Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
if i worked for a company that made/supported online conferencing i'd do everything in my power to make the experience worse for all involved

actively sabotaging online meetings is doing the lord's work

fortunately cisco conferencing, webex, lynx, "skype for business" has got it covered so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
all three of the conference rooms on this floor now have inactive or non-working phone conferencing. Over the course of the year we've seen it's failed and rescheduled our weekly team meeting in one, then another, and finally the largest 20 person room

we walk in there today and the ipad thing is broken, good job telecommunications company your IT is worthless, now we have to go to another floor like refugees

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mad Wack posted:

Our 25 person conf call once got to listen to a VP order a shamrock shake from a mcdonalds drive thru, taste it, and send it back

thats a real power play

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

indigi posted:

I don't really understand what this means but the fact that someone wouldn't own up to it made me assume it's hilarious so I laughed anyway
I laughed at the idea of a guy joining two unrelated meetings together so everyone could hear each other so it's funny either way

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

it also had hotkeys for playing chesney hawkes over the voice comms. skype doesnt have that.
<joins big conference call, loads up duke nukem soundboard>
I've got balls of steeel. b-b-balls of steeel

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bhodi posted:

all three of the conference rooms on this floor now have inactive or non-working phone conferencing. Over the course of the year we've seen it's failed and rescheduled our weekly team meeting in one, then another, and finally the largest 20 person room

we walk in there today and the ipad thing is broken, good job telecommunications company your IT is worthless, now we have to go to another floor like refugees
Update, the conferencing setup is still broken after two months in all 3 conference rooms on the 6th floor, we continue to go up or down the stairs for meetings like refugees

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 17, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
people get really surly when you take away free coffee

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

at previous big telco the PMs were mostly sales people who hadn't made quota three quarters in a row but couldn't be made redundant because of paperwork effort
:five:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

Merry Christmas thread! I'll be posting from home today, and if all of your deliverables are met feel free to cut out around 2pm tomorrow.
Also here's a large complex task that i'd like to be mostly finished by the new year. I'll be unavailable for comments or clarification as I'm literally on the tarmac about to fly off to an island with no cell reception, see you on Jan 2nd!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Iridium posted:

that's what i used to tell them! nobody liked that tho.

we've since opened a second data center on the other side of the country where backups and, sometimes, cold standby servers / VMs are stored. but waaaaay more importantly, it's also not at all my loving problem anymore.
I was at a kickoff meeting where they were explaining this same questionnaire being sent to our apps and departments, and I asked "well what made the office implode?" the guy said statistically speaking a natural disaster, and i asked if they are taking into account the lowered productivity

"What do you mean? I'm not understanding the question."

"Well, if a hurricane flattens or floods everything within 50 miles, I'm not showing up for work on Monday, I'm at what's left of my home dealing with my family. What about everyone else?"

"Uhhh staffing is out of scope of this DR plan"

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Thanks Ants posted:

that's a nicer way of having to consider whatever flattens the datacenter also killing half your staff.
Yep, but it still should be considered even if the conclusion is a single piece of paper with the words "we'd be hosed, lets hope it doesn't happen" on it

Like, we could have probably survived one of our 8 DCs but the home campus and its DC that manages it all? Nooooope

e: its it's or its' i should have paid more attention in school

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 28, 2016

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

graph posted:

they were utterly perplexed, absolutely loving baffled, that moving just the domain controllers and basic auth stuff to AWS would cost around six figures a year
The licensing probably cost half that so it's not add bad a deal as it looks

It cuts out a lot of cruft that's hard to quantify in the same way contractors do, which is why they cost double employees' salary but are still preferred

Not typically a good solution for mid to large businesses' infra tho

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Iridium posted:

yeah we're building a p critical app, it needs to handle a huge amount of load, it peters out at about 200. a few managers, mine especially are freaking out over it, so they set up an all day session to get our vendors and our admins together.

i should only have to dial in for a little while to drop some sage advice and then peace out. i'm attached to the project but this is distinctly not my problem, though i do need to have half a clue what these people are up to.
haha i hope you're in the first quarter of the timeline, because load is not something you can retrofit onto a shittily coded app without either a complete rewrite or supporting it with unprofitable amounts of hardware

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's not his problem, he's just got a front row seat to the trainwreck which is really the optimum place to be

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 8, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
boss just told me a story of trying to telepresence our senior vp in another state and a third group at the same time yesterday. our IT dept was able to make all 3 see each other but only groups 1 and 2 could hear. someone came up with the bright idea of just using their phones for the audio. every time someone talked, it would echo endlessly across those two groups until after 20 minutes of trying the meeting was scrubbed

the senior vp was also drinking a beer during this whole thing

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
boss moved out to colorado and invited me to a meeting, their conference room is in a building called fiddler's green

if a corporate building as the afterlife is the most depressing thing, :wtc: were they thinking, did they even think, i suspect it is without even a hint of irony

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

vanilla slimfast posted:

fiddlers green is a concert venue. are you sure it wasn't just the name of the room in the building being named after it?

the area of Denver that is in is definitely depressing officepark wasteland tho, you got that right
you might be right, but I immediately thought of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler%27s_Green

today I walked in to discover they added a new phone conferencing product beside our current dead one. It appears to be to be windows CE based and takes more than 2 minutes to turn on. Co-worker remarked that it's what we used to have about a decade ago and they must have found it in storage. After fully booting, we discover it doesn't work either so we did the meeting crouched over my personal phone on speaker with two separate non-functional conference systems next to it on on the conference room desk

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 16, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mad Wack posted:

at my job we have three competing sso platforms with arcane rules around which ones can be used for what

ping is reliable but "legacy" and not allowed to have new apps
azure sso is down frequently and doesn't support basic features like deep links
the third platform is another instance of ping but it's not hooked up to the corporate directory so you have to manually add employees via a flat file attached to a service now ticket

also 2 & 3 go down on a daily basis taking most of the company platforms with them

we recently found out the reason number 3 goes down so often is that it is actually the test environment of #1 but someone decided to make it corporate policy to use that one instead of prod

also there are three identity and access management teams (five if you count our subsidiaries) and they are all in a crab battle to determine which team will continue to exist
this REALLY sounds like SAP

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mad Wack posted:

nah a huge global pharma company
you'll be pleased to learn SAP has the exact same AD issues. Well, had, since I left in disgust after the failed AD integration a full 3 years after we got bought

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Rex-Goliath posted:

qa : join this webex plz
me : what's up
qa : you're working on the source code fix, right?
me : yeah it's been done for a while but i keep getting pulled into meetings and haven't put in the merge request yet
qa : ok don't put in the merge request there's another issue that's come up- did richard reach out to you about it?
me : we just talked about the fix i just put in like- 30 seconds ago....
qa : no no- it's about the u.g.h. fix
me : the what?
qa : you-gee-aich
me : i'm searching all our transforms for that field and i'm not seeing it anywhere
qa : maybe it still had to be added- hold on i have richard joining the webex
richard : what's up
qa : i saw your message about the ugh issue. rex is saying he's ready is your fix ready as well?
richard : .... what?
qa : the ugh. you-gee-aich. the other thing that had to be fixed
richard : no i was saying 'ugh' because someone said this was fixed like last week but it wasn't so i had rex do it
qa : what
richard : like- ugh. you know? ugghhh- you spell that 'ugh'
qa : oh so we're good then
never quit this wonderful job

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
4pm meeting on a friday, a month before I'm laid off, from the boss who relocated rather than getting laid off with the rest of us. gently caress offffffff

https://twitter.com/kairyssdal/status/852893300025470976

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
came here to post that, you're really missing out if you pass, to skip 25s in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug