Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think that Dwarves can get into a death spiral if they build up a ton of grudges and can't clear them. I don't think that, say, Empire has that issue. Also I find the Empire gameplay to be most fun, with VC second place. Can't get the hang of Dwarves.

I think you main thing you lose as Empire going for spears vs swordsmen is the charge bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Murgos posted:

Demigryphs are kind of what lets Empire play with the big boy monster factions so I hope they don't get nerfed too much but you could totally see it coming. Although I suppose that at the same time Empire magic should get a buff but how you would make magic effective anti-monster without exacerbating the lord sniping I have no clue.

If they are nerfing demigriffs, it would make sense to buff high tier Empire artillery a bit. Luminarchs and Hellblasters are stuff useful currently, but a bit underpowered for how tricky it is to get them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just be careful because confederating will clear the garrison (hoping this is a bug that is fixed soon).

I don't think clearing the garrison is a bug. It's a (poorly explained) balancing measure that makes military allies valuable, and means that confederating opens up opportunities for you if you see an enemy do it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't really get what's supposed to be bad about two-city provinces.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

Fewer building slots to boost each other with. With a three town province you can have: wealth buildings+defense in everything, then a town with +growth, a town with +public order and the main settlement with whatever you want (adjust as needed for special buildings). In two province, you often have to give up either growth or public order boosts or something. Not a huge deal, but it's there.

I think that's an odd comparison though. You're comparing owning two cities to three, basically. It seems a more valid comparison to me is to note that four cities divided into 2 city provinces is strictly better in a bunch of ways than 1 big four city province. Firstly you get one set of walls for free so you don't have to build as many garrisons. It's also easier to unify because it's less likely that you have a province divided amongst multiple owners. You get use of the factionwide trade income +5% +20 growth commandment per province, so you earn that bonus twice. You have double the number of provincial capitals for you to build high tier buildings in, should you choose.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rakthar posted:

You take a province. You need to establish happy province wide, because its a province wide stat. If you build two +happy buildings, in a two city province that means each city has given up a slot to fix the happiness. If you add a growth building to each, then you have like one slot left on the town and probably the same on the capital. Eventually you'll get another in the capital.

Two city provinces will generally be poor choices for either moneymaker provinces because you can't specialize them, or troop producing provinces because of all the buildings required. Some of the lategame troops require 2-3 buildings, which is a real problem if you only have two slots as mentioned above.

I find that most two city provinces are self sufficient and do ok. They get garrisons and make a bit of money, like 800-1500 a turn or so. A good 3 city province can make 3k, and a good 4 city province can make almost 5k.

Two city provinces are useful lategame around turn 80 when they're done growing and presumably they're secure so now they have useful slots. Two size two cities is really really lovely and I found myself getting that all the time as Empire.

Like just do the math, 2 city province = 8 slots, 3 city province = 12, 4 city province = 16. You need two happy buildings, two growth buildings, and presumably some money too. That's 6 out of 8 slots for the 2 city province, 8 out of 12 slots in the 3 city province, and 12 out of 16 slots in the 4 city province.

And of course you don't really need to go past 2 of any of the buildings, so the actual math is like:
2 city province = 8 slots, 6 used. 3 city province = 12 slots, 6 used. 4 city province = 16 slots, 6 used.

You seriously do not need a public order building in *every single settlement*. I strongly doubt you need a +growth in every city either, and the number of +growth you need actually scales entirely linearly with the number of cities you have and so the number of settlement upgrades you need to buy. There's no sense in which two +growth is required for a 2 city province and that's somehow also enough for a four city province that has double the number of settlements to build up.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rakthar posted:

Ok, so ignoring the particulars of the build, you do not see a difference between:

2 city province - 3 usable slots at size 3 - 6 slots
3 city province - 3 usable slots at size 3 - 9 slots
4 city province - 3 usable slots at size 3 - 12 slots

And how that matters when buildings generally need to be built in the same province to provide effects? Or how you can stack bonuses assuming you have more cities? Like, it's fine if it doesn't bother you or you enjoy two city provinces, but they are far less useful and flexible than the other kind. I don't really know why they made so many size two provinces, I would have expected size three to be the default. It makes the slot shuffling problem worse for little gameplay benefit, from my perspective.

I don't see the difference because there aren't a lot of buildings that provide province wide effects. You build one +income building per town. And 2 fully upgrade 2-city provinces *will* have more slots than 1 4-city province.

If you're comparing owning 4 cities to owning 2 and saying that's better, then okay. But that's a silly comparison because you don't conquer provinces, you conquer towns, and the question we have about these provinces is that the *towns* near Altdorf are split into smaller provinces and have thus a higher proportion of Provincial Capitals than elsewhere. And I'm saying that being split into smaller provinces in many ways makes things easier for the player, because it makes it easier to obtain complete provinces (without having to declare war on multiple factions, especially), and there's benefits you get that are per-province.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

LGD posted:

This is wildly untrue because of the way province capitals and banked growth work. You can get the 1-2 population for rank 2-3 cities/towns very quickly and it will replenish almost instantly, but building up to the 4 and 5 population needed to raise capitals above rank 3 takes much longer even with multiple settlements because of the way scaling on banked growth works. If you've only got a single settlement providing +growth it potentially takes forever (though this is a bigger deal for Dwarfs than Humans due to how much of their roster is locked away at tier 4 and 5).

You also don't need a public order building in every settlement, but you do need at least one in every province and sometimes more depending on difficulty/location. Two city provinces absolutely have issues building infrastructure compared to 3-4 city provinces.

Oh alright. Personally I just don't build up more than two to three provinces beyond rank 3. Heck I even delay the rank 3 settlement upgrade (except on frontiers where I need the garrison) until I have a rank 2 weaver in every single city. I get the sense that's probably the best build in terms of return on investment. Anyway ultimately I don't see a lot of difference. Worth pointing out that the 2-city provinces near the Empire correspond to two-city factions, which enables a number of limited wars for you.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 8, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This mod also looks like it has promise (found on reddit)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698364760

It basically changes the color of your empire soldiers to match the region you recruited them in so they aren't all Reikland colors. I haven't tried it yet but I like mods that add a little bit more color to the game.

Does this mean you can't merge units built in different regions any more, though? Because that would suck.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

lilspooky posted:

Two questions...

1) For those of you guys who have played a lot of the older Total War games. How is CA's track record on patching / fixing things. Can we reasonably expect them to address the various problems with certain units being over/underpowered or is that doubtful?

2) For those of you who played Warhammer on the table-top long after I had stopped playing. Were Empire Demigryph knights ridiculous there too?

They already said that a rebalance patch is coming, but that they are still investigating what exactly needs to be done.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you are fighting someone with flyers, you should always base the appropriate melee near your artillery. This includes stuff like going up against Karl Franz on Deathclaw.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Not confederating or conquering your neighbors and being friends with everyone definitely seems to be the best Empire strategy. I'm at like turn 40, Chaos hasn't begun to show up yet, and I've got Reikland fully upgraded, with access to Demigryff Knights, Reiksguard, Cannons, and Greatswords.

I allied myself with every empire faction which wanted it, and helped them out in each of their wars with their neighbors to make sure they won. I vassaled a couple of factions that were consistently being unruly. The end result is that I've got four or so Empire factions which are all friendly to me and each other, and each of them is doing great. When Archaon rolls up he's going to have a bad time.

I've got three full provinces (Reikland, Middenland, and the Bretonnia one right next to Marienburg), which seems to be enough to unlock all the units and get a really solid economy going, but still leaves me with not a lot of ground to defend.

The only Empire faction I conquered was Middeland, because gently caress you Boris.

Yeah, military allies are great when you get a big love-fest going. Don't forget that each faction gets a base background income, so an allied force will always be able to maintain a bigger army than if you owned that province yourself. Allies also count for victory conditions.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you get enough cash without conquering at least a few provinces though? You don't even have trade goods to make money that way.

Well, the maths works out that you can basically afford one army per 2-4 cities, plus one from base income. You cover short term costs from sacking. It's also not like you *never conquer*, it's more that you should be judicious about it. If two empire factions hate each other a lot, then you might as well pick a side, swoop in, and try and take the loser's cities first.

Making friends with all your neighbours also doesn't include VC, naturally. Kill the gently caress out of them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

I know vcs are supposed to be the natural empire enemy,but they're a couple provinces away and the anti corruption hero is from a higher tech and expensive building that offers few other immediate benefits. It never seems worth it to go over there to grab provinces that'll constantly be unruly and insecure versus, for example, rolling south and taking everything that's not nailed down in Brettonia.

Well, on the other hand, I'd argue that the anti-corruption building is something that is quite straightforward to build, and something you actually want to get and upgrade early for witch-hunters. Being a province away from Altdorf also makes it a safer war - the VC can't do much against you with Stirland as a buffer. Also Sylvania is very rich what with the gold mine, and late game VC is scary.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

This seems quite trivial to check. Take an army, disband all the artillery, hit end turn and see if it can move further now.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Unzip and Attack posted:

Except the AI can march and attack, which means the AI has a special movement option that players are not allowed access to.

Which sucks. "Just use ambush stance" isn't a valid response to "why does the AI get access to a stance that the player can't use?"

Again, I haven't seen any confirmation of this. Do note that (1) you can set march stance after attacking - indeed at any time - and you will get the bonus 50% move as a proportion of your *maximum* movement points, and (2) on limited moves, the UI simplifies display of enemy moves, IIRC not showing stance changes.

If the AI could do this, my experience playing as greenskins would be very different - waaghs accompanying my main armies would ensure that I can attack at a 50% bonus range to normally, by having the waagh use march stance to attack and pull in my army as reinforcement. I've never seen this happen.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 9, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Well then it's poor design instead of "The AI can do something I can't." Being able to swap between No Stance and March feels much the same as "Can Attack during Forced March", which true or not is an apparent advantage the AI has over the player.

I very very much like the fact that I can move, spot an enemy doomstack, and make a swift retreat, thank you very much. If you can't toggle march stance, then it means that any enemy army you see after moving about half your movement points is an enemy you can't escape a battle with, making the right way to play to inch your armies around bit by bit, hoping not to see - and thus be seen by - anything you can't outfight.

Really, the other way is way worse.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Except you don't know where all the enemy units are, or where unguarded cities are, etc. The AI certainly does have access to some of this information.

So what you're tell me is I should be able to March stance up to a city, swap stances, attack city, swap stances again and warp out? Because that is certainly what I see the AI do somewhat frequently.

Like I said, this would be straightforward to demonstrate with a Waargh army. I have never seen it, and so I think you've misinterpreted what you've seen.

They can take a city or raze and move away after. It is absolutely something that the ai can do that the player cannot

I'm pretty sure that I have actually razed and then moved on.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Razing consumes an army's movement

And toggling force march restores 50% of it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rakthar posted:

Because it loving sucks to chase AI armies around your territory and not catch them AND have them sack your cities in the process.

That's why you build garrisons, agents, or use ambush mode? Or pay the price if you take the risk and don't? If there wasn't a risk of an army going on a rampage through your undefended economic cities, wouldn't garrisons, agents, all those mechanics to defend yourself from sackers, just be for suckers?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rakthar posted:

Isn't that what Armies were used for ,to kill enemy armies? or no? I guess no since they could never catch them, historically?

You can kill them if you use ambush mode.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I mean if you want to play the 'historically' card, you can look at all the times the Mongols ran rings around their enemies and where it took many times the force across several armies to corner say, Spartacus' rebel slaves.

In the end, yeah, sacking is strong in this game. *That's why you can sack as well*. You should do it and run rings around the enemy, and lure them into traps and leave their economy in flames. It's fun, and a good changeup from previous games.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 9, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rakthar posted:

Well, I'm glad that we've decided that the AI's ability to sack you is great stuff and that people enjoy the CA gameplay as delivered. Hell they've captured the flavor of the mongols and the roman rebels. They're just giving the fans what they want to great critical and financial success.

So the next time the AI moves past your defending stack, sacks your city, and ends the turn outside your movement range - remember. People love that poo poo.

It sucks when you are outplayed by the AI yeah. But I'd rather that than a system where I can't lose.

If you want that, then I guess there's mods for that.

And yes, I do loving love it when I raid the undefended belly of an enemy empire for 30k, or when I trick the AI with an ambush stack and smash the poo poo out of him.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I don't see how this is a cheat since it is something I do all the time (move to a city, sack it, and then move away). As for your second point, I think there should be a way to hover over an enemy army and 'see' their movement range on the campaign map. It is pretty funny that the AI can manage to stay just out of my range, I will get a +% campaign movement bonus from a magic item or something, and the next turn they will still be juuuust out of range.

If not an even better option might be just to tweak the AI to not have perfect knowledge of your armies movement range (so at times they waste movement going too far away, and at times you can still catch them).

You can click on any enemy unit or agent in the strategy layer and it overlays a red area showing their movement range. I'm not sure if this includes stances, it might just be normal movement.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Kaza42 posted:

It actually does include stances, which makes it nearly useless. If they're in Encamp or Raid stance, their move bubble is drastically reduced even though they can swap out of that stance on their turn and march-murder you. I've tried exactly what you're describing and it doesn't always help

Ah okay, yeah I'd consider this an UI bug. It should just always show normal movement range.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Mazz posted:

Realistically it should show all 3 using different colors in layers, like how the UI can show multiple moves in different colors.

Also, forced could probably be taken away after an offensive action for no real loss once people adjusted. Sack should stay mostly free, and encamp should stay.

But seriously, they really need to allow you to reset your move if you haven't deselected an army. The number of times I've clicked incorrectly and burned an agents move points is kinda infuriating. Disable it if you march into an ambush or zone of control, but at least let me clear my clicking fuckups without having to constantly quick save.

I think having multiple colours like that would overcomplicate things. The threat range is the only really useful range.

Also undo is something persistently asked for in strategy games but typically not offered because of hidden information - your agent, by going to a location has revealed stuff for you. Not just fog of war, but stuff like the absence of ambushing enemies and stuff like that. Even if you did intelligently disable undo, it might come across as confusing when and when not the feature is available.

Edit: I'd say that the biggest relevance for forced-after-attack is that it allows two chaos stacks to participate in the same battle and avoid attrition afterwards.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 9, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Vargs posted:

This interview stuff didn't end up giving up much interesting info but I did like this part. I hope they end up buffing Mannfred and nerfing Kemmler in the next patch.

The argument for Kemmler is mainly about his campaign bonus being awesome for a certain playstyle/Mannfred being easy to get quickly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fans posted:

They're just not very good right now, bring something else.

Yeah, Hellblasters are underpowered at the moment. I think they do decent single target armour piercing DPS, so maybe they are good against giants and stuff? Dunno.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's just as many anti-infantry units as there are anti-large ones. I'd much prefer to have the ability to pick and choose my battles (and get a few rear charges off...) than some minor situational bonus.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 10, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

One problem might be that if you complete a province with towns like this, you get access to commandments.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

They also said that the AI was correct to use high HP units as meat shields, it just wasn't what players wanted. The AI is using those units to get fewer deaths in your army, but men are easier to replace than HP on a giant so people aren't happy with what would be proper play outside a campaign context.
The issue is that if your giant takes HP damage that's no decline in your army's firepower, whereas if you lose 10 greatswords that decreases your attack power by that amount. So from a tactical viewpoint your army keeps its firepower longest if your large hp units take the damage. It's sort of an interesting conundrum.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I've kinda liked them as a way of dealing with quarrelers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm somewhat suspicious of the fact that my warrior priests' 'preaching' causes a massive increase in childbirths in the province. How do I have them investigated to see if they're actually a Slaaneshi cult?

I'm pretty sure sex in warhammerland involves lying back and thinking of the heldenhammer with no enjoyment involved.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

The enemy had two armies moved as close as possible (almost on top of each other). I attacked one of them and used Lightning Strike, preventing the other from reinforcing.
After autoresolving both enemy armies vanished, even though one of them wasn't fighting.

Is this a bug?

Was one of the armies a waargh attached to the other army? Waarghs disband if the host army is destroyed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If you can teach your baby to say waaagh as his first word, please record it and send it everywhere.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think CA will give much of a poo poo about balance. Brets might be okay as a legit easy-mode, which the game is currently kinda missing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I've been having trouble with higher tier vc units as well. The wraiths arent nearly as effective as I thought they would be. They're getting chumped like the witch King getting stabbed in the face by Eowyn.

Big monsters are fun to use but make auto resolve a liability.

The crumbling mechanic is annoying because you end up losing the unit outright .

One good thing is it's super easy to have a stack of raise dead chaff that can auto resolve it's way through tough battles. I'm thinking perhaps have my LL with the big heavy hitters backed up by a secondary Lord with skellies n zombies.

Some points:

It's important to try and manually pull out crumbling units you want to preserve. Take them off the line and park them near your Lord until morale improves.

Pick and choose where the wraiths go. I find they generally work as a weird cavalry. Like cavalry, they move quite a lot faster than normal infantry and have decent ability to break units when attacking from behind. Unlike cavalry, though, they have a completely different set of units they should go after. Avoid anti-infantry damage dealers, and go after thickly armoured units with high armour pierce (but low pure damage) and anti-large.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I think an AI faction that got hosed up enough to only be able to build archers is probably not gonna be much of a threat anyway, so it's not that big an issue. Making it valuable to raze their recruitment settlements might even make the game more interesting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Does Radious increase the general difficulty of the game? Everyone always talks it up so I installed it from the get-go but I'm thinking it might be part of why I'm having such trouble when I did fine in other TW games.

Don't play the radious mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

About twenty turns into a Hard Chaos campaign. Here's a thought: has anyone considered simply ignoring the Norscans? They might not like you initially but they also hate the Empire. So perhaps a viable strategy would be to, after the initial bearonling stuff, cut across Kislev and go along the northern/western coast of the Empire? Eventually as you continue to attack the Empire, Enemy of My Enemy rules will apply and they will militarily ally. Even if they don't like you, they will still fight, and the Empire is closest.

Might be a bit too late for me since I already kinda sacked the Varg, but maybe I'll just turn a blind eye to them from now on.

Hellcannons are really good if you are willing to cheese it, it seems like. The main thing is that there's only one projectile, when you manually direct it, you shoot with 100% accuracy. You can imagine how amazing this is during sieges - especially given how knocking units off the walls kills them.

Need to figure out how I am gonna develop this horde.

• Locked thread