Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

If there were a repeatable, proven physiological explanation for one's rapturous deity-ascribed "experiences," would theists reconsider their beliefs? I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

but there isn't

I'm sure I'll regret touching the poop, but the point is that these Bronze Age cultures ascribed anything they didn't understand to the acts of a supernatural power. You're doing the same thing if you misunderstand how flawed the senses and brain can be, especially in extraordinary circumstances, and ascribe your "experiences" to the supernatural. It's telling how all of the testimonials I've cared to read in this thread describing why one believes seem to boil down to such "experiences."

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

in other words, in the absence on any evidence, you are certain that every supernatural experience has a physiological explanation

You have that backwards, it should read: "In the absence of any evidence, experiences that are physiological are being given supernatural significance." In one hand, the chasm between effect and explanation makes sense. On the other hand, the chasm is "here's a story, I believe it and you can't tell me I'm wrong."

No, I can't walk through the effects one describes, chemical reaction to chemical reaction, and tell you why you have a supernatural experience, point by point, but the physiology of sense and interpretation is very complex and assuming an explanation based on chemistry and physics is MUCH more believable than the myth of your choice.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

if you're going to have faith you might as well have it in something that gives meaning to your life

I apologize, I don't mean to misrepresent you by skipping the last bit of your post. My reply to this sentiment would be to criticize the need for "meaning." The universe is a cold, heartless machine. We can all be destroyed in a moment, and there is absolutely no meaning necessary to explain the physics and chemical processes that lead to our existence.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

the thing is that if you're down to just picking and choosing what to believe (which you are, really) it's pretty ridic to deliberately pick "the universe is a cold heartless machine" ahead of one that makes you feel good

What's ridiculous is that you're making a decision based on how it feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

The Kingfish posted:

I don't know dick about physics, but it seems like the universe operates according to cause and effect. The infiniteness of a creator God makes sense in the way infinite expansion and collapse of the universe does not.

No wonder rural Bible Belt parents fret over sending their kids off to be "indoctrinated" at college. They might learn chemistry, physics, and historical context that undermines their good old fashioned fear of God we so carefully abused them with their entire impressionable childhood.

• Locked thread