Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how else would you do it than dozen of you around a polycom and four of them around an iPhone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

while one person on each end talks, ever

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

might as well just call it a phone call with witnesses

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah this call has rotating hosts and a couple manage to actually keep a schedule and keep things in the call moving, the rest are completely loving useless. "ok first on the agenda is this thing...any questions?" *allows call to descend into utter chaos, doesnt speak again until the very end of the call* "ok we'll cover the rest of the items next week"

lol if you don't start the call that way then just leave for the rest of the duration

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i never have online meetings, just good old fashioned conference calls. better get off the group call-in number before the next meeting shows up!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Probably more than that. we've got a new setup like half of that with one TV a nice cam a tablet control and a pair of loose wired mics that was at least 5k, maybe 10

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

maniacdevnull posted:

That one rear end in a top hat who gives you a passive aggressive ping when you decline a meeting. 'oh, your calendar said you were free' yeah that don't mean i am at your disposal cocknuts

also goog keyboard read my swipe as agile instead of rear end in a top hat, loving Smooth

people get extremely angry when i decline invites that are definitely irrelevant to me, like they will find me and be like 'why the hell did u decline this half hour meeting scheduled a month from now that doesnt involve u at all' and its like ??? what?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my coworkers think they're being clever when they just start ccing more and more people on their whiny emails

as though its some trick they came up with

as though its something to be proud of

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

working from home so i called in to the "standup"

cant hear poo poo

pretty happy about that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I made sure to test out my mute so I could talk poo poo about the meeting to the room

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

Our 25 person conf call once got to listen to a VP order a shamrock shake from a mcdonalds drive thru, taste it, and send it back

thats a real power play

hahahaha

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I am in a conference call it's exactly what you would expect

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

*garble garble garble* IS NOW JOINING

*screaming* can you repeat that?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

five people crammed in a sweaty office, yelling at a 30 year old speakerphone

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I blew the mind of a young engineering colleague recently by alt tabbing.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

somewhere there was a program for listening to your conference call for you that'd do STT and give you a notification if your name was said

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

*crackle crackle* HAS JOINED THE CALL

*wind* sorry what slide are we on???

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you even have a security director

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we started painting some of our walls with whiteboard paint. it has gone predictably

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Arcsech posted:

well i mean, my prediction would be walls that look like a preschool because people will start writing on the walls assuming they've been whiteboard-painted and welp

lol its this

we also just throw the markers and erasers on the floor next to the walls like cavemen

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i have not checked my work voice mail nor answered my work phone in over two years

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

in a conference call just now starting

already had some random person call in

ah good our line is double booked lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Iridium posted:

oh poo poo that reminds me

in addition to my company's general conference line like the webex / skype poo poo, our phone system has several dedicated conference lines. no special access code is needed, it's for emergencies: if there's a massive outage, you can dial into just a basic phone number from anywhere at all and be on the bridge. they're not commonly used now (short of super severe network emergencies), but when i first joined the company and worked in operations it was the standard. each time we had a critical outage, they'd send out the alert and one of us would have to hop on.

but this got to being a problem because absolutely everyone could call in, and the number would spread very quickly. the people trying to work on the issue would be trying to coordinate and do poo poo, but the 'problem manager' would want constant updates, and demand that everyone stop talking to update whatever other random middle manager hopped on and demanded info. as you'd expect, this became a complete clusterfuck, so they tried to implement a rule saying that people working the issue would be on line X, while anyone needing noncritical updates would have to call line Y, where the problem manager would pop over and provide updates. except guess what: the numbers never changed. so everyone would just call in to line X anyway and start making demands. on top of that, though, we discovered that in a few instances, former employees would call in for the hell of it now and then (there'd be something every day usually), with one that they discovered had been doing so for multiple years. a few managers freaked out but they didn't really have a way to stop him. he'd just sit and listen though so it's not like anyone cared.

around the time i switched out of operations it had become standard for people working the issue to call in to line X on their desk line, then just call one another on personal cell phones to actually coordinate work. we'd get yelled at for doing so because 'everything is supposed to be open so nobody who might have a solution is left out'. didn't stop anyone.

you buried the real gem there in the penultimate paragraph there lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the great part is that devops is viewed as distinct from dev, immediately self-defeating

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dos a conference line with one weird trick

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

*i dial in
*other person dials in

*person integral to call doesn't dial in

5 minutes of silence later

"reschedule?"
"yep"
"later"

fwiw this is even worse when it's a physical meeting in a conference room in another building

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

nope these meetings are always listed as not canceled, said as not canceled, then the one guy doesn't show up

its always the same guy

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

im the recurring meeting scheduled every monday for the past 2 months and the next indefinitely that we've never held but instead received cancellation notices for the day of between 2 hours before and 5 minutes after the start time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this is our weekly stand up meeting for this project. we've literally never had it.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

also the project doesn't exist except for in the mind of a single pm

lol if only. ive worked on it full-time for years

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ah good. 10:30 meeting, which was scheduled 2 hours ago, has been canceled

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quit

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

We're such cheap fucks we charge for the poo poo in office coffee. want the bean water? fifty cents. pay up

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Let's try to avoid stack ranking threads

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that's nice. our promotions tend to be a title change, more work, and the same money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

lol if you don't have a good pm that you respect

[loling loudly]

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk if its just our setup or general but holy crap skype for business is a loving atrocious im client. like im pretty sure i could make a better-in-literally-every-way system in, idk, half a day

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wish i could

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a locally-hosted slack-like that i could deploy with no oversight from it would have a glimmer of hope but that's still prob not gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol my 365 credentials

• Locked thread