Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have good VC starting tips?

DiHK posted:

I was also assigning pun names to my vamps. Celine Deadon, Bella YaDeadsee, Ivanna Sukurblood, Christopher loving Lee, etc

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Deified Data posted:

Is VH fun with Dwarfs or do you just keep restarting until you get a save where Grimgor doesn't rush you?

Killing full stack + Waaagh Grimgor is perfectly doable as Dwarfs on VH. It's much easier if you can swing the engagement to happen on your terms (Underway interception is always favourite, or tricking him into marching close to Karaz a Karak and jumping him supported by the garrison) but the important thing is not to mess around tearing down and replacing barracks buildings and min-maxing your stack for a theoretically optimal economic build. Recruit as many warriors as you can, upgrade the barracks ASAP and then recruit as many quarrelers as you can. Recruit another lord and have him recruit as many troops as he can. You'll have time to economise once Grimgor is taking a nap beside the ruins of his starting Doom Diver.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Third World Reggin posted:

Drakwald units are just vanguard units with worse stats than their counterparts in radious.

Not true, I think. Radious suffers from pretty bad power creep so nothing is ever a downgrade. Drakwald units have vanguard, but they are also stat-for-stat superior to many mainline Empire troops and also benefit from Cold Steel bonuses. They also all (infantry, archers, handguns and cav) come from the same +public order building chain so they're great mainline troops you can often recruit all over the place.

There's no philosophy or strategy behind the Empire roster in Radious, just ever increasing amounts of ridiculously statted infantry. Recruit whatever's prettiest.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
It throws a lot of poo poo at the wall but it's playable. The roster changes are worst for Empire because there're just so drat many variants of "dude with sword/spear/halberd" you have to figure out. On the campaign map the biggest change is it bumps faction basic income way up across the board, so even a minor faction will put up a hell of a fight - Marienburg can put out 3-4 full stacks easy. I've enjoyed some of the roster expansion but am considering uninstalling it again because every fight being a complete clusterfuck of multiple full stacks mashing into each other gets real old.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Wow, we've very likely killed more Warhams dudes in the past year than real people have died in combat in all human history. That's some serious action.

And on magicchat the Lore of Light spell that locks a chunk of the enemy army in place for 20 seconds or whatever can be incredible. I don't know why it's the only control style spell in the game (as opposed to damage, buffs and debuffs) as it alone makes the Lore of Light caster super useful.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Part of the 0.2% :smug:

(Don't play on Legendary it's a loving chore)

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

fnordcircle posted:

40k's fluff went from a pretty decent 'maybe the regressive, theocratic fascist xenophobe goodguys aren't actually the good guys *wink wink*' story that didn't take itself too seriously to 'check out these badass regressive, theocratic fascist xenophobe goodguys!'

I think it's because their writers are GW fanbois who didn't quite get the joke when they were 14 and sure af don't get it now.

I think it's gotten worse over time as there's almost no-one else in WH40k from whose perspective you can write from. Everyone outside the Imperium is either too alien to understand or has been squatted. Or are boring Tau. So all the fluff comes from any one of fifty different pro-Imperium factions, skewing the universe to be all about how great the Imperium is. Compared to fantasy where most factions have something going for them. They have some goal, some philosophy, some perspective which allows a writer to get on their side and explain why they're not really the bad guy. You can play Dark Elves and complain that the slave economy is all the High Elves fault for forcing you out to this wasteland and is actually super practical and probably good for the slaves too! Or be Industrial Revolution Chaos Dwarves. Or Canonically Smartest Faction Lizardmen. Or Randian Skaven pulling themselves up by their bootstraps (and warpstone) to be the only intelligent society on the planet than weren't put there by some dumb Great Old One a bajillion years ago and are still kicking rear end. They have their own stories that a GW writer can get to grips with and promote.

Compare that to the Eldar. "They're really alien, guys. Also fast.".

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Funky Valentine posted:

Orks are of course mid-to-late 21st century.

And Slann are late 20th early 21st century.

:btroll:

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Chucat posted:

Has anyone used the addon that just gives Level 3 Settlements walls straight up? The fact that I'm essentially paying a wall tax on every settlement so <RANDOM ARMY X> doesn't just burrow from under the loving ground or something and take out the one place I have that doesn't have walls is sort of grating.

I thought that was getting added in with Bretonnia but it turns out it's just for the Bretonnians and not everyone :(

I've run with T4 minor settlements having walls (T4 minor settlements mod + a separate mod to give them walls) but it takes too long to really be useful. I agree that the current system isn't great, you're required to build garrison buildings everywhere you intend on holding, but the alternative is even more identical siege battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Whatever you go with I'd consider backing up each stack with a reserve stack, upkeep be damned. Doesn't have to be anything incredible, lots of handgunners and halberdiers will do, but it gives you a little backup if you run into several chaos stacks at once, which you will. My first campaign was an Empire game that ended with a huge climactic battle of Karl Franz and his elite stack, an allied garrison force, and a reserve stack against a mess of monstrous chaos stacks. Archaon, Big Bird, lost track of how many chaos giants they had, that kind of poo poo. Karl Franz and his elite units did great work but the chaos units just kept pouring in and eventually all the steam tanks and demigryphs and artillery were dead and all we had left was a grim line of the Empire infantry volley firing into the nastiest poo poo imaginable as the enemy charged and broke and charged and broke. We won, eventually. But I never would have survived without the reserve.

• Locked thread