is actually a pretty good deck.

Most of your comments about the format seem to come completely from a bit of a sour personal point of view but the numbers recently don't agree. In 15 rounds at GP Charlotte I played against 10 different decks off the top of my head, more in the GPT/challenge I did Friday. Sorry your personal experience hasn't been good, might just be your local scene. I don't want people to be discouraged to try modern when it's actually in a really good place now.

Legacy is fun too and I love pauper until peregrine Drake ruins it. It's me, I'm the guy that actually has fun playing magic (except EDH).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Zoness posted:

pretty hosed up if one of the coolest block decks ever can't hack it in an all common format imo.

also i dont think ug madness played mongeese but i honestly dont remember. realistically what im saying is why isnt there a threshold deck gently caress this format.

I'll probably try it again with mongoose but I've tried to force pauper UG madness to exist for a while and it just doesn't get there like other decks. I played with a list similar to the above but also with careful study, waterfront bouncer, and aether burst. What ends up happening is your hand doesn't quite stay full enough and you end up without the reach or evasion to close a game. The old UG madness deck played multiples of Wonder, which the Pauper deck desperately needs to close a lot of games.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Anyone messed around with W/r enchantment prison lately? I know it was popular with goons a while back. I got a couple blood moons and need to add another deck to my collection of loaner decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

So I'd like to talk about a decklist today. Specifically, this decklist: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/420679#online

I'm mainly interested in sideboard choices and the Jund matchup. Why run Linvala in the board when Pod isn't a card anymore? For the mirror/Infect? What can this deck do to not get pasted by Jund? What decks are Eidolon and Teeg being brought in against (Eidolon especially, isn't Storm dead)? Is the deck really so reliant on the combo that Twisted Image is a good sideboard card for Spellskite?

Linvala is still great- stops abzan company combo, stops arcbound ravager, steel overseer, and spellskite, stops griselbrand and borborygmos, stops opposing knights, stops elf players. I play one in the sideboard of my junk deck and it's been great.

Teeg is for Tron, abzan company, and Scapeshift.

That deck can win just fine without the combo. I actually played against Kassis last round of day 1 at GP Charlotte and we ended up playing grindy beatdown games because I spent my removal keeping him off combo. Most of the cards in the deck are good individually. Seems fine against jund too thanks to being able to grind, company is great against jund and so are cards like voice.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Or understand when the entire community is calling for a ban on a deck, there's a chance it'll happen.

With no modern pro tour, there's less likely to be any more shake-up bans. Nothing is oppressive right now, so it's doubtful there will be any bans for a while.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

I'm trying to find a cheap modern deck that I can gradually build into something competitive. Right now I'm looking at either building a super cheapskate version of Kiki Chord or Abzan Company (shittier manabase, replace Noble Hierarch with some other mana dork, etc.) or building a budget UR delver deck and working my way into Jeskai control or Grixis delver. Any advice?

I honestly don't know how you could build abzan company or kiki chord on a low budget without it being terrible. You could try for a UR delver style list, by either going for UR prowess or delver with young pyro. The young Pyro build wants Snapcasters way more than a prowess build though. If you did a prowess deck with a base of something like:

4x delver of secrets
4x Monastery Swifts pear
4x stormchaser mage
4x abbot of keral keep

4x bolt
4x gitaxian probe
4x serum visions

And fill out the rest with probably mishra's bauble, forked bolt, electrolyze, vapor snag, and whatever else, 18-20 land, it could probably be pretty budget friendly. Could also replace stormchaser with young pyro too. UR delver isn't great right now but once you get Snapcasters you could go towards grixis delver, which is actually a cool and good deck.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 26, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

Lava spike as well. The Grixis version gets Gurmag Anglers, which essentially turn into 1 to cast 5/5s with how fast you're planning to cycle cards to enable prowess, the Grixis version also runs Thought Scour, which is another way to power your prowess creatures and get stuff in the yard for the Gurmanglers

This could work too. The lava spikes would be good in straight UR prowess probably, I was just thinking of a 2 color list since he mentioned starting on a budget. I forgot to mention mutagenic growth, which I'd play in a UR prowess deck. Thought scours into gurmag/tasigur is exactly what the real grixis delver decks want to be doing though, yeah. I like the versions that run delver, snaps, angler/tasigur and young peezy with bolts and tons of spot removal, but the manabase can be a bit expensive that way.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Stormchaser Mage
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mana Leak
2 Spell Snare
4 Serum Visions
2 Electrolyze
4 Gitaxian Probe
1 Dismember
2 Spell Pierce
1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2 Vapor Snag
2 Sulfur Falls
10 Island
8 Mountain
2 Steam Vents

Sounds like the consensus is to go for delver, would a list like this be a good place to start for ~$150?

Like other said, stormchaser is a bad replacement for Snapcaster. The counterspell heavy plan is kinda weak without snaps but a more aggressive route is playable without snaps. I threw this list together in 5 minutes so I'm sure it could use some optimizing but it can be built for under $150:

http://deckbox.org/sets/1445750

Kinda going off memory from a UR delver prowess deck Patrick Chapin played a year ago, but his had an actual green splash to it. The only "odd" card is mishra's bauble because it's only other use is in suicide zoo, so I'm sure you could replace it with something cheap. It's great in this deck though, being zero mana and replacing itself. I'd replace it with more burn and a dismember if you don't want to spend the money on baubles. Also the manabase needs improving but I was trying to keep it under $150 for you.

Another option you can make is bushwacker zoo without the goblin guides, but that deck wants a lot of fetches. Deck is super cheap without fetches and guides though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AgentSythe posted:

when you get hierarchs you should get that thrun outta there and play wilt-leaf liege since your plan is just to smash face with huge idiots. i also think i want some number of RIP with Dredge running around (and you also have no goyfs)

He can't play RiP because he's running Lingering Souls, voices, and kitchen finks.

Also I think I may have been the one to originally suggest the Thrun because I ran one maindeck at GP Charlotte in anticipation of jeskai Nahiri decks and it was fantastic all weekend. Wilt-Leaf would be better if you're expecting more creature based matchups.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AgentSythe posted:

okay but RIP turns off their whole deck

OK but it's not a bad matchup to begin with and he has 3 Scavenging Ooze maindeck, still not worth the sideboard slots. Only sideboard hate I play in my version is 2 surgical extraction.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Tim Raines IRL posted:

thoughts on Eldritch Evolution in Elves? In a typical Natural Order build, it seems really, really bad -- but in Chaos Elves, it's another way to find a t2/t3 Teeg, and just as importantly, we can still cast this with Teeg on the board.

I was about to respond assuming you were talking about modern elves but are you referring to playing it in addition to natural order in legacy elves?

Somewhat related, Jeff Hoogland put 4 of them in his kiki chord deck and went down to 3 chords for the classic this weekend. I think they're a steal at $5 each. Card is real good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

North Carolina BBQ is much better imo.

Correct. Too bad we don't get any more GP's thanks to House Bill 2.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Gerry Thompson seems to be a big fan of the card in Grixis decks. I'm going to pick some up at $20 or under. The card has a lot of potential still.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Thisuck posted:

It's a nice card in Grixis, but for any tempo based decks like Delvers of all varieties, the card is not what you want to be using to achieve your goal.

Right, I agree Snapcaster is the better card choice there. They fill similar slots cmc wise but I think the cards serve two different purposes. Slower grindy decks I like Jace VP, especially tasigur decks.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Modern is great and it's just fnm, take it and have fun. People probably expect your mill now, mix it up and goof around a bit. Same reason I play my bad pet decks sometimes at modern night.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Has anyone tried a Rock deck with grim flayer and new Liliana? They seem like good additions in those colors. The answer is probably no, like usual, but maybe one day straight BG will be good enough. I really want to cast Phyrexian Obliterator one day.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

Would new lilly really be better than old lilly in a rock shell?

Obliterator seems like the only card you really get going GB over Jund, and you lose a lot of awesome cards like Kolahan's Command and a great man-land.

Oh I know. There's always something to be said for having near perfect mana all the time like you'll get in a dedicated 2 color deck as well. I imagine you'd play both Lilianas but the new one and flayer work really well together. I really want to try the new Liliana more in modern, being able to recurr value creatures and having extra card advantage in black seems great.

Also curious if Distended Mindbender could get used in modern. Saccing a finks or something similar (mono black with geralfs messenger maybe) to get a 5/5 and double duress on turn 4 seems good, don't know if it's worth the effort in modern though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Living the dream of T3 Messenger, T4 attack for 3, sac for Mindbender sounds like the best thing ever so I want to make that happen now.

The dream is turn 3 new Liliana, turn 4 siege rhino, turn 5 swing 4, sac rhino to mindbender,- 2 Liliana get back rhino. I can dream.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You just hate Jund

Yeah but he's actually right, enough people haven't figured it out yet though.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Access to anger/pyroclasm/KoCo/bloodmoon is pretty good though. Low cost sweepers is pretty useful as well as two for ones.

I think modern sucks balls but I'm more of a jund fan than an abzan fan.

I mean obviously those red cards are good and jund is good, that wasn't the comment he was making. The statement is more that junk is in a good spot right now with the cards it offers. Jund is also very popular right now which makes junk even better because it wins that matchup. Jund is never bad but there are times where junk is a better option based on the metagame.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
One suggestion I'll make is that once you learn your local meta, if it's got lots of breach decks or nahiri decks, basically anything that runs anger and bolt as removal, try Loxodon Smiter in place of kitchen finks.

Hope you don't have a lot of tron. I'll tell you a fun card I've discovered for the tron matchup since we last discussed the deck: Obzedat, Ghost Council. They're required to have an O Stone to deal with it, just keep your paths for ulamog and Wurmcoil engine. No one expects it and it's been kinda great lately.

Also try a westvale abbey sometime! Dunno if I mentioned that last time but that card is fun and synergistic with your death triggers and token producing cards.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

uninverted posted:

Abrupt decay is way better.

They're not even the same thing, other than costing 2. Abrupt Decay is generally better if you're looking at removal, yeah, but d-command has some hypothetical uses. Maindeck anger of the gods is somewhat expected these days, plus it can reset a kitchen finks. If the deck is creature dense it's probably good enough as a removal spell against certain decks like affinity. If your deck only uses black as a small splash then d-command might be better to have if you're worried about blood moon. All depends on what he expects to see locally.

Normally I agree about decay but just saying something is better when they're two very different cards without any discussion isn't super helpful. That said, if you're just lookin for removal and mana isn't a problem, decay is the safest answer.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Anger insurance + Finks renewal is mainly what I had in mind, yeah. Again though, I'm not sure what to expect so I'm going kind of general for the time being to feel things out (I also put the Thoughtseizes MB and moved a Finks, Ooze, and Path to the SB)

Local nights are the best nights to try new cards for sure. You never know what works until you give it a spin. I was goofing off at locals for 2 weeks with the most GW deck ever just because a friend made fun of me for saying I liked Advent of the Wurm when it was in standard, and I had fun using Dromoka's command. I think it has potential as a modern sideboard card in the right deck, especially if breach and nahiri decks get popular where you are.

If I didn't want to practice for an IQ next weekend I'd probably sleeve some Advents back up and have some fun again, I loved the voice/smiter/advent standard deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I like the idea of them in abzan a lot, although they pair best with tarmogoyf obviously. Filtering draws while dumping lingering souls in the yard seems great. You can also run maindeck nihil spellbomb as a playable artifact instead of mishra's bauble to add to delirium and goyf power.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Got 3rd at an IQ yesterday with GW hatebears. Happy but also frustrated, the guy I lost to in top 4 was someone I beat in rounds and the rest of the top 4 were winnable matchups. Just happens sometimes.

Also there was discussion before about trying Thalia, Heretic Cathar in bears so I tested it a bit before the IQ. It just doesn't feel... proactive enough? For a 3 mana card it just gets killed too easy and I was much, much happier with an Aven Mindcensor instead. In 2 games against a Jeskai player Mindcensor cost him 7 lands.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

I've literally never had Mindcensor snipe a land.

I've done it quite a lot. I quit playing bears for a long time and decided to give it a shot this weekend and only played 1 mindcensor and I'm glad I did. Had about a 50% success rate of opponents wasting a fetch in games where I played it, but I played merfolk twice so I boarded it out in the first 5 rounds. I'm also playing the 4 flickerwisp/4 resto angel version so it was easier to protect it.

Also played a singleton Selfless Spirit and the card had a really high performance rating for me.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

It's the first halfway competitive deck I've ever actually wanted to play in modern so hopefully it turns out to be real. Is there any kind of concensus on UW vs. Bant? UW seems like the much more common build.

I think it's too new and relatively unproven for there to be a general consensus. It's basically less lands and vials vs CoCo and sideboard options. If tribal spirits doesn't work out you can also try UW hatebears, uses some of the same cards but no tribal stuff.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ThePeavstenator posted:

How many Rhinos in Junk? I'm running 23 land + 3 Hierarchs. I've got 3 in the list right now.

2-4. Kind of a preference thing. I personally like 3 myself, a lot of decks really struggle to deal with rhino.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

So what's the mana base look like in Modern Naya Burn without Arid Mesas and Scalding Tarns? Does the deck work with the Khans fetches that are much more affordable?

Mountain is the only basic in the deck so as long as it's a red fetch it doesn't matter.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Voyager I posted:

Problem is that without Arid Mesa you only have one set of those.

But yeah, if there's one deck that can probably get away with paying extra life to budget fetches, I can't imagine a better candidate than Burn.

You get mires and Foothills, so 8 fetches total. Depending on how many grim lavamancer and searing blaze you are running, it's not a huge detriment to only have 2 sets of fetches. You're right though, burn can spare some tweaks to the manabase. Do people still play copperline gorge?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I ran 19 lands with 4 foothills, 4 mires, 2 mesas, 2 foundries, 2 stomping grounds, 1 cinder glade, 4 mountains.

Cinder glade seems kinda bad, you want all your lands to come into play untapped in the first 2-3 turns. Copperline gorge or even another stomping ground seems better imo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
A friend and I were talking about getting to play more legacy again, so I figured I'd browse around for ideas to update my junk maverick deck. Why is Garruk Relentless suddenly showing up so much in maverick decks? It's in a lot of maindecks and often in the sideboard if not. I've been away from legacy for a while and haven't actually played since eldrazi was a thing.

I'm liking the inclusion of the handful of tireless trackers, and it's neat to see that Thalia, Heretic Cathar is way better in legacy than modern.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The miracles matchup makes sense. Weird that it wasn't a more common card in that case a year ago when I was actively playing legacy.

Also I'm only a playset of ancient Tomb and 2 city of traitors from building eldrazi but I didn't realize city had gotten quite so high in price. Plus eldrazi are less fun than deathrite shamans and KotR.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

ETM had a controversial judge ruling on a chalice.

Player a casts chalice on 1.
Player a casts pithing needle. It resolves.
Passes turn to player b.
Player b untaps and notices the missed the chalice trigger.

The judge ruled the pithing needle stays in play. Current procedure dictates that a missed trigger gets added to the stack at the moment it was missed. In this case, the missed chalice trigger goes on the stack, but pithing needle is already in play and therefore there is nothing to counter.

I agree that it was handled by the book, but It seems like everyone agrees that re-winding in this specific case would have been a much better solution.

I wonder if we could add a little discretion for these situations. Perhaps allowing the game state to be re-wound if both players and the judge agree to do it. Of course this opens up the possibility for player a to rule scum his opponent and not allow the re-wind. It jus seems impossible to have a ruleset that will always find the correct option, so I feel there should be some avenue to customize the option for the specific setting.

Why would you rewind there though? It's the chalice's owner's responsibility to remember that trigger. Playing into a chalice to see if your opponent is paying attention is perfectly reasonable. I suppose if nothing else happened to the boardstate then yeah, you could argue for a rewind but it's still a legal play and a textbook ruling.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

It was Player A missing his own chalice trigger.

Ohhh well I misread that and made some incorrect assumptions. Then yeah, I disagree with that ruling.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I still don't understand the logic of letting player A keep the pithing needle after he missed his own chalice, especially with no real progression in board state. It seems to imply that player B has a responsibility to keep up with the chalice triggers and that player A can attempt to play into his own chalice and hope B doesn't notice. It's always been my understanding that you aren't allowed to miss you own triggers that would have a negative effect on yourself.

That's like saying it's ok for a burn player to not announce Eidolon triggers when they cast spells and keep the life if it isn't noticed in time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Stronghold gambit is some neat sideboard tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have landed a Worship on one life against Affinity and Burn more than once and it feels a lot like cheating

E: Eldrazi, Suicide Zoo and Merfolk all hate this one weird trick to piss off an aggro player too!!

Fun story: last classic I played in, game 3 against burn I was at 3 and slammed a worship on the table. He called a judge (apparently asking about skullcrack getting around it), then shook my hand and said congrats you win. Worship is great.