Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Sailor Moon Crystal is incredibly amazing.

Bloodly posted:

If I recall(And I may not be), that particular beat was there originally.

Takeuchi was basically just winging it from chapter to chapter. By the time she came up with making the four generals the past life boyfriends of the sailor guardians she already killed off three of them so the whole thing got a quick mention and was just as quickly forgotten, only coming up once or twice in some side chapters and at the end of the Sailor V manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Wait wait wait. Serena's mini-me is the reason the world is hosed forever? Ahahahahaha

I never knew that Serenity, God-Empress of Mankind ruling eternally over a dead world was the endgame of the series. That's :black101: as gently caress.

The future got better at the end of the second arc.

But then (manga and possibly future Crystal spoilers if anyone cares) an even more future Sailor Moon shows up in the present to tell current Sailor Moon that most of the galaxy has been wiped out by a cosmic evil and that she has to destroy the birthplace of universe to pre-emptively stop it, which in turn would simply doom the universe to a slower-burn extinction as no more stars would be born.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I think I used Super Sailor Moon exactly once and then figured it was bad. Luckily the game has no shortage of ways to break it though.

FractalSandwich posted:

That really annoyed me about the 12 episodes I saw, so I'm glad he's not supposed to be that way.

Half of manga Mamoru's arc is trying to figure out how to support his super heroine and future god-empress girlfriend while drawing the short end of the power stick with minor healing and being one of the dozen or so people with premonitions.

One thing I preferred in the manga over the anime is that he felt more like part of the team, when he did show up. When he was around whenever a monster or villain showed up he just joined up right away instead of conveniently disappearing for a surprise rescue halfway through the fight, whereas I seem to remember the anime doing that as late as the fourth season even.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

You'd think based on the above characters she'd get either wind or earth attacks, but no.

I mean, she does have a "Venus Sulfur Smoke" attack in the Sailor V manga, so there's that. Summoning giant fart clouds just isn't much of a team attack is all.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I fondly remember the Stars episode where Usagi and friends do e-sports.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like the part where they enter a contest for couples?

Or the hand thing?

They could change the dialogue all they wanted but there's only so much to do with the visuals.

Man, hearing those English names is super weird after growing up with the German dub just using the Japanes names (except Usagi becoming Bunny anyway).

esperterra posted:

Yeah Chibiusa's motivation to become Black Lady is always her huge Mamochan boner.

e: and isn't that fueled by how absent a mother Usagi ends up being, too? She wants her approval but always gets her father's or w/e

In the manga it's also because she was stuck being a six-year-old for the last 900 years and people looking down on her for it, so when Wiseman offered up a turbo puberty she jumped on that chance, hence why evil Chibiusa is also all grown up and stuff. From what I remember in the anime it was just because Wiseman brainwashed memories of people throwing a surprise birthday party of her into people forgetting her birthday and that made her turn evil?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

On the topic Haruka calling Usagi dumpling head/odango/whatever, the German dub went with "Mondgesicht", literally translating as "moon face" and meaning something like "having a round/chubby face". Doesn't make a whole ton of sense with Takeuchi's rail-thin characters but at least we got a moon joke in.

kefkafloyd posted:

I've wondered the same thing. If I'm Minako, I'm wondering where all my royalty checks from those Sailor V toys and games are.

I'm sure she can just ask her number one fan, the Tokyo chief of police, to collect checks for her.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think you goofed, but I'm just going to accept this as canon.

You'll be happy to know this is not a goof at all and the gay couple ends up raising baby Death.

Edit: I am questioning my own powers of literacy right now.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 16, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

If I was Rei I would probably pretend to be unconscious too just to avoid that conversation.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Edvarius posted:

This game may have some pretty crap writing (though how much of that is a piss poor translation I am now unsure of), but I will give it credit for having some interesting ideas in there, even if they're bungled in the execution. The neat idea in this update is the tempting dreams of what the villains could arrange for the heroes if they allow them to alter fate/destiny/whatever. Specifically Venus' dream, where the big desire they try to tempt her with is... never having been Venus. There's just something incredibly sad about that.

Of course the thing they tried to get Sailor Moon with was just stupid, as she was already fated to wind up with Mamoru. I mean their future daughter was standing right there.

The thing is that they already did that in the third arc of the manga, which I'm pretty sure predates this game, so the idea isn't even that original anymore.

Torrannor posted:

I think she's supposed to be several hundred years old or something like that. She doesn't seem to grow up for some reason.

There's some vague conjecture by the characters in the manga that whatever magic makes everyone in Crystal Tokyo stop aging at twenty-something and Chibi-usa being of mixed moon and earth heritage got her stuck as a six year old instead. Turning into a Sailor Guardian also seems to have jumpstarted her growing again for whatever reason. Also I think she's 900 years old, so it only took Usagi a good 100 years to decide to have a child.

Old anime Chibi-usa was just a normal-aged child I think, or at least they never mentioned her age from what I remember.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Dick Burglar posted:

Which of the main five turned out to be gay? That's news to me. Granted, I'm only familiar with Sailor Moon thanks to the old horrible DiC dub, but still.

I think END ME SCOOP means Rei and Minako, but it's pretty vague, really. Prior to the reveal I think they meant Minako was talking about how they'll totally have time to find boyfriends after they deal with the latest crisis, followed by some new character saying that's never gonna happen because they already got someone in their hearts, then a panel of Usagi and them agreeing. The implication being their duty as Sailor Guardians is more important to them than finding lovers or settling down or whatever.

On the other hand their body language was pretty gay in that scene from what I remember so it could go either way really.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cheese Pain posted:

Hi thread! I'm a little late because I wanted to read the whole thing before posting. I tried playing this game many years ago but got completely stonewalled by the solo Mercury chapter. I rage quit after my attempts to grind always ended in death and misery, so I'm really glad to see how the game progresses without having to endure the horrors for myself.

Mercury's chapter becomes somewhat less painful when you realise one thing about her (spoilered in case END ME SCOOB was gonna mention this later): Her Shabon Spray debuffs enemy attack power. Hit an enemy once or twice with it and they become pretty much unable to hurt you.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

This was also the point where I went "I get a miniscule damage drop if I use Shabon Spray versus the cost of the others, let's spam that longer". According to one person in the thread, Shabon Spray actually debuffs an enemy, which is mentioned nowhere in the game and signaled by nothing, but this too probably didn't hurt if true. (Is there some source of these secret bonus effects to Sailor skills I should be looking up? God, I'd love that knowledge for future chapters.)

I got it from this gamefaqs guide and it proved effective enough for me to make the front-row glass cannons not die in one hit all the time. After scouring some other guides though it seems that either Shabon Spray is either the only attack with a secret debuff effect or nobody cared to find out if there are any others.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

You're almost at the boss when you enter this abandoned throne room full of... are those corpses? I don't know what the everloving hell is going on with decor here. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DOING IN A LABORATORY

It's a bunch of those creepy porcelain dolls. There was a time frame in the manga where Mistress 9 took over but hasn't gone all long-haired yet where they played up Hotaru's gloomy child aesthetic instead.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Kaolinite was, like the Professor, a conscious host of a Daimon Egg for years prior to the Infinity Academy coming on the scene. She was basically second in command to the mad scientist, operated as the public face of the Academy as its principal, and was a complete badass. In the anime, she went "You know, I'll bet Sailor Moon would be a great host for one of these alien eggs", tried to rip her heart out, and when the direct approach failed, aimed to lure her into a trap. This backfired and she got tossed off the side of Tokyo Tower for her troubles, dying in the process.

She still ended up being the most skilled agent that the Death Busters had in a lessened state, and successfully brought about Mistress 9's awakening via trying to rip power out of Chibi-Usa instead of Usagi Prime, and because everyone in this agency was a real rear end in a top hat, Mistress 9 murdered her as thanks, remarking she was no longer needed.

That's a thing that happened a whole lot in the original anime version. Unlike the manga the Sailor Guardians aren't allowed to finish off human enemies, so to get them out of the story they either get redeemed by whichever move Sailor Moon has the current season, get killed by fellow henchmen because that's what evil guys do or whatever, or get murdered by their boss for having failed the last time. It does lead to great moments like one of the Witches 5 deciding the best way to move up in the world is by getting rid of her workaholic colleague by cutting her brakes and filling her car with snails so she'll careen off a cliff, though.

kefkafloyd posted:

I haven't read the end of the Sailor Stars manga chapters but (for those who never saw Stars in the US) in the anime she does come back because Usagi saves the day. Does it end differently in the manga?

Nah, Usagi fixes everyone's souls since she's basically Jesus.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FractalSandwich posted:

The secret is that the hundreds of people reading the thread who only have non-stories to tell aren't posting about them.

i watched it in elementary school and when playing make-believe during recess i had to be Tuxedo Mask because i was the only boy watching even though i wanted to be Mercury

this is my Sailor Moon story thank you for listening

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Leave Scoob's vote on the ground because he started this LP.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

Esmeraude was the halfway point in the Black Moon Clan, before Sir Creepy Motherfucker himself showed up. When the Spectre Sisters were out and Rubeus got baked alive, she became the face of the organization. How poorly this went for her depends on whether you find "becoming a Godzilla and disintegrating" or "Tuxedo Mask blowing your rear end up" more humiliating.

please do not make fun of Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber it is a powerful and majestic attack

edit:

grandalt posted:

To be fair to Demade, he only tried to do the time paradox thing after he had to kill his brother who was mind-controlled by Death Phantom and then found out that he couldn't kill Death Phantom because Death Phantom was a planet.

"had to" is overselling it a wee bit. His attempt at breaking his brother's brainwashing was just saying "hey bro, stop being brainwashed" and then murdering him when that didn't work and anything else would be too much effort. Let's not forget Demande was brainwashed too at the same time and all it took for him to break out of it was Death Phantom gloating about blowing up Earth and Demande remembering that he wanted to conquer that planet instead.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 20, 2016

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

For the record I am a very large fan of (manga) Tuxedo Mask, but I'm also aware I'm a minority here.

Yeah I also prefer manga Mamoru myself. I like his character arc of struggling to find ways to support his future god-empress girlfriend when he's got the bargain bin of superpowers while all the girls around him are literal super heroes. It beats just being slightly exasperated by Usagi's antics while always arriving to battle scenes fashionably late.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

like you wouldn't get your past self to babysit after raising your eight year old daughter for the last 900 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I forgot Apsu just randomly turns all-powerful from fusing with Sin. Coulda sworn there was more to it than "welp, we're 100% hosed, time to do the fusion dance".

MightyPretenders posted:

Considering how weird the difficulty levels are, I suspect the real problem you were having is that you've overleveled to the point of integer overflow screwing up damage calculations.

In my experience with the game, the characters' position in the formation makes a huge difference on damage calculations, and with the game neatly dividing everyone into high offense/low defense and high defense/low offense characters, you either end up with glass cannons in the front that die to a stiff breeze and invulnerable shields that can't knock down a cardboard cutout and exist only to toss out items because this game has a total of three moves that aren't attacks, or put offense in the back and defense in the front and end up with a party where nobody can deal damage but doesn't take damage.

The way the game works you could probably go from Saturn doing 999 damage in the front row and 9 in the back row.

• Locked thread