Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I live in a house with lots of roommates. So, sometimes during heavy usage times, the internet is particularly poo poo.

I'm ok with that, it's the price of splitting the bill 8 ways. I can always try and use it when others aren't around. However, lately, our internet connection is completely unusable all the loving time (nearly). >350ms ping, spiking wildly sometimes up to 2s

I've been trying to do my own troubleshooting on this matter and I think I have ruled out the hardware in the house. So the remaining possible culprits are the ISP, and the users (my roommates).

I need help knowing what to do to troubleshoot further, for instance: is it throttling from excessive torrenting, etc? I am not the one who holds the account with the ISP, so I don't know anything about that at all.

Is it potentially our (relatively small) upload pipe getting clogged? (sometimes when I run a speedtest.net it can't finish the test and just hangs on 0.0mbps upload)

The download pipe usually seems wide open, even when I'm having issues, certain things can download very fast. But anything requiring a callback (like torrent peers for instance) drops almost immediately.

When I run a pingtest, if it's acting up, I get thrown to a server hundreds of miles away with ludicrous ping. If it's not acting up, my ping is 5ms to a server nearby.

Onto the social aspect...

Has anybody experienced the roommate internet = hosed situation before? How do I handle this? I mean I could be heavy-handed and go and ask everyone to show me their computers so I can figure out who has dropbox to auto-sync, torrent programs to auto-startup and other such bullshit, but that seems like it could only end badly. Do I ram a stick up the rear end of the guy who holds the ISP account to get him to do literally anything about it? Do I just live with it and forget the notion of online gaming, or skype, or streaming media despite paying for internet?

gently caress, poo poo is FUUUCKED, and I'm at the end of my rope here, seems anytime I try to do anything ping-related it's a big :nope:

kinda tempted to just go for the final option, murder everyone in the house and have peace and quiet (and fast internet) for a few days at least. That was a joke, don't send police plz. :shepicide:

But seriously, help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
There's a lot of factors it could be. What kind of router are you using? Cheap home routers are intended for only a couple light users and won't handle heavy usage, or especially multiple heavy users at once. A good router will also show you the activity of individual users. Are you plugged in via cables or all on WiFi? Does it work better if you plug in versus on WiFi? How fast is the internet connection overall?

It may make the most sense to just buy a good router and enable Quality of Service to allow the connection to be shared with less impact to other users.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread