Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably will be ok as long as the skype dude has a good connection. also polycom is real good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
their phones are, atleast. never used their server side stuff

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sounds like someone broke the plug. cant really blame that on the polycom.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i did another GoToMeeting the other day and it worked fine. also did a skype for business meeting and it worked fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

skype for business and blue jeans are very bad

ive never had issues with webex but i only ever do those with other companies, we dont have it

we used to have gotomeeting and it always just worked but we stopped using that now

we mostly use GoToMeeting and it works well. skype for business works well for quick internal meetings or calls.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its just so loving bad at chat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I guarantee the chat sucking is an artifact of how it stores the chats: in your outlook pst and not in real time.

i mean drat just do persistent chat sessions on the server and display the last 10 messages whenever you reopen a chat w/ the client and load more if the user scrolls back. ez.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
does hipchat have a legit client or is it web only/3rd party comedy client?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

like with slack, I only use the web client for hipchat.

yeah that would make it worthless. need to have a legit client.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

lol that sounds like some idiot or some group of idiots set it up poorly

no idea how you do that, but I'm sure it can happen

if its an internal server maybe, but our skypes for business is on office 365 and sometimes I have the client not get a message on one of 2 devices. its bad and they need to go to persistent server side chat w/ client side notifications. its beyond easy to do but they're stubborn as gently caress about it cause OUTLOOK

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

we scheduled a bluejeans meeting this morning because someone has used bluejeans with this customer previously and we didn't want to give them yet another conferencing system to fumble around with

half of the customer side attendees couldnt get it to work, we switched to skype for business, lost 15 minutes doing this

did you go from your skype 4 business 2 their skype 4 business or did they come in on some external 3rd party thing that connects to ur skype 4 business? I haven't done much research on it but seems to me the ability to have connectivity between organizations who are both using skype 4 business would be good.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

yall get ready, the quarterly yospos conference call is coming up.

i'll have a bridge running off my asterisk box we can dial into, and there may be a webex

UGH, JUST USE THE WEBEX AUDIO GOD drat

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wow blue jeans sounds like a piece of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I use goto meetings or skype for business. works for me.

webex works ok I guess but I have weird audio issues w/ it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Space Whale posted:

Architect is taking a call while riding his bicycle. Hear wind and traffic.

Looooooooooooooool

tell him he has a lot of background noise and then put him on mute.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I had a skype for business online business meeting today. it was kind of cool that u click the link and my skype for business just connects to the meeting. the audio quality was balls but I think that was just lovely mics on other computers.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
old people will never be able to figure out conference calls because they don't understand the core concept of buttons in the meeting application vs buttons on the phone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
my only problem with skype for business online business 2 business meetings is that everyone uses their computer for audio which exposes you to loads of bad built in mics and poor internet connections.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have a headset its other people that don't.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

skype for business online works fine for that, sorry about your lovely messaging team

yeah its actually pretty cool how meetings w/ external people work cause you click a link and then ur connected to them via your already logged in skype for b client. screen sharing and all that works the same. the only problem is that it encourages people to use their computers for call ins and lots of people have poo poo mics/connections.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

polycom vvx phones with the skype firmware join skype conferences muted by default. the best feature a phone has ever had.

the skype for b client does this as well.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. I just now realized I can IM people who also have skype for b in other orgs. if the IM client wasn't so bad this would be the best chat/conference system

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can control it but I guess its enabled by default

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol we should have yosskype4b.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ungh Microsoft this is the best product with the worst UI. fix this pleaeaaasse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

it cannot handle text chat if you have more than one device. the use case of starting a chat on a phone and then getting back to your desk and wanting to continue it is not one they considered.

I either get everything on both clients or random parts on one client. it definitely doesn't take client status (screen lock/location/etc...) into consideration.

I like when you get a new I'm and click on the alert and then you're confused because theres nothing there but you remember "oh, skype" and you scroll down to get the message.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then when I get home all the missed chat notifications on my phone get replayed to my windows 10 computors.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
merge skype and skepy for business. make skype part of windows with support foir multiple accounts. keep all chat sessions server side w/ the clients as dumb terminals.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

lync tight skepy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

Our 25 person conf call once got to listen to a VP order a shamrock shake from a mcdonalds drive thru, taste it, and send it back

thats a real power play

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if both sides are on skype 4 b it should work pretty well, but if you aren't all on skype 4 b then its anybody's guess what happens

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
office 365 is exchange and active directory. you have to powershell to the exchange session in order to tweak certain things that aren't in the web ui.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gently caress tho they want $6 per user per month for azure ad premium which is a kick in the balls.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Necc0 posted:

does skype for business have banner ads? if there's one thing that bugs me the most about normal-skype is those drat banner ads stealing my focus at random times

normal skype doesn't have banner ads

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it doesn't.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think it used toi have them a few years ago when it was skype for skype but Microsoft skype doesn't have them afaict

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

i seriously suspect lync/skype for business establishes a SIP session for each IM conversation

it definitely does. or maybe some other sip backed session

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

10pm for me (in china), 7am for california, 4pm for denmark

10am real time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

*gets asked a question*
*scrambles to find mute button after hearing your name*
"sorry, I didn't catch the second half of what you said, could you repeat that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coffeecup posted:

Voip will randomly decide to crap out for me during a webex call, which is really fun when I'm the host and can't properly rejoin until I end the meeting and start a new one. I hope the muzak distracts people from thinking of me as a tech illiterate moron

webex voip is trash

• Locked thread