Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ludo Friend posted:

Migration games are great fun. Manfred decided he was gave no fucks about how precious homeland and sailed off to tilea.

Starting in a new position really changes up how the game plays. Wish there could be a mod that randomises starting positions for all factions, so I don't have to waste 10 turns getting to my new starting spot though!

I think having your leader choice give you a different starting position would be an interesting change. Like there's the vampire faction down by Brettonia - that would make a great alternate start.

It would also be cool if they imported the migration option from Attila, where you could convert your settled faction into a horde, and then resettle them again somewhere else. Maybe we'll see that in one of the future added races (are there any factions in the Warhammer lore that are migratory? Not pure hordes, but ones that picked up and moved somewhere else at some point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

I still wish there was some kind of visual indication for when they're "braced" vs not. Not only would it be a bit clearer when you're getting a defensive bonus, making it clearer which units you should let be charged vs counter-charging, it'd look better too.

For receiving charge vs. counter charging, it's basically whether or not they have that charge defense bonus. All units can brace, but without that bonus it only makes them less likely to be knocked down.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I just picked up the DLCs after putting the game down for a while - can someone give me a general overview of Beastmen's strengths/weaknesses as an army? Like what units should I be aiming for and what kind of general tactics should I be using? So far it seems like they're all extremely fragile, but the full moon campaign mechanic gives you the ability to replenish them very quickly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So playing chaos I'm awakening tribes and then declaring war on them and subjugating them to have them as vassals. But what keeps happening is every time I enter a new war (which happens pretty often since Chaos), they all refuse to join and go to war with me, even though they're all listed as "reliable" and have high relations with me. What's going on there?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

There isn't really that much point building vassals as Chaos. If you keep reliability up you can potentially make alliances with VC or Greenskins, which will be much more valuable to you.

Well it's less about having allies to help me fight and more about having places I can regenerate quickly without having to run all the way back to the chaos wastes. The main thing that's annoying is that if I JUST awaken them, I only get a military alliance with them, which leaves them free to declare wars on the other tribes, which they will inevitably do, thus forcing me to either break the alliance with them by declining the call to arms, or break the alliance with their target who I'd also awakened. I guess I can choose to just awaken one tribe only, but I've found that awakened tribes don't seem to like colonizing razed towns. So even if I leave the north totally open for the Baersongling by razing the Varg and Skaelings to extinction, they'll just sit there in the corner with their one town.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SickZip posted:

Autoresolve lies really really badly. It disproportionately loves certain units and underrated others. Did you have a bunch of range units? Autoresolve loves ranged units

That does explain the weird auto-resolve odds I was getting as Beastmen when I was fighting ambush battles against empire armies that were like 50% artillery. Like, the bar said the odds were 90% in favour of the empire despite the actual battle playing out with the artillery not being able to fire a single shot before getting mobbed and the rest of the army crumbling with like a dozen casualties total on my side.

I guess auto-resolve assumes ranged units will be working at full capacity the whole battle, rather than what actually happens in practice where they either get rushed and overrun by cavalry or they simply can't get a good angle to fire on the enemy when the melee joins.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 19, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So random question: is it ever really worth it to take shield infantry over GW infantry? Like given two units of equal tier (say, Chaos Warriors or Grave Knights), it seems like the only thing shields do is provide a chance to deflect ranged attacks from the front - they don't seem to get extra armour or melee defense or anything and it just seems like the damage/AP provided by great weapons has more utility.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was thinking GW vs shields in terms of the campaign - I know cost effectiveness is a big deal in MP but I find in campaign cost is less of a factor than the 20 unit per army cap.

On a related note, do you specialize your armies in campaign for specific roles or just have a single general setup you prefer? I'm never really sure what to do with artillery which is great in theory and super helpful during sieges, but in open field battles the AI likes to just charge its whole army at once into a big melee blob so art barely gets any shots off before it runs into "shot obstructed" issues.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the "more antagonists" thing will be fleshed out better as they release the major updates - right now the game is kind of divided into two major conflicts - empire vs. chaos (and vampires technically, but honestly vampires don't seem to do a whole lot under the AI), and dwarfs vs. greenskins. There isn't really much overlap between the factions just because of how the map is laid out - dwarfs buffer against greenskins so as Empire you'll rarely see them, ditto with Dwarfs and chaos. With more factions there will be more opportunities to border more than one race at a time, especially if it's something like Skaven who live right in the middle of Empire and Dwarf territory.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

revolther posted:

What are the chances they'll release a few races bundled eventually? Kinda don't want to drop an additional hundred dollars to feel like I have the whole game.

I don't know if they'll do a discount pack or anything, but the TW series often goes on sale during the big Steam sales so you can probably pick up the DLC then.

Bear in mind that you only need to buy the DLC to PLAY as the races. They will always be present in the campaign regardless of whether you own the DLC.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

Okay who the gently caress decided that being able to enter forced march after sacking a town was a good idea.

actually forced march in general is a pain in the dick and makes things more annoying for me way more than its useful. At least put a attrition modifier on it so i dont have armys forever marching around my backwoods until my witchhunters can get allllll the way from the frontier to deal with them.

Attrition on forced march would certainly help a lot to making it less of a pain in the rear end. Plus it does make sense that if you're pushing an army to the point of exhaustion for months at a time, some of them are just going to drop dead.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So this is something I've never been clear about in any TW game - does morale/leadership affect a unit's combat ability at all? Or is it just a thing where so long as they're >0 it doesn't make a difference? Basically should I use abilities that lower leadership just whenever, or only bother when a unit is wavering to push them over the line?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

There are short dudes in very big hats crewing the Hellcannon.

Is there any secret to forming trade agreements as VC, or is it just 'you can't'? I have lots of buildings that produce trade resources, but not much to do with them.

Lots of bribes. You can form trade agreements as VC but you are going to have to spend a lot of money just giving other factions gifts before they'll like you enough to trade with you. So if you do plan to do trading, you'll want to make sure it's with someone that you aren't going to be invading any time soon, since the trade agreements will have to be long term to make up for what you spent to get them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

You can't exactly do this, they break vassalization all the time. Chaos campaign is broken.

Yeah the old strategy of "just subjugate Norsca" doesn't work anymore because they'll all hate you so much that as soon as you declare war on someone, or someone declares war on you, they'll refuse the automatic call to arms and go "lol nope I also declare war on you".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yukitsu posted:

They removed misfire on all of the cannons in the game. Normally they explode one in thirty-six shots. The cannon was still supposed to be useful without the crew, but they didn't model that so instead they guaranteed it could always fire by letting the crew be unbreakable. I kind of prefer this over them making it a powerful melee monster that can crush things by itself.

I think the thing about cannon misfires is they just don't translate well to the Total War style of battle vs. tabletop. Like the tabletop has more randomness in general, but beyond that how many times are you actually going to fire a single cannon in the tabletop game? If it fires once per turn that's still only like 6 or so shots in a whole game. Meanwhile in TW they will usually exhaust their ammo supply if they're positioned well and don't get taken out prematurely. So having a random chance to blow up every shot would most likely see you losing your artillery every battle. Which honestly would be fine in multiplayer (aside from it being kind of random bullshit if it blows up on your first shot), but in the campaign it would be a massive pain in the rear end.

I'm curious how they're going to do Skaven since they are pretty heavily designed around the concept of having powerful but unreliable weapons so without misfires they'd both be really strong and kind of lose their flavour a bit.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Well, you can't copyright wood elves. But sylvawhatever, that you can put a little r on.

Yeah that's why orcs are now "Orrucs" but Skaven are still Skaven.

lilspooky posted:

I'm thinking they'd really have to. I don't know if you'd NEED the Man O' War license to use the ships from the lore. Hell just last night I noticed that when the dwarves embark an army it's the little Nautilus sub from Man O' War :kiddo:.

No naval battles with them adding Ulthuan, Naggaroth, and Lustria would be pretty stupid. Just would be curious what kind of vessels they'd give to races that never really had much described for them like the Undead.

Undead shouldn't use boats - they should just walk along the bottom.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 22, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheHoosier posted:

man I need the Skaven in this game like, yesterday. I agree with the poster who said that the skaven shouldn't have siege towers; just piles of dead clan rats tall enough to scale the walls.

Yeah Skaven are going to be interesting when they get added. I imagine they will probably be one of the core races of one of the sequel/expansion releases rather than a DLC thing - they've got enough unique mechanics that they'd probably have to design the rest of the content around them for it to work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's going to be interesting when they have all the factions in and there are like 4 separate apocalypse scenarios happening at the same time. It's going to end up like Attila where it's less about taking over the world and more just surviving.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

What's the K/D ratio to get a heroic victory again?

You won't actually have to get a heroic victory as Bret to get the blessing of the lady - any win has a random chance to give it to you. Heroic victories just guarantee you'll get it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

And because of that, it's basically impossible to get heroic victories with lots of zombies. Even 3 armies to 1 :(.

What tech tree do people think is the best for VC? Lahmian is great for the gold generation and all, but I seem to have much more success with Arkhan.

Fast zombies/skeletons role in with a lord/hero, everything dies in a pyhrric victory, the units you have left you disband, thus not paying gold in upkeep. The pyhrric battles give you lots of battle markers so you don't even need to tech to get knights and crap. When Chaos rolls in, you just hire lords, raise dead and just add more and more bodies to the count until they're dead.

Well sure, nothing heroic about sending waves of cannon fodder at your enemy. Even if they are just zombies.

(It would be funny if zombies basically just didn't count as kills or losses in any way - no effect on morale, not listed in the end of battle statistics. Actually maybe that's how the Skaven slave rats should work)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think they were better in Attila where you could burn down half the settlement and it would impact the defender's morale, so it gave you alternative strategies than just rushing the walls right away. Plus there was more variety in the settlement layout in general. In TW:W they are all kind of same-y.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

See this is what i mean, they really just need more maps, more variety, and maybe some more depth to them, like a secondary layer of defenses on some maps (im personally thinking dwarfs here with their super defensive mentality).

That and being able to mount artillery on walls like in previous TW titles would help a lot!

Yeah the multi-tiered castles from Shogun 2 were pretty cool and it would be nice to see those come back. On the other hand the AI just did not know what to do on those maps so maybe that's why they dropped them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

Shogun 2 is, at the least, the best of the historical games. I've yet to decide whether TWW is better.

Yeah Shogun 2 still holds up as a good, playable game. Earlier than that things get kind of janky but Shogun 2 is just solid all around. It's kind of hard to compare it to TWW because there are a lot of key differences between them, both in minor details like how units in Shogun 2 don't have health (if they get hit, they just die), and major ones, like the fact that every faction draws from the same unit pool so it's very balanced vs. Warhammer's factions all offering unique options.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the trouble with the unit size settings is that it's not really a performance thing at all but actually has meaningful impact on gameplay. In previous TW titles it was all fairly balanced at any setting because individual troops all had the same stats and unit size just meant there were more or less of them. But since Warhammer introduced units that are a lone guy, they can't quite scale the same way and there's probably no simple mathematical formula you could apply that WOULD scale them in a "fair" way. Like you have to consider not just their damage on attacks, but the AoE effects of their attacks as well - lower settings means that each swing is going to hit proportionally more of the troops in a given unit, thus just being more effective. It also means that there'd be less troops to surround them, so they could bug out of combat more easily than on higher settings.

Unit size in TWW is basically "how much impact do you want lords/certain monsters/magic to have on combat?"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cnidario posted:

AI is so useless against Chaos/Skaeling/Varg. Is this usually the case?

Yes. As far as I can tell they basically just ignore them while they burn all their poo poo down until maybe they're forced to confront them in their last city.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm kind of curious why they've been so coy about the Skaven. I mean they've dropped enough hints that it's pretty obvious they're going to be in the game, and they've been really open about the other 3 races. I guess it's just a marketing thing but it seems dumb.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Also there's now the possible factor that the whole Skaven teasing is a red herring, and they're going to be the FLC for the first game, although that's increasingly unlikely.

I'm actually kind of curious about this because I'm not super up to date on WFB lore, but aren't the Skaven mostly an old world thing? If they are going to be the 4th race in TW:W2 (as is implied but not explicitly stated), how would they interact with the other 3 in the new world?

Or maybe it's the kind of thing where they won't be in at release, but will be added when they do the big "mega-campaign" map merge that they said would come a bit after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
How well do etherial units do against Dwarves? They don't have a lot of magic damage, right? Seems like they'd do well against them. Although they might have just as much trouble hurting the Dwarves as the Dwarves do them.

• Locked thread