Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Really enjoying this LP, thanks!

It's also got me in the mood for playing some Civ 5 again but I'd like to try something different. I've beaten the game a few times via each route, from memory with the English, the Dutch (although wish I'd setup a polder paradise like here...), Shoshone and Byzantium.

How much fun is playing as Venice? That seems to come up as the civ with the most obviously different mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Oh also, for how many spies you killed.

All of them. you killed all of the spies.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

Fwoderwick posted:

Really enjoying this LP, thanks!

It's also got me in the mood for playing some Civ 5 again but I'd like to try something different. I've beaten the game a few times via each route, from memory with the English, the Dutch (although wish I'd setup a polder paradise like here...), Shoshone and Byzantium.

How much fun is playing as Venice? That seems to come up as the civ with the most obviously different mechanics.

I love playing Venice, just don't expect warfare action with them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Double Rabite posted:

I love playing Venice, just don't expect warfare action with them.
On the contrary, they can be a lot of fun to warmonger with. Pick Pangea or a similar map and add about 4-5 AI's if you're on a standard size. You can use the default number but it'll take a long time for the map to fill up with enough cities to avoid leaving gaps full of barbarian camps everywhere. Every city you take will be a puppet but you can still buy things in them, which is pretty sweet. Venice will tower over them like a puppeteer and use their ridiculous wealth and easy access to national wonders to dominate the rest of the world. Naturally, getting cities by any other mean than pure conquest is not allowed for a proper war run.

I'm not sure if it's possible to do on higher difficulties but it's fun to do on emperor at least. :shobon:

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Linked video is fine, so no worries there!

Also, who are we planning on playing as next?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

That being said, everyone should try out the Polder paradise at least once just to see how silly it is.

Though it can take several re-rolls to get a good start. What you folks didn't see was me laughing at Fargle before we started as he got 3-4 marsh-filled starts on a Sandstorm map. The Dutch have a super-bias for starting near marshes, and so if the map has 3-4 marsh tiles it in a clump the game will drop your starting settler right there instead of dropping you next to the 10-11 floodplains somewhere else on the map.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 10, 2016

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Alright! Here we go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A95jy7p91A

Episode 1 of the second game: France.

I'm going to be without proper internet for a few days so this is the last update I'll be making directly in the thread till next week. Videos are scheduled to go up once daily till Wednesday.

Drop a subscribe if you want to see them all as soon as they come out! :selllout:

This game is aiming for a cultural victory by going wide. Immortal, Fractal, Standard Size, Standard Speed.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Thought that occurs too late:

The Dutch use the Nile better than the Egyptians. Ramses must be pissed.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, that war declaration by Alex was honestly in the works for a while. He had settled two cities near you, and you had left only the bow-man to protect your capital. That, along with the fact that you were already in a war and the fact that Alex is an opportunistic rear end, is where the "surprise" declaration came from. I am kind of surprised at just how many troops he has in your borders already though.

By the way, episode 2 of the France game is up.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Youtube won't let me comment because Google+ or something, but it's pronounced 'ka-maya-maya' not 'ka-may-ha-may-ha.' :goku:

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Great videoes, Fargle!

Only one thing. The sound is very very low compared to every other youtube video, so when I go to watch or listen to anything else it's like an explosion of sound, as I have to max out the sound on the youtube player and my sound system to hear what you're saying.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014
Great LP, Fargle, I'm really enjoying it. Following your playing speed on Immortal can be a bit much at times, though, so I've been wondering if you'd be willing to do the odd game on Emperor difficulty once in a while, if that's not too little of a challenge for you.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Alexander burned Thebes to the ground after conquering it too; amusing as they mention Thebes in the opening title scroll for Alexander.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I just want to say, drat you Fargle for causing me to play Civ V again, and also the Shoshone are really good.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Well, I got my wish for a more aggressive AI this round.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Banana Facts!

Banana is the berry produced by herbaceous plants in the genus Musa. Its domestication is believed to have begun in separate parts of Southeast Asia and Papua New Guinea, as well as in parts of Africa. Wild plants still grow in large diversity in India, China, and Southeast Asia, as well as parts of Africa. The fruit we eat is actually the product of specific sterile cultivars that have been maintained through offshoots since before recorded history. The oldest archaeological evidence of Banana cultivation dates around 8000 BCE.

Musa plants are some of the largest herbaceous flowering plants, consisting of a melon-sized round corm supporting multiple layers of thick, broad leaves. Each new leaf sprouts as a shoot from the center of the corm and splits apart as successive shoots grow within. This gives the plant its tree-like thickness. When mature, the corm sends out a flower spike that the fruit cluster eventually hangs from. The fruits are made up of fleshy starchy carpals encased in a leathery rind and are grown in a number of tiers of linked "hands"; the amount and size vary greatly with some producing hundreds of micro fruit and others creating multiple flower clusters. The numerous hard seeds inside the carpal make most wild fruit inedible.

What appear in the markets are descended from the Acuminata and Balbisiana species, which are genetically sterile and parthenocarpic, meaning they produce full fruit regardless of whether they are fertilized. Instead, each harvest of bananas comes from a continuous series of rhizome offshoots. On average, each rhizome has a life span of 25 years, from which a full flower and one or two selected offshoots are maintained for following harvests. The bananas are picked while fully green and shipped at a constant temperature to delay ripening, giving them a shelf life of 2-4 weeks. Produce section bananas are chemically ripened upon arrival and are considered "dessert bananas", ready to eat. Bananas that don't undergo this ripening are generally referred to as "plantains" and are commonly used in cooking where the starch content contributes to chemical processes.

While tree-ripened bananas are said to taste better, they only last 7-10 days. A ripe banana will glow blue under UV light, making edible fruit visually detectable to animals that can see that spectrum. The "Cavendish" cultivar is relatively new export, originally produced in 1836, however they only became a majority export after the 1950's, when the popular "Michel Gros" cultivar became commercially unviable due to Panama Disease. Because the bananas of any given variety are genetically identical, the industry is particularly susceptible to exotic plant diseases. It is quite likely that the next mainstream cultivar will be entirely genetically engineered via crossings with particularly resistant wild plants.

Condensed from Wikipedia

Radio fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 13, 2016

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Fargle, you may want to think about keeping some units near Paris, so that it doesn't look tempting to Alex. He's friendly now, but it's Alex, so that means nothing, and he's had troops at your borders for a while now. I don't trust that jerk.

Also, good luck with that religion of yours spreading, considering you have both Haile and Cathy converting your cities, and Austria seems to be going the Missionary spam route. I can't see much relevance for Sikism in the game, especially if you become the rope in a Tug-of-War between Cathy and Alex.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I have internet again for a little while! Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'll be recording and scheduling the rest of the France LP tonight and the third game will start once that's finished and internet at the new house is up and running.

We'll be continuing with the Unique Improvements theme so which would you guys like to see for that third game?

1: Morocco
2: Inca
3: Polynesia
4: Portugal
5: Brazil

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Captain Fargle posted:

I'll be recording and scheduling the rest of the France LP tonight and the third game will start once that's finished and internet at the new house is up and running.

We'll be continuing with the Unique Improvements theme so which would you guys like to see for that third game?

Morocco.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Seconded. And then perhaps just carry on down the list.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Gonna vote for Polynesia, but the entire series has been a blast sofar.

Though the end of Ep3 kinda seemed bleak in terms of winning.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Polynesia

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Polynesia

Fargle can get back into the France game if he can manage to get out of the endless war cycle he's currently stuck in. Being right next to both Alex and Cathy, however, may prevent that.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Jesus christ this France game....

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Polynesia
surf's up bruh

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Fargle posted:

Jesus christ this France game....

Now you have to post it all at the same time. How bad is the Ping-Pong between Cathy and Alex?

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Captain Fargle posted:

Gimme dem Moai heads.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Voting for Morroco myself.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Frozen_flame posted:

Gonna vote for Polynesia, but the entire series has been a blast sofar.

Though the end of Ep3 kinda seemed bleak in terms of winning.

In the Grim France of the Fargleinium, there is only War.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Veloxyll posted:

In the Grim France of the Fargleinium, there is only War.

Speaking of which! Today's episode has just gone live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNcKs_PmB6Q

POLYNESIA WINS THE VOTING

As of now I've recorded up to Episode 13 of the France game. They're being uploaded and scheduled to Youtube now. Once I've finished recording the France game I'll start on Polynesia. Morocco, who came runner up, will be after that.

I'm going to be without proper internet again for a while so this will probably be my last update here till next week. Daily videos will still be released on the channel. Drop a subscribe if you want to keep an eye on them.

Thanks for watching everyone!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Enjoying this one a lot more than the dutch game - better commentary, volume levels, and situations.

It's great that your nation is ping-ponging between two wars, you're taking/losing/retaking Moscow, and in the meantime Paris is just building Wonders like the Sistine Chapel as though nothing's wrong.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Finally a successful invasion of Russia by the French.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Frozen_flame posted:

Finally a successful invasion of Russia by the French.

While Catherine the Great pouts and keeps offering the many historic "How Bout NOW" peace treaties.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, that decision to declare war on Alex doesn't seem to be going too well, considering you got just about every city state in the area at war with you too. I am kind of surprised that Austria hasn't been fighting Alex for the city states, though. I'm also surprised by her going to war with you, then signing a white peace about 5 turns later. The AI can be silly.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

ZeButler posted:

So, that decision to declare war on Alex doesn't seem to be going too well, considering you got just about every city state in the area at war with you too. I am kind of surprised that Austria hasn't been fighting Alex for the city states, though. I'm also surprised by her going to war with you, then signing a white peace about 5 turns later. The AI can be silly.

Perhaps she fully intended to go to war until she saw how many units were waiting. I hope they're not just blowing smoke about the AI being more sophisticated in VI.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Anoia posted:

Perhaps she fully intended to go to war until she saw how many units were waiting. I hope they're not just blowing smoke about the AI being more sophisticated in VI.

That's the thing though, from Austria's point of view, she only ever saw two Musketeers and a Crossbow, so no reason to quit fighting (just ignore the fact that a Musketeer was in a Citadel murdering them).

They really need to bring back the very clear opinion numbers they had in IV, so you can see just how much Alex covets your lands.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

The odd thing is they did have numbers early on in Civ 5. They disappeared at some point.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I love how Fargle's France is in the Industrial Era, yet they have no clue what a "boat" is. They just see these wooden... things sailing past Moscow and by Corinth, with no clue what they are or how they work.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

As a land-locked nation that has remained so through most of it's time, that makes more sense than it sounds.

Boats are hard. Boats that are holding hundreds of people as crew, even more so.

People have just...never bothered beyond small one-man craft, the most basic fishing, and the like(You get 1 Food from water even without proper Sailing, 2 Food from Fish, and Whales are 2 Food, 1 Gold).

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm not sure you can successfully whale in small one-man crafts. It might be a little bit dangerous.

• Locked thread