Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Well that remains a pretty drat big problem since humans aren't the true source of all evil. That humans can and do create evil does not mean that all evil is created by humans (unless you're going the Victor route here and presuming that human sin literally causes parasites to attack the eyeballs of third world children, which don't think you are). Suffering and wrong exist in the world independent of human action as well as that which we inflict upon ourselves. If a standard omni-* God wanted us to have free will, he could still let us wreck the hell out of ourselves all we wanted without, you know, also deciding Tay-Sachs needed to be a thing.

I miss Victor and his biblical literalism. I miss proto-bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Holy Jesus, can we just come right out and say that McDowell isn't prepared to actually post in this thread? He's just spouting spiritual platitudes that don't mean anything. It's pretty obvious he's never taken a skeptical look at his own beliefs.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Who What Now posted:

I don't really see a point in doing that, no.

Ok, fine. Fish in a barrel and whatnot.

My god is the sun, and he has been very angry lately.

Probably mad about the Sanders endorsement.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I told you so, jerk!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

McDowell posted:

What do you believe in?

Dragonshirt posted:

My god is the sun, and he has been very angry lately.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I really enjoy the idea of Double Secret Heaven.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
Brandor, you're saying skepticism in its totality is nonsense?

Also lol at the backhanded comparison of racial and LGBT strife to the struggles of white Christian men. The War on Christmas is real!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

but there isn't

Yet.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Bel Shazar posted:

I've had no supernatural experiences. I don't believe you can have a truly supernatural experience. I believe the fact of existence at all is sufficient proof of God's existence. So, the strong anthropic principle?

The Abrahamic God?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Bel Shazar posted:

I mean, technically yes I suppose, in that I believe there is one supreme being, so therefore those Bronze Age people were worshiping the same god through whatever imperfect form they imagined it.

Nice dodge.

• Locked thread