Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
some of y'all are being way too literal about this:
1. Pull into intersection in busy non-hick town
2. Wait until light turns red because no break in traffic
3. Make sure cars going in opposite direction are STOPPED and not trying to run the newly red light
4. Turn

This happens 4 million times a day in los Angeles and its fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

Sounds like they were trying to make a way to punish assholes who block the intersection going straight and screwed over people turning left by accident because lawmakers are largely morons.

Came to post this.
My dad and I visited his Ohio hometown a few years back. It never even occurred to people to not block the intersection until they could clear it. We were laughing at how badly this impeded rush hour traffic: guy blocks entire intersection for whole light, traffic finally moves... Three cars come perpendicularly and do the EXACT SAME BLOCKInG that they had just been impeded by

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

lol we just solved this by painting a literal box in busy junctions which you cant enter if you would be blocked by traffic seems much simpler

Idgi

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I don't get people talking about one-lane roads and turn lights. With the exception of mayb San Francisco, which as mentioned rarely allows left turns in busy areas, if you only have one lane in each direction, there's not enough traffic to warrant a turn light.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Dave_Indeed posted:

One time I was driving my bros back from lunch and we saw a car full of middle aged ladies returning to work from their lunch break.

We had come to a lull in our conversation and the car was quiet so I said, "Hey want to see something awesome?" and then I honked at the other car when they slowed briefly to make a right turn. Obviously all four chicks turned around and started yapping and clucking.

We lolled for a while. At least it gave them something to talk about for the next few months.

One day I was hanging out in in downtown SF. I was on a streetcorner, and a bus takes the corner too tight. Streets in SF are super tight. The bus back whee hops the curb for about five feet, then gets back on the road as normal. Totally boring stuff. Lady next to me whips out her cell phone and in an excited southern drawl says "You will NAHT BEIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW," then details the whole thing like it's interesting.

It's like, lady, this is downtown SF. You can't go a block without seeing some naked junkie fighting a cop, this might be too interesting a place for you to handle.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 6, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

basically instead of blanket banning moving into the junction if you're turning across the opposite lane but there's oncoming traffic blocking you because it's not usually a problem, they just paint a big hashed yellow box over junctions where it would be and you're not allowed to

I still don't see the problem this fixes. If a left turn would cause problems for the cars behind it (such as when there are two lanes moving the same direction, and a left-turning car stopped in the intersection would prevent other cars from going around it) just put a drat "no left turns" sign. If not, then let people sit in the intersection. What is the issue here?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 6, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It boggles my mind how bad driving seems to be a regional contagion. Los Angeles, people generaly drive safe not 100% retarded (considering everyone is either going 90 miles an hour or zero miles an hour). There's some tailgating, but that's about it.

Drive East two hours. As soon as you hit the Arizona border, you'll constantly see people doing retardo poo poo like:

- Tailgating a massive truck that is passing another truck
- Tailgating a line of cars tailgating a massive truck that is passing another truck
- Honking at people who have the right of way. I saw several times people turning on a green light being honked at by someone at a red light who wanted to turn into the same lane.
- Being fat
- Being old

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 6, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

I've seen this a few times in rush hour, too many cars go to the next light and there's not enough room so now there's a solid wall of jerks across the intersection. A car trying to turn left is just as stuck as the rest of the poor fuckers in that clusterfuck. Terrible urban planning is the tits.

It's not terrible urban planning in that case. It's dumbass driving. Is there space for your car at the end of the intersection? Yes>> enter intersection. No? Wait until room opens up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's not always that simple because until the line ahead of you settles, there's almost always room. Or sometimes you wait, and the line on the other side of the intersection compresses, leaving enough room for another car or two and the light is still green. The main problem is that the distance to the next light is long enough to make it difficult to judge when/if the line will overflow at problem intersections. Thankfully, regressive, ever-climbing local sales tax rates have been paying to slowly expand and improve the roads in the busiest parts of town. Need a new bridge? $0.005 sales tax hike! Widening roads? $0.005 sales tax hike! Before long you're paying an extra $0.02-0.03 on every dollar depending on how many projects the city is starting. Thanks for shouldering the burden, poors!

No it's literally always that simple. Always. If there's room for your car to get completely across the intersection and clear, go. If not, wait until there's room for your car, then go if the light is still green. You make it sound like somehow the car in the back of the line is going to "settle" by moving backwards, or that its mandatory to enter an intersection on a green light even if there's no room to clear the intersection, wtf

Also, you're bitching about a 2% sales tax hike to improve roadways. Smdh if this isnt a troll. If it makes you feel better consider it a stupid tax for people in your area refusing to understand the above.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 7, 2016

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

You can't swing into the lane nearest the curb when you turn left if someone has turned or wants to turn right into it. It doesn't matter if you have the light or not. Fault is decided on which lane contact occurs in -- if the person turning left has swung into the right lane it's their fault, just as it would be if someone in the right lane swung into the left and hit someone already in that lane. People making big Calhoun lefts into the farthest lane because there's a In and Out they want to go to there are the assholes, not the people trying to turn right.

http://articles.latimes.com/1998/sep/25/local/me-26241

California allows turns into any lane when making a left "when safe." It's not safe to turn left into the far lane if someone has made / is making a right turn and is in it.

Interesting. Wish what I saw was that ambiguous: I saw either people making a right honking at left turners moving into a completely different, legal lane, or right turners honking at people making legal u-turns that had to go over into the rightmost lane a little.

Still good to know, though, thanks

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Roylicious posted:

... is this not the way it is everywhere?

I mean CA is lax about things like that but that's just because it is CA. We roll at stops too, that doesn't mean it is legal.

And for what it's worth, this sucks and it isn't just fine. What happens if the person going straight changes lanes right when you decide you can sneak into a farther lane because hey no one there.

Seen two accidents happen like that.

Nobody was going straight in the scenarios. Hard to explain without diagrams: either person making a u turn and person 90 degrees to their left making a right turn, or person making a left turn and person going the other direction making a right

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's an already a poor area of the country that also has a lot of homelessness and hunger issues. Anything that raises the price of basic goods for the little guy is quite onerous. In the city's defense, they are clearing up most of the traffic problems, bit by bit. Shame about them cutting the funding they had to help the homeless (a growing number of them teens or slightly older) and then actively driving them into the woods so downtown looks nice.

Fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Relin posted:

supposedly its legal in VA to do that thing where to pull into an intersection when waiting to turn while the lights red

unsurprisingly this seems to be the cause of a lot of accidents

just sit at the stop sign line you mother fuckers

This post confuses me:
- Are you talking about a stop sign or stop light?
- You do realize, we're taking about pulling into an intersection when the light's green, right?

• Locked thread