Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Prude posted:

So what the gently caress, from a planning perspective, is the benefit of not installing a left light + left hand turn phase at an intersection? Slightly more time for people going straight? Seems like a fair gain (and marginal at that if it's sensor-based) only in places where turning left would be highly uncommon, otherwise it seems dangerous and likely to cause confusion + anger (when the turn line piles up) in some drivers (eg me). I guess I don't drive in other cities much and for once I'm sort of grateful for the roads around here.

Also really if Americans could figure out loving roundabouts most of the poo poo in this thread would be moot.

typically there's either not enough width in the right of way or there isn't enough length to taper in a turning lane long enough to allow the expected storage length

if it's not a geometric issue then the latest traffic study done however long ago decided that there weren't enough left turners to warrant changing the signal timing to allow protected turning phases since this tends to reduce throughput for the intersection and create more traffic

if i had my way i'd slap in roundabouts everywhere tho the main issue is that they take up more space than putting in signals and lots of municipalities are pants on head retarded about them anyway and require poo poo like stop signs at all the approaches or even just signalize them and defeat the entire purpose

continuous flow intersections are p cool too

e: these guys

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

satanic splash-back posted:

in america there is no driving test, there is only a parallel parking test and a 'did you piss off the fat old lady who smells like a mix of cigarettes, mothballs, and cat litter' test

And I got my license after failing parallel parking!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LOL if you're going straight at an intersection and just gun it the second the light turns green to get a sweet pay out from idiots who do this.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I honk at burger drive throughs too.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

I honk at burger drive throughs too.

Me IRL when getting 'food' to shove down my gullet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYSWtdEW43g

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Like east coasters are going to wave you through first. I don't believe it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

in america there is no driving test, there is only a parallel parking test and a 'did you piss off the fat old lady who smells like a mix of cigarettes, mothballs, and cat litter' test

They don't even do parallel parking here. They do a maneuverability test where you drive slowly between some cones and then back up. It's next to impossible to fail unless you take the test in an articulated bus.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Phantom Brakers piss me off.

i'm constantly ending up behind folks who have a clear lane ahead of them but they are hitting the brakes for no known reason. What the gently caress you pushing your brake pedal for? there is nobody in front of you, im a respectful distance from you, what the gently caress are you braking for?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

JiveHonky posted:

i'm constantly ending up behind folks who have a clear lane ahead of them but they are hitting the brakes for no known reason. What the gently caress you pushing your brake pedal for? there is nobody in front of you, im a respectful distance from you, what the gently caress are you braking for?

JFC this x10000

Also if you're turning right get the gently caress over then and make your turn what the poo poo is wrong with you slowing to an almost stop still just in the middle of the lane aaaarrrgh.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The_Franz posted:

They don't even do parallel parking here. They do a maneuverability test where you drive slowly between some cones and then back up. It's next to impossible to fail unless you take the test in an articulated bus.

you are so retarded you don't even realize the maneuverability test is parallel parking between cones instead of cars

you should try driving into a tree at high speed next time you're out, it would be the best impact you've made on the world thus far

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

Me IRL when getting 'food' to shove down my gullet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYSWtdEW43g

Those ink cartridges aren't going to replace themselves!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

you are so retarded you don't even realize the maneuverability test is parallel parking between cones instead of cars

you should try driving into a tree at high speed next time you're out, it would be the best impact you've made on the world thus far

Driving around a curve made of cones and backing into a parking-lot parking space isn't parallel parking dipshit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

JiveHonky posted:

Is it possible they are just trying to slow down to avoid speeding? I do that sometimes because my car doesn't decelerate at a reasonable rate.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Driving around a curve made of cones and backing into a parking-lot parking space isn't parallel parking dipshit.

The maneuverability test I did was four cones arranged in a car-sized rectangle and a fifth cone set back a bit between the back to cones and it actually does test the skillset needed for parallel parking and that I completely forgot within five minutes of getting through the test without hitting a cone because I live in suburban hell and parallel parking is a skill for people who live in the city and are too hipster or too poor to have a private garage.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Is it possible they are just trying to slow down to avoid speeding? I do that sometimes because my car doesn't decelerate at a reasonable rate.

maybe if they did it once in a while i could see that, but these cats are usually not exactly burning up the highway in the first place. i think sometimes it just an overly cautious, perhaps new driver. Or they might be drunk or high in some cases. who knows, either way its really annoying.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Those people are two foot driving and resting their left foot on the brake pedal enough that it lights the lights up (and also burns up their brakes because they are total loving idiots)

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Those people are two foot driving and resting their left foot on the brake pedal enough that it lights the lights up (and also burns up their brakes because they are total loving idiots)

Came to post this.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

JiveHonky posted:

maybe if they did it once in a while i could see that, but these cats are usually not exactly burning up the highway in the first place. i think sometimes it just an overly cautious, perhaps new driver. Or they might be drunk or high in some cases. who knows, either way its really annoying.

You should see how annoying it is riding with a two foot driver jesus loving christ get your foot over on the dead pedal where it belongs. They are either accelerating or braking. Coasting is a foreign concept.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's not always that simple because until the line ahead of you settles, there's almost always room. Or sometimes you wait, and the line on the other side of the intersection compresses, leaving enough room for another car or two and the light is still green. The main problem is that the distance to the next light is long enough to make it difficult to judge when/if the line will overflow at problem intersections. Thankfully, regressive, ever-climbing local sales tax rates have been paying to slowly expand and improve the roads in the busiest parts of town. Need a new bridge? $0.005 sales tax hike! Widening roads? $0.005 sales tax hike! Before long you're paying an extra $0.02-0.03 on every dollar depending on how many projects the city is starting. Thanks for shouldering the burden, poors!

No it's literally always that simple. Always. If there's room for your car to get completely across the intersection and clear, go. If not, wait until there's room for your car, then go if the light is still green. You make it sound like somehow the car in the back of the line is going to "settle" by moving backwards, or that its mandatory to enter an intersection on a green light even if there's no room to clear the intersection, wtf

Also, you're bitching about a 2% sales tax hike to improve roadways. Smdh if this isnt a troll. If it makes you feel better consider it a stupid tax for people in your area refusing to understand the above.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 7, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

RFC2324 posted:

And I got my license after failing parallel parking!

Me too! I figured it out years later, but seriously, it was a useless skill in bumfuck nowhere.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

two foot driving

what the gently caress where do people learn this

Eustace Tilly
Jul 2, 2006

Title text (up to 250 chars before image tag)

Roylicious posted:

Yeah LA is hell but once you figure it out it's fine.

Drive down to SD and I just mutter cuss words nonstop under my breath at all the morons doing moron things.

I love San Diego traffic. It's like the drivers handbook just had 'gently caress you' written in it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

Two pedals, two feet, right? :downs:

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

RFC2324 posted:

Theres some places here you gotta do that, there's been a "work zone" hard 40 as you crest a hill off US54 and any time the department needs cash they will fuckin sit there all day long with 3 teams of cars. Now everyone just brakes for those speed signs and/or gets off on the road before that. Ur tax dollar at work

Drunk Nerds posted:

I still don't see the problem this fixes. If a left turn would cause problems for the cars behind it (such as when there are two lanes moving the same direction, and a left-turning car stopped in the intersection would prevent other cars from going around it) just put a drat "no left turns" sign. If not, then let people sit in the intersection. What is the issue here?

They're probably mostly talking about straight thru drivers blocking intersections which causes massive jam-ups in big metros with terrible planning. Left turners are gonna be slower so I guess they might be the front end of the problem

Drunk Nerds posted:

I don't get people talking about one-lane roads and turn lights. With the exception of mayb San Francisco, which as mentioned rarely allows left turns in busy areas, if you only have one lane in each direction, there's not enough traffic to warrant a turn light.

It's not as common as it used to be but in Wichita there were a loving ton of 4 lane (as in 2 lanes each way) meets 4 lane intersections with no advance turn lights. A lot of these streets were old 2 lane roads that were widened into 4 lanes but with the minimum amount of space. So now you had people stacked up in the intersection trying to see through the windows of the opposing SUV for a sign that they could gun it without being hit broadside by traffic obscured by the long lane stack of left turners/people too dumb to not switch to the right lane for "through" traffic).

They cleaned most of that poo poo up in the past 10 years or so but it was a huge problem for most of my childhood.

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 7, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

- Honking at people who have the right of way. I saw several times people turning on a green light being honked at by someone at a red light who wanted to turn into the same lane.

You can't swing into the lane nearest the curb when you turn left if someone has turned or wants to turn right into it. It doesn't matter if you have the light or not. Fault is decided on which lane contact occurs in -- if the person turning left has swung into the right lane it's their fault, just as it would be if someone in the right lane swung into the left and hit someone already in that lane. People making big Calhoun lefts into the farthest lane because there's a In and Out they want to go to there are the assholes, not the people trying to turn right.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/25/local/me-26241

California allows turns into any lane when making a left "when safe." It's not safe to turn left into the far lane if someone has made / is making a right turn and is in it.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 7, 2016

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Hey jackass, if you're going to make a right turn, please don't startle me by turning your wheels left first and putting your fender in my lane before turning right so your turn feels more cool or whatever. Jesus Christ.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

Sheep-Goats posted:

I yelled this at a woman in a parking lot about a week ago and she flinched.

HOLY gently caress THERES A GODDAMN BUG ON MY SCREEN I CANT GET IT OFF

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Monkey Fracas posted:

race car drivers do it so it's gotta be good at getting you where you're going faster

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Farmland Park posted:

Since I'm a literal retard, and a goddamn loving idiot, I've decided to extend my stay in China by two years, due to what is actually a quite exciting job opportunity. In that regard, I'm studying for my Chinese drivers licence:

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Metagrubs posted:

keep honking im reloading

Keep honking. I am a goose.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

You drive with your horn there; you never stop honking

have a hotel room by the street? hope you like honking bitch HONK HONK HONK HOOOONK HONK HONK

I can't decide if India or China has the craziest driving but both make even the biggest east coast aggressive rear end in a top hat driver seem like a buddhist monk or something

I don't think it's that there aren't rules or that people are necessarily bad drivers there it's more just that nobody gives a gently caress and will murder you to save 3 seconds

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I once heard that India's driving culture is "I've made my peace with with the gods so if it's my time, gently caress you got my reincarnation on deck" so they just do whatever the gently caress they want.

Of course I heard this from someone I'm pretty sure was a racist, soo....

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

cheerfullydrab posted:

476 in PA, the section known as "The Blue Route" is a broken road and people drive on it like monsters. The breakdown lane becomes a normal lane of traffic during rush hour. Onramps have traffic lights to try to make people act like humans. There's this one area where there's a lane on one side for a half a mile that just appears then disappears for no discernable reason and it causes problems. It's a good place to learn how to drive.

if the third lane didn't inexplicably disappear right as it crosses through the most populated area, maybe it wouldn't be such a hell on earth and maybe we could act like civilized human beings. you can take that up with pennDOT, who are the worst

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Driving fast is cool and more people should do it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Cthulu Carl posted:

I once heard that India's driving culture is "I've made my peace with with the gods so if it's my time, gently caress you got my reincarnation on deck" so they just do whatever the gently caress they want.

Of course I heard this from someone I'm pretty sure was a racist, soo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfLNqjh4j0

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A Stupid Baby posted:

trying to see through the windows of the opposing SUV for a sign that they could gun it without being hit broadside by traffic

Driving little cars in the south has given me an intense hatred of SUVs and big rear end trucks. I can never actually see to see if its safe to go, so I have to wait til it 'feels' safe and pray(or the big rear end truck behind me might start flipping out on me, and that fucker probably has a gun)

Also, another one. People who rush up to get ahead of you, cut in front of you, then apply brakes. Had a dude on a bike do this to me today and all I could think was that he WANTED to die.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

You can't swing into the lane nearest the curb when you turn left if someone has turned or wants to turn right into it. It doesn't matter if you have the light or not. Fault is decided on which lane contact occurs in -- if the person turning left has swung into the right lane it's their fault, just as it would be if someone in the right lane swung into the left and hit someone already in that lane. People making big Calhoun lefts into the farthest lane because there's a In and Out they want to go to there are the assholes, not the people trying to turn right.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/25/local/me-26241

California allows turns into any lane when making a left "when safe." It's not safe to turn left into the far lane if someone has made / is making a right turn and is in it.

Interesting. Wish what I saw was that ambiguous: I saw either people making a right honking at left turners moving into a completely different, legal lane, or right turners honking at people making legal u-turns that had to go over into the rightmost lane a little.

Still good to know, though, thanks

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait until blind spot sensors and front collision sensors are made mandatory for manufacturers as this will decrease the odds of me being on the receiving end of someone not paying attention

alternatively make all cars manual, do not include cupholders, only include radios that are permanently tuned to classical music, and install some kind of field generator that disables cell phones while people are in the car

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can't wait until blind spot sensors and front collision sensors are made mandatory for manufacturers as this will decrease the odds of me being on the receiving end of someone not paying attention

alternatively make all cars manual, do not include cupholders, only include radios that are permanently tuned to classical music, and install some kind of field generator that disables cell phones while people are in the car

As far as cell phones, I think the already existing laws just need to be enforced. Its hard to take them seriously when you see people nearly hit a cop because they are on the phone, and the cop just shrugs and goes to buy more donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

You should see how annoying it is riding with a two foot driver jesus loving christ get your foot over on the dead pedal where it belongs. They are either accelerating or braking. Coasting is a foreign concept.

I can't get in my friend's car anymore because he drives like this but super exaggerated and it literally makes me nauseous. If he isn't accelerating hard, he is braking hard. Even on the freeway. I don't get it.

Also,

http://electrek.co/2016/06/06/tesla-model-x-crash-not-at-fault/

lol at that dude whose wife crashed their new Tesla then tried to blame it on the autopilot. The logs show the driver hit the pedal and the autopilot had 0 to do with it but the comments are full of :tinfoil: 'but Tesla's logs might be lying!'

• Locked thread