Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Today a university kid lost his iphone and my mom found it. She's never used a smartphone at all, so I'm trying to talk her through how to reach his contacts list but I've never used an iphone. Anyway, while looking for instructions I noticed this iphone icon.

Do kids today even know what that is a picture of? Have they even seen a handset that style IRL? I think it's been more than 20 years since I saw one that style in anyone's house. I guess the handsets on payphones still look like that, but I've barely seen any payphones in the last few years either. Will we still be using this as the symbol for phone in another 20 years?

Or this:

Have y'all ever seen static outside a horror movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
old movies exist, op.

hope this helps

also, balls, suck them etc etc

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I think that fuzzy snow image gets simulated in some applications and other poo poo to convey no dignal.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's interesting that the quote “The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel” would probably read as "blue" to a modern audience.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Considering a poo poo load of millennials grew up with landline phones and rabbit ears on the TV? I remember what a phone and TV static are/look like, but it really wasn't that long ago.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

H.H posted:

old movies exist, op.

hope this helps

Yeah, that's why I said IRL and outside a horror movie. This isn't something obscure like Lawn Darts that only a few kids ever had. Handsets like that used to be a constant part of everyday life, at least until the 80s when they were replaced with "sleeker" squarish versions. I don't even want to think of the hours I spent fiddling with the TV antenna trying to get the picture a little clearer through the static. And now those experiences are just gone.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I was fine with local access channels. Ahhh channel 35: xena warrior princess, Adventures of Hercules, and sewer sharks in the morning. Plus I could get WWF and those weird late night shows that have nudity displaying the private lives of strippers.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
You telling me they used to beam tv through the air? Instead of the internet hose? what app do I get so I can receive these secret channels??

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
It looks like some kind of courgette or pastry.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
I think it looks like some kind of double edged dildo. Did people used to talk into dildoes??

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i still have a lovely old square TV from the 90s and it gets static if i change the channel on the TV itself

so, yes

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

i think you're confusing millennials with whatever dip poo poo name is eventually coined to the generation after, op

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Minions. They are the little yellow guys from that cartoon movie. They are supposed to cheer you up I think.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
Oops, sorry. That's what I get for skipping the OP

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

kazr posted:

i think you're confusing millennials with whatever dip poo poo name is eventually coined to the generation after, op
Gen Z, iGen, Generation "Oh-my-god-everything-is-hosed", etc.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
generation minion

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I think this question only applies to people born after 2004, so ask symbolic.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hating on millennials is played out. Much like millennials themselves.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
There are even more obsolete tech formats that still get used as iconography. (Hint: no one's used one of these in 20 years, and its the save icon)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
How does high school even work anymore? If I had a computer phone in high school I would have just been constantly beating off instead of paying attention.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Jukeboxblues posted:

I think this question only applies to people born after 2004, so ask symbolic.
you can't see it, but i'm angrily snapchatting my response

it's a picture of my penis

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

millenals dont even know that when your tv breaks you get a picture of a cigar store indian jesus christ

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Poltergeist taught me to be very afraid of the sign off music that plays before the signal cuts off at night.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I would imagine that pretty much any business they go into would have phone receivers, so those shouldn't be a mystery.

Facebook Aunt posted:

This isn't something obscure like Lawn Darts that only a few kids ever had.

I don't think those are that obscure. Pretty much every kid I knew had a set of Jarts, they were a very popular toy. Maybe it was just a Midwest thing, I don't know.

Even my grandma had a set, for when bocce seemed too formal.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

dethkon posted:

How does high school even work anymore? If I had a computer phone in high school I would have just been constantly beating off instead of paying attention.

That's pretty much it.

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

you can't see it, but i'm angrily snapchatting my response

it's a picture of my penis

Hell yeah

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Like if you knew a kid with polio.

Share if you remember eating leaded paint chips at school.

Comment if you were taught that duck and cover would save your rear end from a nuke.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
the real question is whether kids today who havent been to a football game think that the line of scrimmage and first down lines are projected onto the field IRL

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000

that's most of us here, so i dont get the hate?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or this:

Snow Crash

its a thing.

and a kick rear end cyberpunk book

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Today a university kid lost his iphone and my mom found it. She's never used a smartphone at all, so I'm trying to talk her through how to reach his contacts list but I've never used an iphone. Anyway, while looking for instructions I noticed this iphone icon.

Do kids today even know what that is a picture of? Have they even seen a handset that style IRL? I think it's been more than 20 years since I saw one that style in anyone's house. I guess the handsets on payphones still look like that, but I've barely seen any payphones in the last few years either. Will we still be using this as the symbol for phone in another 20 years?

Or this:

drink bleach

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

That's a record player. My grandpa told me about them. People used to use them before Spotify.

This is a polaroid. My dad says they used to use them before cell phones to talk to people or something.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Sorry you're having a hard time adjusting, grandma

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kazr posted:

Hmm, you're probably right. Time all runs together when you get to be my age. (Gen Xer here.) I'll try making the thread again in 15 years.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bismuth posted:

Sorry you're having a hard time adjusting, grandma

It's been a struggle, I tell you what. I got my first smartphone last month. So shiny, but I had a heck of a time figuring out how to make a phone call with no keypad.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
These drat kids just don't know about obsolete technology!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hmm, you're probably right. Time all runs together when you get to be my age. (Gen Xer here.) I'll try making the thread again in 15 years.
Back in my day we kept a pen by the rotary phone to dial more accurately. And we liked it!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Nonviolent J posted:

most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to around 2000

that's most of us here, so i dont get the hate?

Wait, what? I thought it went Gen X, Gen Y, then Millenials, but it turns out the Millennials are Gen Y? Boy is my face red.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's been a struggle, I tell you what. I got my first smartphone last month. So shiny, but I had a heck of a time figuring out how to make a phone call with no keypad.
A lot of millenials are too poor for smart phones. Check your class privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait, what? I thought it went Gen X, Gen Y, then Millenials, but it turns out the Millennials are Gen Y? Boy is my face red.
Yeah the young ones are called "Digital Natives" by retarded sociologists, but I prefer Gen Z, because they're zombied out by their computers from age 1+!!!

• Locked thread