Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig guts

for some reason i got an urge to try to pick up drawing. i'm into stuff done in ink, so grabbed some fine felt marker pen things, and extra fine ball point pens. any pointers on where to start? a little background on my art experience: i suck really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I still totally suck at drawing, but less so than before. The key to sucking less, is the same as with pretty much any other skill: keep doing it a bunch.

A pointer on where to start:
There are a bunch of differet timed "sketch from reference" websites, that throw stock images of posing people at you at timed intervals, your task being to sketch them. I found doing this really helped me get more confident with my lines and also just helped me with the mechanics of my hand a bunch.

Another thing I did, which I found helpful was to do two pieces each day, nothing huge, but two drawings I could label as "complete" and I'd pick my favorite and I'd save it away in a gallery. That way I could look back and see constant improvement, and learn to spot my own mistakes and stuff like that.

Salmiakki

i only do art as a hobby but i can offer some advice

if you ever want to do digital art, dont rush in and buy a tablet right away. learn how to draw things traditionally first because using a tablet can be very difficult to get used to

draw from real life and study anatomy, even if you want to have a style that isnt necessarily true to life. every good artist starts out this way

draw every day and keep practicing

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Salmiakki

similar advice in this thread just dont do what the op did in the end and you should be good http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766128

ty cat dynamite

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat
this is the one I'm using to learn!

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Salmiakki posted:

draw every day and keep practising

</thread>

pig guts

thanks for the advice, i'm going through that other byob thread and there's good stuff in there too. i definitely wanna just start with paper because i'm starting from 0. like i can't draw whatsoever. i guess to narrow it down, HOW do you practice? i've found little warm ups people do on youtube and stuff but i'm not sure where to go next after connecting dots in one stroke, drawing circles til your wrist hurts, etc.

shinmai

CHK Instruction

pig guts posted:

thanks for the advice, i'm going through that other byob thread and there's good stuff in there too. i definitely wanna just start with paper because i'm starting from 0. like i can't draw whatsoever. i guess to narrow it down, HOW do you practice? i've found little warm ups people do on youtube and stuff but i'm not sure where to go next after connecting dots in one stroke, drawing circles til your wrist hurts, etc.

I'd say just draw a lot of portraits from reference. That's why I like those quick-sketching sites I linked, they have basically unlimited amounts of reference photos, and you can set your own pace and just draw draw draw without having to fiddle with the computer or change from your drawing position.

Drawing from reference helps you become more confident with your strokes and drawing humanoids also helps develop a sense for proportions and scale.

pig guts

okay, i'll try to start there. thanks!

Android Blues

good luck op! drawing is very rewarding, exciting, feels good to do and have done, etc. and you really can get there with time and practise

Darkman Fanpage
drawing is good for conveying funny ideas likr a duck drinking a milkshake. you could say "a duck drinking a milkshake" but a person might not find it as funny as you did because they're not getting the same imagery in their head as you did. with drawing you can properly illustrate your funny idea. now the duck drinking the milkshake is really funny.

BoldFrankensteinMir

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, especially the call to practice, practice practice. Matisse said that every painter has ten thousand bad paintings in them that they have to get through before they can get to the good ones. So go out and do ten thousand bad drawings, and you'll be on your way.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, especially the call to practice, practice practice. Matisse said that every painter has ten thousand bad paintings in them that they have to get through before they can get to the good ones. So go out and do ten thousand bad drawings, and you'll be on your way.

pretty much this

the three places you draw from are your head (has the most heart), a picture (has the heart of the person who framed the scene in their head and then took the picture) or real/still life (you are trying to capture nature's heart and convey the beauty)

try to break things down to shapes and if necessary grid out your drawings when first drawing from pictures. do one picture, theme, or subject over and over again (sunsets, flowers, trees, mice, etc.) Then choose a new one and do that one. go back and forth to your reference and get better at sizing and placing your objects.

in your mind find points of reference that will let you get the proper perspective and size.

work on pencil pressure and identifying your lights and darks within the picture you're drawing from, pretty much always the darkest part of your picture will be in the cast shadow

try drawing themes or subjects you are comfortable with from real life or set up still lifes. get comfortable with your lights and darks and where they fall depending on the light. where are your shadows, what parts of the scene need detail and which do not, don't let yourself go into your mind to draw something because you know what it looks like, look at the picture and see what is visible from the picture's perspective

that would be my advice to you :shrug:

FluffieDuckie

Darkman Fanpage posted:

drawing is good for conveying funny ideas likr a duck drinking a milkshake. you could say "a duck drinking a milkshake" but a person might not find it as funny as you did because they're not getting the same imagery in their head as you did. with drawing you can properly illustrate your funny idea. now the duck drinking the milkshake is really funny.

this is why i want to draw better. there have been so many times a post has made me think of a funny image that would fit perfectly but i have zero way to convey that image so that funny thought dies in my head

tldr: i'm much funnier than any of you realize

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

BoldFrankensteinMir

If there are a bunch of people in BYOB who want to practice drawing, could we do some kinda illustration subject-swap megathread? I hang out with other illustrators sometimes and it's fun to swap goofy ideas, like you tell your friend to draw a venus fly-trap in a nurse's costume and in return she tells you to draw a toilet robot playing sports, and you share your fast silly drawings, have some laughs, and bam, two more out of the way on the path to competence.

Sig by Heather Papps

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

If there are a bunch of people in BYOB who want to practice drawing, could we do some kinda illustration subject-swap megathread? I hang out with other illustrators sometimes and it's fun to swap goofy ideas, like you tell your friend to draw a venus fly-trap in a nurse's costume and in return she tells you to draw a toilet robot playing sports, and you share your fast silly drawings, have some laughs, and bam, two more out of the way on the path to competence.

That would be great, actually.

FluffieDuckie

please start this thread

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

shinmai

CHK Instruction

FluffieDuckie posted:

please start this thread

HighwireAct

Pozzo's Hat

FluffieDuckie posted:

please start this thread

BoldFrankensteinMir

Here we go, y'all.

Also I'm an idiot, it wasn't Matisse it was Chuck Jones :cripes:

Sig by Heather Papps

shinmai

CHK Instruction
I wouldn't fret confusing two great artists :)

A Spider Covets

i draw a lot and sometimes i sell my draws for grocery store money

it's good

my advice is to think of shapes and things you'd like to draw. do you enjoy hard edges, straight lines? more organic lines? this will determine a lot of what you draw. i remember when i was a kid starting out i did a lot of animal doodles and landscape. nowadays i mostly draw people or i do cartoon portraits of customer's pets for them, but it's still following the same organic lines/subject matter that i liked when i was little.

also don't start out with the expensive version of -any- material right away. try the cheap one first. if you like using it, you can practice more, improve, and eventually invest in nicer tools. one thing i recommend to everyone though is to buy a set of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Prismacolor-Col-Erase-Erasable-Assorted-20517/dp/B000089DCH

they're fantastic for sketching (nice and smooth), professionals use them, and they're cheap. just don't believe their lies, they don't erase any better than a normal pencil. always sketch lightly for this reason (plus if you press too hard with your pencil, it will leave grooves on the page, and no amount of erasing can get rid of that).

you mentioned you like ink - i recommend building up your skills, familiarizing yourself with the medium, and then trying Black Cat Ink + a calligraphy pen. you'll make a mess, so set up an area first (newspaper is your friend), but your lines will get smoother over time and the physical motion of dipping the pen then swooping your lines is really enjoyable imo. if you want to get a hand on the motions first before your life gets covered in ink blots, try practicing with a brush-ink pen like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pentel-Pocket...entel+brush+pen

and most importantly... have fun!! :)

e: i agree with the poster who said you should draw traditionally first before getting a tablet (also if you save up for one just get a cintiq, it's worth it). i learned to draw with pencils, moved on to using the calligraphy method above, then started with digital, and it helped me a lot since a lot of the principles of tools in Photoshop are based on their real-life counterparts.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 4, 2016

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Android Blues

cintiqs sound crazy good and all but i'm comfy with my old monoprice. to cintiq owners, is it worth splurgin when you're already used to something else? like, obviously it's better but is it better enough to justify the cost in that case. thank you

A Spider Covets

Android Blues posted:

cintiqs sound crazy good and all but i'm comfy with my old monoprice. to cintiq owners, is it worth splurgin when you're already used to something else? like, obviously it's better but is it better enough to justify the cost in that case. thank you

if you started as a traditional artist then yes i'd say its absolutely worth the price. it's like working in your lap or whatever your set up is, but on the computer... in your lap!! you can see your brush strokes made as you do them beneath your pen, because you are working directly on your "canvas". it honestly was such a boon to my artistic skills in photoshop that I upped my average commission prices. my cheap digital pieces now cost about $60 and up.

i wound up selling my old tablet and used the funds towards getting the 9x12 (or whatever it is; the small/usual sketchbook sized) cintiq, and i've been thrilled by it. you really don't need anything bigger than that btw. the small size fits nicely in your laps, but the bigger you go, the heavier and harder they are to move around.

the largest one, 24x24, weighs a ton and is obnoxious to set up. it's like moving a CR TV around.

A Spider Covets fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 5, 2016

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

A Spider Covets posted:

if you started as a traditional artist then yes i'd say its absolutely worth the price. it's like working in your lap or whatever your set up is, but on the computer. you can see your brush strokes made as you do them beneath your pen, because you are working directly on your "canvas". it honestly was such a boon to my artistic skills in photoshop that I upped my average commission prices. my cheap digital pieces now cost about $60 and up.

i wound up selling my old tablet and used the funds towards getting the 9x12 (or whatever it is; the small/usual sketchbook sized) cintiq, and i've been thrilled by it. you really don't need anything bigger than that btw. the small size fits nicely in your laps, but the bigger you go, the heavier and harder they are to move around.

the largest one, 24x24, weighs a ton and is obnoxious to set up. it's like moving a CR TV around.

This is cool but I gotta say, I hated my nice WACOM and found that it really held me back by letting me constantly second-guess every single stroke, and after a while I just gravitated away from the thing and it sat in a corner. Everybody is different! But for me it was totally a waste of money.

Sig by Heather Papps

A Spider Covets

This is cool but I gotta say, I hated my nice WACOM and found that it really held me back by letting me constantly second-guess every single stroke, and after a while I just gravitated away from the thing and it sat in a corner. Everybody is different! But for me it was totally a waste of money.

was it a wacom traditional tablet, like one where you look at the computer screen while you draw in your lap on your tablet, or a cintiq (display + tablet is on the device)?

but yeah i agree not everyone is gonna like digital art. try a friend's tablet or cintiq if you can first. or test it out in a store if possible. each genre of art is different, and whether its physical or digital doesnt matter - you gotta do what you enjoy. :)

as for BoldFrankensteinMir you should try and sell your unused tablet on craigslist. made decent money on there before with tech I wasn't using, bet you could too!!

----------------

BoldFrankensteinMir

I had both kinds, the old fashion one was like a Bamboo back in the day, but I also had the screen kind. Both felt restricting and both were given away as gifts to other artists.

Spider's right, it really is all about what you're comfy with. I'm a weird old-timer who mixes his own paints and writes first-drafts long-hand, my methods are nowhere near some kind of "standard" or "best" anything. Explore!

Edit- also yes, if you can try any piece of equipment out before buying do so. Most artists generally do not make enough money to be early adopters, they have to be choosy and patient.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 5, 2016

Sig by Heather Papps

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I'm a professional digital artist and I use a cheap-o Genius pad. It's not as nice as a Wacom, but I've bought three of them over the years and still haven't spent as much as one Intuos of similar size. In my opinion they're the perfect starter tablets.

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

i use the type you draw on while looking at the screen and as soon as you get used to it (which can take a while) it's second nature. I'm going to pick up one of them ugee or huion touch tablet displays eventually though, price is way lower than a cintiq and although they're not meant to be as good they're not like five times worse

hi how are you ♥

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I use an ancient Elitebook 2730p when I'm not at home. it has a Wacom digitizer built into the screen and it's like having a portable Cintiq 12 in my bag at all times. Of course, it's so old that I can only run photoshop CS2 on it, but hey.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Is Photoshop still popular as a paintbox? I really assumed everything done with a stylus had switched over to Illustrator nowadays. Or, maybe some sort of unicorn-made vector and brush-set app that I've never heard of because I'm a fossil, I dunno.

Sig by Heather Papps

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i can't draw and simply do not have that brain to hand make-an-image connection so taught myself photo manipulation as a bastardized version of drawing!

Three-Phase

by zen death robot
I can only draw lines at 90 or 45 degree angles to one another. 30 if I really push it.

----------------

Salmiakki

Is Photoshop still popular as a paintbox? I really assumed everything done with a stylus had switched over to Illustrator nowadays. Or, maybe some sort of unicorn-made vector and brush-set app that I've never heard of because I'm a fossil, I dunno.

a lot of artists i know, including me, use paint tool sai which is a lot of fun

ty cat dynamite

BoldFrankensteinMir

Salmiakki posted:

a lot of artists i know, including me, use paint tool sai which is a lot of fun

Oh nice, this is like the heir apparent to Gimp huh? The negative comment on their page "interface is plain and outdated" definitely interests me, haha. Thanks!

Sorry to derail OP, seriously, if you draw with burned sticks on treebark that's awesome, if you live-trace AR vectors with your brain inside a stasis tank that's awesome, whatever way you find you like to draw is awesome.

Sig by Heather Papps

Android Blues

i use krita, which is a free digital painting program, and it's pretty good although it has its foibles. it works really well with my tablet though and being free is a hell of a recommendation

i use paint.net for photo manipulation and gimp for animating stuff. basically anything to avoid paying for photoshop (or illustrator, or SAI, etc...!)

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

i use corel painter 2016 for drawin' and photoshop for fixin'

a good and relatively cheap alternative for corel painter is Manga Studio 5 EX which I sometimes use for comics and toning on the rare occasion I do either, but it's a surprisingly capable painting program with lots of interesting brushes, and lots of free or cheap addons available from its user base.

hi how are you ♥

Saint Isaias Boner

hi how are you

Oh nice, this is like the heir apparent to Gimp huh? The negative comment on their page "interface is plain and outdated" definitely interests me, haha. Thanks!

Sorry to derail OP, seriously, if you draw with burned sticks on treebark that's awesome, if you live-trace AR vectors with your brain inside a stasis tank that's awesome, whatever way you find you like to draw is awesome.

doublepost but image editing and painting software do slightly different things, if you're using sai you might still find a use for GIMP in finishing up your images and adding filters and what not

e: they overlap, for instance you can do amazing art in photoshop or GIMP but it's not the best tool for it most of the time

hi how are you ♥

pig guts

Bo-Pepper posted:

i can't draw and simply do not have that brain to hand make-an-image connection so taught myself photo manipulation as a bastardized version of drawing!

i lack the brain to hand make-an-image thing too, it's fun trying though.

thanks a ton for all the suggestions. i'm stuck at work and totally forgot to bring my drawing stuff and now it's all i wanna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweezer Reprise

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
somebody here is probably ok at drawing. unfortunately; it isn't me. good luck in your search

• Locked thread