Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bismuth posted:

A lot of millenials are too poor for smart phones. Check your class privilege.

You want to go there? LOL. I have a Moto E. It cost $30 more than a flip phone. It's really only a smartphone when I can get a free wifi signal, because I didn't spring for a data plan. I only got it at all because a province-wide unlimited plan through chatr costs $5 less per month than a landline.

I am white though. Being white owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

jBrereton posted:

Back in my day we kept a pen by the rotary phone to dial more accurately. And we liked it!

I miss my rotary phone.

Did you know you can tell the importance of your city (at the time of area code implementation) based your area code? Since precious time was wasted waiting for the wheel to click back from anything other than 1-3, those numbers were reserved for cities of greater importance.

For example New York got 212, Los Angeles got 213 and Chicago got 312. If your area code had a 0 for the middle number, you knew you were unimportant, as it took forever to return from dialing 0.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

What I miss about being a kid with no mobile phone is that calling your friends place but not having anything to say wasn't weird because it was the only way to connect at a distance. I had tons of calls where we would just be on the phone saying very little, or maybe watching a TV show 'together'.

Now that social media allows my acquaintances to share their lives with me regularly I don't really miss spending time with them, and catching up feel like some kind of social obligation instead of something to look forward to.

e: Becoming jaded and bitter with age probably also has a bit to do with it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
yesterday i saw some millennials and boy i got mad they were millennialling all over the place and i think i got a little bit of millennial on me when i ran them over with my car

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This one time a millenial just wallked up to my door and millenial'd all over the porch like some kind of disgusting animal. I could hardly believe my eyes. He was not just a millenial, but one of those trendy millenials, who like the millenial every time I looked away. I tried to shoo him off my property but he kept millenialing and I didn't want to get millenial on my hands so I just closed the door and locked it and hoped he would millenial off.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

When I was a kid, millenials didn't millenial, they just millenialed, but now that I'm older, wiser, and more experienced, I pretty much can't stand millenials when they millenial.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

TheMostFrench posted:

I had tons of calls where we would just be on the phone saying very little, or maybe watching a TV show 'together'.

Maybe it's being an adult, but the idea of spending several hours on the phone with someone I saw regularly is incredibly foreign now.

I had so many calls start with "OK hold on, what channel? Wait we have cable, what commercial is on now? Duracell bunny? OK got it. Oh, it's back on. What did I miss?" *laughing together*

Now if Verizon offered a cheaper plan that had 5 minutes of talk time but unlimited texts, I'd sign up in a heartbeat.

Also, because I grew up in a rural area with several high schools, I'd sometimes meet kids from other schools, and keep up deep friendships just by sending letters to each other. In fact, we figured out that you could steam the stamp off an envelope and glue it to another envelope, and they'd accept it again.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

kazr posted:

i think you're confusing millennials with whatever dip poo poo name is eventually coined to the generation after, op

Generation X2: X-Men United

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
*picture of a job*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
hmm im going to save my file, better get out my trusty floppy disk!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

Considering a poo poo load of millennials grew up with landline phones and rabbit ears on the TV? I remember what a phone and TV static are/look like, but it really wasn't that long ago.

So much this.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do people just not understand what age group millenials actually are? I was born in 87 and remember having a rotary phone and a big credenza-style cathode-ray tube TV.

And loving Zenith VCR. poo poo owned.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

hmm im going to save my file, better get out my trusty floppy disk!

There really isn't anything better. I mean you could use a thumb drive but how are you going to make it into a tiny iconic symbol? Floppy discs were standardized and everybody just recognizes the save icon as what it is now.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Really, I think it's akin to how sometimes name brands end up meaning the products themselves. E.g: Kleenex means a tissue, Jacuzzi means a hot tub, etc.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

I'm solidly millennial (28), and I remember in grade school watching slide presentations accompanied by narration on a record. 1990 was as close to 1970 as it was to 2016, even closer actually.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Why are goons in their 30s complaining about Millennials being what they always wanted to be?

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Twelve Batmans posted:

Do people just not understand what age group millenials actually are? I was born in 87 and remember having a rotary phone and a big credenza-style cathode-ray tube TV.

I'm 31 years old and therefore have no memory of the world before the year 2000.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
My friend's little brother is now 26 and got his first cell phone at the age of 13. He asked us why he didn't hear a dial tone when he turned it on.

Smashurbanipal
Sep 12, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A SHITTY POSTER

fits my needs posted:

Why are goons in their 30s complaining about Millennials being what they always wanted to be?

jealousy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
these loving millennials and their work/life balance and not know ing the value of the almighty american dollar. why in my day we worked until we dropped dead or our neglected wives cheated on us , why cant these little shits be

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
they got nothing but poo poo from older people so now they feel vindicated doing the same to the next gen I guess

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine
"a clue"? lol

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I didn't get a cellphone until 2007 when I moved out and didn't have a phone line in my student apartment. A good clamshell pay as you go. I got my first smart phone in 2011 because I wanted Internet on my phone so I can find stores and have a digital map after using a phone book map of Honolulu.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
loving kids these days don't even know how to shoe a horse or build a wattle and daub house. am i right fellas?

cub
Sep 6, 2014

by Shine

Tricky D posted:

loving kids these days don't even know how to shoe a horse or build a wattle and daub house. am i right fellas?

im going to kill you

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Recognizing a gay op is timeless 🙅🏿

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Twelve Batmans posted:

Its gen Z that doesn't know what this poo poo is, not millenials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0sJ91OIjU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

cub posted:

im going to kill you

come at me bro. i've been training with medicine balls each morn for a fortnight.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Who are you even talking to OP

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
apologies react is garbage but that show cases the right age group of idiot gen y

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It seems to me that the main attraction of those reaction videos is people making funny faces, that's what babies laugh at.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I own the mirror mirror episode of star trek on a selectavision disk just to out hipster everyone on media formats.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Bonzo posted:

My friend's little brother is now 26 and got his first cell phone at the age of 13. He asked us why he didn't hear a dial tone when he turned it on.

I'm 28 and I got my first cell phone at the age of 21, and I didn't ask silly questions like this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I own the mirror mirror episode of star trek on a selectavision disk just to out hipster everyone on media formats.

It's like a laserdisk but instead of a laser it used a record needle to play an analog video from a disk that was too fragile to touch

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
hey gramps do you have any werther's originals for me

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I still have my burned mp3 cds I made in highschool with weird al on them!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm 28 and I got my first cell phone at the age of 21, and I didn't ask silly questions like this.

I got my Motorola Peanut at 17 because I was never home and my parents wanted to be able to get a hold of me.
Had no idea what a text message was until my friends asked why I was ignoring them.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
skeuomorphism did nothing wrong

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Mobile posted:

I got my Motorola Peanut at 17 because I was never home and my parents wanted to be able to get a hold of me.
Had no idea what a text message was until my friends asked why I was ignoring them.

Back in my day, we didn't call them "Text Messages" THey were "SMS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, they are still SMS in civilized countries.

• Locked thread