Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This is the most fun I've had with a Total War game since I started with Rome 1 and I've played every single one of these things. It is cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The issue is way minimized now that there is no corruption as it existed in the past games, so expansion is always a net sum. I felt the Empire campaign was the most fun as it remained challenging all the way to victory and on. Also that assessment is way wrong. Wissenland and Middenheim both border Reikland and each has three-region provinces. Reikland itself is the only human four-region province, and Marienburg has that unique money making port right next door.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They will just attack the Crossbows instead. Shoot them with the Crossbows when they're doing a fly-by, but otherwise keep reserves close to your artillery to guard them against fliers when fighting Vampire Counts. They don't really have ranged units, so they will have to die on the hill you choose to base your artillery at.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Stanley Pain posted:

I've seen the AI move in from just about offscreen, attack + sack a town and then move off screen again. The other way the AI "cheats" is that is knows exactly the distance it needs to be not to get counter attacked.

If you hover your mouse over an enemy army you too will have access to this cheat.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

rockopete posted:

What does RO mean?

Regional Occupation. The thing where factions are limited in where they can settle and occupy.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Skaven aren't even allied with Skaven. They'll cut a deal and then betray anyone.

For those who are interested, I've uploaded my faction army lists from ages ago to google docs for reading and re-posting. Be warned the spelling and formatting is wonky.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Byir1G2nXGs7eEVJTWNERkdTcms&usp=sharing

Sweet, I was thinking about those when playing this morning.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skaven should have an underempire map which you can switch to and it has like 30 Skaven factions and every single one has a 100% chance to accept/give alliance/trade/NAP offers, but then there is a 50% chance each round that they will break each agreement and declare war on a friend, sack their properties and immediately sue for peace.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Voyager I posted:

Can't wait for the angry shitpost about Skaven breaking an NAP.

Skavens' special campaign mechanic will be that you get a growing malus to public order every five turns without a broken diplomatic agreement.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crazy Russian modders are already on the case.

Like, it has barely started, but you can bet your rear end we'll have a fully featured Kislev before any DLC faction. You can trust Putin's Russia to make sure talented people will have no prospects in their future and will have no better venue for their creative urges than to make exceedingly detailed videogame conversions.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 14, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rakthar posted:

My issue is that both Hard and Very Hard have some issues:

Hard:
A bit too easy

Very Hard:
Your dudes lose every single 1:1 fight unless you have leveled the hell out of your general

The first 20-30 turns of campaigns are always exciting, I find that the losing equal matchups thing really sucks on Very Hard. As Orks my boyz are gonna lose to enemy Boyz and are gonna be evenly matched with Goblin Spearmen. That's going to last a while until I level Grimgor, get some gear, get some levels, and can make a decent army comp. Empire is brutal, you are charging reiksguard into the back of stuff as your guys melt to equivalent units.

It's all doable yet I find it feels lovely somehow. I get giving the AI advantages but the improvements to troop quality with the way melee attack / defense work are a bit unsatisfying.

Change battle difficulty in the campaign options to normal. I usually find Very Hard campaign with Normal battles to be the most fun setting in TW games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chomp8645 posted:

- Every faction suffers from the "spend half the campaign fighting your clones" shtick except maybe Dwarfs

I don't entirely disagree with the rest (poor Azhag), but I feel that is really innacurate, at least in my two campaigns. As the Empire I spent some time fighting the Secessionists, Middenheim and Marienburg, but that was pretty much done by turn 30 and the rest was dealing with the Norscans (gently caress the Norscans, holy poo poo), Chaos, Greenskins hordes, meddling in Bretonnia and eating the Vampire Counts. And as the Vampire Counts you are pretty much going to be done fighting other Vampire Counts between turn 10-20, since there aren't that many undead.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ravenfood posted:

Go back to the 100% physical resist Banshees please. How?

Give them items with Ward Saves. Depends on how lucky you are with item drops though, so you can't plan your setup with that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chomp8645 posted:

For those curious these are the rules CA is using for their tournament.

If these rules are indicative of what they have in mind for balance changes then I think we're on a good track.

I like that this rule means that if the final round is balanced then both players will have to use all five factions.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Anyone here has given this Southern Realms mod a shot?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

Mods like this are neat but they make me want to wait until people create more custom graphics for them. Like, in the Empire expansion mod, the Knights of Morr are just black-textured Reiksguard, completely lacking their spooky scary skull helms.

Are people able to import their own models into the game or is that restricted?

Model editor for TWW is still pending, I think.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deified Data posted:

How do you guys deal with attrition on foreign soil as VC? I'm used to being able to roam enemy lands for long campaigns of conquest, encamping when I need to replenish, but as far as I can tell VC can only replenish in friendly territory. This makes harassing the Dwarfs and Greenskins kind of a nightmare. I can raid all the way to their settlements but eventually I'm going to need to heal my units. Are you expected to make up for the heavy attrition with raise dead? A couple skeletons and zombies per turn isn't really a good replacement for Grave Guards and Vargheists...

Channeling stance lets you recover troup numbers and heal single-model units, but generally you don't want to spend too long in uncorrupted lands. Either build braziers and send agents to corrupt places you plan to raid, make the campaign swift or pick the skills that reduce attrition (in fact, I've specced two generals to reduce attrition in their forces and they're a great vanguard). The tech in the book of Lahmia that increases corruption in neighboring provinces is one of the most important to rush to.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Does the number of Chaos stacks during the final phase vary depending on your faction? In my first game as Empire (Chaos) I had to take out three waves of Chaos armies once Archaon showed up, but in my Vampire Counts (Very Hard) I only killed Archaon once, when I was expecting more waves than the previous game due to difficulty. What gives? Was I just fortunate enough to kill every single Chaos army before they respawned, triggering the death of the faction?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ilustforponydeath posted:

But my achievement!

Use SAM if it matters.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Black Coach is my biggest Total Warhammer disappointment in terms of getting poo poo done.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

terrorist ambulance posted:

In a new vh dwarf campaign I killed grimgors army (with a full stack) 3 times in 3 separate close and hard fought battles. He then respawned with a full stack and a waagh from their last two remaining regions ( I'd taken black crag, their last regions were like west of barak varr on the coast) and sacked karaz a karak while I was up north getting gunbad. Then confederated with the bloody spearz, who'd wiped out the northern dwarfs, and were back up to like 10 regions. loving very hard / impossible strategic layer is some bullshit sometimes

The Dwarf campaign is one long tango with Grimgor on VH (unless you manage to rush Black Crag before he gets the confederating train going), it is infuriating, but also awesome to have a regular foil in a Total War game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Chaos isn't getting another Legendary Hero because even CA wouldn't be dumb enough to release a DLC for a DLC.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeathSandwich posted:

I think someone was saying the ideal dwarf layout is to have 3-5 artillery (be it grudge throwers or cannons) and then equal parts melee and ranged in front of that in checkerboard formation. Let them come to you (they will come to you if you have siege superiority) and break on your super tough wall of beards.

I've been doing this, except with splitting my army into two blocks of mobile fortresses supporting each other. The AI usually engages one group, which allows the other to flank the attacking force despite the Dwarfen Short Legs, no idea how it'd work out in multiplayer.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

code:
Tweaked deployment zones and army setups for Kholek's Starcrusher Quest Battle.

At the start of the Starcrusher Quest Battle, the Greenskins will no longer flee.
I am so glad for this, I was doing the Quest Battles from the menu (it is more fun trying to tackle the scenarios without a top-tier army from the campaign) and I had failed this one like three times. Like, you have to face down a medium Greenskin force, then you get attacked by Fell Bats and Vargheists, then a Terrorgeist and finally an average army of skeletons, and all the scenario gives you is an army of lovely Marauders supported by Gore Beasts and Kholek and Sons. So far I've only managed to make it until the Terrorgeist, but by that point my army was way too attritioned to make it through.

Edit: I did wish they'd reduce the speed of Marauder Horsemen, or at least make them less likely to be recruited by Norscans.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 29, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is called the Vampire Death Star. Essentially you make an army of Wraiths and Crypt Horrors formed into a messy horde, with a Necromancer inside healing them. Their low HP value means that boosted Nehek is twice as effective at keeping the Wraiths alive.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gejnor posted:

Its not really wasted, since they are really good at making units rout with their morale debuff damage as well. They shoot slower but we're talking a 4 second difference here, and they miss less often too so i would imagine it evens out quite a bit.

Also, huh, it seems that was a thing you could do? Didn't even know you could tell your arty to fire at the ground instead of units.. welp i guess i learn new things every day! Seems a bit micro-y but should be useful, unless i manage to slaughter my own units doing so of course..

If you have direct hit artillery it is usually a good idea to position then in a support position to where you intend the lines to clash rather than behind the army so they can contribute during the actual fighting, as long as you can afford to maintain enough reserves there to fend off cavalry and your main force can punish the enemy infantry for trying to reach the artillery.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yukitsu posted:

And I'd also rather be wearing a suit of armour than not if I'm going to be napalmed, sure my suit's gonna roast me alive but being in a really hot suit that I might be able to peel off or extinguish in time is gotta be better than being entirely on fire.

Seems good. Uh... Spoilers for final third of the Witcher 3.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It was well deserved, they cost the same as Trolls and were a far better unit.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hate that CA keeps giving me reasons to zoom in when I know drat well I should be commanding from an eye in the sky.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Patch is live too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yukitsu posted:

I'm going to fling out what I'm thinking of right now and want to hear what people think about the rules. I'll have them finalized by Monday based on feedback and I'll have the brackets ready for the 8th.

I am one of the people interested and I am perfectly down with those rules, single elimination included.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Trujillo posted:

There's a discord a few of us have been using to organize a few casual matches that anyone can join, you can use it to organize the tournament too if you want so you don't have to make a new one:

https://discord.gg/gjDJUpQ

This should probably be stuck in the OP so more people can see it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Combat is pretty quick though, the fastest it's been in the Total War series.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Onmi posted:

Silver Seal quest, the options of break a drat or pursue the thief, do they make a difference?

Yes, if you don't break the dam the enemy will have reinforcements in the quest battle afterwards.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Onmi posted:

Is there a particular way to use Riflemen? Right now I just line them up in front of the melee and let the rifles murder whoever gets close (they absolutely shred morale) and then charge the melee forward when the rifle lines aren't being as worth while. Of course I'm a bad player, always wind up getting flanked by Cav forces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubTvOsTI88s

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh God, if it is Beastmen and they're priced the same as Chaos Warriors then that is exactly what I've got on my Steam Wallet. This friggin' game.

So Beastmen DLC, with Lore of Beasts (+ Amber Wizard) as FLC?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Edit: Alternately, you can just follow the url which is "beastmen tease banner" and go with that.

Good job, publicity people.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A full Bretonnia is only coming later because it is supposed to be the capstone of the FLC program for the first game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kainser posted:

Beastman units we aren't getting with the dlc:

Some of the coolest ones :(

I guess the Ghorgon got removed for having a similar role to the Giant, but it is a bloody crime to take away the Beastmen's airforce, specially the Jabberslythe.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Chomp8645 posted:

You know what would really be a good change for Chaos would be not having every single one of their quest battles take place against other Chaos forces out on the rear end end of the map.

Kholek fights Greenskins and Undead, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wafflecopper posted:

... are also probably going to be on hold until game 2 or 3. My money is on them being the big hype drawcard for a future installment, along with maybe a proper underworld map layer to replace the current underway system. I guess they could be an underway-using horde faction who can attack cities from underway stance but that would be a pretty lame cop-out when they're supposed to have their whole under-empire thing going on. Surface cities wouldn't make much sense for them though and I can't think of any other way to represent them.

Given that Beastmen aren't getting Forest Holds to compete with the Elves I am beginning to suspect that the Wood Elves are going to have a special kind of settlement - Athel Loren in her blank spot of the map - that is pretty much only theirs and will have a kind of semi-horde gameplay, having to complete missions and attack enemies out in the world while defending the Great Forest settlements. Skaven might get the same deal with Skavenblight between Tilea and Estalia, though I can see them competing for Holds with the Greenskins and Dwarfs.

• Locked thread