Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Iridium posted:

we have a guy in my office that I call wordydev.

wordydev has been with us for ages now and he's loving brilliant, great guy to work with. company has worked hard to keep him on hand and rightly so.

wordydev has a problem though, in that he's the God King of explainer-land. he starts covering a concept and feels like he has to go way the gently caress down the rabbithole trying to explain to everyone with no regard whatsoever to the need to explain it, or the need that it be understood. room full of business peeps so he can hear what they need doing? he'll start explaining how he'll do it down to the code level while they get bored or wander off to get coffee. this is such an issue that he told me once it was part of his annual performance objectives to try to stop pulling that poo poo. didn't work.

the problem is much, much larger when he's not there in person to pick up on the cues that he's going on too long, making conference calls a chore. few people are willing to remote-mute his line when he goes off on one of these tangents, and because he's busy talking, he rarely hears people shouting to tell him to stop, we got it.

a few weeks ago, wordydev went to working 100% remote.

:smithicide:

the problem is you're not saying it in a language he understands

tell him to do breadth first instead of depth first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

webex works ok I guess but I have weird audio issues w/ it.

nice linux

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you need a cat for bingo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

meetings exist to justify their own existence

you sure? you have time to discuss this monday? can you should set up the bridge or should i?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JewKiller 3000 posted:

diet soda is literally flavored sparkling water, optionally with caffeine

he means sweetened vs just "essenced"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mishaq posted:

actually its good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah lime isn't the best flavor, you should try mango

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

graph posted:

"upper management loves AWS until they get the first bill"

Amazon probably uses all their compute resources to optimize billing. it looks so reasonable until you do some math

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

holy poo poo our official, regulatory compliance approved sop still says and I loving quote "facsimile is to be the preferred method of communication, where cost is not prohibitive"

are you loving kidding me

like the whole thing doesn't even mention email wtf

i work for a company that has produced fax modems since they were invented. sales increased last year and are expected to increase again this year.

its absurd how many regulations faxes are exempt from

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

ooooh i love those meetings

"our product totally meets (regulatory requirement)!"
"Uh the requirement hasn't been published yet, can we see a copy?"
"well no but er see this technology is expected to work."
"what about XYZ condition?"
"err... well uh ah... well... as long as it's warm enough."
"you realize this is canada right?"

hey I had that temperature discussion with a customer a few weeks ago...
"we've had some problems with equipment that can't actually take the cold"
"our engineering is in Saint Paul Minnesota "
"oh, great"

only problem is they then want to talk about hockey

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

i have a direct report from one of these groups and her compensation is listed in my manager portal as NaN

if you have a budget of NaN does that mean spending more money doesn't change it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

only because we pay them to. and we only need to pay them to because our incompetent government couldn't build working rockets once they let politicians start setting production goals.

meanwhile our capitalist system has created much cheaper launch systems that will be filling the gap our failed government systems could not.

those "government" rockets are made by a monopoly formed by the previous competitors. you don't get more free market than that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

free markets with massive infrastructure requirements tend to form monopolies

see: standard oil

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

so what happens when you need to dial into someone else's bridge?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:japan:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

I interviewed at a place recently that was going to use blockchain in the online voting app the were developing as a means to have ensure security and integrity. Seemed like a pretty decent use of it. right?

blockchain means nothing now so it could've been usable

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/859609243774840834?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

conferencecall.biz should just be that on loop

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i like to change things up and have my cats yell instead

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seriously took some calls from home yesterday. I hit the unmute button and a cat appears on my desk or of nowhere, head butts the mic and starts meowing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Glans Dillzig posted:

lol yeah lemme give out my personal cell number to my coworkers pause not

it's been really useful when traveling

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sniep posted:

90% of all meetings in my company are over hangouts

google pays well at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

all conference room av systems are hot garbage unless they cost large amounts of :10bux: and even then that just lowers the temperature of the garbage. agreed?

audio only systems usually work ok

• Locked thread