Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
The real problem for IMT in game 2 wasnt the comp, it was Huni's refusal to play to the comp. If he sticks with the team their disengage is massively improved, but instead he's channeling Maknoon. (Also Olaf didnt fit the comp.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Anyways, I'll work on that dumb pip and add twitch chat to it and pretty it up, maybe I can make it not look stupid on resize if i use iframes. I'll add EU option as well.

Why the gently caress would anyone want that?

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Rookie playing Taliyah vs OMG.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Trick is putting on a clinic.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
10 hour, 7 day workweeks is dumb in literally every single context.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Teams in real sport B-leagues still have an income from sponsors, ticket sales, beer and hotdogs to cover expenses. Where are challenger teams supposed to scrounge up the income to pay players at all? (A challenger league where teams host games and sell tickets might be an actual solution.)

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
The idea that any or all orgs have significant leverage against Riot is more delusional than Marc "My right arm is a lot stronger than my left arm" Merrill.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5676n11NA

"Eventually everything will be controlled by Riot...A pro's life could be dramatically changed depending on whether Riot likes them or not and it makes me uncomfortable knowing my future lays on being on Riot's good side. Aside from that, Riot has artificially inflated the competitive scene and not allowing natural growth and it's questionable going forward because you can't continue to grow without having backlash with such complete control. Unlike the original DOTA that had natural growth and in tern became a long, successful game with a very stable e-sports scene eventually, Riot is injecting growth into League of Legends 3 years into this game."

Scarra, the prophet, talking about this exact scenario 4 years ago.

As well as mentioning how hard it's going to be in the future to play new champion and compete at the top levels if you've got to sink so much time into the game just to unlock new champions...Back when there were 104 champions.

If there's one thing I think all org owners would agree on it's that instead of this whole LCS fiasco they would rather have the very stable e-sports scene of the original DOTA.

(Also, not a single person at the top levels needs to grind to unlock anything.)

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
The Fnatic/G2 situation will have no significant consequences for either org, sorry, but only internet babbies think the situation is comparable to Badawigate.

The NA orgs are smart to do a push "calling Riot's bluff" right now, but in the end they're gonna have to settle for whatever Riot thinks is enough to dole out to placate them because they dont actually have real leverage. Push too hard and it will be Riot calling the orgs' bluff.

Petty internet drama will blow over in weeks and new players and orgs will always be willing to step up to fill any potential void, a void which wont occur because the NA orgs are not going to cut off their own feet to spite Riot's legs. Can we please try to keep the level of discussion here above Reddit-babby level, thanks.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Sorry, maybe we should go back to qualityposting like wondering if the CEO of a billion dollar company is gonna step down over petty internet drama.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
It's like a much smaller and way more pronounced version of Brexit (the power difference is even more lopsided in favor of Riot).
Yeah, big orgs going nuclear hurts Riot somewhat, but it hurts themselves more. In the end most people in NA who buy skins dont give a poo poo about LCS or any of the orgs.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Kashuno posted:

How do the orgs get hurt if they aren't making money (at the top of LCS) or losing money (at the bottom of LCS)?

TSM "arent making money" off their LCS team in the same way Riot "arent making money" off of LCS, ie they would both stop (or rework their business plan) if it didnt increase their other revenue streams. Bad orgs are losing money because they came in with lovely business plans and fail like any other startup in any other business.

Taciturn Tactician posted:

If [most people buying skins not caring about LCS] was true, why would riot continue to dump money into the competitive scene? They're not doing it because they just love watching, having that competitive scene makes them money. And why would people buy org icons? I don't think people are shelling out RP for the TSM icon because they don't care about TSM. If the organisations aren't all lying, they won't hurt themselves at all by leaving the LCS, because they either outright lose money running an LCS team or break even. Meanwhile Riot is going to lose a lot of viewers and attendees for LCS.

Also Brexit has literally nothing to do with this situation except that both involve the concept of leaving. There's not even a group decision being made, C9 could choose to stay and TSM could leave.

Riot run the LCS to make more money on skin sales. If there was no LCS Riot would be making less money on skins, but still shitloads. How is this nuance even remotely difficult to grasp.
It's exactly like Brexit in the sense that one party and their supporters think they have leverage because the other party needs them, when in reality you have very little leverage because they need you less than you need them. Yeah Riot "needs" orgs (orgs' actions can help or hurt Riot's bottom line.) just not to any extent close to what being in the LCS can do for them.

How Rude posted:

this is not petty internet drama when we are talking about full time players being unable to support themselves financially and five dudes sleeping in one room because the stipend riot provides covers peanuts, this is a basic human rights issue

The discussion has mainly been about *orgs* losing money in part because VC is driving up player salaries.
(If you cant support yourself on 25k/yr with free housing then I just dont know what to tell them. Yeah sleeping 5 to a room is super lovely, so negotiate a better contract or go find another job or go to college. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people whod want to be in their shoes, and if the current crop of players drop out for whatever reason there will always be the next best challenger/master player to replace them.)

The first step towards being able to have a constructive discussion about any of this though is to recognize that's what's good for Riot/LCS/The LoL esports scene (which doesnt need to include the LCS in the long term)/Orgs/Players and Fans (and short vs long term for each party) cant ever all align,. But hey lets grab onto a coupld of oversimplified talkingpoints about how Riot/Orgs/X is doing something "wrong" because it doesnt align with their own interest. Throw in a couple of :goonsay: s for good measure.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
If you only read 4 words per post then you are completely right. That also makes your posts make more sense.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Take away the cost of housing and commuting and you can sustain yourself on that literally anywhere in the entire world.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Shadow225 posted:

why do you think regi started all of this mess? He feels like his hands are mostly tied because Riot has very strict guidelines on sponsors, and in return Riot pitches in for player salaries. If the most successful org can't afford to pay its players more, and is kneecapped from acquiring more means of getting money, it is reasonable to petition the other party to uphold their end of the deal to a more accountable end.

also your post reads like a bootstraps post who doesn't understand the world from anyone's view but his own.

It would be nice if we could stop muddling two almost opposite things together. Regis salary woes are that VC has made it so other teams can now offer salaries that can compete with TSM, so Regi wants more ways to make money. New, rich investors is the only reason Regi has to pay players more, god knows his players are already making bank and dont *need* more money.

Also only a single loving thing Ive said is anything even remotely close to "bootstraps". Im a leftist even by leftist european standards. On the player side pro sports is a meritocracy though, youre never gonna get paid more than youre worth (oh wait, yay for VC bubbles, this helps players short term while harming established top orgs) and if they dont like it they can go live in the normal world of poo poo jobs and unemployment like the rest of us.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Lovechop posted:

imagine how loving exhausting it must be to think you're always the smartest person in the room and everywhere you go everyone else is bringing you down. lol

It's more like you walk around in a world of sensible people 95% of the time, and then you forget lolgoons are literally twitch chat and mistakenly address them as if they werent. My bad.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Maguoob posted:

The bold takes the cake for the dumbest thing said in this thread; even though you already said "It's exactly like Brexit" in the same drat post. No; the situation is not "exactly like Brexit" because Brexit wasn't about leverage. As for the bold statement; you do realize why we have labor regulations right? It is because psychopaths like you can't make someone's life a living hell and then claim that they could always go somewhere else or do something else. It doesn't matter how many applicants there are for a position; using that to justify mistreatment or lack of pay is not the reasoning of what society considers a decent person. It is the reasoning of a petty authoritarian that accomplishes nothing in life that is worth mentioning and the world is better off without.

How hard is the phrase "it's exactly like Brexit in the sense that"? Again, I guess I should just stop expecting people to read before they reply.

No player in the LCS with an org that has a team house and pays the Riot minimum has a problem with lack of pay (and pretty much all pay more, which is why, again, the orgs are having money trouble, not the players).

(Yeah there were orgs that literally didnt pay players and those should be sued to hell and back)

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

panda clue posted:

heh, goons, amirite?

you're rocking poe's law really hard right now. keep it up, I love it.

Not complaining about goons, keep up your sweet reading skills buddy.

Luna Was Here posted:

it seems more like a Pixar vs Disney situation where Pixar wanted more control over their poo poo and Disney told them "lol no" and then Pixar hosed off and did A Bug's Life and (i think) Monster's Inc and Disney was like "haha jk can you come back", except in this case instead of character control its revenue control/franchising, the difference between the two is iif all of the LCS orgs go the 'hosed off' route then there might not be a Disney/Riot/LCS to come back to if the Solomid Invitational ends up being more popular than whatever the heck shitshow Riot throws together

Yeah, it's a bit like that if we imagine that in this situation Disney owns the concept of animation so Pixar have to go do live action movies instead.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Yeah, you literally cant tell 2 different words apart, good luck having a discussion.

Also, I wonder if I keep a post short enough people will realize I havent said anything in defense of Riot.

Before VC Regi paid well because he's making a ton of money, wants to be a good guy, and should ideally make sure Bjergsen makes more from being on the team than just full-time streaming. Now his position as the guy who can outbid any team in the west is threatened so he's trying to find new ways to make more money, because he's pretty drat good at running a business.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

I'm convinced that you've not listened to or read anything a non-rioter has said because Regi isn't even fighting this battle for TSM. Go read the CEO of NME's take on all this from a bottom-tier LCS team that didn't have a millionaire backing them.

I posted my position on that already. You come in with a poo poo business plan you fail like 80-90% of startups in any other business.

TSM are successful because Regi built a brand, from the day they got their first teamhouse their economy would be in the shitter if he hadnt worked hard on the non-team side of the business. Now some people think any org that buys a slot deserves success and money just for being in the LCS. gently caress'em, learn how to run a business, or go do something else.

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 25, 2016

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

How do you suppose a brand builds itself if they've got to start out at the bottom, work through challenger (Or invest millions just BUYING their way in) then have to fight against relegation, cost of imports, and finding new talent all in the off-season? By the way, the poaching rules are so outrageous right now that even asking a player if they'd be interested will get a team fined and suspended.

Easy question. It doesnt. It takes hard work. Anyone straight up buying their way in should have a very clear cost-benefit analysis and projections for how far into the future they will start being profitable etc. The concepts are simple, but the execution is hard, the upside is that outside of morons just burning money the playing field is fairly even among the bottom teams (not for top vs bottom though).

Why should you be allowed to contact players under contract directly? The why-not is obvious (can influence a player's motivation/performance etc) There's an easy compromise where you could allow it during off-season and/or during the last x weeks of a contract but it's hardly necessary, a contract's a contract.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

RealFoxy posted:

Anyone investing in League right now runs a huge risk of failing simply because of the relegation system. Challenger series has so many less viewers that your already low sponsor expectancy is likely to abandon you and even if you bring in the best two imports money can buy, there's no promise they'll perform well (Maybe they have problems adjusting to the new environment, maybe their playstyle doesn't mesh well with their team). NRG brought in Ohq and GBM, two players considered to be Top4 in their roles in Korea, and still got relegated.

What was NRG's failing business plan despite having a bottomless checkbook to sign the best players they had available to them? Unless you luck out with immediate team synergy like Huni/Reignover in the NA LCS you're going to be behind the old guard at best due to their experience advantage and at worst you're going to be fighting to stay in the LCS.

Having a bottomless checkbook is completely unrelated to having a good business plan. Getting good players so you can win the league is not a business plan, it's one piece out of many, and if the other pieces arent there it's pointless.
Real sports teams dont spend a badrillion on Ronaldo because it means winning the league, they do it because his presence sells merch, tickets, more eyeballs in front of TVs to advertise to, and the value of potential actual sporting-success is the value of how much this influence these same factors.

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 25, 2016

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Sick oneliners bro.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

The Mattybee posted:

You can just say that you know literally nothing about sports and the correlation between spending and chances of winning, you know, like that's a thing you can do

But that would require you to admit that you're talking out of your own rear end

If you don't already work for Riot you should apply there

That would make a lot more sense if I had been talking about the correlation between spending and chances of winning in the first place, you know, like reading is a thing you could do.

Keep the digs coming, buddy. It's a little comical though that with replies like yours I can't tell if it's actually my opinions that piss you off, or just your own pants-on-head fantasy about what you think my opinion is :)

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 26, 2016

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

iSurrender posted:

The Fnatic/G2 situation will have no significant consequences for either org, sorry, but only internet babbies think the situation is comparable to Badawigate.

I am also not just emptyquoting Keven.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Id say unless they draw SKT+RNG in their group, TSM should be expected to make it out.
Theyre about as good as Fnatic were last year. Whether they actually make semis though is probably mainly down to luck of the draw.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
I think G2s success hinges on Perkz. Botlane is world class, jungle is solid; Perkz is a bit like old xPeke/Soaz, inconsistent with a high ceiling.
I wouldnt be surprised to see them pick up wins against AHQ, IMAY, SSG, FW if they keep it together.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Libertine posted:

Also, food for thought:

The GosuGamers international rankings (not entirely sure how their weighted rankings work, but it's an interesting jumping off point):

http://www.gosugamers.net/lol/rankings

That list gets insanely wonky past the top 15~18

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Lovechop posted:

why is eu so poo poo ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

im on suicide watch this worlds

G2 - poo poo macro. H2k - poo poo macro. Splyce - Individual shortcomings, aaaaand poo poo macro.

(Im an EU fan :sweden: )

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
MVPs of H2k vs ANX

Game 1: Jankos (Even with how much Odo snowballed and great teamfight damage out of Ryu and botlane as well, Jankos was doing the most for the team.)
Game 2: Odo
Game 3: Ryu

Series: ANX Coach

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
An agent from Russia sent to destabilize the majority-Ukrainian team in preparation for annexation.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

The Mash posted:

Second-hardest, surely?

Samsung managed to take a game off Bengi.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I don't honestly know why they ever field Blank. It doesn't matter if he's mechanically better than Bengi if Bengi just always gets better results. Does anyone have SKT's w/l with Blank compared to Bengi at worlds?

8-2 for Bengi. 2-0 in groups, dropped a game each to RNG and SSG
6-4 for Blank. 3-1 in groups, 3-0 vs RNG, 0-3 combined vs ROX+SSG

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
S04 have one bad player, one subpar player and 3 mediocre players, they're only gonna end up in LCS because the bottom teams there suck even worse.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005

Firebert posted:

I wonder if they will still be sponsoring C9/TSM. They aren't in direct competition but it would still be odd.

Until they qualify for LCS Id assume they will. After that they cant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
MrRallez is good enough to earn a place on a middle of the pack EU LCS team. Not nearly good enough to warrant an import slot on a prospective top team.

• Locked thread