Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The only time I've had a demigryph knight die is when my battery of cannons accidentally pummeled them in the back with three salvos. And even then, two casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I really liked spider riders and/or night gobbo archers against Dwarfs. Not for the damage (it's rubbish), but for the poison. Both units have their drawbacks, spider riders melt under counter-fire and night gobbos have the unfortunate tendency to hit your units with poison too. Micro'd right, however, they're good additions to a lineup and can help even regular boyz punch above their weight against the tougher dwarf warriors.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I played my first multiplayer battles against a friend and wow, despite me having logged 10s more hours than him and beaten every campaign while he himself admits he mostly autoresolves, he still wiped the floor with me. 7 - 2.

My only wins were when I ran what I thought was a gimmick Chaos army of Marauders, Forsaken, Spawn, and Kholek (+2 chariots for laffs) against Bretonnia. The Marauders absorbed the Grail Knight doom charge and the Forsaken/Spawn just tore through them. I still lost Kholek! The second was VC against Empire and I ganked Karl Franz with some cleverly micro'd Hexwraiths + Spirit Leech, and that was a Close Victory. A Beastmen v Orcs match was close but ultimately he won.

I can't believe how bad I am at this.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

VC is a lot more fun with the public order bonuses removed from the AI, so spreading corruption feels like it meaningfully advances your campaign efforts.

That said, Empire is my favourite single player faction too.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

wiegieman posted:

VCs were a little before the TKs. Nagash invented necromancy then got himself killed (the first time), but Neferata and some other nobles from Nehekara (egypt) recovered his notes and made a new version of his elixir of immortality, which made them the first vampires. Then they got forced out to the north in another all-consuming civil war, then Nagash came back and bought some crazy heavy metal poison from the Skaven that he put into the rivers and killed everyone and everything with. He eventually casts a gigantic necromancy to bring the entire nation back under his control, but it's interrupted at the last minute and now we have tomb kings.

Vlad was originally named Vashanesh, he was a living descendant of Nagash and Neferata's husband before they split up.

That being said, the Vampire Counts tends to refer to Sylvania and the von Carsteins. The VC army books also have a few other vampire types too that are based elsewhere in the old world.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

So how do you use cone magic attacks like wind of death most efficiently? Do you target units with the beginning or the end of the cone?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Isn't there a vampire outpost in Lustria too? Like some coffin drifted ashore a la Dracula and the thing inside turned a whole colony?

Just trying to dream up what a Total War: Warhammer: New World: Colon would look like. Tiny human presence, four or five Lizardmen cities, 5-6 factions on Ulthuan, same for Naggaroth, a Skaven invasion, ????

Not hugely compelling, IMO.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I can't imagine those factions will be the centrepieces of a new world expansion though. More likely it will be set up as Lizardmen v Skaven (complete the Great Plan or kill-kill lizardthings) and Dark Elves v High Elves (ugh). Matches the four factions of the original game. Humans could be in it the same way savage Orcs are now: spawning armies randomly on the coast of Lustria to raid and pillage. Add the token vampires on the coast. Bing bing bong you made a game, so easy!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

There is something so Warhammer about an event titled "An age of peace?" snowballing into a clusterfuck of backstabs and broken alliances across the board. About as much fun as the actual Chaos invasions to be honest!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

So bearing in mind the cost effectiveness of ungors, what is the point of gors and bestigors?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Ammanas posted:

That kind of thing makes more sense in a historical TW game. It would also not work if the AI was held to the same rules. It essentially can't provide a meaningful challenge as it is.

Has ANYONE had the AI invade and conquer their territory past turn 20?

As Empire I had VC declare war and summarily invade me while all my stacks were over in bretonnia. They crossed the map and sieged Altdorf with three stacks of zombies and Mr Skeltals (+smatterings of vargheists, vargulfs, and grave guard), which was pretty epic and where my fightback began. Overall, removing public order bonuses from the AI seems to benefit VC a lot, which I like.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I forget, what are High Elf-Human relations like in Warhammer? Does the empire just think they're a bunch of crazy assholes out on some island or semi-mythical beings rarely seen and less frequently understood?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

High Elves differ in a lot of important ways when it comes to magic though. For one they're way, way better at it and high magic can harness any of the various schools, while a human can only master one school.

The Empire really loves the Dwarves though, they've been allied ever since Sigmar and the hammer they worship was a gift from a Dwarven king. I think there are some hints that the Heldenhammer is actually a Power Weapon from the Imperium of Man.

Oh yeah and some of the loot from Albion is power armour?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

He's referring to the interactive Albion campaign made by GW back in Warhammer 6th edition. The factions who won the campaign where awarded several artifacts from the Old Ones, they were magic items, but the fluff description and their rules heavily hinted that they were 40k gear like a power armor, a power fist, a melta weapon and such.

Yeah, so not even super old. IIRC the power armour went to the Dark Elves haha

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I still think Skaven won't come until the first expansion, they're the only old world race the Lizardmen tangle with on their home turf regularly. If dark elves fight high elves in the expansion, then going by the 4-race structure of the base game (ignoring preorder Chaos) the Skaven ought to be the main adversaries in Lustria.

Unless they add Daemons of Chaos in which case they might as well entitle the expansion 'lol gently caress u dark elves'

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Precisely, plus beastmen and Orcs are also in the new world in low numbers for extra fun.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Their lame king is already in the game, I doubt the Green Knight will make an appearance, since his fluff is basically that he shows up randomly when bretonnia is in peril. Maybe a special rule when the whole army is wavering or broken, GK shows up and buffs morale/kicks rear end? Would be cheap as hell in multi but could be fun in campaign

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Ethereal ghost knight demands 250 gold a year, for...reasons! Hay for ethereal ghost horses doesn't just grow on trees!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Mordja posted:

It reminds me of that Terry Pratchett book, Monstrous Regiment.

Except Monstrous Regiment was good

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I've taken to ignoring the elector counts and treating that whole side of the map as an agent-based simulation of what-ifs. Ostland confederation Wissenland? Talabecland eliminating Sylvania and Border Princes? Why the hell not?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

brocretin posted:

They went out of their way to namecheck Knights Errant, so hopefully we'll get some interim roster updates for Bretonnia.

It has been known for a while that the Bret roster is getting fleshed out as part of their FLC. Questing Knights, Knights Errant, more LLs. I doubt foot knights will make it in though.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

wiegieman posted:

So what you're saying is, Tomb Kings confirmed.

Scarab forearm bird bird wavy line.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

It might be almost a mirror of the empire in the north. Large, unorganised factions of the same culture that can confederate, meanwhile facing Orcs and a smattering of Dwarfs, and at the end a massive endgame incursion from The Big Bad. Beastmen show up basically everywhere so you can have them spawn + Bretonnia is in the mix occasionally. I see it working.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

John Charity Spring posted:

I'd like this approach. Especially if there's a "Sometimes All Three" outcome too.

And if it isn't in, someone will mod it.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

I liked the horde/settlement hybrid we were discussing a while back, but TBH WElves being able to "conquer" everything works too. Now they're a threat to everyone per their xenophobic lore, and also capture the feel of "nature reclaiming her own".

Howether,

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Maybe Bretonnia will be fun to play, but that won't help their piss poor and boring lore.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

dtkozl posted:

I really don't have any faith in creative to make a fun historical game because they really lack any sort of imagination to make a fun game system and lack the knowledge to make something true to history. Warhammer is great it is extremely varied unlike most fantasy settings and all the hard work in design and balancing has already been done so they don't need to do much outside of coding it all in. Great coders, terrible game designers.

I get dogpiled for saying Bretonnia are lame but this slides under everyone's radar?

CA's line has always been "If it's a choice between fun and historical accuracy, we'll always go with fun." lol if you think Total War isn't fun, what are you even doing in this thread?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Might make the Dwarfs unwinnable though...

Grudge: Put the Everpeak back where it was.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Im excited for WE but im a little worried. Playing battles in forests is the second worst experience in the game...the first being snow maps because you can't see a goddamn thing

WE will be constantly in forests :/

There are a few beast path maps which are "in" the forest, as in, if you pan the camera around the landscape there are titanic trees all around you, but not that many regular-sized trees.

It depends on your interpretation of what kind of forest gives WE bonuses: the map type or the type of terrain feature within a map.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Triskelli posted:

Definitely interested by the new "Temples" portion of the building browser, but holy cow each of the Wood Elf settlements gets ten building slots?! Conquer all of Athel Loren and you get a whopping 40 slots to play with, that could all be defended by a single army. It sounds like the Wood Elves are really able to go tall AND wide, depending on how you choose to handle diplomacy.

Getting a 10-slot province would require a lot of Amber though, no? So no turtling, you have to go out into the world and conquer/make nice.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's history nerds because TW history nerds largely aren't actual history nerds they're just hyper nationalists and/or ethnic supremacists who present a skewed view of history to support their nationalism.

You will be first against the wall when Greater Serbia rises.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Affi posted:

Quests should be easier to do in some ways. Battles could be tough but it should not be an annoying slog! Empire having to ally nordland is annoying!

Also longer quest lines with more set pieces would be awesome!

I do sometimes wonder if Dark Omen would be feasible to remake in the Total Warhammer engine. All the assets or some version of them are basically there already and the game as a whole is just a linear A-B-C progression of quest battles across the Old World. In the original you pretty much only fight VC and Orcs, and some battles have units from Bretonnia/Dwarfs/Wood Elves/Kislev. The campaign could be modded to be way more static and constrained in scope so you're not doing weird things like questing in Kislev when it was wiped out 20 turns ago by the Norse.

I don't know the first thing about modding though so I could be talking out of my arse.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Genuine question, what is riding sidesaddle and why are people in a huff about it?

FEMALES

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

Nagash also poisoned the Fantasy Nile and killed 99% of the population of Fantasy Egypt so it wasn't just the long dead kings that got woken up, but just about the entire population, living and dead, of Nehekara.

One of my favourite bits of dumb unnecessary lore is how the river was called Vitae but when Nagash did this they renamed it Mortis :buddy:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

2 SPOOKY posted:

I'm so pumped for the New World.

Skinks and witch elves better be the best assassin heroes or so help me

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

...Why would witch elves be the assassin hero for Dark Elves when the list literally has an Assassin hero character choice on it?

Honestly, I don't know the DE list at all, I just want my kick rear end skinks.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Korgan posted:

Ah ok, I hadn't heard that about the 4 races per expansion. That gives me hope that they'll eventually flesh out Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, the Border Princes etc and sell us dlc to play as them. Or they'll just give us more packs like the King and the Warlord with alternate leaders and starts for existing factions.

Don't hold out hope for those factions. They're aiming to include every army that had a book in WHFB. Kislev, Estalia, Tilea, and the Border Princes do not, nor do Chaos Dwarfs for that matter.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Zasze posted:

Every-time I start thinking "man grail knights just arnt worth the cost, Im going to stop bringing them" a game like this happens :stare:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/178286345942988419/C755A4AA470737CD0F7020451D84F5D318AA5825/

Not enough minotaurs, they were never going to win :colbert:

I don't even play MP

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

The contrast in attitudes to the power of the wood elves pre- and post-release is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

Nanomashoes posted:

Now that there's no potions of toughness Exalted heroes are finally useful again!
Except that despite costing 300 more than empire captains and having higher stats across the board than them, they go even with captains for some reason. Even with marks of Khorne.

Mark of Khorne is no match for fancy pants and big mustaches

• Locked thread