Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I'm probably gonna continue mostly ignoring LPL until I see a post from rabidsquid grudgingly admitting that a team with an S3 KT Rolster member is good now, at which point I'mma relentlessly hype them up for the rest of that sesason

So, y'know, let me know if that ever happens man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
This feels like Immortals have been getting their asses kicked all over the rift for a long time now - how are they only down 3K gold? I guess that gap is misleading on account of it doesn't tell you how much of that gold is on a Vlad and a Twitch

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

steakmancer posted:

i think cloud drake is worth 4 kills and the bot t2

"Do I stan for Immortals or do I stan for Cloud Drake" is the hardest decision that the casters can make

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hypocrisy posted:

I hope Immortals doesn't become that one TSM team that always lost game 1 in sets.

They're 2-2 in Game 1's so far

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
That was a tremendous series. Obviously I would've preferred an IMT win, but if this what a struggling IMT looks like right now, it feels like it'll be at least another season before I hop off their bandwagon

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I really like both of these teams and want to say complimentary things about their play in this game, but

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
They're still not playing very well but I feel like the 21-minute over-the-wall baron bait into a 4 for 0 flank is enough of a goofy play that I'm not ashamed of liking IMT anymore today

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
[makes kissing motion like cartoon chef] Mwah! Supoib

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Remember always that KiwiKid is a fuckin lame

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So why do none of the casters know what outer turrets are

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

kirtar posted:

Well you see, they're outside of the inhibitor turrets.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Without looking at the wiki to confirm, which NA LCS team would you guess has played the most games this season, and which has played the least?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
C9 is correct for most, nobody's gotten least yet

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Wol posted:

Echo Fox has gotta be the least, right? P1 is at least crazy enough to take a couple games by accident, but FOX 2-0ed them and IIRC have been rolling over without much of a fight ever since.

Correct!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Unscientific posted:

Game 2 Samsung vs KT was fantastic. I really recommend catching it on VOD

Seconding this, there are a whole bunch of super-tense extended teamfights

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
"Immortals get an advantage from being Immortals" sounds like a line that rabidsquid would write to make fun of the casters, and yet

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What's the one champion that Huhi is competent on again? Ryze?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Every so often I get sad that NRG are doing so poorly but then I remember they decided to pay Kiwikid to play League of Legends, on purpose

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

Unfortunately there isn't a team in korea or china he'd be able to start on, he needs to go to europe where the game doesn't start until 71 minutes and he can be at 6 items and there's a gentleman's agreement not to gank.

I'm not much of a CLG fan but I'm definitely grateful to them for demonstrating at MSI that a mediocre NA team can effortlessly body the best EU team

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

He's toxic

Thought experiment: is Piglet so toxic that even a split playing with Cloud9 couldn't teach him the power of friendship?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So if the LCK season ended here, who would be first place? KT because they have a better game record (15-7 vs. 14-7), or ROX because they beat KT? The "Show Tiebreaker Rules" link isn't working for me on Esportswikis, it may not have gotten ported over properly from Esportspedia

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
See, that's what I was leaning since that's how other regions typically do it, but the wiki has KT listed before ROX and I think I remember the casters saying KT was "now in 1st place" after their JAG win the other day (ROX had already played their 9th match by that point)

Either way, thanks for the confirmation. KT is my favorite League of Legends team so I'm a little sad that they're not for real 1st place, but I have faith in them for the back half of the split

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Not gonna lie, as happy as I am for Doublelift being super successful and happy and professional this split, I miss the gently caress out of midcard comedy heel Doublelift

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like there were some extremely dumb EU games today, which ones were dumb enough that I ought to watch them

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah for real, Immortals is taking every possible opportunity to pick the stupidest fights in the world and I love it

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously they didn't know these would be the bottom four teams when they made the schedule, but starting off the day with the bottom four filling up both streams is extremely lame

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Just so we're all on the same page, Giants are the best EU team because draws are sickening and they have the fewest draws

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So I haven't actually played the game in a couple years and my game knowledge has really gone to poo poo. Accordingly, I have a hard time reading team comps beyond the basics and what casters say about them, so I was wondering if there are any good resources for:

1) Who outscales who in each role
2) What kind of comp each champion belongs in, e.g. I can't really tell which team wants to teamfight and which wants to siege/spit/poke/whatever unless one has something really obvious like a Jax or a bunch of long range poke and wave clear

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

It would take an enormous post to explain that for every role and is hard to convey without background context. I don't know how to tackle it.

Yeah, that's why I was hoping there was already a resource for it - League of Legends fans love making elaborate database websites. There's no way I'd ask for a full answer to those questions from scratch, because of pretty much what you said

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

mistaya posted:

In case I misunderstood what you asked,

Unfortunately, yeah. I have a general sense of what champions are strong, just in the sense of "I've seen this one a dozen times this week and it hasn't looked like an embarrassing and confusing pick in action", but the trickier part is understanding why the strong champions are strong, like, did they pick this one because they want a really strong split-pushing comp, or a really strong teamfighting comp, or a really strong pick comp, or a really strong siege comp, or so forth. When it's not multiple obvious indicators at once, like they've got Trundle top, Nidalee jungle, Varus mid, Caitlyn ADC and Braum support and I can say oh that's obviously meant to poke and disengage, I tend to have a hard time understanding what a team's "win conditions" are, to borrow the old Monte phrase

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I think honestly that's a good reminder that helps me feel less dumb about the whole thing - when my own knowledge base is this limited, it's easy to feel like I'm missing a lot of the strategic richness of the drafting process, when realistically, most of these teams are going to be assembling their comps largely on the basis of "X is available? He's really strong, let's pick him"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
How about the other half of the question, the scaling part? Like, I know a few champions that scale really well and I get the stacking item rule of thumb, but there are so many points where the casters go "Well, blue team just have to keep things even until Sivir can hit her break points and start putting out massive crit damage" and I'm like... wait... doesn't the other team have hard scaling guys too?

I think maybe a better way to ask the question is who doesn't scale well in the key carry roles? Like there are enough popular hard-scaling AP and AD carries that it seems like they can all pretty much blow everyone up late game if they get some good positioning and initiation and peel, but I know like... mid Karma, for example, is a kind of "get ahead by mid-game or you're in trouble" pick. And I know that comps with only 1 damage type are really easy to itemize against, so they also fall off as the game goes on. But like, who's like that among ADCs, because it seems like casters want to hype up the destructive power of everyone in the role? Lucian?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
We're so close... so drat close to never having this thread poo poo up again by discussion of known garbage player Kiwikid! I can feel it! 2017 is gonna be the year baby

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

are you planning to kill me, Jenny Angel. because thats the only way i stop posting about the living legend, KiWiKiD

I hate him. I hate him more than anyone who's ever lived. And fictional characters... like, uh, Skeletor

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Crazy Larry posted:

I really enjoyed the way KT won a teamfight every time the casters started talking about how SKT could win them in spite of the gold lead.

Similarly, how they kept saying "SKT are still in this, all it takes is one teamfight win" up until and including the game winning push

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The stream's stopped working on my phone, how's game 4 going

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

these are fun games

not sure they're good... but they're fun.

This is why I remain a fan of 4th place chronic choke artists Immortals

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Angel posted:

This is why I remain a fan of 4th place chronic choke artists Immortals

D-dare I dream? THIRD place choke artists Immortals??

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Work Friend Keven posted:

These games are stupid and I dont give a poo poo about them.

This is a gross and ignorant thing to say, because one of these teams will be the one that washes out of group stage and they're sorta collapsed on the battlefield, short of breath, before TSM arrives and sets them over their shoulder and flashes a steely glare at whatever LPL team 2-0'd them, saying "You don't mess with family"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

remember when everyone was like "krepo is amazing he will never turn into an insufferable piece of poo poo pedophile"

welcome to the wrong side of history mother fuckers

Please don't marginalize his work as a racist

• Locked thread