Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Every viable deck in every format sucks. Ban Gitaxian Probe, Chalice of the Void, Deathrite, every delve card but the original 3 and Temporal Trespass, Griselbrand, restrict Gush, unrestrict Lodestone, ban Eidolon, Inkmoth, Mox Opal, Ensnaring Bridge, and everything with Hexproof except for Geist and Thrun in modern. Then ban modern and get rid of the reserved list.

Then quit it all and play Pauper because it's the only format WotC hasn't ruined yet.

empathe posted:

My match 2 opponent was terrible as well. He went through tons of manipulation to try to find a 3-drop to counter my Clique and then later a Venser both of which were cast via Cavern...

MTGO opponents are mostly terrible. You should come to legacy tomorrow. We started kinda late last week.

This has been a genuine suicidesteve hatepost brought to you by suicidesteve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Also modern is great right now.

People keep saying this but I keep running into the same aggro/combo decks I airways have and find myself hoping for my sideboard cards more than I find myself hoping to have an interesting game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Ive been waiting for this post since the OP

I know.

There's more viable decks than ever before and I find people now are actually having to piece their sideboards together more carefully now than before. Complaining about aggro/combo is kinda pointless if you want to play Magic in general but control decks are actually more viable now than before as well.

My problem isn't that they exist, it's that they're still the majority of viable decks and there's still not really a reason to play a non-linear deck. And control is still a joke.

Static Equilibrium posted:

You may have to stop saying this once EMA drops because that Peregrine Drake deck someone posted in the thunder dome thread looks like the worst thing.

Hey, I said "yet!" Angler comes pretty close sometimes.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

But they aren't? Highest percentage of any deck played in the format is jund at 7%. There is no "majority" in modern anymore. Infect and affinity are the next two most played at 6% and 5% respectively, and infect is actually kinda bad in the meta right now but people still play it. Jeskai nahiri is the 5th most played and came in 4th and 9th at GP LA and Charlotte and is actually a pretty good deck.

Most of your comments about the format seem to come completely from a bit of a sour personal point of view but the numbers recently don't agree. In 15 rounds at GP Charlotte I played against 10 different decks off the top of my head, more in the GPT/challenge I did Friday. Sorry your personal experience hasn't been good, might just be your local scene. I don't want people to be discouraged to try modern when it's actually in a really good place now.

Legacy is fun too and I love pauper until peregrine Drake ruins it. It's me, I'm the guy that actually has fun playing magic (except EDH).

Sure but I don't care at all about GPs. I care about MTGO because that's the only place I realistically get to play modern more than once a year, and all I ever play against is burn/burn pretending it's zoo, infect, Ad Nauseam, Dredge, Storm, basically anything except the decks that actually lead to interesting games. I still have yet to see any evidence that the UWR deck is actually good instead of not wildly unplayable like control used to be.

So sure maybe modern is fun if you play at GPs or something but on MTGO it's as terrible as it's ever been and until WotC actually starts caring about card accessibility it's going to keep being a terrible goldfish fest.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I can't wait to not spend $100 to play EMA sealed!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mongoose seems terrible in a world full of edicts and 1 mana 5/5s. If there was a land that had island and forest as land types so you could Land Grant for an Island I'd see it being very good in a Gro type deck. Or maybe UG Delver will still be a thing. Idunno, but my brewing attempts have been remarkably unsuccessful.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Why are you only playing 8? They are great with Searing Blaze too.

Presumably because lol @ Tarns and Mesas.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

Pretty hosed up that Wizards left the best deck in the format, the Mighty Quinn, out of the gauntlet

Also, extremely hosed up that a bunch of people have explained Nic Fit and have neglected to mention you're obligated to run at least one sideboard Tsunami. it's actually in the rules.

What if you're playing BUG Nic Fit?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Yep, turns out having an absurdly easy deck to play which is also extremely powerful and can auto-win the game on turn 1 30% of the time is not a good thing. Shocking, I know.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

So the Death and Taxes deck in the top 8 ran Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter, I figured Fiend Hunter would be better since you can possibly Flickerwisp while the ETB was on the stack and remove 2 creatures. Is there a reason to run the Banisher Priest instead of Fiend Hunter besides the 1 extra power?

Warping Wail.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rogue0071 posted:

Legacy is the greatest format.

http://imgur.com/a/5nRLi

Good. They deserve everything they get.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

What the hell kind of Legacy deck is running all of these together? Wanna meet that deck.

Blood Moon was in Sneak and Show, the rest are presumably in Nic Fit Pod?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

You win the prize. Blood Moon was particularly bad against me.

That was the thing I was confused about. Why was Blood Moon in against the 8 basic land deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

This is my favorite. Joe Lossett vs. Bahra is also a really good one that I'll watch from time to time when I need to be reminded that I'll never be as good at Death and Taxes as Bahra is.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

I've heard the sentiment that Goyf is bad now. What changed to make that so?

None of the decks that play it are good, it's slow, it's bad against Pyromancer, Swords, Eldrazi, Moat, Rest in Peace, Angler, etc.

It still seems fine in modern though if you want to make a mistake and play a fair deck in modern.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

So we've basically come full-circle back to the "no evasion, no way to protect itself, no value if it dies right away" reason people thought it was underwhelming when it first got spoiled?

Pretty much. 10 years later and it turns out they were right. It was never the best creature in any deck it was in but it filled the "giant idiot that kills them really fast" slot, except the decks that need that kind of thing have 1 mana 5/5s now. Between Angler and Deathrite, you're making a mistake if you're playing one of those decks and you're not playing black.

Basically what I'm saying is Khans block ruined every format.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Please keep in mind steve exaggerates like a motherfucker and goyf is still a really loving good creature.

Name a good deck in legacy that plays it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Shardless? Bug Delver?

I don't think anyone plays BUG Delver because it's just a worse version of 4 color, and Shardless will never be a good deck to me.

Elyv posted:

lol

this could be true now, but it was certainly not true in the past

E: steve really hates shardless

Maybe at one point but that hasn't been true in at least 4 years. Delver/Mongoose has always been better in RUG Delver depending on the deck you were playing against, Delver/Confidant/Deathrite was almost always better in BUG. The only time Goyf was ever the best creature in my deck was in the RUG Delver mirrors.

Edit: I guess Goyf is also the best top deck on a clear board when both players are on empty, but that's not a very common thing.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

Let's talk about the objectively best eternal format, which is Pauper

What is everyone doing in pauper? I'm not particularly revolutionary and have been trying out elvish vanguard, shaving a few visionaries and sometimes a priest of titania. It has been Pretty Good but just making a big idiot isn't that interesting.

i've also tried making UG Canadian Threshold work, and as sweet of a card as Temporal Spring is, it is not going well

Mostly not playing it because Peregrine Drake is ruining it.

UG really needs a land that has island and forest types so you can get an island with with Land Grant. I've been trying to brew something up that's close to old school Gro lists with like 12 lands but it really badly needs a good threat and the aforementioned dual.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

Trop should be a common, imo. easily the worst blue dual

i haven't really been playing online, just in paper with some bros. does peregrine drake really ruin the format? needing to have five lands already do do mnemonic wall/ghostly flicker poo poo seems a lot worse than cloud of faeries

It doesn't need bounce lands, Familiars, or mulitple colors and Peregrine Drake, Archaeomancer, Ghostly Flicker is infinite with no other help.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why run Linvala in the board when Pod isn't a card anymore? For the mirror/Infect? What can this deck do to not get pasted by Jund? What decks are Eidolon and Teeg being brought in against (Eidolon especially, isn't Storm dead)? Is the deck really so reliant on the combo that Twisted Image is a good sideboard card for Spellskite?

Pod is still a deck it just doesn't play Pod plus she stops Spellskites, probably nothing, Teeg hoses Tron a little, Eidolon stops Storm and slows down decks like infect and burn, Twisted Image is reasonable against Hierarch/BoP decks too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Network42 posted:

If you count the premium deck series as a promo burn can be 100% promos. Even if you don't count it I think you can come pretty close.

Swiftspear?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Oh right, I was thinking Eidolon was after they started giving you any rare as your promo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Goblins I believe has everything but the manabase.

Are we counting FTV? Presumably we are.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

To this day I wish they'd have left Pod legal and changed the format so Pod wasn't too good. Pod was so much fun to play against.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Thisuck posted:

Also play with! Pod was an insanely fun deck to pilot and play against, there were so many lines of play with that deck.

I don't think I've ever cast the card (though I did Comandeer one in Commander once,) but all of my favorite games of modern were against Pod. Much more interesting and interactive than anything that exists now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

So is Dredge in Modern a real deck now or is it overhyped nonsense?

It's yet another "draw your sideboard card or you probably lose" deck that the format is already full of except it also randomly loses to itself a lot.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

What makes it lose to itself? The lack of Bridge and a reliable sac outlet?

It randomly draws the cards in the wrong order, doesn't have a Faithless Looting, doesn't have a Bridge, doesn't have a Gargadon, etc. Basically it's all the worst parts of combo without most of the good parts of combo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Network42 posted:

I feel like you're talking about something very different than modern dredge.

Nope.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Luckily in their infinite wisdom, and in anticipation of this exact problem, WotC has produced a magical card to circumvent this issue entirely.

It's also worth noting that there is a Plains that can cast Hammer Mage.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Jabor posted:

There are actually two different ones, though obviously one of them is a lot better than the other.

There's three if a Blood Moon is out!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

will food chain be any good with the 3-drop play-from-exile dude? What would a list drop to add that, maybe 2 misthollow and.....?

A. It will never be good.

2. Why would it drop the card it can use to cast Force of Will and still get value out of it?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why would it need to drop it?

Having more copies of Misthollow isn't necessarily bad, and it allows you to follow a Baleful Strix directly into it on turn 3, or curve a dork into strix into it turn 2.

Idunno why it would drop it. Ask the person whose post I quoted.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

Depends entirely on what you want to be able to "cross over" into. Infect gets you forces, duals, fetches, Daretti stax gets you sol lands (which are obviously blowin' up right now) and possible other random stuff that has cross appeal like chalice and mox diamond (i am making assumptions about your list). Sol lands also turn into an actual good deck right now so you can't really go wrong

also, anyone playing doomsday in legacy right now? i saw it top 8'd a super iq or whatever the sunday events are called but I'm not convinced it is better than ANT. still, seems sweet.

The only real difference between Doomsday and ANT is when you cast Ad Nauseam or Tendrils in ANT you win the game, and when you cast Doomsday you tank for 40 seconds, realize you screwed up the pile, and scoop.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Striges*

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

I have a dilemna. Should I register 4x moat for an upcoming legacy tournament, or 4x chains of mephistopheles? Or try to brew something with both.

*insert "why not both?" GIF here*

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Chains doesn't do anything against D&T or Eldrazi.

4x Moat + something for delvers and deathrites, win all day errday.

Chains stops SoFI and Endbringer.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

Are we just being pedantic here or are we pretending this is a reason to run chains against those decks?

This is the Something Awful internet comedy forums. What do you think?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

empathe posted:

Please don't kill Miracles. The issue is bad players / slow toppers, not power level.

Yep. Just ban Terminus and I'll be happy. And Peregrine Drake.

Also restrict Gush already JFC WotC really? We've had 2 non-blue restrictions because of blue cards warping the format, can we just get rid of blue card that's causing the problem?!

And unban Earthcraft or whatever who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Kraus posted:

The banned list is for format-warping cards, not for cards that require practice.

Tell that to Chaos Orb and Falling Star.