Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Looking solely at the numbers outriders have 2/3rds as many dudes as handgunners but they each do half again as much DPS due to high fire rate. So it should even out.
...does being on a horse help them shoot over things? Since they're higher?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Or have some human subfactions pull off their masks and reveal themselves to have been Secret Vampires all along.
(randomise which each game, like diplo traits)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

successful rebellion in their home province

I had a rebellion in Mousillon who promptly conquered the city... and razed it. When my army got there there was no sign of the rebel stack.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turns out steam tanks don't count as artillery for the purpose of sieges. Lesson learned, always bring your witchhunter. (Why aren't wizards the ones to blow up walls? Seems like something they'd be good at. And have witchhunters have 'damage buildings', they like burning poo poo.)

My new vassal hates me on account of the killing and conquering, which is no matter except that I can't force them to trade with me. Need a 'threaten' diplomatic option.

The orcs in this game got so beaten down that the Border Princes came up through Black Fire Pass and conquered Averland. Maybe I shouldn't have given the Dwarfs all that gold.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's easy to get Rank 9 everything. Just have 3 captains/thanes/wights/etc with Examplar standing in the region when you fill the recruit queue.
(Then can then gently caress off to another province and the stuff you queued will stay at rank 9)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Having a shitton of Warriors and Quarrelers with a few cannons/grudgethrowers is both fluff-accurate and effective,
(Replace with Thunderers if there are a lot of black orcs / chaos warriors etc).

That's one thing to remember with Dwarfs actually... your low-tier troops get lots of buffs from techs and lord-skills and should not be underestimated.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 27, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does anyone know what circumstances cause which traits?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sjonnar posted:

I also know that attending the Grung Zint Imperial Military Academy turned every single one of my lords crooked as gently caress, but I don't know if that has to do with the process of beating down the greenskins or if it was them replenishing in or near Marienburg, which in the lore is a real wretched hive.

Could be all the looting? (Lots of sacking rather than the more militarily legitimate occupying/razing)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Depends on the troops. Some troops (spearmen, dwarfs etc) have charge resistance meaning they can deny the enemy their charge bonus, but only if they're properly braced to receive the charge.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

However, a number of units have an attribute called Charge Defense against Large. That usually includes spearmen and other anti-large units, as well as pretty much all dwarf melee infantry. That means that if they are braced (i.e. stand still) when they receive the charge from large units (i.e. cavalry and bigger), the charge bonus of the enemy unit is nullified.

Some units (like Ironbreakers) have Charge Defence against All. Even infantry lose their bonus against braced Ironbreakers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can't confederate Kislev. I'm going to have to invade the whole country to get Talabheim back aren't I?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Wait, you do? :stare:

If the other settlement in a province is owned by your Vassal you can still issue a Commandment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Plus your campaign goal requires you to exterminate them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Playing as Mordor, I've had a Ranger assassinate at least eight of my captains so far. Thing is I'm certain I've killed him at least twice - the second time I checked the name and it was definitely him. But now he's running around again and just destroyed the new Statue I built. Bug?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How do I get my economy running as VC? As Empire I just spammed cloth everywhere, but the vamp econ building (gibbet) is terrible by comparison.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BTW please do Warmachine for the next Total War.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

If you think Rohan gets public order issues, hope you never get a rebellion in Isengard. The AI deployed a couple of Hobbits when I wasn't looking, and oof.

I've read about that. One guy had the loving trees form a rebel faction. Pretty amusing bug.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

VC is hard. Averland took one of the cities in Western Sylvania, so I wardecced them to take it back then conquered Averland too. But the Border Princes are sending a steady stream of Captains to keep Corruption down and Unrest up, replacing them faster than I can kill them. (Even though I'm not at war with them.) So I have to keep one full army in Averland to kill rebels, the Dwarves are attacking, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the orcs who ate Zhufbar attack.
Empire was way easier, after the first few turns I only fought people I chose to attack and once I took a province I could move on.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Also what version of Molay's is everyone running with? I want to restart my Empire campaign and would like Gelt to be worth a drat. Does the mod throw any other magic users completely off balance?

I'm running Molay's with Large unit sizes and spells still don't feel overpowered. Quest items are a bit OP though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crypt Horrors just picked up a nerf, see how that goes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dwarfs have serious throwing arms.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gejnor posted:

Whatever is considered the best top tier ranged mounted thing.

Outriders w/ grenade launchers?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It appears that the patch has disabled all mods?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hpw should I use Varghulfs versus Crypt Horrors? They seem to have similar roles.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Groups of Varghulfs are nice. Because they're single-model you can get all four of them actively fighting a single unit at once - that unit will just evaporate. With units with more models trying to use four at once means a lot of dudes would be standing around not fighting, so compactness really helps.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dogstile posted:

If you vassal them instead they would have just combined forces against the rest of the world rather than eachother!

Until they turn on you. Vassals are not reliable.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You could Siege the IMA for a while? It seems that you can't attack a settlement while someone else is sieging it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I disabled the Great Power penalty myself. It made no sense to me and kinda disabled diplomacy in the lategame.
(I know this means I'm not truly played on Hard. So what.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Seems that Blood Knights are only a 2-turn recruit time. Seems odd for such a high-tier unit.
Can they grind away like Demigryphs, or are they more shock-cavalry?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Grimgor just told me that I'm lucky to still be breathing.
Nobody tell him anything. I want to see if he figures it out.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What makes orc/goblin and bret archers good? Cheapness?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yukitsu posted:

High elves would be mostly elite units

With javelin machineguns.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

As an Empire newbie, Is it possible to miss the battle of bloodpine woods if you clown through the secessionists too fast?

Similarly, I may have misunderstood something above -- do parts of Emperor Karl 's skill tree get filled up by the plot? If so is it a waste to put points in (for example) warhorse, since he'll get a pegasus later, or does pegassus require poitns?

The quest / item battles happen in a sort of AU. They're the same regardless of what is really happening in the world, and don't have any impact on the world other than the listed rewards (and your losses).

If you want the pegasus you have to put a point into horse, and then a point into pegasus once you get a high enough level. (And then a point into griffon).
A second point in horse would be wasted though unless you choose to keep riding it.

(On that subject, I notice that Manfred loses a chunk of armour when going from barded horse / helllsteed to dragon)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, perhaps I got that question a bit wrong. I was referring more to ranged units like Quarrelers. I get for gunpower units you can't fire on an enemy unit from behind the melee unit it is engaging (Well, you can, but it would be bad/hilarious), but with missle units that fire in an arc, would it be possible to rain arrows down while they are locked down by infantry?

Yes, though you should stand back a bit to give enough room for arc, and expect to kill a few of your dudes too.
Dwarves don't mind as much as humies because everyone has heavy armour and doesn't care about a few stray crossbow bolts.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 3, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, I'm asking because in my current game it seems to have not triggered then. I'm on like turn 15 and no bloodpine.

Are you Balthasar? It only seems to happen for Karl.
You also need to have done the initial quests (fight separatist army, conquer that settlement).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In TW if it's physically possible for your projectiles to reach the enemy then your troops will have no psychological problem with attempting it. Even when it's a bad idea.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Avasculous posted:

It feels like Confederation is supposed to make this smoother, but between the huge relations hit and empire-wide public order drain, I'm wondering if it would have been more efficient to just murder everyone.

Try building up one of the other empire factions by supporting their wars, then once you get the late-game diplo buff confederate them to acquire a huge chunk of territory all at once.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Why should rebels only spawn with stuff you have? It's not like they are recruiting out of your barracks.
Where are they getting their troops if it's not my troops deserting?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

Looking in the traits trigger file is actually quite interesting. There's actually a number of positive traits triggerable by garrisoning towns with high public order (>40). Conversely, levelling up in a province that has low public order has a chance of giving you nasty global public order debuffs. This might give some pause to guys farming rebels for exp... though it's pretty unlikely at present.

I can't read scripts unfortunately. If someone is feeling kind they could intepret it and put up a page of what does what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As VC I have two trade partners. Talabecland and Karak Norn are my best friends, everyone else hates me.
(Mostly they like me because I drag them into wars then get +rep for beating up their new enemies)

• Locked thread