Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Iridium posted:

we have a guy in my office that I call wordydev.

wordydev has been with us for ages now and he's loving brilliant, great guy to work with. company has worked hard to keep him on hand and rightly so.

wordydev has a problem though, in that he's the God King of explainer-land. he starts covering a concept and feels like he has to go way the gently caress down the rabbithole trying to explain to everyone with no regard whatsoever to the need to explain it, or the need that it be understood. room full of business peeps so he can hear what they need doing? he'll start explaining how he'll do it down to the code level while they get bored or wander off to get coffee. this is such an issue that he told me once it was part of his annual performance objectives to try to stop pulling that poo poo. didn't work.

the problem is much, much larger when he's not there in person to pick up on the cues that he's going on too long, making conference calls a chore. few people are willing to remote-mute his line when he goes off on one of these tangents, and because he's busy talking, he rarely hears people shouting to tell him to stop, we got it.

a few weeks ago, wordydev went to working 100% remote.

:smithicide:

could be worse, plenty of people out there who do this stuff except they don't even know what they're talking about

solution: find someone who he trusts + likes, who will frequently or always be in the same meetings as him. Pre-arrange an obvious signal for him to shut up, like right that second. Your first instinct is going to be some kind of subtle hand motion or something, forget that. Something big and obvious.... but now that I think about it I don't see anything that'll work with him in a quiet room talking into a mic with no one around to come tell him to put a sock in it. In an in-person meeting have the trusted person get up, walk over to him, and put their hand on his shoulder.

But remote? Yeah get ready to hear some details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Agile Vector posted:

im porting tribes 2 vgs to skype for business, should solve a lot of this

"Are we moving consistently toward release, or do we need to delay?"

VVD - "I don't know."

"Well setup some time to review issues and we'll discuss at our next scrum."

VSTO - "I'm on it."

"Oh, I just got a ping from business, let me forward the invite…"

VWE - "Incoming hostiles!"

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

shazbot!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

in the sprint this week it really dawned on me how rough the people calling in have it. one person, shana, always gets ribbed about turning her volume up hahah lolol we can hear each other just fine. the meeting consists of

2 people with rather quiet speaking voices

2 people with what I would class as "normal" volume voices

1 person who never, ever speaks at more than a mumbled whisper. also he always puts his laptop between him and the microphone. this man is the lead developer.

1 person whose voice ranges from "very loud" to "please speak quieter, you're hurting my ears ow"

shana apparently is using headphones plugged in to her desk phone with all volume everywhere turned up to max. she still can't hear what the whisperer says and often has a hard time hearing the 2 "rather quiet" people. just realized the loud person is probably blowing out her eardrums every time they open their mouth.

it's me, I'm the loud one :negative:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

drove 2 hours to attend a vendor presentation because said vendor claims to have god-technology that will turn my whole industry upside down and has been highly cagey with anything resembling a detail. wanted a chance to look someone in the face and get some questions answered

someone on the call seems to be scuba diving, or perhaps preparing dinner? just loud gurgling and popping noises going on and on at full volume. no voices or toilets, just mysterious fluid sounds

telecon start time rolls around. no presenter in sight. presenter walks into the room at 8 minutes past the hour, takes out laptop and gets it booting. the host says ok can you give me the slides so I can put them on the podium computer and they can go out via gotomeeting.

presenter says "skype?".
host: "the people on the call are all on gotomeeting."
presenter: "skype??"
host: "they are on gotomeeting. the client only takes a moment to-"
presenter: "that computer wouldn't have the codecs to play these slides."
host: "I guess you could skype me, then I could share that over goto"
agreed

we were then treated to some .3 fps videos, a quarter of an hour after the presentation was due to start. the presenter walked around the room, further and further from the telecon phone on the table, while talking with his hands and using his phone as a prop.

Q&A time:
some lady mumbles a 5 minute long question. i was sitting 10 feet away from her in the same room and heard not one word. presenter does not repeat her question into the mic, summarize, or give any clue as to what the lady just said. they carry on back and forth for a few minutes. no relevant information appears to have been exchanged anyhow.

remainder of Q&A consisted of him repeating marketing bullet items at me and trying to avoid having taking questions from me. not enough people on the call or in the meeting to do a clean job of that though lol

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Corla Plankun posted:

why would you ever do this? did you get a per diem or paid miles or something?

took a company car, the extra time can be used as pto whenever i want. So I worked 5 extra hours, i can take off at 11 am on monday or any other day if i want. this kind of time doesn't expire, though you are limited in how much you can carry from pay period to pay period.

this vendor had been making these claims for almost 2 years, we have some small contracts with them, i wanted Some Goddamn Answers. so we showed up in person and i asked about a ton of unaddressed problems.

it's a small industry, no details. But the fact that they kept resorting to marketing talking points- while 5 levels of senior scientists in my org were listening- might give people some pause.

• Locked thread