Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
All I know is they wanted to know why I didn't respond to their messages or pick them up coffee on the way to class liked they asked.
Pretty sure my TI-83 was more powerful than that phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
wow another millenial thread, keep it up with the gOoD QuAliTy ThReAdS gbs

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Mange Mite posted:

*picture of a job*

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

millenials dont even know what real cum tastes like

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
omgsmsbbq

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Yeah people are dumb OP but they're not quite that dumb. Although yeah a lot of that stuff is an anachronism now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Of course we know what it is that's what the cisco phones look like at work and.... oooooohhhhhh work :lol:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
millenniall, more like milenniNONE!!!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i used a floppy disk as recently as maybe a decade ago to flash a firmware or something

mr_cramalldees
Dec 14, 2015

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
My poor daughter will never know the satisfaction of slamming the phone on someone.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
im slamming ur mom's phone right as we speak

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Hate to break it to you OP, but land line phones are still around in p much every office in the world and are still on TV all the time.

Snatch Duster posted:

Its gen Z that doesn't know what this poo poo is, not millenials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx0sJ91OIjU

These videos are so loving stupid and completely scripted. Windows 95 and Windows 10 are pretty much the same in terms of layout, navigation, folder structure (kinna), basic programs, etc. A kid today would have no problem what-so-ever using Windows 95. Even if you go back to MS-DOS, well modern OSX and Linux have really powerful terminals that some people make use of constantly, so it's not some foreign concept.

And things like floppy drives or PC modems are gone specifically, but the concept of them isn't gone. They have just changed (usb drive and cable/dsl modem) .

What I'm trying to say is that poo poo is the same as it ever was. I'm struggling to think of something that was around 20 years ago that is completely gone and not just changed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

wow another millenial thread, keep it up with the gOoD QuAliTy ThReAdS gbs

It's amazing how many of these threads GBS keeps spitting out, given that a significant chunk of SA's userbase is millennials.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WampaLord posted:

It's amazing how many of these threads GBS keeps spitting out, given that a significant chunk of SA's userbase is millennials.

IT's the same reason SA's userbase is SA's userbase, we all hate ourselves

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm struggling to think of something that was around 20 years ago that is completely gone and not just changed.
the twin towers

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

symbolic posted:

the twin towers

They got changed into melted steel by jet fuel

That70sShirt
Nov 13, 2015

Pawn 17 posted:

Hate to break it to you OP, but land line phones are still around in p much every office in the world and are still on TV all the time.

God I wish. My workplace just trashed all our phones in favor of these stupid headset things where you need to call people through your computer. It shits itself all the time and we need to let some IT guy in India remotely take control of our computers for 20 minutes to get it working again.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Pawn 17 posted:

I'm struggling to think of something that was around 20 years ago that is completely gone and not just changed.

My dreams

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
How do we have all these stupid threads about Millennials and half you dumb fuckers don't even know what they are?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

That70sShirt posted:

God I wish. My workplace just trashed all our phones in favor of these stupid headset things where you need to call people through your computer. It shits itself all the time and we need to let some IT guy in India remotely take control of our computers for 20 minutes to get it working again.

Actually yeah I guess a lot of work phones are voip and not traditional landlines. Yours just sounds like a particularly bad voip setup.

symbolic posted:

the twin towers

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Nobody remembers staying up all night punching cards to do a simple math problem. Now people just ask Professor Google! loving millenials!

Nobody knows how to ride one of these anymore. Now people just drive cars! loving millenials!

Nobody remembers the skill required to hammer out a few words onto a stone tablet or read Summerian! Now people just use emojis! loving millenials!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

hmm im going to save my file, better get out my trusty floppy disk!

You can tell the person who made that hasn't actually used floppy disks because that is not what they look like (rounded edge?)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

What I'm trying to say is that poo poo is the same as it ever was. I'm struggling to think of something that was around 20 years ago that is completely gone and not just changed.

travel agencies

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

NihilismNow posted:

You can tell the person who made that hasn't actually used floppy disks because that is not what they look like (rounded edge?)

the actual disc part on the inside is round so they might have made some like that idk

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Roger Craig posted:

Nobody remembers staying up all night punching cards to do a simple math problem. Now people just ask Professor Google! loving millenials!

Nobody knows how to ride one of these anymore. Now people just drive cars! loving millenials!

Nobody remembers the skill required to hammer out a few words onto a stone tablet or read Summerian! Now people just use emojis! loving millenials!

this but unironically

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

AKA Pseudonym posted:

How do we have all these stupid threads about Millennials and half you dumb fuckers don't even know what they are?

judging from the thread title we're supposed to be offering our suggestions on what millennials are

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

goons don't know wtf millennials are and 80% of goons are millennials

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
based on these forums i guess milennials are some kind of sentient cell phone?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
do u think millenials is the longest running overused poo poo word that hasn't gotten a word filter because Lowtax is all about the *shakes fist* MILLLENIALLLLSS thing?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't even want to think of the hours I spent fiddling with the TV antenna trying to get the picture a little clearer through the static. And now those experiences are just gone.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
millennials, otherwise known as 'the y2k bug'

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

iirc the goon dogma is that anyone younger than you is a millennial and anyone older than you is a boomer

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's supposed to be 84'-00'.

naem
May 29, 2011

The words "film" and "tape" referring to video don't work anymore either and I don't know what replaces them

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

I think it's supposed to be 84'-00'.
i thought it was '81-some year in the mid-90s.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It was me. I am the last gen x baby.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

naem posted:

The words "film" and "tape" referring to video don't work anymore either and I don't know what replaces them

people still use both those terms

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Light Gun Man posted:

I think it's interesting that the quote “The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel” would probably read as "blue" to a modern audience.

:eyepop:

Cyberpunk Cities: Science Fiction meets Urban Theory (Carl Abbot, 2007)

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

mr_cramalldees posted:

My poor daughter will never know the satisfaction of slamming the phone on someone.

Do people still use the antiquated term "hang up"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

i thought it was '81-some year in the mid-90s.

It is technically. All the generational sociologists (HAHAHAHAHA) agree that 80 - 95 are Millennials. The cut off for defining generations isn't really birth year, exactly, but is defined by a culture shift or a shared major event in the formation years during youth that helps shape their worldview. In the case of Millennials, the major event was 9/11.

EDIT:
Which is why the youngest and the oldest people in a defined generation have a hard time associating with each other, besides their differing amount of life experience, because they have overlap with the up coming or previous generation. Culture shifts aren't immediate, but still fairly quick, so it is understandable why a 36 year old might feel closer to Gen X and a 21 year old will feel closer to Gen Z. While the majority that are in the center of the birth ranges squarely fit into that generations culture and worldview.

Snatch Duster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 7, 2016

• Locked thread