Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Adix posted:

i didn't know I could feel 'triggered' until I found this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

skype for business and blue jeans are very bad

ive never had issues with webex but i only ever do those with other companies, we dont have it

we used to have gotomeeting and it always just worked but we stopped using that now

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

loving blue jeans is
A W F U L  G A R B A G E
and i have no clue how they stay in business because nobody uses it again after the first time

when i first joined we had like 5 active systems, blue jeans being the "main" one

we're now down to blue jeans and skype for business, the plan is to phase out blue jeans but about 10% of my internal conferences are still on it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

blue jeans is really bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

skype for business is ok if you only ever chat and teleconference.

never share files.

screen sharing is ok.

the chat is awful what the gently caress are you talking about

i bet it tries to establish as SIP call for each block of text and half the time it fails for some reason

its mind boggling how unreliably it delivers text

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the screen sharing and audio are
good i will admit

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yeah that would make it worthless. need to have a legit client.

both slack and hipchat have legit clients, as well as mobile clients that actually work and synchronize messages across all clients

and even know to only push notifications to your phone when youre away from your computer, what a concept

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

in my expierience, if I send an IM while somoene has a green dot next to their name then they get the message. if not, they get it via email hours later.

half the time i send an IM in my company I get a spinny wheel and it never actually goes through

or it goes through and then i get a bounceback message a minute or two later saying it timed out or something

1-on-1 calls, group calls, screensharing and skype for business meeetings work almost flawlessly though :iiam:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

lol that sounds like some idiot or some group of idiots set it up poorly

no idea how you do that, but I'm sure it can happen

if everything didn't work i would blame the idiots, but why JUST IM?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

same guy that joins every meeting both via phone and computer without disabling the built-in mic on his laptop, causing a feedback loop

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

* this was the best, somehow in an attempt to conference someone in the host dialled into someones voicemail so then they recorded the entire meeting and then got a "warning, this message is too long, please hang up, please hang up..." on repeat blasted out at everyone and probably hosed that persons voicemail up completely (good because voicemail is worthless)

we've had people put the conference bridge on hold instead of mute from europe so it starts blasting "please wait, your call is important to us" or whatever the gently caress in german

this has happened multiple times

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Arcsech posted:

Honestly probably the most reliable method if you only have two endpoints

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

we scheduled a bluejeans meeting this morning because someone has used bluejeans with this customer previously and we didn't want to give them yet another conferencing system to fumble around with

half of the customer side attendees couldnt get it to work, we switched to skype for business, lost 15 minutes doing this

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

did you go from your skype 4 business 2 their skype 4 business or did they come in on some external 3rd party thing that connects to ur skype 4 business? I haven't done much research on it but seems to me the ability to have connectivity between organizations who are both using skype 4 business would be good.

the customer used their own Skype for business which was easy to connect to but trying to present was a struggle, even after they explicitly made me a "presenter" instead of an "attendee", which is the default permission for someone outside your organization

lost more time dealing with that

also gently caress who ever's idea it was to use blue jeans when the customer uses skype for business like we do normally

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

all companies that would list telecoms as their primary focus are unbelievably awful at IT

that's because telecoms are run by dumb as gently caress people

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

use both, garbage quality pstn connection with a 20 year old phone, and then slightly delayed laptop microphone with the setting to play audio back through the speakers turned on.

cell phone is worse quality than an old landline due to the more aggressive compression

an older cell phone (so it doesn't have dual mics for noise cancelling) outside during a windy day and never mute it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

lol if you don't start the call that way then just jack off for the rest of the duration :jackbud:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bluejeans always defaults to video on, so you gotta make sure you turn it off every time you join a meeting.

only on mobile apps, desktop app doesn't

Shaggar posted:

wow blue jeans sounds like a piece of poo poo

it's really bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Space Whale posted:

Architect is taking a call while riding his bicycle. Hear wind and traffic.

Looooooooooooooool

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

death to all forms of conference calling technology

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i've been aware for a while now that most of our meetings hosted through bluejeans are totally open to the public, you just need to know the meeting name. the meeting name is usually first letter of first name + lastname.

most people assume that you need to be on the vpn or have an sso ticket or something, but no, you can just join in. i'm not really concerned about anyone joining my own meetings, but there are some people here who would be targetted for that kind of thing by people on the internet.

i've alerted the bluejeans team and they just tell me 'working as intended' because sales people use meetings in this way.

lol

skype for business at least gives an audible alert to the meeting if someone from outside your organization that didn't specifically get an invite joins a meeting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

my only problem with skype for business online business 2 business meetings is that everyone uses their computer for audio which exposes you to loads of bad built in mics and poor internet connections.

built in mics in laptops are still much better quality than dialing in with your phone

the problem i see too often is people leaving the built in mic on their laptop on while simultaneously dialing in on their deskphone for nice feedback loops

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

had two back to back skype for business meetings today

first one was running a few minutes over so people for the second meeting joined as the first one was finishing

new attendees had full audio, but were unable to see desktop screen sharing and original remaining presenters had to leave and rejoin for them to be able to see anything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

yeah. I just now realized I can IM people who also have skype for b in other orgs.

:aaa:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

it cannot handle text chat if you have more than one device. the use case of starting a chat on a phone and then getting back to your desk and wanting to continue it is not one they considered.

it cant even handle text chat if you have one device

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

Our 25 person conf call once got to listen to a VP order a shamrock shake from a mcdonalds drive thru, taste it, and send it back

thats a real power play

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my DECT headset at work has really nice range so sometimes i take shits while on calls and get paranoid about whether or not mute is actually on

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Iridium posted:

we have 10 minutes to go and have not addressed the purpose of this meeting.

meetings exist to justify their own existence

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

recorded meetings are always the best because 99% of the time they'll never be rewatched and then 1% of the time they will they're be terrible quality with all the distractions a disorganized conference call can have

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

company has two locations about 120 miles apart, spent a load of money turning a room in one office into a video conference room, didn't buy anything for the other office. one guy travels between the two sites three days a week to sit at a desk and work on email, and maybe once a month has to have a face-to-face meeting.

any money you spend on conferencing stuff you might as well burn or just buy a load of beers with.

that dude better have a side piece he's banging near the other office and uses the travel as an excuse for his wife

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

A guy in my office has Skype set up on his iPhone and, inexplicably, his iPad too.

They ring about half a second out of sync, and once he inevitably answers on the phone the iPad keeps ringing for like 30 seconds after. If he hangs up on the iPad while it's ringing it hangs up the call on his phone too, so he has to half shout into the phone to be heard over the still-ringing iPad sat next to him on the desk.

the mobile client is really bad

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i seriously suspect lync/skype for business establishes a SIP session for each IM conversation

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Necc0 posted:

someone doesn't realize they aren't muted and is sighing REALLY loudly like every 30 seconds

my coworker who lives 1500 miles from
me never mutes himself on any of our group calls and loves to hum to himself or react audibly to whatever he's reading instead of paying attention to the meeting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

10am real time.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

I blew the mind of a young engineering colleague recently by alt tabbing.

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Necronomoticon posted:

is the IM support in office 365 any decent?

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

*joins webex* "hey i'm here"
*mute mic, do other stuff for an hour*
*unmute mic* "thanks for that guys, good presentation, bye"

*gets asked a question*
*scrambles to find mute button after hearing your name*
"sorry, I didn't catch the second half of what you said, could you repeat that?"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

webex voip is trash

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

thread over

• Locked thread