Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Probably depends on the time and place. But then they are not committing evil.

So why did God create or allow psychosis to happen, a thing that pretty much eliminates free will?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Really all people with psychosis has no control at all over their lives?

Psychosis is characterized as a break from reality which heavily implies a loss of control. This why, for example, people who committed a crime while psychotic isn't punished.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Well when you say it eliminates free will... I have to compliment you for being much more polite this time around.

I wish I could compliment you for actually answering questions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

I suspect most people "compelled" could deal.
Lets say that most people that are experiencing a psychotic break would be able to be in control of their actions. That still doesn't explain why God would create or let a psychosis happen that would rob people of control over their actions if he's so concerned about free will.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

I think I made it pretty clear, but then you don't like people pointing out the alternative is being a literal drone.

But considering that God is apparently perfectly fine with having psychotic people lose control over their selves I don't think he has the issues with free will that you think he has.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Most people with psychosis still have control or else there would be a lot more deaths courteously of such people.

Having a psychotic break does not automatically make you violent. What it does do is make you lose contact with reality (you hear, see and even smell things that aren't there), you lose control over your speech and could also develop delusions (thinking that for example you have special powers). All that makes it difficult or impossible to control your actions. Why would a god so concerned with free will allow that to happen?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

If they can still control their actions though it suggest they are still part of the grand order.

Actually, if they are in control over their actions it suggests that they are not having a psychotic break. And by the way, gently caress a grand order that allow people to suffer crippling mental illnesses for no reason.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

Do you have one?

I think I'm beginning to develop a post traumatic stress disorder because of your posting.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

Comes back to my personal belief that God created a bunch of intelligent hairless monkeys

He also created boncecancer and psychosis.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

Their death reminds us that life does in fact suck

I'm sure that all the people who died in painful ways takes solace in that it made the rest of us learn a valuable lesson.

quote:

I recently lost an uncle to schizophrenia related poo poo and yeah it sucks but at the end of the day, some people are better off dead, if you believe in a happy afterlife as I do.

Of course god didn't have to create schizophrenia in the first place (and it's kinda baffling that he did) and your uncle could've had a life without a crippling mental disease.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

For we expected free will and we were given that

Except for the people with a severe mental illness, God didn't think it was that important to give them free will.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

My point is that God can know your thoughts and my thoughts, thereby having insights that we lack, which forms the core of the mysterious ways argument.

According to your logic that would be an immoral act for god to commit though:

Keeshhound posted:

Can we agree that to have your innermost thoughts known constitutes a violation of one's privacy, such that some people might feel that they have been horrifically wronged to have it happen to them?

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 1, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

no one is going to care about any of the rest of your post while this is dangling there, so you may as well tell us why Heimdall is the best god.
He looks like the original hipster:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I would be interested to hear a sincere defence of classical paganism.

It involves lots of beer?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Wine surely, and only during Saturnalia.

Depends on your pantheon, if you worship the norse god you're pretty much getting shitfaced:

Snorri Sturluson posted:

It was an old custom, that when there was to be sacrifice all the bondis [freeholders] should come to the spot where the temple stood and bring with them all that they required while the festival of the sacrifice lasted. To this festival all the men brought ale with them; and all kinds of cattle, as well as horses, were slaughtered, and all the blood that came from them was called "hlaut", and the vessels in which it was collected were called hlaut-vessels. Hlaut-staves were made, like sprinkling brushes, with which the whole of the altars and the temple walls, both outside and inside, were sprinkled over, and also the people were sprinkled with the blood; but the flesh was boiled into savoury meat for those present. The fire was in the middle of the floor of the temple, and over it hung the kettles, and the full goblets were handed across the fire; and he who made the feast, and was a chief, blessed the full goblets, and all the meat of the sacrifice. And first Odin's goblet was emptied for victory and power to his king; thereafter, Niord's and Freyja's goblets for peace and a good season. Then it was the custom of many to empty the brage-goblet (1); and then the guests emptied a goblet to the memory of departed friends, called the remembrance goblet.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

You are not seriously telling me that the Prose Edda contains the concept of pouring out a 40.

Snorri was the real OG.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chonchon posted:

Suffering exists so that people may have an enemy to fight, and hate exists so that you may recognize love. God does not exist to be a divine babysitter who gives you everything you want. Agency is in our own hands, as is all responsibility for every good and every evil. That's the purpose of free will. What you do with that free will to freely and unconditionally benefit the people around you determines your worth and value as a soul worth saving.

Perhaps, as you might believe, I'm assigning an overly optimistic fiction to what could possibly be an oblivious and unthinking universal law (Existence of suffering), but then again its always better to be an energetic optimist than a complacent cynic.

So if you never experiences hate you're incapable of feeling love?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A being who is glad to suffer is not suffering as human beings do.

Don't kinkshame.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

would the modern world (and modern medicine) exist as we know it without the God of Abraham?

Yes. Modern medicine is based on observation and experimentation, not divine intervention.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that ferments bread. So many things that are so small and so fast - you couldn't even be sure they happened at all.
Sounds like you're a lovely baker.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

I'm trying to make an illustration to you about microbiology and the chemical/material miracle of life. But is it surprising to see God's message get such abuse directed at it these days? It's a fast, cheap, out of control world I suppose.

Okay, then explain to me how divine intervention made Pasteur discover fermentation.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

^ What circumstances created Louis Pasteur? The same chain of events leading to and stemming from the crucifixion of Christ, the prophecy of Muhammad, and much more.
So no matter what I'm asking about you're going to dodge the question?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

God gives you free will to believe and worship what you like.

And as I've previous mentioned he also randomly takes it away.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

That depends on your perspective and your understanding that you are not your vehicle. This planet at this time could be considered as a hell/prison/rehab center.

Isn't it exhausting to constantly having to make poo poo up in order to justify your faith?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

I think we can agree that humans didn't will themselves into existence

Why not? That isn't more improbable than being created by a divine being.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

McDowell posted:

but with Zika isn't that a fulfillment of the Pope's advice not to breed like rabbits - a condemnation of people who have schemes to outbreed the others?

Yeah, that doesn't sound racist at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bel Shazar posted:

I'm not assuming any type of intelligent design, but most of the current theories look a lot like a process of creation.

Most of the current theories makes the existence of a creator unnecessary.

• Locked thread